The Road to Peace and Life - 545km, Seoul, South Korea
Travel tips > Asia > South Korea > Seoul > The Road to Peace and Life - 545km
- General travel tip
- City center
As you know, Korea is separated into two countries.
According to the Koreans Armistice Agreement of 1953, the cease-fire line was established from the mouth of Imjingang River in the west to Goseong, Gangwon-do in the east. The DMZ refers to a demilitarized zone where no military army or weaponry is permitted, 2km away from the truce line on each of the border.
Although the DMZ and this place behind the iron wall is a symbol of the tragic situation of korea, this place is a very good place for animals and plants. Many animals and plants which were in danger of the extermination are living without any threat of development and industrialization near the DMZ. Experts say the DMZ is one of the handful of places which has not been touched by human beings for a long time in the world.
The DMZ, which separates North and South Korea, was a peaceful place and marks the last untouched cold war border in the world today. this forbidden land has finally been opened to the public. The 545km-long the DMZ trek course in nine area is the road to world peace and wonder of nature.
I visited the DMZ is a remnant of the Cold War. So I watch North Korea from the observatory and hope for peaceful unification. But, in the DMZ, a mountainous ecosystem, inland wetlands and freshwater and coastal ecosystems have been well-preserved. Especially I feel good to hiking along the holes. And I saw a beautiful nature in the DMZ. So, I think visiting in the DMZ was an exciting new experience for me. The DMZ was expected for me attractions, preservation of the ecosystem and national unification would be realized here in the PLZ under the theme of 'Peace and Life'.
And I think If Korea becomes a united country in the future, The DMZ wouldn't be remembered as a symbol of the war and tragic separation of Korea. Instead, it will be remembered as a symbol of peace and a beautiful natural place.
Recent travel tips for Seoul
- Korean Folk VillageThis beautiful village is made up of 260 buildings from the Chosun era of the Korean history. The first thing you should know about it is that this is the filming place for the well known Korean dramas, you may be familiar with some of them [...]D: 1.2mi10
- Seoul TowerYou get a beautiful view of the city of Seoul and also its surroundings from the observation deck of the Seoul Tower. We were really lucky that we caught a nice, cloudless day with the sun shining down on the city. It is truly breathtaking. [...]D: 1.4mi00
- TosokchonAttracting both locals and foreign visitors, Tosokchon, this cozy little place, based in hut-like apartments is a popular Korean locale. We went quite early for dinner, because we wanted to avoid the queues and get a place in time. The [...]D: n/a00
- Nanta Theater'Playing with your food' seems to hold up a totally new meaning when you watch the show that is held every night in the Nanta Theater in the Unesco Building. The performers characterize chefs that 'play' with their food and [...]D: n/a00
- Migabon RestaurantA simple, little cozy place, with a traditional aspect, the Migabon restaurant is heaven of good Korean food and fast service. Even if you have to wait a bit in a queue, the time is worth it, because 1. you don't have to wait THAT long [...]D: n/a00
Things about Seoul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Bangladesh expedition-Lonely planet recommended tour company in Bangladesh based at Pan PAcific Sonargaon Hotel, level-112 Ph: 00-88 01715093412 ...
Sightseeing: Bangladesh travel
Maria Laach, Germany
The Abbey is a great and very beautiful example of the Romanesque architecture in Germany. It is really wonderful, the whole place surrounding it...
History & Culture: Maria Laach Abbey
This incredible little town is located on the edge of Basque Country at the entry point to the region of La Rioja. The unique thing about this town...
Sightseeing: Town of Laguardia
Oxford, United Kingdom
Know how to ride a push bike, as thats what everyone does!
The Rotunda is also known by the name of Agios Giorgos. It was first a Roman mausoleum, then a Christian church and later a mosque, quite a history...
History & Culture: The Rotunda
The Gravediggers is one of the greatest pubs in the world. The place got it's name from the gravediggers who often attended the pub after a long...
Night Life & Entertainment: The Gravediggers
Petra is now one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is a fabulous place from the Eastern tales, simply breathtaking. The old city was...
History & Culture: The Ancient City
Huahine, French Polynesia
Tahiti is famous for growing great vanilla. Be sure to take a tour of Huahine and visit the vanilla farms where you can buy fresh vanilla beans to...
History & Culture: Vanilla Farms in Huahine
A favorite haven for nature lovers and adventure seekers. An all-in-one tourist destination, you can savor nature at its best... powdery-white...
Sightseeing: Philippines' all-in-one tourist destination
Raleigh, North Carolina
We went to see the oldest and the most famous house in Raleigh where the United State's 17th President, Andrew Johnson, was born. It is located...
History & Culture: Mordecai Historic Park