Early Lê dynasty (980-1009), Hanoi, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
*Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế (980–1005)
1. Lê Hoàn (940–1005): When the Song Dynasty (Nhà Tống in Vietnamese) menaced Đại Cồ Việt, with the heir to the throne an infant, the Dowager Empress Dương Vân Nga threw rule of the country to Lê Hoàn (940–1005). Lê Hoàn then proclaimed himself emperor Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế in 980. He then went with his general, Phạm Cự Lượng, to meet and battle the coming Song army. One of his victories was at the mouth of the Bạch Đằng River. After the victory, Lê Đại Hành sent out emissaries to negotiate for peace. Thus the annual show of homage, and offerings to the Celestial Emperor of China is resumed. With Lê Đại Hành, the southward expedition to Champa began in 990 and again in 994. Che Dong and Che Cai, the 2 successive Cham kings, negotiated with Lê Đại Hành for peace and agreed to be a Vietnamese vassal state.
2. Lê Đại Hành succession: Emperor Lê Đại Hành committed the same error as his predecessor Đinh Tiên Hoàng in that he repudiated his oldest son Lê Ngân Tích as heir to the throne. In his will, he gave preference to a younger son, Lê Long Việt. Lê Đại Hành died in 1005, at the age of 65 and after 25 years of rule.
*Lê Long Việt, Lê Trung Tông (1005)
Lê Long Việt's reign was very brief; he was assassinated by a coalition of his brothers Lê Ngân Tích, Lê Long Kính, and Lê Long Đĩnh who refused to recognize him out of jealousy. Lê Long Việt's emperor-name was Lê Trung or (Trang) Tông. After the assassination, all three brothers vied against one another for one throne. Lê Ngân Tích was captured and beheaded while attempting to flee the country. Lê Long Kính 'disappeared' and was never heard from again. The last remaining brother, Lê Long Đĩnh, took control of the realm and proclaimed himself emperor.
*Lê Ngọa Triều (1005–1009)
Lê Long Đĩnh's reign and court was famous for its 'lying sessions' when presiding, giving reception, etc., earning him the name Lê Ngọa Triều - the one who rules while lying. Lê Long Đĩnh's rule was characterized by debaucheries, wild orgies and decadence. Historians compare him to the Roman Emperor Nero as he was well known for his cruelties, not the least of which were sadism and torture (of relatives, prisoners, thieves, beggars, traitors, etc.) in which he loved to participate. The only person under his rule who did not fear or run away from him was Lý Công Uẩn (973–1028), a high-ranking mandarin counselor in the court.
*The rise of the Later Lý Dynasty (1009)
Never before in Vietnam's history had an emperor's rule been so hated as Lê Long Đĩnh's. The people and peasants at that time were sick and tired of the cruelty which marked his rule. A few counselors and monks were plotting to install a new ruler. When Lê Long Đĩnh died he left an infant son who was to succeed him, but the court, now heavily under the influence of monks and Buddhism, agreed to enthrone Lý Công Uẩn as the new emperor. As the first emperor of the Lý Dynasty, Lý Công Uẩn would take the emperor-name Lý Thái Tổ, inaugurating a new era in Vietnam's history.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Vietnam Travel GuideVietnam travel guide http://www.nhomphuot.com/tag/phuot [...]D: 507.9mi00
- Vietnam Cooking Tour By Greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary Day 1 : Arrival Ha Noi (D) Arrive at Noi Bai Airport and coach transfer to hotel. Take a cyclo, the Vietnamese version of the rickshaw to Indochine Restaurant for an introduction to Vietnamese food. Set in a beautifully [...]D: n/a10
- Halong Bay ToursHalong Bay Vietnam is recognized as the famous World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1994 and the New 7 Wonders of Nature voted by the tourists over the world in 2012. Founded in 2006, Amazing Halong Bay becomes one of the best halong bay [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Tour packageVietnam Sunshine Travel is specializing in package and customized tours, cruise tours, hotel booking... for travelers to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are licensed as an International Tour Operator Company (License No: 01-005/TCDL-GP [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Expected to welcome the six million international...Expected to welcome the six million international visitors in Quang Ninh VNAT said, with current growth, Vietnam's tourism sector is expected to welcome the six million international guests by the end of this December. According to VNAT, [...]D: 2.3mi10
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Check your holiday acommodation 100%, if you rent a holiday house.
General: Holiday house
While visiting Calais you must see the amazing white cliffs of Dover, visible even from Calais when the wheather is clear. The cliffs started to...
General: The white cliffs of Dover
London, United Kingdom
The first thing to do when you come to London is: Find a booth selling Magazines and get yourself a copy of : Time Out, a magazine which tells you...
General: Find a Time Out magazine
There is a new hotel in Tiruchirappali called " Grand Gardenia " Ph: 91 9585644000 email; firstname.lastname@example.org I've had good...
General: New hotel in Tiruchirappalli
For anyone on this site that is interested in coming to Jamaica for vacation I would first suggest that you not spend the ridiculous amount for...
General: Paradise Jamaica
Though not a typical tourist attraction, visiting the fish market is something that gives you an insight into the trade of Japan and thus into its...
Shopping: Tsukiji Fish Market
Abends ist am Strand immer viel los. Es gibt viele Rastaurants und viele kleine Spielkasinos für Kinder.
General: Strand und Rastaurants
The heart of Aurora is packed with restaurants, bars, shops and malls. You can get some souvenirs for your loved ones who stayed home, or just some...
Shopping: Aurora City Place
Saint Paul, Minnesota
There are quite many wonderful buildings in Saint Paul, especially on Summit Avenue, but as usually, the state capitol building tops them all....
Sightseeing: Minnesota State Capitol
If you like skiing, you should definitely go there. The glaciers at Hintertux offers you a wide variety of ski runs, for every state of skill. ...
Outdoors Activities: Skiing