The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Holidaying in Vietnam through AsiaHotelBizWe at Asia hotel Biz offer you a wide selection of attractive tour packages, resorts and boutique hotels at Vietnam. With a huge range of discounted hotels and motels, accommodation and resorts, you can choose the best one for you according [...]D: 0.8mi01
- Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi...Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi – Halong Bay (06 Days 05 Nights) Day01: Saigon Arrival Dinner Arrival in Saigon, meet Welcome Vietnam Tour local guide at Tan [...]D: 696.8mi00
- Vietnam Travel GuideVietnam travel guide http://www.nhomphuot.com/tag/phuot [...]D: 507.9mi00
- Coc Ly market used to be famous among visitors for over...Coc Ly market used to be famous among visitors for over 10 years for its festive atmosphere, colorful traditional costumes of different tribal peoples, variety of local products as well as perfect surrounding nature. Two years ago, [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The Middle Bridge connects lessor Basel with main Basel. In the medieval days this bridge was half wood and half stone. The reason they did this...
Sightseeing: Middle Bridge
If you are at Potsdam, you really should visit Sanssouci, the big palace and garden area, built by Friedrich the great, the prussian king...
General: The Sanssouci palace
Check your holiday acommodation 100%, if you rent a holiday house.
General: Holiday house
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
When I arrived in Milano I visited Castello Sforzesco but I didn't had enought time to visit 'Il Domo di Milano' and that's a thing that I regret,...
History & Culture: Castello Sforzesco, Milan
Monforte D'alba, Italy
Some parts of the estate are as old as 1600, it is really a nice place, you can see how an Italian estate looked like hundred years ago. The...
Food: Azienda agricola Fantino Alessandro e Gian Natale
The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk are world heritage sites since 1997.This wonderful group of buildings is a reminder of the more than 10,000...
General: The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk
If you are in Brasov between 2nd and 7th September 2009, you really have to check out the “GOLDEN STAG” International Music Festival, the...
Night Life & Entertainment: "Golden Stag" International Music Festival in Brasov
Cary, North Carolina
There is a great Paris metro app called Zuti for $5 that helps you navigate the system without looking very touristy carrying around a map.
Public Transportation: Paris Metro
The most amazing show and entertainment hall I've ever seen and experienced. No wonder they made history by making country music famous! The...
Night Life & Entertainment: Grand Ole Opry