The Partition of Vietnam, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Partition of Vietnam
- General travel tip
- City center
The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War.
The Geneva Conference was held at the conclusion of the First Indochina War. As part of the post-war settlement announced on July 21, 1954, Vietnam was temporarily partitioned into northern and southern zones pending unification on the basis of internationally supervised free elections to be held in 1956. The elections were never held. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam in the north, controlled by Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh since the August Revolution in 1945, became formally recognized in the international communities as a separate state. The capital was Hanoi. The south under Emperor Bảo Đại became the State of Vietnam, commonly known as South Vietnam, with its capital at Saigon. The International Control Commission was formed to supervise the ceasefire and implementation of the Geneva Accords which included universal elections over the whole of Viet Nam.
With the failure to implement universal elections to end temporary partitioning of the country conflict between the new 'States' of north and the south commenced and soon developed into the Vietnam War. (See Background to the Vietnam War.)
Vietnam was re-united in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War. The Fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong forces on April 30 is commemorated as Reunification Day or 'Liberation Day' (Ngày Giải Phóng), now a public holiday in Vietnam.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi...Ho Chi Minh – Cu Chi Tunnels – Mekong Delta - Hanoi – Halong Bay (06 Days 05 Nights) Day01: Saigon Arrival Dinner Arrival in Saigon, meet Welcome Vietnam Tour local guide at Tan [...]D: 696.8mi00
- Vietnam tour packagesHanoi Sky Travel has now become one of the best tour operator in Vietnam and has successfully helped thousands of travelers realize their dream of traveling to Vietnam.HST provides customers with abundantly and detailed destination [...]D: 0.5mi00
- Southern Vietnam Beaches RelaxDay 1: Arrival Sai Gon Upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City. Your driver will meet you at the airport and escort you to Hotel. Your hotel is right on heart and is located close to the main sights of this fascinating city. The rest of the day is [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Cooking Tour By Greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary Day 1 : Arrival Ha Noi (D) Arrive at Noi Bai Airport and coach transfer to hotel. Take a cyclo, the Vietnamese version of the rickshaw to Indochine Restaurant for an introduction to Vietnamese food. Set in a beautifully [...]D: n/a10
- Tour of Vietnam Highlighting the Culture, Cuisine &...Outlined Itinerary An unique 16-Day Tour of Vietnam highlighting the Culture, Cuisine & Scenery of this fascinating country including a journey on the Luxurious Victoria Express from the Bustling City of Hanoi to the mountainous [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The town of Zamora was founded by the Romans and is located one hour north of Salamanca and one hour west of Portugal. The city is famous for the...
Sightseeing: The town of Zamora
The Rotunda is also known by the name of Agios Giorgos. It was first a Roman mausoleum, then a Christian church and later a mosque, quite a history...
History & Culture: The Rotunda
If you are at Galway, should should take a boat to the Aron Islands. There are 3 islands and at least the main islands offers you a great landscape...
Outdoors Activities: Aron Islands
Badiatravel Inbound Agency based in Tripoli
Place Jemaa El Fna is the main square in the city of Marrakech. Its a great place to watch some Moroccans charm snakes or sit down and get a sleeve...
Sightseeing: Place Jemaa El Fna
Don't give money to beggars on the streets, give food or help out in their community.
Sightseeing: Philippine eco-cultural adventure specialist
If you'd like to go to ski but you don't have equipment for it, don't worry! On the way to the ski trails many little 'shops' are opened from where...
Outdoors Activities: Renting skis in Arieseni
We've visited the Alaska Native Heritage Museum a few years back during the summer. It was a memorable experience. We learned so much that day....
History & Culture: Alaska Native Heritage Museum
Fort Worth, Texas
A very informative and really interesting tour about money, money-printing and currency in the US. The Bureau of Engraving has another location...
History & Culture: Bureau of Engraving
New Orleans, Louisiana
The French Quarter in New Orleans is the heart of the city, and you can't get any closer to the heart of the Vieux Carré (as the Quarter is also...
Sightseeing: Jackson Square in New Orleans