The Forbidden City, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > The Forbidden City
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The most visited location inside the walls is the palace's biggest hall, where many ceremonies were conducted (like the coronation of the Emperors). A disappointing fact is that you're not allowed to enter any other building, you can only look at them through a gate. Being such a popular attraction, there are large crowds outside and inside the walls, so be prepared.
An interesting thing about the buildings is that the dominant color in them is yellow, symbolizing the royal family. The roof tiles of every building is yellow colored, except one, the Royal Library, this one having a black roof. It was said that black represented water in the old times, and thus the library would be protected by fire if it has a black roof. Pretty interesting, I'd say. :)
Tiananmen Dong, through Tiananmen Gate, Dongcheng
CNY 60 (summer), CNY 40 (winter)
How to get there:
Take Tiananmen East (116) or Tiananmen West (117) Line 1 subway and walk behind Mao's picture. Or go by subway or walk from Wangfujing Street.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- The Summer Palace in BeijingThe Emperor's getaway for centuries, the Summer Palace is the greatest and grandest imperial garden in whole China. Built as a place of recreation and rest for the emperor, the garden encompasses everything that is peaceful, harmonious and [...]D: n/a00
- The Shangri-La Hotel in BeijingI had an amazing vacation and a superb stay in this upscale hotel the last time I visited Beijing. Truly a five-star-hotel, it was equipped with everything that could make your stay as enjoyable as it can be. It doesn't show from outside, [...]D: 12.3mi00
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel in BeijingThe Crowne Plaza was renovated and remodeled in 2005 and though it doesn't have the typical Chinese charm it is a very comfortable, elegant and modern place which is about 20-minutes walk to the Forbidden City and other major attractions. [...]D: 10mi00
- Liulichang Culture Street in BeijingTo feel and experience a little bit of historical China and explore a part of Beijing that is full of folklore and Chinese culture, than you must visit Liulichang Street in Xuanwu District, juts south of the Peace Gate. This street is full [...]D: n/a00
- Tiananmen SquareTiananmen Square is the larges public square in the world. Its name means Gate of Heavenly Peace and is one of the symbols of Beijing. You surely remember the confrontations between demonstrators and soldiers in 1989. You may have also [...]D: 9.2mi00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The town of Zamora was founded by the Romans and is located one hour north of Salamanca and one hour west of Portugal. The city is famous for the...
Sightseeing: The town of Zamora
If you visit Blesle, don't miss the Antiquities Shop on the Rue de la Bonale. They have many nice things, objects for everyday use and decoration....
My opinion is that the best place you can choose for relaxing in Miskolc is the cave bath. It is a bath formed from a real cave. It is an...
General: Swimming inside a real cave
Antony is the best place to eat in all Ostuni. It's run by the owner family and they really make you feel yourself at home all the time. Prices are...
Petra is now one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is a fabulous place from the Eastern tales, simply breathtaking. The old city was...
History & Culture: The Ancient City
Essaouria is a beach town in south east morocco. Every city in Morocco has a Medina, which means old town. The entire medina is surrounded by a...
Sightseeing: Gates of Essaouira
The infamous Tannery is the location where all leather is made in Morocco. There are Tanneries in many cities but the Fes Tannery is famous and you...
This burial ground is located in the south of Marrakesh and it is a beautiful example of the Arabic art and architecture. It is a burial place...
Sightseeing: The Saadian Tombs
The monastery, that has been built 500 years ago, is one of the most amazing sights in Portugal. Its unique architecture, its white 'clean'...
History & Culture: The Monastery of St. Jerome
I was amazed every time I wen to Lindey's, because their top-notch service and excellent quality food never seized to amaze me. I really...