Festivals in Vietnam in February, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Festivals in Vietnam in February
- General travel tip
- City center
There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated traditional festival in Vietnam. Since the first days of lunar year are thought to set the tone for the next 12 months, everyone strives to plan a perfect Tet.
As preparation for the TET is completed and houses are well-stocked with food and sweets, families get together to share an evening meal on the last day of the 12th lunar month. Food and drink is offered to the family ancestors and they are invited to join the family for the vacation. Before the family begins to eat, the family group will raise their glasses in the first toast to the New Year. Afterwards, it is customary to join the throngs of people in the streets to take in the local firework display.
The first few days of Tet are spent in relaxation with one's family. Indeed, many shops and businesses are closed during this time. Spending time with family, paying visits to friends, relatives and neighbors and hearty meals for all those who drop by are hallmarks of this joyous time of year for Vietnamese people.
Located 18km from Hanoi, Lim village is the place where is well known for its impressive festivals. The most typical Lim Festival feature is Quan Ho singing. It is the well- organized Quan Ho folk song that attracts thousands of visitors to come here to enjoy singing competitions between the country's most skilled “lien anh' (male singers) and 'lien chi' (female singers). In addition, visitors come to enjoy the weaving competition of the Noi Due girls who weave and sing Quan Ho songs at the same time. Like other religious festivals, the Lim Festival goes through all the ritual stages, from the procession to the worshipping ceremony, and includes other activities.
PERFUME PAGODA FESTIVAL
Vietnam's most celebrated festival is held each February at the Perfume Pagoda, 70km southwest of Hanoi. It is the most famous Buddhist pilgrimage site in the northern Vietnam and every year literally tens of thousands of pilgrims travel to the sacred cave to pray for happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Unlike many other festivals, the Huong Pagoda Festival does not only focus on traditional games, but rather romantic trips to caves, pagodas and temples and participation in ceremonies to beseech favors from Lord Buddha. The trip to the cave which is set high up in a limestone.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Assortment of Vietnam Vacation from HanoiIf you are an experienced traveler but Vietnam is your first Asian experience then you need to follow this article to get to know enough information in order to arrange your Vietnam vacation packages. There are huge options to choose from [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Family Vacations 8 days | Luxury Travel VietnamDay 1: Arrive Ho Chi Minh City On arrival at Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International airport, you will be greeted by our guide and transferred to your hotel in town. Overnight in HCMC. Day 2: Cao Dai Temples & Cu Chi Tunnels (B) This [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Southern Vietnam Beaches RelaxDay 1: Arrival Sai Gon Upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City. Your driver will meet you at the airport and escort you to Hotel. Your hotel is right on heart and is located close to the main sights of this fascinating city. The rest of the day is [...]D: n/a00
- Top destination with luxury aspect in VietnamVietnam is home to some of the most unique natural and historical sites one could expect to visit, explore the scenic Halong and emerge you through the magnificent beauty by the thousands of lush green limestone karst, this is a place [...]D: n/a00
- Classic Vietnam Sightseeing Tour 10 Days 9 NightsDay 1: Arrival Hanoi Vietnam Today you’ll land in Hanoi. Warmly welcome by Tour Guide & Car Driver at airport then transfer to Hanoi Downtown, a city of lakes, shaded boulevards, public parks, and the capital of Vietnam. Check into your [...]D: 0.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you want to go shopping on a high level, go to Zurich. There´s much you can do there in that sense.
General: Shopping in the city center
Kressbronn Am Bodensee, Germany
Wenn man in der Nähe des Bodensees ist und in der Gegend von Kressbronn, dann sollte man zum entspannen ins dortige Strandbad am Bodensee gehen....
General: Strandbad am Bodensee
The Cathedral is the third largest church and the absolute largest Gothic Church in the world. Its construction was completed in around 1500 and...
History & Culture: Catedral
Salford, United Kingdom
UK Minibus Hire is a minibus hire company in the United Kingdom. We are offering to book local minibus around many popular regions Sheffield,...
Public Transportation: Ukminibuses Travel
This was the first Christian abbey and monastery in Hungary at the very beginning of the 13th century. The building is beautiful, the monks are...
History & Culture: Benedictan Archabbey
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
Baia Mare, Romania
A captivating place to visit especially for children, the Baia Mare Mineralogy Museum welcomes tourists with a permanent exhibitions of minerals...
General: Mineralogy Museum
Anyone visiting Moscow will certainly need to go see the Red Square with the Kreml in the back. This is an amazing site simply because of it's...
Sightseeing: Red Square
If you want to take a break from the bustle of the big city and spend a fewo hours in a place of tranquility and spiritual harmony, take a walk in...
General: Japanese Garden in Portland
San Jose, California
For golf-lovers the Cinnabar Hills Golf Club is like heaven on earth. Playing through a canyon, lake and mountain area, with lush green scenery and...
Sports & Wellness : Cinnabar Hills Golf Club