Festivals in Vietnam in February, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Festivals in Vietnam in February
- General travel tip
- City center
There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated traditional festival in Vietnam. Since the first days of lunar year are thought to set the tone for the next 12 months, everyone strives to plan a perfect Tet.
As preparation for the TET is completed and houses are well-stocked with food and sweets, families get together to share an evening meal on the last day of the 12th lunar month. Food and drink is offered to the family ancestors and they are invited to join the family for the vacation. Before the family begins to eat, the family group will raise their glasses in the first toast to the New Year. Afterwards, it is customary to join the throngs of people in the streets to take in the local firework display.
The first few days of Tet are spent in relaxation with one's family. Indeed, many shops and businesses are closed during this time. Spending time with family, paying visits to friends, relatives and neighbors and hearty meals for all those who drop by are hallmarks of this joyous time of year for Vietnamese people.
Located 18km from Hanoi, Lim village is the place where is well known for its impressive festivals. The most typical Lim Festival feature is Quan Ho singing. It is the well- organized Quan Ho folk song that attracts thousands of visitors to come here to enjoy singing competitions between the country's most skilled “lien anh' (male singers) and 'lien chi' (female singers). In addition, visitors come to enjoy the weaving competition of the Noi Due girls who weave and sing Quan Ho songs at the same time. Like other religious festivals, the Lim Festival goes through all the ritual stages, from the procession to the worshipping ceremony, and includes other activities.
PERFUME PAGODA FESTIVAL
Vietnam's most celebrated festival is held each February at the Perfume Pagoda, 70km southwest of Hanoi. It is the most famous Buddhist pilgrimage site in the northern Vietnam and every year literally tens of thousands of pilgrims travel to the sacred cave to pray for happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Unlike many other festivals, the Huong Pagoda Festival does not only focus on traditional games, but rather romantic trips to caves, pagodas and temples and participation in ceremonies to beseech favors from Lord Buddha. The trip to the cave which is set high up in a limestone.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Hanoi - Halong Overnight On BoatHanoi - Halong Overnight On Boat (05 Days 04 Nights) Day 01: Hanoi Arrival Dinner On arrival at Noi Bai airport, you are met and transferred to Hanoi – Vietnam’s capital, is a stylish and gracious city that retain an [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Mekong Biking 3 Days Saigon - Ben Tre - Vinh Long - Can ThoDay1: Saigon to Vinh Long. (Lunch, dinner) We travel two hours from Saigon to My Tho where we board our boat. Late morning finds us drifting down bustling arteries of the Mekong from where we veer off to travel down the tranquil canals. Our [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam packages tours 12 daysDay 1: Arrive Hanoi (D) You will be warmly welcomedupon arrival Hanoi airport and transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon you will take a private walking city tour to visit local markets and Hanoi’s Old Quarter, known for its 36 [...]D: n/a00
- Assortment of Vietnam Vacation from HanoiIf you are an experienced traveler but Vietnam is your first Asian experience then you need to follow this article to get to know enough information in order to arrange your Vietnam vacation packages. There are huge options to choose from [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Travel GuideVietnam travel guide http://www.nhomphuot.com/tag/phuot [...]D: 507.9mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Check your holiday acommodation 100%, if you rent a holiday house.
General: Holiday house
Verne was born in Nantes and the Museum was opened for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his birth. It's a great place for everyone who...
History & Culture: Jules Verne Museum
Welcome to MyCebuRealEstate your wealth of information on Cebu Real Estate and Philippine Real Estate. Having a hard time finding the perfect...
General: Cebu Real Estate - Cebu House - Philippine Real Estate
If you are Arieseni, I recommend, whether it be summer or winter, a walk to the hole Ruginoasa is very spectacular, constantly expanding, ground...
Outdoors Activities: Trekking in Arieseni
Visit Braila city ,Romania, an historical towm on the Danube, with a local guide -walking tour in Braila city -historical places,churches,main...
Sightseeing: Braila city tour/Braila walking tour
Hermosa Beach, California
It’s always happening at this place, which happens to be one of my favorite hangouts near the beach. Most people probably know Hennessey's Tavern...
Food: Hennessey's Tavern
Lots of corn-fields!
Outdoors Activities: Indianapolis 500
French cuisine is interesting enough as it is, but it has never been quite as surprising as at this small, family run restaurant that decided to...
Food: Le Coq au Vin
Raleigh, North Carolina
It is both a Cafe and a bakery and they also serve excellent food and offer catering. I loved the sautéed chicken and roasted vegetables as...
Food: Neomonde Restaurant
Rochester, New York
Put dryer sheets in your luggage to keep it fresh and maouse free!!
General: Dryer sheets