The Forbidden City, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > The Forbidden City
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The most visited location inside the walls is the palace's biggest hall, where many ceremonies were conducted (like the coronation of the Emperors). A disappointing fact is that you're not allowed to enter any other building, you can only look at them through a gate. Being such a popular attraction, there are large crowds outside and inside the walls, so be prepared.
An interesting thing about the buildings is that the dominant color in them is yellow, symbolizing the royal family. The roof tiles of every building is yellow colored, except one, the Royal Library, this one having a black roof. It was said that black represented water in the old times, and thus the library would be protected by fire if it has a black roof. Pretty interesting, I'd say. :)
Tiananmen Dong, through Tiananmen Gate, Dongcheng
CNY 60 (summer), CNY 40 (winter)
How to get there:
Take Tiananmen East (116) or Tiananmen West (117) Line 1 subway and walk behind Mao's picture. Or go by subway or walk from Wangfujing Street.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- The Summer Palace in BeijingThe Emperor's getaway for centuries, the Summer Palace is the greatest and grandest imperial garden in whole China. Built as a place of recreation and rest for the emperor, the garden encompasses everything that is peaceful, harmonious and [...]D: n/a00
- The Shangri-La Hotel in BeijingI had an amazing vacation and a superb stay in this upscale hotel the last time I visited Beijing. Truly a five-star-hotel, it was equipped with everything that could make your stay as enjoyable as it can be. It doesn't show from outside, [...]D: 12.3mi00
- Liulichang Culture Street in BeijingTo feel and experience a little bit of historical China and explore a part of Beijing that is full of folklore and Chinese culture, than you must visit Liulichang Street in Xuanwu District, juts south of the Peace Gate. This street is full [...]D: n/a00
- The Red Wall Hotel in BeijingThe best thing about the Red Wall Hotel was that it was really close to the main attractions that we wanted to visit, such as the Forbidden City, Beihai Park and Tiananmen Square. Though I didn't expect so much from the hotel, I've read [...]D: 10.5mi00
- The Ming Tombs in BeijingIt was built originally for the emperor Zhu Di and his empresses, holding the name of Changling, than later mausoleums of other 12 emperors and their empresses were built around the main tomb. Interestingly the tomb of the first emperor who [...]D: n/a00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
In der Nähe von Immenstaad gibt es einen schönen großen Abenteuerpark, wo man Klettert. Auch wenn man ein bisschen Höchenangst hat, ist es dort...
General: Nahe von Immenstaad
Bonao, Dominican Republic
Travel to the mountains of the caribbean. Climb the highest peak of the Caribbean. Pico Duarte
Outdoors Activities: Hotel Gold Premium
For all you beach lovers out there, this is a must when in Croatia. Considered to be the best beach in Croatia because of shape, it is a peninsula...
Beaches : Zlatni Rat
If you don't want to pay for parking to the aqua park you can park just near it in some streets without any restriction.
General: Parking tip
The choice to rent a house for your next vacation can be an exciting and enjoyable experience. Unlike with a hotel or a condominium, you are able...
Beaches : Indian Rocks Vacation Rentals
It was a trip to the Entertainment Capital of the World; excitement was at its heights. It was not a bachelor party, neither a hush-hush...
Family & Fun: Reveling at Vegas – Getting Attracted to Distractions
You should really take yourself time for at least one day or better a whole weekend.
General: Visiting the ancient roman city
Hi, Antalya is a very beautiful place and the environment here is very refreshing. It Attracts the visitors from all over the world. So One needs a...
Public Transportation: Reach your final destination safely and comfortably.
The heart of Aurora is packed with restaurants, bars, shops and malls. You can get some souvenirs for your loved ones who stayed home, or just some...
Shopping: Aurora City Place
Key West, Florida
We had breakfast, lunch AND dinner in this cozy little restaurant, because the food is just delicious. They have a light dishes in the morning like...
Food: Pepe's Cafe and Steakhouse in Key West