Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China
Travel tips > Asia > China > Beijing > Tiananmen Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
You surely remember the confrontations between demonstrators and soldiers in 1989. You may have also seen the famous photo with the Chinese student standing in front of a tank trying to stop it. This is the heritage of the Tienanmen Square, it is a great memento of those who stood up against the communist repression.
Mao's picture hangs on the Gate of the square and communist style buildings surround the place, like Mao's Mausoleum, the Chinese National Museum and others.
If you want to know more about the Communism, this is one of the places for pilgrimage.
The Square is free, but you have to pay to go through the Gate.
Recent travel tips for Beijing
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel in BeijingThe Crowne Plaza was renovated and remodeled in 2005 and though it doesn't have the typical Chinese charm it is a very comfortable, elegant and modern place which is about 20-minutes walk to the Forbidden City and other major attractions. [...]D: 10mi00
- Tiananmen Square in BeijingThe square is one of the most visited sights in Beijing, if not in China. It is a huge place, filled with locals and tourists alike and is the favored place of kite-fliers. You can watch many children running around, flying their kites. [...]D: n/a00
- The Ming Tombs in BeijingIt was built originally for the emperor Zhu Di and his empresses, holding the name of Changling, than later mausoleums of other 12 emperors and their empresses were built around the main tomb. Interestingly the tomb of the first emperor who [...]D: n/a00
- The Summer Palace in BeijingThe Emperor's getaway for centuries, the Summer Palace is the greatest and grandest imperial garden in whole China. Built as a place of recreation and rest for the emperor, the garden encompasses everything that is peaceful, harmonious and [...]D: n/a00
- Beijing HutongsHutongs are known as small passageways or streets, originated from the Yuan dynasty. They are the symbols of the everyday life of common people. And because so many locals who lived in these hutongs were happy with their ways of life, it [...]D: 11.5mi00
Things about Beijing you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are going to Constance, coming from the north of germany, direction of Ravensburg, take the ferry at Meersburg. It will save you at least 30...
Public Transportation: Taking a shortcut to the city
The same opening hours apply in the whole country. Stores and supermarkets are opened mostly between 9am and 6pm. Thursday evenings are special,...
General: General opening times
Whitsunday Islands situated Queensland Capital at Australia. Whitsunday Island can divide into four groups like Northern, Lindeman, The...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
Hey, don't forget to buy some of the traditional hand made puppets and jaipuri quilts from the town. The area near Hawa Mahal has a lot of shops...
Shopping: The Hawa Mahal shops
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
# 1 Relaxed at untouched and idyllic beaches Not everyone are interested in crowded beach party places, there still some travelers who prefer a...
General: Top Luxury Experiences when Traveling in Cambodia
Tour 1 – Ancient Heritage between Sea and Desert First Day Arrival in Tripoli and Transfer to Gharian. Second Day We’ll visit the ancient...
Night Life & Entertainment: Desertakakus
This satay restaurant is very famous for serving authentic Malay food known as satays. Satays are meat usually chicken, beef or mutton that is...
Sightseeing: Capitol Satay Celup Restaurant
Picturesque and worthwhile, the National Taiwan Memorial Hall is an imposing building surrounded by gardens and parkways along a 62-acres land. ...
History & Culture: National Taiwan Memorial Hall
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Only a couple of miles from Atlantic City, near Margate, this amazing and quite interesting sight is a picture-perfect destination. Kids love Lucy...
Sightseeing: Lucy the Elephant
A museum dedicated to Native Americans, their culture, life, future and art. It has some interactive exhibitions, where kids can take home useful...
History & Culture: Heard Museum in Phoenix