Early Lê dynasty (980-1009), Hanoi, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
*Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế (980–1005)
1. Lê Hoàn (940–1005): When the Song Dynasty (Nhà Tống in Vietnamese) menaced Đại Cồ Việt, with the heir to the throne an infant, the Dowager Empress Dương Vân Nga threw rule of the country to Lê Hoàn (940–1005). Lê Hoàn then proclaimed himself emperor Lê Đại Hành Hoàng Đế in 980. He then went with his general, Phạm Cự Lượng, to meet and battle the coming Song army. One of his victories was at the mouth of the Bạch Đằng River. After the victory, Lê Đại Hành sent out emissaries to negotiate for peace. Thus the annual show of homage, and offerings to the Celestial Emperor of China is resumed. With Lê Đại Hành, the southward expedition to Champa began in 990 and again in 994. Che Dong and Che Cai, the 2 successive Cham kings, negotiated with Lê Đại Hành for peace and agreed to be a Vietnamese vassal state.
2. Lê Đại Hành succession: Emperor Lê Đại Hành committed the same error as his predecessor Đinh Tiên Hoàng in that he repudiated his oldest son Lê Ngân Tích as heir to the throne. In his will, he gave preference to a younger son, Lê Long Việt. Lê Đại Hành died in 1005, at the age of 65 and after 25 years of rule.
*Lê Long Việt, Lê Trung Tông (1005)
Lê Long Việt's reign was very brief; he was assassinated by a coalition of his brothers Lê Ngân Tích, Lê Long Kính, and Lê Long Đĩnh who refused to recognize him out of jealousy. Lê Long Việt's emperor-name was Lê Trung or (Trang) Tông. After the assassination, all three brothers vied against one another for one throne. Lê Ngân Tích was captured and beheaded while attempting to flee the country. Lê Long Kính 'disappeared' and was never heard from again. The last remaining brother, Lê Long Đĩnh, took control of the realm and proclaimed himself emperor.
*Lê Ngọa Triều (1005–1009)
Lê Long Đĩnh's reign and court was famous for its 'lying sessions' when presiding, giving reception, etc., earning him the name Lê Ngọa Triều - the one who rules while lying. Lê Long Đĩnh's rule was characterized by debaucheries, wild orgies and decadence. Historians compare him to the Roman Emperor Nero as he was well known for his cruelties, not the least of which were sadism and torture (of relatives, prisoners, thieves, beggars, traitors, etc.) in which he loved to participate. The only person under his rule who did not fear or run away from him was Lý Công Uẩn (973–1028), a high-ranking mandarin counselor in the court.
*The rise of the Later Lý Dynasty (1009)
Never before in Vietnam's history had an emperor's rule been so hated as Lê Long Đĩnh's. The people and peasants at that time were sick and tired of the cruelty which marked his rule. A few counselors and monks were plotting to install a new ruler. When Lê Long Đĩnh died he left an infant son who was to succeed him, but the court, now heavily under the influence of monks and Buddhism, agreed to enthrone Lý Công Uẩn as the new emperor. As the first emperor of the Lý Dynasty, Lý Công Uẩn would take the emperor-name Lý Thái Tổ, inaugurating a new era in Vietnam's history.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Hanoi Cooking Classes TourCooking class 1How great would it be to be able to return home from your time in Vietnam, to dazzle your family and friends with mouth-watering delicacies like Banana Flower Salad, Bun Cha and Fresh Spring Rolls. [...]D: n/a00
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- Southern Vietnam Beaches RelaxDay 1: Arrival Sai Gon Upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City. Your driver will meet you at the airport and escort you to Hotel. Your hotel is right on heart and is located close to the main sights of this fascinating city. The rest of the day is [...]D: n/a00
- Best Market from Can Cau to Bac Ha 4 days/ 3nightsDay 1 : Hanoi -Laocai ( night train ) Pick up at your hotel and taxi take you to Hanoi Railway Station for the night train at at 9:30 PM to get to Laocai Station. Sleep on the train. Day 2 : Arrival Laocai - Bacha - Cancau market [...]D: n/a00
- Best way to from Noi bai airport to Hanoi centerVietnam Sunshine Travel is specializing in package and customized tours, cruise tours, hotel booking... for travelers to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are licensed as an International Tour Operator Company (License No: 01-005/TCDL-GP [...]D: 0.3mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
El Aljibe is the most popular restaurant in Havana, being famous for its roasted chicken which comes with large dishes of rice, black beans,...
Food: El Aljibe Restaurant in Havana
If you are going to Constance, coming from the north of germany, direction of Ravensburg, take the ferry at Meersburg. It will save you at least 30...
Public Transportation: Taking a shortcut to the city
Kressbronn Am Bodensee, Germany
Wenn man in der Nähe des Bodensees ist und in der Gegend von Kressbronn, dann sollte man zum entspannen ins dortige Strandbad am Bodensee gehen....
General: Strandbad am Bodensee
If you are looking for a good restaurant for having lunch in the city center, i recommend the 'Walfisch', in english it means Wale. It´s an good...
Food: Restaurant Walfisch
While visiting Calais you must see the amazing white cliffs of Dover, visible even from Calais when the wheather is clear. The cliffs started to...
General: The white cliffs of Dover
If you are at Split, the ancient Spalato, you should take a look at the palace of the emperor Diocletian, reigning in the late 3rd century a.c. ...
History & Culture: Ancient palace of the roman emperor Diocletian
The place with the best night life is definitely Siofok. You can find there parties all night long right near the Balaton lake. Give it a try!
Night Life & Entertainment: Siofok, near Balaton lake
Keep local currency take loose clothes with you avoid skirts and mini skirts kinda dress
Food: Travel to pakistan
Nice, quiet, more like a living wonder.
General: Living wonder
Go place, see and absorb the culture as if it was your own