The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Mekong Biking 3 Days Saigon - Ben Tre - Vinh Long - Can ThoDay1: Saigon to Vinh Long. (Lunch, dinner) We travel two hours from Saigon to My Tho where we board our boat. Late morning finds us drifting down bustling arteries of the Mekong from where we veer off to travel down the tranquil canals. Our [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- Finding reasonable Cambodia tour packagesIf you are trying to take a Cambodia tour packages and would like to explore the marvels of ancient Indochina on a well planned holiday package, then, what better than to opt for a reasonable offers that are designed for like-minded holiday [...]D: n/a00
- Comibie a Cambodia tour packages with LaosIf you have decided to choose a Cambodia tour packages during the Christmas and New Year holiday then you must book well in a head of time to get the best possible quote for any kind of traveling style that you are opting for, nowadays [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Vietnam Family Vacations 8 days | Luxury Travel VietnamDay 1: Arrive Ho Chi Minh City On arrival at Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International airport, you will be greeted by our guide and transferred to your hotel in town. Overnight in HCMC. Day 2: Cao Dai Temples & Cu Chi Tunnels (B) This [...]D: 1.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The best way to visit Bruges is ... on foot. Of course, I recommend also to take a boat through the superb canals, but rather than that only on...
General: The best way to visit Brugges
If you are at Sion, you should try to visit the ancient roman building remnants, that are mainly covered by private buildings. You should also go...
Sightseeing: Roman building remnants
Book your tour with Twins Tours to the HolyLand!
General: Visiting the Holy Land
Nightlife in Bangalore is amazing....it has umpteen number of pubs, lounges, restaurants, motels and hotels....this is the place to be ...:)
Night Life & Entertainment: The Vidhan Soudha
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
Shimla, the picturesque city in Himanchal Pradesh is widely adored for snow covered mountains, mesmerising greenery, splendid lakes, and pleasant...
Sightseeing: Top Tourist Places to Visit in Shimla
My hometown is now the fifth largest city in all Japan, but in 1857 its inhabitants numbered only 7 people. After it was chosen as an...
General: Sapporo, my favorite city
If you are around, take yourself at least time for one day, to watch the ancient city weith it´s temple ruins and houses. But you should be there...
History & Culture: Mayan temples
This museum is amazing, not just because the entrance is free for everyone, but because there are so many interesting exhibits you can check out...
History & Culture: Baltimore Museum of Art
Saint Louis, Missouri
One of the oldest and maybe most known botanical gardens that have been in operation since their opening, is the Missouri Botanical Gardens just in...
Sightseeing: Missouri Botanical Garden