The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Halong bay - Cat Ba - Monkey Island Resort 4 DaysDay 1: Hanoi – Ha long (Lunch, dinner) 08h00 AM: Depart for Halong in 3 hours and a half (you will have a short break of 30 minutes in Hai Duong province). 11h30 AM: Arrive Ha long bay, get on the Junk, your lunch will be in the [...]D: n/a00
- Experience a magical mix of beaches, post colonial,Unesco...16 Days trip to Vietnam by Luxury Travel Vietnam Outlined tour program: Day 1: Arrival Hanoi (D) Day 2: Hanoi (B/L) Day 3: Half Day City Hanoi with visit artist and dine in style, (B/D) Day 4: Hanoi - Halong Bay Natural World Heritage [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Festivals in Vietnam in FebruaryLunar New Year, TET Holiday There is no more colorful time to be in Vietnam than during the days leading up to the Lunar New year ( known as 'Tet Nguyen Dan' or 'Tet'), the most important as well as the most widely and heartily celebrated [...]D: n/a00
- All inclusive holiday to VietnamThere is no doubt that a luxury holiday to Vietnam has been promoted very well, there are several good tour operators that offering unbeatable packages and all inclusive tours and vacation packages to anyone with any kind of traveling style [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Group travel packages to Vietnam by LuxuryTravelVietnam.comLuxury Travel Vietnam Travelers rave about Vietnam 's incredibly friendly people, unique 54 traditions, beautiful landscape and countryside. Vietnam has established its reputation as a unique and genuine Southeast Asian experience. And now, [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
After eating Costa Rican food for days, you might want to change it up and head down to Jungle Love. This is one of the best restaurants in Costa...
Food: Jungle Love
If you want to spend the night at a cool location in Augsburg, where good music is played, you have to visit the 'Mahagoni Bar'. There is even a...
Night Life & Entertainment: Mahagoni Bar
Belfast, United Kingdom
The wall Murals of Belfast are the symbols of the city. They depict the division of the streets and neighborhoods according to political an...
Sightseeing: The famous Murals
If you´re interested in ancient greek culture, you shouldn´t miss the ancient city of Argos, with it´s theater, cut in the rocks and the agora.
General: The ancient city
If you want to reach other cities from there, go to the main bus station in the city center, directly adjacent to the harbour.
Public Transportation: Reaching other cities from Gythion
Duba, Saudi Arabia
Dubai is a fun and frivolous playground on the Persian Gulf, but don’t consider it the Vegas of the Middle East. While this eclectic city is one...
General: 12 things not to do in Dubai
What else would you do in Anaheim other than going to Disneyland. This is the perfect place for the family. Although, I would only go there with...
Family & Fun: Disneyland
Trying to find a fairly cheap hotel in Detroit wasn’t an easy task as I imagined, but we managed in the end. There are so many hotels and motels,...
General: Fairly cheap St.Regis
I think a trip to Pittsburgh is not complete without a visit to the Cathedral of Learning. From far it looks like a skyscraper, an immensely tall...
History & Culture: Cathedral of Learning
Another part from downtown which features local shops, restaurants and homes is Stockton's Miracle Mile which can give you a glimpse of into...
Night Life & Entertainment: Stockton's Miracle Mile