The Forbidden City, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > The Forbidden City
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The most visited location inside the walls is the palace's biggest hall, where many ceremonies were conducted (like the coronation of the Emperors). A disappointing fact is that you're not allowed to enter any other building, you can only look at them through a gate. Being such a popular attraction, there are large crowds outside and inside the walls, so be prepared.
An interesting thing about the buildings is that the dominant color in them is yellow, symbolizing the royal family. The roof tiles of every building is yellow colored, except one, the Royal Library, this one having a black roof. It was said that black represented water in the old times, and thus the library would be protected by fire if it has a black roof. Pretty interesting, I'd say. :)
Tiananmen Dong, through Tiananmen Gate, Dongcheng
CNY 60 (summer), CNY 40 (winter)
How to get there:
Take Tiananmen East (116) or Tiananmen West (117) Line 1 subway and walk behind Mao's picture. Or go by subway or walk from Wangfujing Street.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- Liulichang Culture Street in BeijingTo feel and experience a little bit of historical China and explore a part of Beijing that is full of folklore and Chinese culture, than you must visit Liulichang Street in Xuanwu District, juts south of the Peace Gate. This street is full [...]D: n/a00
- Fangshan Restaurant in BeijingWe've never tasted a deliciously and elaborately prepared meal such as the one we had at the Fangshan Restaurant in Beihai Park. This restaurant is famous for its imperial cuisine, serving dishes that were made for the emperors. The name of [...]D: n/a00
- The Shangri-La Hotel in BeijingI had an amazing vacation and a superb stay in this upscale hotel the last time I visited Beijing. Truly a five-star-hotel, it was equipped with everything that could make your stay as enjoyable as it can be. It doesn't show from outside, [...]D: 12.3mi00
- The Great Wall of ChinaOne of the 7 wonders of the world and a man-made architectural sight that is visible from space, the Great Wall of China is a MUST-SEE if you travel to Beijing, or for that matter, to China. The wall has various stopping points where you [...]D: n/a00
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel in BeijingThe Crowne Plaza was renovated and remodeled in 2005 and though it doesn't have the typical Chinese charm it is a very comfortable, elegant and modern place which is about 20-minutes walk to the Forbidden City and other major attractions. [...]D: 10mi00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
There are many beautiful and well preserved Victorian houses in Charlottetown, but most of them are private property and people live in them so you...
History & Culture: Beaconsfield Historic House
If you like walking, travel along the trace of the old roman waterpipe, nearly 100km long. You can enjoy a nice nature and see the leftovers of...
General: The roman waterpipe
The Gothic style Cathedral is the main attraction of the city. It would be really hard to miss it because it's huge. It was built from volcanic...
History & Culture: Cathedral Notre Dame
There is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy...
Sightseeing: Icon workshop in Kalambaka
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
Have fun cruising effortlessly through the timeless streets of Florence on the coolest rides of the 21st century. The Segway Tour experience is the...
Sightseeing: Florence Segway Tour
The Angio d'Or, ot Golden Angel is a very nice little place with acceptable prices. The atmosphere is very intimate and I was told that the...
Food: Angiol d'Or
Seoul, South Korea
To see and 'experience' some of the traditional side of Seoul a visit to the Bukchon Hanok Village is a worthwhile thing. There are...
History & Culture: Bukchon Hanok Village
Overland Park, Kansas
Place Delicate clothing can be placed between two dry cleaner bags and then fold the item and pack. The garment will not have any fold creases and...
General: Place Delicate
Going to visit family n friends in paradise!
General: Family n friends