Early Lê dynasty (980-1009), Hanoi, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
*Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế (980–1005)
1. Lê Hoàn (940–1005): When the Song Dynasty (Nhà Tống in Vietnamese) menaced Đại Cồ Việt, with the heir to the throne an infant, the Dowager Empress Dương Vân Nga threw rule of the country to Lê Hoàn (940–1005). Lê Hoàn then proclaimed himself emperor Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế in 980. He then went with his general, Phạm Cự Lượng, to meet and battle the coming Song army. One of his victories was at the mouth of the Bạch Đằng River. After the victory, Lê Đại Hành sent out emissaries to negotiate for peace. Thus the annual show of homage, and offerings to the Celestial Emperor of China is resumed. With Lê Đại Hành, the southward expedition to Champa began in 990 and again in 994. Che Dong and Che Cai, the 2 successive Cham kings, negotiated with Lê Đại Hành for peace and agreed to be a Vietnamese vassal state.
2. Lê Đại Hành succession: Emperor Lê Đại Hành committed the same error as his predecessor Đinh Tiên Hoàng in that he repudiated his oldest son Lê Ngân Tích as heir to the throne. In his will, he gave preference to a younger son, Lê Long Việt. Lê Đại Hành died in 1005, at the age of 65 and after 25 years of rule.
*Lê Long Việt, Lê Trung Tông (1005)
Lê Long Việt's reign was very brief; he was assassinated by a coalition of his brothers Lê Ngân Tích, Lê Long Kính, and Lê Long Đĩnh who refused to recognize him out of jealousy. Lê Long Việt's emperor-name was Lê Trung or (Trang) Tông. After the assassination, all three brothers vied against one another for one throne. Lê Ngân Tích was captured and beheaded while attempting to flee the country. Lê Long Kính 'disappeared' and was never heard from again. The last remaining brother, Lê Long Đĩnh, took control of the realm and proclaimed himself emperor.
*Lê Ngọa Triều (1005–1009)
Lê Long Đĩnh's reign and court was famous for its 'lying sessions' when presiding, giving reception, etc., earning him the name Lê Ngọa Triều - the one who rules while lying. Lê Long Đĩnh's rule was characterized by debaucheries, wild orgies and decadence. Historians compare him to the Roman Emperor Nero as he was well known for his cruelties, not the least of which were sadism and torture (of relatives, prisoners, thieves, beggars, traitors, etc.) in which he loved to participate. The only person under his rule who did not fear or run away from him was Lý Công Uẩn (973–1028), a high-ranking mandarin counselor in the court.
*The rise of the Later Lý Dynasty (1009)
Never before in Vietnam's history had an emperor's rule been so hated as Lê Long Đĩnh's. The people and peasants at that time were sick and tired of the cruelty which marked his rule. A few counselors and monks were plotting to install a new ruler. When Lê Long Đĩnh died he left an infant son who was to succeed him, but the court, now heavily under the influence of monks and Buddhism, agreed to enthrone Lý Công Uẩn as the new emperor. As the first emperor of the Lý Dynasty, Lý Công Uẩn would take the emperor-name Lý Thái Tổ, inaugurating a new era in Vietnam's history.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Cycling Northeast Vietnam 7 daysCycling north east Vietnam is arranged in the north eastern Vietnam taking to such travel destinations as Ba Be National park, Bac Kan province, Na Hang, Tuyen Quang province, Bac Me, Cao Bang, Quan Ba, Yen Minh, Meo Vac, Dong Van, Ha Giang [...]D: 3.8mi00
- How to book ast minute all inclusive Vietnam packages toursIf you are looking into some great information on a last minute Vietnam packages tours you may think of a holiday that is more flexible so you just book it a way as this kind of last minute holiday packages are on offer for limited time, of [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- Mekong Biking 3 Days Saigon - Ben Tre - Vinh Long - Can ThoDay1: Saigon to Vinh Long. (Lunch, dinner) We travel two hours from Saigon to My Tho where we board our boat. Late morning finds us drifting down bustling arteries of the Mekong from where we veer off to travel down the tranquil canals. Our [...]D: n/a00
- Come back from VietnamI have just come back home from Vietnam which is a small lovely country. I had travelled there for three weeks. I went to famous place in Vietnam as Halong, Nhatrang and ending of Hanoi. The seasides in Vietnam are so impressed. Halong is [...]D: 2.1mi01
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The Middle Bridge connects lessor Basel with main Basel. In the medieval days this bridge was half wood and half stone. The reason they did this...
Sightseeing: Middle Bridge
Maria Laach, Germany
The Abbey is a great and very beautiful example of the Romanesque architecture in Germany. It is really wonderful, the whole place surrounding it...
History & Culture: Maria Laach Abbey
Boulogne-sur-mer is connected with major european cities by train. From Lille it takes approximately 2 hours by train (Ter - Transport express...
General: From Lille to Boulogne-sur-mer
While visiting Calais you must see the amazing white cliffs of Dover, visible even from Calais when the wheather is clear. The cliffs started to...
General: The white cliffs of Dover
Built from the 12th to the 14th century. It's a mixture of roman and gothic style.
Sightseeing: Cathedrale Saint-Jean
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nom banh chok Also called 'Khmer noodles,' the nom banh chok is a popular breakfast. It consists of rice noodles topped with tender green beans,...
General: Guide to Cambodian bizarre foods
El Djem, Tunisia
You should really take a look at the ancient roman amphitheater in the town center. Prices are moderate.
General: Ancient roman amphiteater
There are no words to describe the feeling you get while you try out the rides at Zero Gravity Thrill Park. Fast and crazy, the rides are...
Family & Fun: Zero Gravity Thrill Park
Los Angeles, California
This a nice little buffet with awesome Japanese food all you can eat. It's also not expensive and fun. They are always open and when I go there, I...
Food: The Lighthouse
This garden is a must see for anyone who's visiting Portland, especially of you have a fondness for roses. It is the oldest official,...
Outdoors Activities: International Rose Test Garden