Lille Travel Tips, France
Travel tips > Europe > France > Lille travel tips
Legend - Choose one or more of these Lille travel tip categories:
- General (5)
- History & Culture (1)
- Family & Fun (6)
- Outdoors Activities (1)
- Food (2)
- Sightseeing (15)
- Shopping (6)
- Public Transportation (3)
Browse Lille travel tips
Note: The map above will allow you to easily view other travelers' Lille travel tips. You can also select a tip category from below if you'd like to perform more specific searches. If you'd like to join in the fun and help other travelers out, we encourage you to post your own travel tips for Lille or any other city. Enjoy reading these tips and do not hesitate to ask about any details about any of these Lille travel tips.
Recent travel tips for Lille
- Église Sainte-CatherineSaint Catherine Church in Lille is a Medieval Masterpiece built in 1288, with the towers built in 1504. The huge tower was used in the 18th century for telegraph as well as a mean to announce fire, till the end of the 19th century. [...]D: 0.5mi00
- Musée de l’Hospice ComtesseWhile Pallais des Beaux Arts is the most famous museum in Lille, that doesn't mean it's the only one. One particular museum that I like a lot is Musée de l’Hospice Comtesse. This is build inside an old hospital, established in 1237. [...]D: 0.3mi10
- Caise D'allocations FamilialesIf you are a student in Lille, you can apply to CAF (Caise D'allocations Familiales), a form of help provided by the country for anyone that doesn't have a good material status. If you stay at a hostel, they usually cover a part of the cost [...]D: n/a00
- Belgian beer in 'The Pub'Being really close to the Belgian border, a few kilometers, belgian influences are to see everywhere. I want to stop now on Belgian Beer. This is a one of a kind beer and being so close to Belgium, in Lille you can find it, in stores at [...]D: n/a00
- The PubFor a traditional English drink in the heart of French territory, I recommend 'The Pub'. This is a sports bar, mostly English sports, that is located in 2, avenue du Peuple Belge. If you missed English and you want to hear again the [...]D: n/a00
- Herny Matisee ParkAnother nice green area is represented by the Herny Matisee Park, close to EuraLille. Henry Matisse was a grat French painter, one of the first initiators of Modern Art. Henry Matisse inherits some of the impressionism and neoimpressionism [...]D: n/a10
- Vabaun ParkJust on the Vabaun Street, there is a big park, called ... the Vabaun. The gardens spread over three hectares and what surprised me is that it tries to be as natural as possible, and it succeeds. It's really a oasis of relaxation and, maybe [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Parking cost in LilleIf you come in Lille by car and you are searching for a parking place, you must know that in Lille there are about 20,000 parking places, and the number of free spaces are always shown on indicators. The fares vary from 1.30 euros per hour [...]D: n/a00
- Musée des Canonniers SédentairesMusée des Canonniers Sédentaires (Cannons Museum) presents a lot of documents and relevant material about the battle from Sainte Barbe and the defense of Lille. There are about 3000 objects exposed, from the Napoleon Bonaparte era. The [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Services cost a lot in FranceSomething you should know, mainly if you come from a eastern country: in France services pay a lot: for example, I saw this year at a hypermarket's service some really big fares: if there is something wrong with your laptop and you want [...]D: n/a00
- A bit different ruling about crossing the streetOne interesting aspect about crossing the street: when the cars have a red light, but also the pedestrians have the same red light on the traffic lights, the pedestrians can cross the street, they have the priority. For them to see the [...]D: n/a00
- Student accomodationIf you are a student seeking accommodation in Lille, you should know that you can find anything for your money. For example, during my stay in Lille in 2009, I stayed at a 100 euros/month hostel room, with only about 6 square meters and the [...]D: n/a00
- Cinemas in LilleIf you are seeking for a cinema in Lille, I must tell you that there are two quite big cinemas exactly in the city center. The smaller one, I think only 7 screens, shows mainly cultural movies, while the big Hollywood blockbusters are [...]D: 1mi00
- DecathlonBecause Decathlon is originating from Lille, the famous sports selling brand has near Lille (in fact it's inside it's Metropolitan Area) the biggest sporting hypermarket in the world. It's so huge that I hardly saw general purpose [...]D: 3.1mi40
