Festivals in Vietnam in February, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Festivals in Vietnam in February
- General travel tip
- City center
There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated traditional festival in Vietnam. Since the first days of lunar year are thought to set the tone for the next 12 months, everyone strives to plan a perfect Tet.
As preparation for the TET is completed and houses are well-stocked with food and sweets, families get together to share an evening meal on the last day of the 12th lunar month. Food and drink is offered to the family ancestors and they are invited to join the family for the vacation. Before the family begins to eat, the family group will raise their glasses in the first toast to the New Year. Afterwards, it is customary to join the throngs of people in the streets to take in the local firework display.
The first few days of Tet are spent in relaxation with one's family. Indeed, many shops and businesses are closed during this time. Spending time with family, paying visits to friends, relatives and neighbors and hearty meals for all those who drop by are hallmarks of this joyous time of year for Vietnamese people.
Located 18km from Hanoi, Lim village is the place where is well known for its impressive festivals. The most typical Lim Festival feature is Quan Ho singing. It is the well- organized Quan Ho folk song that attracts thousands of visitors to come here to enjoy singing competitions between the country's most skilled “lien anh' (male singers) and 'lien chi' (female singers). In addition, visitors come to enjoy the weaving competition of the Noi Due girls who weave and sing Quan Ho songs at the same time. Like other religious festivals, the Lim Festival goes through all the ritual stages, from the procession to the worshipping ceremony, and includes other activities.
PERFUME PAGODA FESTIVAL
Vietnam's most celebrated festival is held each February at the Perfume Pagoda, 70km southwest of Hanoi. It is the most famous Buddhist pilgrimage site in the northern Vietnam and every year literally tens of thousands of pilgrims travel to the sacred cave to pray for happiness and prosperity for the coming year. Unlike many other festivals, the Huong Pagoda Festival does not only focus on traditional games, but rather romantic trips to caves, pagodas and temples and participation in ceremonies to beseech favors from Lord Buddha. The trip to the cave which is set high up in a limestone.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Planning a luxury vacaton in Vietnam for christmasThere is much more on Vietnam packages tours than visiting all the must see places and attractions which you can easily find through any travel itinerary because nowadays online tour providers are focusing more on what every holiday makers [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Tours & Vietnam Tour Packages |...Vietnam tour packages customized to fit your exact wishes Vietnam is a very popular destination in Indochina peninsula, all our Vietnam tours are designed to meet your requirements and interest in mind, following are only a sampling of [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Vietnam Travel HolidayVietnam Travel Holiday, Holiday Tour Travel, Vietnam Travel Holidays-Vietnam Lao Cambodia Travel, Vietnam Laos Cambodia Tour Vietnamtravelways.com operated by OPENTOUR VIETNAM GROUP [...]D: 2.5mi00
- Book 5 star luxury Hotels and resorts in Vietnam |...Book your favorite Luxury and top 5 star hotel and resorts in Vietnam, Our rate are better that rack-rate, if you find lower rate,contact us immediately Can Tho Hotels | Chaudoc Hotels | Dalat Hotels | Danang Hotels | Halong Bay Hotels | [...]D: 507.9mi00
- Hanoi Cooking Classes TourCooking class 1How great would it be to be able to return home from your time in Vietnam, to dazzle your family and friends with mouth-watering delicacies like Banana Flower Salad, Bun Cha and Fresh Spring Rolls. [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
La Alcazaba is the best preserved Moorish fortification in Spain. It is in very good state and a great place to spend a sunny afternoon. It was...
History & Culture: La Alcazaba
The museum is dedicated to the history and art of wine. It is located in the Chartrons quarter, which was the traditional center of wine merchants....
History & Culture: Wine and Wine Trade Museum
York, United Kingdom
York is a beautiful walled city on the river Ouse, with Viking roots and archeology to explore in the Viking Centre, Tudor buildings overhanging...
General: The Cliffords Tower and Castle Museum
I cannot say too much about Katerini, but I can assure you that you will regret if you miss out its park in the middle of the town! It is a...
Outdoors Activities: Beautiful park in the center of Katerini
During these two weeks we drove the total of 4.000 something km visiting four countries.
General: 14 Day Road Trip in Europe
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Check booking fares early & often The flight booking fares always fluctuate, so timing is everything to book a flight ticket. I recommend...
General: Minimal stop when flying
If you go to Tusnad don't miss to visit the Saint Anna lake. It is a bid cold but very beautiful!
Outdoors Activities: You must visit the St. Anna lake
Travel tips for tourists to enjoy when they visit to Arusha in Tanzania include good places to visit and things to do. First of all, Kilimanjaro...
Sightseeing: Tanzanite gems tour, navuru waterfall and wildlife safari places
Ponce Inlet, Florida
Dining on deck with dolphins jumping up and down beside you is really a unique experience. We were so lucky to get a glimpse of them playing in the...
Food: Down The Hatch Restaurant
Hanoi Bac Mai, Vietnam
Top places to visit on your Myanmar Tour Packages # 1: Experience an exciting and really different cruising through the Ayeyarwady River in...
Sightseeing: Top destinations to see in Myanmar