Festivals in Vietnam in February, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Festivals in Vietnam in February
- General travel tip
- City center
There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated traditional festival in Vietnam. Since the first days of lunar year are thought to set the tone for the next 12 months, everyone strives to plan a perfect Tet.
As preparation for the TET is completed and houses are well-stocked with food and sweets, families get together to share an evening meal on the last day of the 12th lunar month. Food and drink is offered to the family ancestors and they are invited to join the family for the vacation. Before the family begins to eat, the family group will raise their glasses in the first toast to the New Year. Afterwards, it is customary to join the throngs of people in the streets to take in the local firework display.
The first few days of Tet are spent in relaxation with one's family. Indeed, many shops and businesses are closed during this time. Spending time with family, paying visits to friends, relatives and neighbors and hearty meals for all those who drop by are hallmarks of this joyous time of year for Vietnamese people.
Located 18km from Hanoi, Lim village is the place where is well known for its impressive festivals. The most typical Lim Festival feature is Quan Ho singing. It is the well- organized Quan Ho folk song that attracts thousands of visitors to come here to enjoy singing competitions between the country's most skilled “lien anh' (male singers) and 'lien chi' (female singers). In addition, visitors come to enjoy the weaving competition of the Noi Due girls who weave and sing Quan Ho songs at the same time. Like other religious festivals, the Lim Festival goes through all the ritual stages, from the procession to the worshipping ceremony, and includes other activities.
PERFUME PAGODA FESTIVAL
Vietnam's most celebrated festival is held each February at the Perfume Pagoda, 70km southwest of Hanoi. It is the most famous Buddhist pilgrimage site in the northern Vietnam and every year literally tens of thousands of pilgrims travel to the sacred cave to pray for happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Unlike many other festivals, the Huong Pagoda Festival does not only focus on traditional games, but rather romantic trips to caves, pagodas and temples and participation in ceremonies to beseech favors from Lord Buddha. The trip to the cave which is set high up in a limestone.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- How to book ast minute all inclusive Vietnam packages toursIf you are looking into some great information on a last minute Vietnam packages tours you may think of a holiday that is more flexible so you just book it a way as this kind of last minute holiday packages are on offer for limited time, of [...]D: n/a00
- Group travel packages to Vietnam by LuxuryTravelVietnam.comLuxury Travel Vietnam Travelers rave about Vietnam 's incredibly friendly people, unique 54 traditions, beautiful landscape and countryside. Vietnam has established its reputation as a unique and genuine Southeast Asian experience. And now, [...]D: n/a00
- All inclusive holiday to VietnamThere is no doubt that a luxury holiday to Vietnam has been promoted very well, there are several good tour operators that offering unbeatable packages and all inclusive tours and vacation packages to anyone with any kind of traveling style [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Laos off the beaten path trailsIf South East of Asia and specifically Indochina is your vacation target, be sure to know what you truly interested to do because this will make your trip more interesting and meaningful. A Laos tours is one of the traveler’s favorite [...]D: n/a00
- A Taste of Vietnam with greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary This trip is designed for the traveler with limited time and an unlimited appetite for a culinary adventure. It features a 12-day itinerary of Vietnam 's most popular spots, with many special opportunities to discover [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
From November there is a nice Christmas Market in front of the Schönbrunn Palace. We arrived here late afternoon, but all the free parking spaces...
General: Parking near the Schonbrunn
Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil
Please do not miss the Monumental Ilumination of the Itaipu. Only occurs in fridays and saturdays, but it worth it.
General: Don´t Miss
Located on the northern part of Lhasa is the residence of the Dalai Lama, the leader of the Buddhist religion. The Palace is also a World Heritage...
History & Culture: Potala Palace
If you are looking for 'fun for free' in Lille, one suggestion is The Zoo. The zoo is located inside the town's citadel (La Citadelle), in a really...
Family & Fun: Zoo in Lille
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
Trekeffect is an online tool that help you plan your trips.Trekeffect lets you discover new destinations, know what to do in those destinations and...
General: Plan Your Trip With Trekeffect
Diesel is one of the most stylish and coolest bars I have been too. What's amazing about the place is the fact that the club is built into this...
Night Life & Entertainment: Diesel
This is something you really shouldn't miss. This open air museum is only 2 km from the city and is huge. There are houses exposed, original...
Outdoors Activities: Museum of Traditional Folk Civilisation
El Paso, Texas
A bit far from downtown El Paso, the Edge of Texas Steakhouse is still a place worth going to if you would like really great food. Their steaks is...
Food: Edge of Texas Steakhouse
Nice place in th winter, if you want to go skiing, without paying so much money like at Ischgl.
Outdoors Activities: Skiing in Schruns