- Notre-Dame-de-la-TreilleBasilique-cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille de Lille is the newest church in town, being finished in 1999, after its construction started in 1854. It is situated in the Old Lille part of the town, and the style of the building is [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Champion supermarketsWhen I was in Lille, in 2007 most of the shopping I made for food and the necessary things was in Champion's supermarkets. They were acquired by Carrefour. One interesting thing about this shops is that some of them are opened on Sunday, [...]D: 1.8mi00
- Carreful about stores closing hoursAnother thing about shopping in Lille in particular and in France in general: usually most of the stores close at about 8 PM, some of them stay open until 9 PM, but after this only here and there a 24 hours shop. Expect to see significantly [...]D: n/a00
- Noon break cumpolsory in FranceOne thing about Lille and the rest of the France Also: French use a noon break that is cumpolsory by law. The break is for an hour and a half, and each store has the choice to chose the hours: most of the cases this hours are between 12 and [...]D: n/a00
- Lidl Stores - cheap foodFor the cheapest store food in Lille, I recommend Lidl stores. They don't shine by modernism or fancy design, but products there are really cheap. The one we used to shop is located on Rue Léon Gambetta and it's open until 8 PM, at least [...]D: n/a02
- Lille's CitadelLille's Citadel is a pentagonal shape wall surrounded by a huge park, and a walkway where I saw numerous persons taking the regular jogging. The Citadel was built around 1668, and nowadays it still houses French Military and its operations [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Opening hours for the ZooThe Zoo in Lille has different opening times depending on the season: Monday to Friday from 9 to 5:30 PM, Saturday, Sunday and holidays: 10 AM to 4:30 PM. In winter, the schedule is from 10 AM to 4:30 PM. For this zoo there is no entry fee. [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Location of the ZooLille Zoo is one of the most spectacular sights in the city. With an open-air perspective on the Zoo, it manages to create a special habitat for animals there. The zoo is located inside the Lille Citadel, that can be easily reach by metro [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Église Saint-MauriceHidden by numerous trees, near Gare Lille Flandre (about 10-15 minutes of walking) lies the Église Saint-Maurice a imposing church which construction spans over 5 centuries, from the 14th century up to the 19th century. There is no [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Opening hours and ticket fee for Forum des ScientesForum des Scientes (Forum of Science) is situated at metro station Villeneuve d'Ascq Hôtel de Ville, direction 4 Cantons. It is opened from Tuesday to Friday from 10 AM to 5:30 PM and Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM. [...]D: 3.3mi00
- Museum of Natural History and GeologyAnother museum that is indeed really impressive is The Museum of Natural History and Geology (Musée d'Histoire Naturelle et de Géologie). The museum has numerous permanent and temporary exibitions, the fares being different in this case. [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Charles de Gaulle Memorial HouseA fact not known by many is that the famous Charles de Gaulle was born in Lille, 22 November 1890. Of course there is a memorial house that keeps souvenirs and family objects from when Charles was only a young boy. The fees are 6 euros full [...]D: n/a00
- Opening Hours to Palais des Beaux ArtsPalais des Beaux Arts is opened on Monday from 2 pm to 6 PM (a strange thing as many other museums are closed on Monday). Palais des Beaux-Arts is closed on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday it's opened from [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Hot to get to Palais des Beaux-ArtsThe best way to arrive to Palais des Beaux-Arts is by metro. Metro line 1 has a stop next to the museum. Line 74 of the bus also stops very close to the museum, and even a walking is recommended as the Museums is like 10 minutes away from [...]D: 0.6mi00
- First Sunday, each month, free entrance to the museumsIn France, or at least in Lille, there is a tradition that each first Sunday of each month is free of charge in all the museums. Coincidence or not, in that period all the museums are filled with people, even if during the whole month the [...]D: n/a00
