The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Ultimate Myanmar luxury travel tipsMyanmar, or formerly Burma is one of the newly striking destinations in Indochina and South-East of Asia which one must definitely choose to travel in order to get a truly benefit of a unique country that has been far from the tourism [...]D: n/a00
- Laos off the beaten path trailsIf South East of Asia and specifically Indochina is your vacation target, be sure to know what you truly interested to do because this will make your trip more interesting and meaningful. A Laos tours is one of the traveler’s favorite [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam holidayVietnam holiday, Online book holidays in Vietnam: http://www.vietnamholiday.us [...]D: 1.7mi00
- Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)The Early Lê dynasty (Vietnamese: Nhà Tiền Lê) was a dynasty that ruled Vietnam after the Đinh Dynasty and before the Lý Dynasty. They ruled for a total of three generations and was known for repelling the Song invasion. *Lê Đại [...]D: 7.4mi00
- Vietnam luxury beach vacation 8 daysDay 1: Ho Chi Minh city arrival - Cu Chi tunnels Warmly welcome on arrival HCMC. Transfer to hotel. In the afternoon take private tour to visit the city or Cu Chi tunnels.Overnight in HCMC. Day 2: HCMC - Nha Trang (B) In the morning [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Located on the northern part of Lhasa is the residence of the Dalai Lama, the leader of the Buddhist religion. The Palace is also a World Heritage...
History & Culture: Potala Palace
If you are in the south of germany, close to the village of Herbertingen, you should visit the open air museum called Heuneburg. It´s the place of...
Outdoors Activities: Open air museum
If you want to make an funny shortsightseeing through the town, take the monorail of Wuppertal. The first Monorail of germany. There can also...
General: The monorail of Wuppertal
The Klein Helgoland on the small island of Foehr is named after maybe one of Germany's smallest islands (Helgoland). The place is really cozy...
Food: Cakes at Cafe Klein Helgoland
Tivoli Garden is the oldest of the amusement parks in the world, they say that Walt Disney got his idea of Disneyland from here. It is situated in...
General: Tivoli Gardens
How about going around Laguna de Bay. Grab a map of Rizal and Laguna from any National book store, and your on your way to fun fun and more fun! ...
General: Roundtrip tip with pie advise
DAYDREAM LAGUNA RESORT Luxury Riverside Accommodation and Teppanyaki Restaurant • Indulge your senses and escape from the everyday stresses...
General: Daydream Laguna Resort
If you arrive in Zalau you should visit Sfanta Vineri Cathedral wich is the 3rd largest cathedral in the Estern Europe.
General: Sfanta Vineri Cathedral
When you head into Izmir, you might wander why because it's not really a sight seeing place. But don't worry, if you head to the water and walk...
Sightseeing: The Big Statue of Attaturk
Kids of every age can enjoy this museum where you can learn so much. Almost every exhibit in the Explorium museum provides a hands-on experience,...
Family & Fun: Explorium