The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi...Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi – Halong Bay (06 Days 05 Nights) Day01: Saigon Arrival Dinner Arrival in Saigon, meet Welcome Vietnam Tour local guide at Tan [...]D: 696.8mi00
- Expected to welcome the six million international...Expected to welcome the six million international visitors in Quang Ninh VNAT said, with current growth, Vietnam's tourism sector is expected to welcome the six million international guests by the end of this December. According to VNAT, [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Mekong Biking 3 Days Saigon - Ben Tre - Vinh Long - Can ThoDay1: Saigon to Vinh Long. (Lunch, dinner) We travel two hours from Saigon to My Tho where we board our boat. Late morning finds us drifting down bustling arteries of the Mekong from where we veer off to travel down the tranquil canals. Our [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- Tour of Vietnam Highlighting the Culture, Cuisine &...Outlined Itinerary An unique 16-Day Tour of Vietnam highlighting the Culture, Cuisine & Scenery of this fascinating country including a journey on the Luxurious Victoria Express from the Bustling City of Hanoi to the mountainous [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
This is Heaven from time immemorial. Welcome to Hangzhou China.
History & Culture: Living in Hangzhou China
If you want to take a look at Ravensburg not only from the streets, climb up the Blaserturm and look all over the central place Marienplatz and the...
Family & Fun: The Blaserturm
For all you beach lovers out there, this is a must when in Croatia. Considered to be the best beach in Croatia because of shape, it is a peninsula...
Beaches : Zlatni Rat
You should definitely try out the 'Cave Bath' from Miskolc! It's an extraordinary experience...
Family & Fun: Cave bathing
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap is one of the most enchanting city in Indochina where you can enjoy peaceful nature, stunning temples of Angkor, colourful life on Tonle...
General: Top things to enjoy in Siem Reap
Cascais is like a royal resort, full of different sights, and most notably, various, beautiful beaches. Though the ocean was a bit cold, we still...
Outdoors Activities: Trip to Cascais
A real piece of history from the 20th century which has been restored and is as new as ever. Also known as the 'Floating White House', the...
Sightseeing: USS Potomac
This place has everything to have the greatest relaxation time ever. It has pool, spa, golf and tennis club. We spent the last day of our holiday...
General: JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix
San Diego, California
Legoland is an amusement park and is fun if you go with kids... or if you feel like you are a kid in the inside. Almost everything is made of big...
Family & Fun: Legoland in San Diego
If you like wandering throught the nature combined with climbing, you should definitely go to Zermatt. There is also an special railway,...
Outdoors Activities: Mountains and nature