- Entry fees for Palais des Beaux Arts LilleBetween 15 mars 2009 and 31 August 2009, the entry fees for the Palais des Beaux Arts are the following: 6 euros for an adult, and 4 euros for children and youngsters between 12 and 25 years old. For scholar groups, the entry is 4 euros [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Palais des Beaux-ArtsWhile Paris's Louvre is well known all around the world, Palais des Beaux-Arts in Lille hasn't have the same privilege. This is happening, even if this museum is the second most important in France. Here you can see paintings starting from [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Zoo in LilleIf you are looking for 'fun for free' in Lille, one suggestion is The Zoo. The zoo is located inside the town's citadel (La Citadelle), in a really big park. The zoo is opened every weekday from 9 AM to 6 PM and in weekends and holidays [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Le Forum des SciencesBecause I know many people enjoy this (including myself), I want to say that in Lille you can find a Planetarium, even a really nice one. It is located inside 'Le Forum des Sciences', a tribute to science all across the world. The entry [...]D: 3.3mi00
- Marché de WazemmesOn Rue Gambetta, there is a market called Wazemmes (Marché de Wazemmes), that is opened every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, from morning until 1-2 PM. After the market closes the whole place becomes a parking place. Wazemmes is very big [...]D: n/a00
- Fête du CinemaIn France (so obviously in Lille too), there is a so called 'Fête du Cinema' (The Festival of Cinema). What's interesting about it is this: you buy a movie ticket somewhere in France, full price (or with reduction, if applies). You get a [...]D: n/a00
- Some Lille taxi phone numbersFinding a taxi in Lille can a be a rather stiff job, as there are not at every street corner as one would expect. You can find a lot next to the train stations (Gare Lille Flandre and Gare Lille Europe), a few next to bigger hotels, and a [...]D: n/a00
- Important metro tipIf you are thinking to walk through the streets of Lille during the night you should be aware that the last metro is at 00:30, even before for some routes. You can check the timetable and prices on their transport company official site: [...]D: n/a00
- French kindnessIn France, do not hesitate to ask people on the street for directions or anything you are interested to know. French people will be most happy to help you, but the other side of the coin is that they too ask immediately if they have doubts [...]D: n/a00
- Lille metro warningDo not travel without a ticket on Lille's metro, trams, or buses. The fine is 40 euros and that's not cheap. [...]D: n/a00
Things about Lille you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are at Cologne and you are interested in history, but you also want to go on a walk, you should visit the remnants of the roman auqeduct of...
History & Culture: The roman auqeduct
If you happen to go to Kecskemét do not miss out the famous 'Cifrapalota' which will surely attract you with its beautiful folk-art-motifs. You...
Sightseeing: Cifrapalota, Kecskemet
Golden Triangle Tour, Ranthambore Tour, South India Tour, Rajasthan With Goa Tour
General: Tour and Travel in India
Tripoli - Sabrata - Nalut - Ghadames - Ghat - Acacus - Murzuk Sand Sea -Wadi Mathendoush - Germa - Ubari Sand Sea – Desert Lakes - Sabha -...
General: Detailed tour tip
Essaouria is a beach town in south east morocco. Every city in Morocco has a Medina, which means old town. The entire medina is surrounded by a...
Sightseeing: Gates of Essaouira
Don't give money to beggars on the streets, give food or help out in their community.
Sightseeing: Philippine eco-cultural adventure specialist
Alba Iulia, Romania
The Carolina Fortress of Alba Iulia is considered one of the seven wonders of Romania. It is a compelling group of buildings in very good state and...
History & Culture: Carolina Fortress
If you are at the Lake Saint Ana, it has a great Bell Vedere point, from it you can se the entire lake
General: Lake Saint Ana
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Everyone's favorite in Oklahoma City and no wonder, the Big Truck Tacos serves the most delllicious Mexican food you will eat anywhere in town....
Food: Big Truck Tacos
Hong Kong, China
This is something you definitely must see if you are in Hong Kong. Voctoria Harbour is simply fabulous and very busy. This is the greatest view...
Sightseeing: Victoria Harbour