The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Ultimate Myanmar luxury travel tipsMyanmar, or formerly Burma is one of the newly striking destinations in Indochina and South-East of Asia which one must definitely choose to travel in order to get a truly benefit of a unique country that has been far from the tourism [...]D: n/a00
- Festivals in Vietnam in FebruaryLunar New Year, TET Holiday There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated [...]D: n/a00
- How to book ast minute all inclusive Vietnam packages toursIf you are looking into some great information on a last minute Vietnam packages tours you may think of a holiday that is more flexible so you just book it a way as this kind of last minute holiday packages are on offer for limited time, of [...]D: n/a00
- Tob things to do in Hanoi Old QuarterOld quarter of Hanoi This is what you must visit, a series of connected and very small streets packed with scooters, Buddhist temples and pagodas and it is a short walk away from beautiful Hoan Kiem lake, the soul of the city, the top [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Prague, Czech Republic
Maybe the most interesting example of modern architecture in Prague is the Dancing House (also called Fred and Ginger). It was constructed in 1996...
Sightseeing: Dancing House in Prague
If you visited the museum at Uhldingen, it´s just one step, to go swimming in the Lake of Constance. For example at the lake baths of Kressbron or...
Outdoors Activities: Swimming at the Lake of Constance
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Pedro Sánchez (On the way to Miches): If you are headed to Miches in the Dominican Republic, take time to stop off in Pedro Sanchez, a rural...
Outdoors Activities: Pedro Sanchez
Sleep inside the caves if you get a chance, it's awesome to go asleep with the water right below you :) Don't get caught though
General: Sleep inside the caves
If you want to visit the wonderful and peaceful island of Schinoussa(Greece)the Blue Star Ferries have two direct lines, one on Sunday and the...
Public Transportation: Travel to Schinoussa
Don't forget to take a boat trip on the lakes of Killarney, it is a wonderful experience, something you will never forget. The landscape is...
Outdoors Activities: The Lakes of Killarney
Tripoli - Sabrata - Nalut - Ghadames - Ghat - Acacus - Murzuk Sand Sea -Wadi Mathendoush - Germa - Ubari Sand Sea – Desert Lakes - Sabha -...
General: Detailed tour tip
I am a loving lady who is seeking for my true love, I want to end my loneliness
General: Am a good girl
The most interactive and hands-on place where kids can learn so many things is the Children's Museum of Stockton. They have a wide variety of...
History & Culture: Children's Museum of Stockton
Hong Kong, China
When you think of a park, you imagine a green environment, with a lot of trees, paved walks winding through them, and benches alongside the roads....
General: The Hong Kong Park