The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Hanoi Old Quarter & Three star hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter.Sunshine Suites Hotel Hanoi is located at 52 Ma May Street, in the heart of Hanoi Capital. Strategically located at one of the busiest street of the Hanoi Old Quarter, just 2 minute walking to the famous Hoan Kiem Lake and many famous [...]D: 0.3mi00
- A Taste of Vietnam with greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary This trip is designed for the traveler with limited time and an unlimited appetite for a culinary adventure. It features a 12-day itinerary of Vietnam 's most popular spots, with many special opportunities to discover [...]D: n/a00
- Tips to cure seasickness for travelers- Before sailing, do not eat greasy food or acid as orange juice, grapefruit juice ... because these foods are hard to digest. But it should not to let yourself starve. Both A full and an empty stomach will make you uncomfortable. - Drink [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Vietnam Travel HolidayVietnam Travel Holiday, Holiday Tour Travel, Vietnam Travel Holidays-Vietnam Lao Cambodia Travel, Vietnam Laos Cambodia Tour Vietnamtravelways.com operated by OPENTOUR VIETNAM GROUP [...]D: 2.5mi00
- Hanoi - Halong Overnight On BoatHanoi - Halong Overnight On Boat (05 Days 04 Nights) Day 01: Hanoi Arrival Dinner On arrival at Noi Bai airport, you are met and transferred to Hanoi – Vietnam’s capital, is a stylish and gracious city that retain an [...]D: 2.3mi10
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegowina
Recently opened Hotel Union offers something for everyone. This sophisticated hotel is located in the heart of Sarajevo, close to the business...
General: Hotel UNION
If you are at Sion, you should try to visit the ancient roman building remnants, that are mainly covered by private buildings. You should also go...
Sightseeing: Roman building remnants
The building of the Step Pyramid of Djoser was a very important moment in the Egyptian Architecture for it was the first stone pyramid built in...
History & Culture: Pyramid of Djoser
My hometown is now the fifth largest city in all Japan, but in 1857 its inhabitants numbered only 7 people. After it was chosen as an...
General: Sapporo, my favorite city
This is the main sight to visit in Casablanca, it is the biggest mosque in Morocco and the 5th largest in the world. You can see the mosque from...
Sightseeing: Hassan II Mosque
VIVA VINO JAZZ CLUB. Cool Jazz, great wine and beer, not to mention top of the line tequilas, a visit to this CLUB is a must. Whether you choose to...
Night Life & Entertainment: Viva Vino Jazz Club
Las Pinas, Philippines
MARBLES resto bar, billiards and ktv located along Alabang Zapote road has been one of Las Pinas' pioneer gimmick spots with its 11 pool tables,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar, Billiards,KTV and Live Bands
El Paso, Texas
This place is really charming and elegant in the same time. We had an enjoyable afternoon in the Caffe Fioretti and we would go back in a heartbeat...
Food: Caffe Fioretti
In this land of fun and play, kids with different tastes will find something that is more suitable for them. The Blackbeard's Family...
Family & Fun: Blackbeard's Family Entertainment Center
Manhattan Beach, California
When in Manhattan Beach, make sure you take the time to walk down to the pier. It’s not only a good view over the ocean, but also a nice place to...
Sightseeing: Manhattan Beach Pier