The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Car rental in hanoiItinerary Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam since the 11th century dazzles visitors its unique blend of oriental lifestyle, French colonial architecture, tree-lined boulevards and peaceful lakes. Still retaining a charming air from its colonial [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Expected to welcome the six million international...Expected to welcome the six million international visitors in Quang Ninh VNAT said, with current growth, Vietnam's tourism sector is expected to welcome the six million international guests by the end of this December. According to VNAT, [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Why do you need to Vietnam?If you only have time to explore one country in Southeast Asia, choose VIETNAM! Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive [...]D: 4.8mi00
- Hanoi Cooking Classes TourCooking class 1How great would it be to be able to return home from your time in Vietnam, to dazzle your family and friends with mouth-watering delicacies like Banana Flower Salad, Bun Cha and Fresh Spring Rolls. [...]D: n/a00
- Tips to cure seasickness for travelers- Before sailing, do not eat greasy food or acid as orange juice, grapefruit juice ... because these foods are hard to digest. But it should not to let yourself starve. Both A full and an empty stomach will make you uncomfortable. - Drink [...]D: 1.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are holidaying on a budget but don’t want to compromise on quality, our Sydney hotel deal for tonight is perfect for you. Our hotels in...
General: Sydney Hotel Deals for Tonight
San Diego, Costa Rica
Beaches are naturally free and they are very good in San Diego. Some of them are especially beautiful. I would very much recommend La Jolla and...
General: Free and cheap things in San Diego
In Ulm there is a big shop for furniture called 'IKEA'. You can find there basically everything you would need. If you know IKEA, especially if...
General: IKEA - shop for furniture
If you visit Blesle, don't miss the Antiquities Shop on the Rue de la Bonale. They have many nice things, objects for everyday use and decoration....
When you visit Szentendre I recommend you to get there by ship. You can take a ship from Budapest to Szentendre and back only for a few euros -...
General: Visiting Szentendre on the Danube river
It isn't a good place at all. The waiters were impolite, the menu was a single sheet thrown onto the table and without prices. We ordered meal...
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
Not far from Keelung, on a small peninsula, you can find interesting and bizarre stone formations that have been shaped by water and wind for...
Sightseeing: Yeh Liu
Buena Park, California
Knott's Berry Farm is a great distraction for a family or a group of friends. There are so many things to do there! They have a fiesta village...
Family & Fun: Knott's Berry Farm
Buffalo, New York
One of the masterpieces of Frank Lloyd Wright, the Darwin D. Martin House Complex is an amazing collection of buildings and outdoor areas built in...
Sightseeing: Darwin D. Martin House Complex