The Historic Center of Saint Petersburg, Russia
Travel tips > Europe > Russia > Saint Petersburg > The Historic Center of Saint Petersburg
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The historic center is actually a UNESCO world heritage site, and for good reason. There are dozens, if not hundreds of amazing buildings there. Unfortunately, the city officials are planning to build a sky-scraper in the old city center, so I advise you to visit it before the historic landscape is marred (although if the protests of the locals will be taken seriously, the officials will give up their plan).
Anyway, enjoy a long stroll among some of the most beautiful buildings in Russia, some of which date back to the 18th century.
Free! Unless you want to stop for a cup of good Russian tea on the way.
Recent travel tips for Saint Petersburg
- Na Zdorovye! RestaurantThe name of the restaurant alone, coupled with the fact that it looks like the peak of Soviet kitsch, might lead some people to believe that it is a tourist trap. But it really isn't, so don't let the decor keep you out! This is a [...]D: n/a00
- Geschichte und KulturSankt Petersburg ist eine sehr schöne Stadt mit viel Geschichte und Kultur. [...]D: n/a00
- KunstkameraKustkamera museum contains over a million exhibits gathered from all over the world, and it is the oldest state museum in Russia, dating back to the reign of Peter the Great. However, the main attraction of the museum is a gallery [...]D: n/a00
- The Field of MarsSaint Petersburg boasts that it has more green space than Paris, and while I'm no judge of that, I can tell you for sure that there is no lack of wonderful parks in the city. One of my personal favorites is the Field of Mars, a park [...]D: 13.5mi00
- A2 ClubNightlife in Saint Petersburg is thriving, as expected from such a vibrant city. A2 Club is one of the best clubs in town if you ask me (and I'm sure many of the locals would agree). The club was founded by a member of a famous Russian [...]D: n/a00
Things about Saint Petersburg you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
DHAKA CITY TOUR (HALF DAY) Normally this tour will be in the morning and will last 3-4 hours. On this tour our experienced guide will show you ...
General: Dhaka travel guide
Located on the northern part of Lhasa is the residence of the Dalai Lama, the leader of the Buddhist religion. The Palace is also a World Heritage...
History & Culture: Potala Palace
Bat Dat Royal is a nice little Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant near the city center of Freiburg. They have a pretty good buffet and at night they...
Food: Bat Dat Royal China-Vietnam Restaurant
On my 1st trip to Quito, I got incredibly sick. First I thought it was food poisoning but it was suggested I had altitude sickness. We flew from...
General: Beware of Altitude sickness
Belfast, United Kingdom
The wall Murals of Belfast are the symbols of the city. They depict the division of the streets and neighborhoods according to political an...
Sightseeing: The famous Murals
If you're in Esztergom you must visit the Basilica (the Primatial Basilica of the Blessed Virgin Mary Assumed Into Heaven and St Adalbert). Besides...
Sightseeing: Esztergom Basilica
Petra is now one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is a fabulous place from the Eastern tales, simply breathtaking. The old city was...
History & Culture: The Ancient City
When you head into Izmir, you might wander why because it's not really a sight seeing place. But don't worry, if you head to the water and walk...
Sightseeing: The Big Statue of Attaturk
Raleigh, North Carolina
For a taste of some real 19th century history, you should definitely go to the Historic Oakwood district which is the only remaining, intact area...
History & Culture: Historic Oakwood
The reason why the food was so good at the Mezzo Restaurant is maybe because they prepare everything daily. The sauces and other preparations are...
Food: Mezzo Restaurant