The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Booking luxury holiday to Vietnam for Lunar New Year 2016Luxury Holiday makers heading to Vietnam towards the start of February may find their stay at the luxury resorts coincides with the Traditional Lunar New Year called TET holiday in Vietnamese lunar calendar. The New Year event, which is [...]D: n/a00
- Tour of Vietnam Highlighting the Culture, Cuisine &...Outlined Itinerary An unique 16-Day Tour of Vietnam highlighting the Culture, Cuisine & Scenery of this fascinating country including a journey on the Luxurious Victoria Express from the Bustling City of Hanoi to the mountainous [...]D: n/a00
- Reasons to book a Vietnam vacation packagesWhen it comes to planning a Vietnam vacation packages, it is obvious to choose the places, cities and attractions that you would want to visit most. To do this, you need to consider your first step of booking your holiday, it’s now very [...]D: n/a00
- Top 3 luxury destination with luxury holiday makersHanoi: A capital city of Vietnam with population of about seven millions with a glorious history dating back to over thousands years ago attracts visitors from everywhere; there are a lot of things to see while in Hanoi and no vacation is [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Travel HolidayVietnam Travel Holiday, Holiday Tour Travel, Vietnam Travel Holidays-Vietnam Lao Cambodia Travel, Vietnam Laos Cambodia Tour Vietnamtravelways.com operated by OPENTOUR VIETNAM GROUP [...]D: 2.5mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are holidaying on a budget but don’t want to compromise on quality, our Sydney hotel deal for tonight is perfect for you. Our hotels in...
General: Sydney Hotel Deals for Tonight
Beijing Shi, China
[url=http://www.beijinglandscapes.com/huangshan-tour.html]Huangshan Tour [/url] [url=http://www.badaling-great-wall.com]Badaling Great Wall[/url]
General: Huangshan Tour
Shaolin means 'young forest' and the temple city was found in around 500 AD. These are the most well known Buddhist churches in the world, mainly...
History & Culture: Shaolin Temples in Henan
Do you want to eat cheap in Bielefeld? Then visit the university's restaurant. A menu costs from 3-4,50 Euro. You should use the student's mansa,...
Food: Eating Cheap in Bielefeld
Who doesnt know these little plastic stones and who didnt play with Lego? I think nobody. If you are on your vacation with your family in Denmark...
Family & Fun: Legoland
Aire de Sevilla is the best bath I have ever been to. They don't only have baths but also massage, aromatherapy and all kinds of treatments. My...
Night Life & Entertainment: Aire de Sevilla
I recommend this restaurant for very tasty fish menus. The prices are very good and the food is even better. I was amazed by the long menu with all...
Food: Fish restaurant in Miskolctapolca
The Kilkenny Castle was built in the 12th century. It is definitely a must see, if you are in the area. It was renovated in the 19th century and...
History & Culture: Kilkenny Castle
If you are seeking Luxury Transportation on your Puerto Rico Holiday, Contact at viplimopr.com to get Luxury Cars and Low-Cost Transportation in...
General: VIP Limo Puerto Rico
This website has events in the area and things to do that are not amusement park or theme park related. Great if you're not the roller coaster type!
Family & Fun: Travel Resource