Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > Tiananmen Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
You surely remember the confrontations between demonstrators and soldiers in 1989. You may have also seen the famous photo with the Chinese student standing in front of a tank trying to stop it. This is the heritage of the Tienanmen Square, it is a great memento of those who stood up against the communist repression.
Mao's picture hangs on the Gate of the square and communist style buildings surround the place, like Mao's Mausoleum, the Chinese National Museum and others.
If you want to know more about the Communism, this is one of the places for pilgrimage.
The Square is free, but you have to pay to go through the Gate.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- The Temple of HeavenBigger than the Forbidden city, this park and religious complex is one of the main attractions of Beijing. Originally built during the Ming and Qing Dynasty, as the worshiping place of the emperor, the park is now a social center for locals [...]D: n/a00
- The Forbidden CityBuilt in 1420, the Forbidden City has been the sacred place of emperors, and was unreachable for any other man. Consisting of buildings, courtyards, gardens and halls, the 'city' is one of the world's largest palace complexes. The most [...]D: n/a00
- Beijing HutongsHutongs are known as small passageways or streets, originated from the Yuan dynasty. They are the symbols of the everyday life of common people. And because so many locals who lived in these hutongs were happy with their ways of life, it [...]D: 11.5mi00
- The Red Wall Hotel in BeijingThe best thing about the Red Wall Hotel was that it was really close to the main attractions that we wanted to visit, such as the Forbidden City, Beihai Park and Tiananmen Square. Though I didn't expect so much from the hotel, I've read [...]D: 10.5mi00
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel in BeijingThe Crowne Plaza was renovated and remodeled in 2005 and though it doesn't have the typical Chinese charm it is a very comfortable, elegant and modern place which is about 20-minutes walk to the Forbidden City and other major attractions. [...]D: 10mi00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Close to Montepeiller, there is the village St. Guilhem le Désert. This medieval village is one of the most beautiful ones of France and lies on...
Food: St. Guilhem le Désert
If you´re interested in ancient greek culture, you shouldn´t miss the ancient city of Argos, with it´s theater, cut in the rocks and the agora.
General: The ancient city
The Rotunda is also known by the name of Agios Giorgos. It was first a Roman mausoleum, then a Christian church and later a mosque, quite a history...
History & Culture: The Rotunda
If you do something like island hoping or if you just make a stop during your travel to Crete at Santorini, you have got to climb up the hills and...
General: Insland of Santorini/Thira
Pelion Mountain is very close to the city of Volos, you can easily reach it from the city by taking the bus. There are so many amazing things there...
Outdoors Activities: Pelion Mountain
If you are around, take yourself at least time for one day, to watch the ancient city weith it´s temple ruins and houses. But you should be there...
History & Culture: Mayan temples
VIVA VINO JAZZ CLUB. Cool Jazz, great wine and beer, not to mention top of the line tequilas, a visit to this CLUB is a must. Whether you choose to...
Night Life & Entertainment: Viva Vino Jazz Club
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I just love unique jewelry and especially those beautiful pieces that have a cultural connotation. And each time I travel abroad I like to take...
Shopping: Skip Maisel's
Getting away from the city into a wilderness that has so much to offer is always a new challenge. Near Lexington the Raven Run Nature Sanctuary has...
Outdoors Activities: Raven Run Nature Sanctuary
The Hue cuisine is distinct and is considered one of the best in Vietnam. The list available includes Hue traditional food and Royal Cuisine food...
General: What to eat in Hue