The Forbidden City, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > The Forbidden City
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The most visited location inside the walls is the palace's biggest hall, where many ceremonies were conducted (like the coronation of the Emperors). A disappointing fact is that you're not allowed to enter any other building, you can only look at them through a gate. Being such a popular attraction, there are large crowds outside and inside the walls, so be prepared.
An interesting thing about the buildings is that the dominant color in them is yellow, symbolizing the royal family. The roof tiles of every building is yellow colored, except one, the Royal Library, this one having a black roof. It was said that black represented water in the old times, and thus the library would be protected by fire if it has a black roof. Pretty interesting, I'd say. :)
Tiananmen Dong, through Tiananmen Gate, Dongcheng
CNY 60 (summer), CNY 40 (winter)
How to get there:
Take Tiananmen East (116) or Tiananmen West (117) Line 1 subway and walk behind Mao's picture. Or go by subway or walk from Wangfujing Street.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- The Red Wall Hotel in BeijingThe best thing about the Red Wall Hotel was that it was really close to the main attractions that we wanted to visit, such as the Forbidden City, Beihai Park and Tiananmen Square. Though I didn't expect so much from the hotel, I've read [...]D: 10.5mi00
- Tiananmen Square in BeijingThe square is one of the most visited sights in Beijing, if not in China. It is a huge place, filled with locals and tourists alike and is the favored place of kite-fliers. You can watch many children running around, flying their kites. [...]D: n/a00
- The Lama Temple in BeijingDating back to the Qing dynasty, the Lama Temple is the most magnificent Buddhist temple in China. Built similarly to other great imperial buildings, with golden-tiled rooftops, red walls, multi-colored glaze tiles, the temple's [...]D: n/a00
- The Ming Tombs in BeijingIt was built originally for the emperor Zhu Di and his empresses, holding the name of Changling, than later mausoleums of other 12 emperors and their empresses were built around the main tomb. Interestingly the tomb of the first emperor who [...]D: n/a00
- Fangshan Restaurant in BeijingWe've never tasted a deliciously and elaborately prepared meal such as the one we had at the Fangshan Restaurant in Beihai Park. This restaurant is famous for its imperial cuisine, serving dishes that were made for the emperors. The name of [...]D: n/a00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Visit the museum of the german railway.
Sightseeing: Railway Museum
The building s the mortuary temple of the first known female pharaoh, Hatshepsut, who reigned in the 15th century BC. She was one of the most...
History & Culture: Hatshepsut Temple
Aire de Sevilla is the best bath I have ever been to. They don't only have baths but also massage, aromatherapy and all kinds of treatments. My...
Night Life & Entertainment: Aire de Sevilla
Avebury, United Kingdom
This village, Avebury is located in Wiltshire, in southern England. Here you can find the largest neolithic stone circle in England constructed...
Outdoors Activities: Avebury Henge
VIVA VINO JAZZ CLUB. Cool Jazz, great wine and beer, not to mention top of the line tequilas, a visit to this CLUB is a must. Whether you choose to...
Night Life & Entertainment: Viva Vino Jazz Club
Singapore City, Singapore
This is a burger for those strict veggie eaters out there. I have not tried some myself, because me and veggies are far apart. But a close friend...
Food: The Burger for the Vegan
Cary, North Carolina
There is a great Paris metro app called Zuti for $5 that helps you navigate the system without looking very touristy carrying around a map.
Public Transportation: Paris Metro
I have never seen a house from which only the pillars remained after it burned down. When I saw the mansion in rural Lauderdale County I was amazed...
History & Culture: Forks of Cypress, a Mysterious Plantation
Herman Park is in the heart of Houston and it's a perfect spot for a sunny afternoon. In the center of the park there is a lake with benches on the...
Outdoors Activities: Hermann Park in Houston
It was one of the best ways to learn more about the city and its history. The e2ride Bike Tours have several guided tours and we plan to take part...
Outdoors Activities: E2ride Bike Tours