Festivals in Vietnam in February, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Festivals in Vietnam in February
- General travel tip
- City center
There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated traditional festival in Vietnam. Since the first days of lunar year are thought to set the tone for the next 12 months, everyone strives to plan a perfect Tet.
As preparation for the TET is completed and houses are well-stocked with food and sweets, families get together to share an evening meal on the last day of the 12th lunar month. Food and drink is offered to the family ancestors and they are invited to join the family for the vacation. Before the family begins to eat, the family group will raise their glasses in the first toast to the New Year. Afterwards, it is customary to join the throngs of people in the streets to take in the local firework display.
The first few days of Tet are spent in relaxation with one's family. Indeed, many shops and businesses are closed during this time. Spending time with family, paying visits to friends, relatives and neighbors and hearty meals for all those who drop by are hallmarks of this joyous time of year for Vietnamese people.
Located 18km from Hanoi, Lim village is the place where is well known for its impressive festivals. The most typical Lim Festival feature is Quan Ho singing. It is the well- organized Quan Ho folk song that attracts thousands of visitors to come here to enjoy singing competitions between the country's most skilled “lien anh' (male singers) and 'lien chi' (female singers). In addition, visitors come to enjoy the weaving competition of the Noi Due girls who weave and sing Quan Ho songs at the same time. Like other religious festivals, the Lim Festival goes through all the ritual stages, from the procession to the worshipping ceremony, and includes other activities.
PERFUME PAGODA FESTIVAL
Vietnam's most celebrated festival is held each February at the Perfume Pagoda, 70km southwest of Hanoi. It is the most famous Buddhist pilgrimage site in the northern Vietnam and every year literally tens of thousands of pilgrims travel to the sacred cave to pray for happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Unlike many other festivals, the Huong Pagoda Festival does not only focus on traditional games, but rather romantic trips to caves, pagodas and temples and participation in ceremonies to beseech favors from Lord Buddha. The trip to the cave which is set high up in a limestone.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Vietnam Tour packageVietnam Sunshine Travel is specializing in package and customized tours, cruise tours, hotel booking... for travelers to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are licensed as an International Tour Operator Company (License No: 01-005/TCDL-GP [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Top Things to include to your Cambodia TourTravelers rave about a Cambodia tour packages and would like to visit the must see attraction including a few day beach stay at Sihanoukville or other surrounded coastlines. However, if you’d like to know more about the must see list to [...]D: n/a00
- Top destination with luxury aspect in VietnamVietnam is home to some of the most unique natural and historical sites one could expect to visit, explore the scenic Halong and emerge you through the magnificent beauty by the thousands of lush green limestone karst, this is a place [...]D: n/a00
- Central Golf Coast Vacation in Vietnam 6 daysDay 1: Arrive in Danang (D) Upon arrival at Danang, you will be greeted by our guide who will begin by escorting you on a tour of the city, including the Cham Museum where you can find out more about this ancient but advanced civilization. [...]D: n/a00
- Hanoi Cooking Classes TourCooking class 1How great would it be to be able to return home from your time in Vietnam, to dazzle your family and friends with mouth-watering delicacies like Banana Flower Salad, Bun Cha and Fresh Spring Rolls. [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are at Schaffhausen, you should take a look at the well knwon Waterfalls of the River Rhein there. Also the surrounding nature is worth to...
Outdoors Activities: Waterfalls of the Rhein River
Prague, Czech Republic
A combination of very large and very small spaces characterises Dox Center for Contemporary Art best. The main hall is 7000 square feet large and...
History & Culture: Dox Center for Contemporary Art
For all you beach lovers out there, this is a must when in Croatia. Considered to be the best beach in Croatia because of shape, it is a peninsula...
Beaches : Zlatni Rat
If you are exactly in the center of the city, you will see a narrow street with stairs between two buildings. On the wall near the street is a sign...
Food: Eating 'Langos' in the center of the city
Bangladesh cheap package tour -2010-2011 Bangladesh Expeditions (Specialist in River Cruises & Eco-Adventure) There isn't a better or more...
Sightseeing: Tour operator of bangladesh
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
The inner city of Sighisoara (Schassburg in German and Segesvar in Hungarian)is wonderful. The city has all the traits of the Saxon architecture as...
History & Culture: The Inner City
If you are the the modern city of Tarsus, you definitely should visit the ancient city. The oldest parts can be traced back till 4th millenium B.C.
History & Culture: Ancient Tarsus
Albuquerque, New Mexico
For almost 3 miles you can view the mountainside of the Sandia Peak while you look down on the rocks and trees that change color as autumn comes...
Sightseeing: Sandia Peak Tramway
As if you had stepped into the land of lights, music, people and fun. There are a lot of attractions to see in this magical land, called Navy Pier...
Family & Fun: Navy Pier - A Magical Land