The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Halong Bay Cruises, travel tipsHa Long Bay is in northern Vietnam, 170 km (105 mi) east of Hanoi. The bay is famous for its scenic ocean karst topography and is often included in lists of natural wonders of the world. This amazing seascape of virtually uninhabited [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Classic Vietnam Sightseeing Tour 10 Days 9 NightsDay 1: Arrival Hanoi Vietnam Today you’ll land in Hanoi. Warmly welcome by Tour Guide & Car Driver at airport then transfer to Hanoi Downtown, a city of lakes, shaded boulevards, public parks, and the capital of Vietnam. Check into your [...]D: 0.1mi00
- A Taste of Vietnam with greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary This trip is designed for the traveler with limited time and an unlimited appetite for a culinary adventure. It features a 12-day itinerary of Vietnam 's most popular spots, with many special opportunities to discover [...]D: n/a00
- Motobike Hue City Tour, Hue Moto Tour, Hue to Hoian Moto...WELCOME TO HUE MOTOBIKE RIDER TEAM VIETNAM TRIP FINDER Come and enjoy fully local professional Hue Motocycle Rider Service, with an vocational rider team, good local guide communicate by English, We serve Hue Moto Tour, [...]D: 6.2mi00
- Best way to from Noi bai airport to Hanoi centerVietnam Sunshine Travel is specializing in package and customized tours, cruise tours, hotel booking... for travelers to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are licensed as an International Tour Operator Company (License No: 01-005/TCDL-GP [...]D: 0.3mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
If you are going to Costa Rica to surf like 95% of the tourist do, then you cant miss Playa Hermosa. This beach has the best breaks in Costa Rica...
Beaches : Playa Hermosa
If you want to spend the night at a cool location in Augsburg, where good music is played, you have to visit the 'Mahagoni Bar'. There is even a...
Night Life & Entertainment: Mahagoni Bar
In stuttgart, there is ab very big and interessting museum. The 'Mercedes-Benz Museum'. There you can see very old or new mercedes. You can also...
In Überlingen there is a great swimminghall with a big water-slip.
General: The great swimminghall
When any of us think about the Galapagos we usually think of huge tortoises and Charles Darwin the man who created the idea of evolution. The...
Sightseeing: Charles Darwin Station
The museum is dedicated to the history and art of wine. It is located in the Chartrons quarter, which was the traditional center of wine merchants....
History & Culture: Wine and Wine Trade Museum
Annapurna Base Camp Trekking Overview MAX ALTITUDE: N/A DURATION: 15 days GRADE: N/A Introduction Annapurna base camp trekking, also called the...
Sightseeing: Annapurna Base Camp Trek (Sanctuary) | Trekking in Nepal, Nepal Trekking, Travel Agency in Nepal, Ne
The inner city of Sighisoara (Schassburg in German and Segesvar in Hungarian)is wonderful. The city has all the traits of the Saxon architecture as...
History & Culture: The Inner City
Serving customer for more than half a decade, Marri's Pizza has some unique and delicious dishes on its menu, all made of fresh ingredients...
Food: Marri's Pizza
The restaurant is located at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and after my opinion it is one of the best restaurants in Phoenix. Featuring...
Food: Kai Restaurant in Phoenix