travelgrove travel forums

Forum

Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme

Forum > Europe & Russia > France > Amiens  
AlanK
posted by AlanK on 15 Jan 2012
Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme
What does the man like figure  near the Cathedral across form St. Leu represent? When we were there the river was very high and he was just above the water. Thanks. Alan

papillon
papillon responded to Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme on 18 Jan 2012
I am not sure what do you mean by this human figure, was it like a statue or something? Can you please be more precise?

andra88
andra88 responded to Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme on 13 Feb 2012
There are three oak statues in the water in St. Leu, I believe you have seen the one called l'Homme Sur Sa Bouee, it was made in 1993 by a German artist, whose name I cannot recall, and local students sometimes dress it up in all sorts of clothes clothes.

papillon
papillon responded to Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme on 13 Feb 2012
I have seen the wooden man once, first I thught someone was fishing. I do not know about any particular significance, maybe because it is so ... not taken care of, it represents the former inhabitants of the neighborhod from the time St. Leu was a dangerous area full of thieves, smugglers and other such people.

anonymous responded to Figure of a man in the middle of the Somme on 16 Sep 2012
I cannot recall, and local students sometimes dress it up in all sorts of clothes clothes.

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

Things about Amiens you might be interested in

Amiens Travel Guide

Amiens Sights

Amiens Nightlife

+ list your site here

Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals