The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Travel to Laos from Hanoi, VietnamLaos is blessed with amazing natural beauties with abundant peak of soaring mountains everywhere in the country, picturesque rice paddies, saffron robed monks, golden pagodas and glazed temples and many more. Laos, is one of the outstanding [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Car rental in hanoiItinerary Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam since the 11th century dazzles visitors its unique blend of oriental lifestyle, French colonial architecture, tree-lined boulevards and peaceful lakes. Still retaining a charming air from its colonial [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Marguerite Junk Halong BayMarguerite Junks Halong bay belong to Tonkin Cruise Company! They have 4 Marguerite Junks : Marguerite Junk 01 built in 2009 , Marguerite Junk 02 built in 2011 and Marguerite Garden built in 2012. Marguerite Junks are Superior Cruises in [...]D: n/a00
- Tob things to do in Hanoi Old QuarterOld quarter of Hanoi This is what you must visit, a series of connected and very small streets packed with scooters, Buddhist temples and pagodas and it is a short walk away from beautiful Hoan Kiem lake, the soul of the city, the top [...]D: n/a00
- Beach Holiday to Vietnam in 8 Days with...Beach Holiday to Vietnam in 8 Days with luxuryTravelVietnam.com ====== Day 1: Ho Chi Minh city arrival - Cu Chi tunnels Warmly welcome on arrival HCMC. Transfer to hotel. In the afternoon take private tour to visit the city or Cu Chi [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
One of the best places to spend an afternoon in Toronto is St. Lawrence Market. It is a real market of course mainly with farmers selling their...
Shopping: St. Lawrence Market
Shanghai's nightlife can be anything you want: classy, laid-back, fun or quirky, depending on where you go. In the case of Bar Rouge, what you...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar Rouge
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Pedro Sánchez (On the way to Miches): If you are headed to Miches in the Dominican Republic, take time to stop off in Pedro Sanchez, a rural...
Outdoors Activities: Pedro Sanchez
Keswick, United Kingdom
Spa breaks in the Lake District make you feel better than any destination. I think it is the lakes and the hills and the endless fresh air. Luckily...
Sports & Wellness : Lake District Spa Breaks
Whitsunday Islands situated Queensland Capital at Australia. Whitsunday Island can divide into four groups like Northern, Lindeman, The...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
4 Days 3 Night Itinerary for Ooty: Day 1: Arrive into Coonoor and check into a homestay/ resort/bungalow at Coonoor. After lunch, get a taxi...
Sightseeing: 4 days 3 Nights Itinerary for Ooty
The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk are world heritage sites since 1997.This wonderful group of buildings is a reminder of the more than 10,000...
General: The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk
Hua Hin, Thailand
When staying at Hua Hin, you would be at times overwhelmed by its sheer beauty and all that it has to offer as a holiday getaway. It would serve...
General: When staying at Hua Hin
Go place, see and absorb the culture as if it was your own
Are you interested on horse riding? Check 'Reiterhof Weissenhof'. It's ideal for kids, they offer lessons for kids and adults. It's ideal during a...
General: Horse Riding in Radstadt