The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Make the Most of Your Hanoi City Day Trip with www...“Buffalo Tours takes you to a fully guided day tour to Hanoi city and makes you enjoy the selected highlights that this beautiful and charismatic city has to offer.” Explore major highlights that Vietnam Hanoi city tour has [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Car rental in hanoiItinerary Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam since the 11th century dazzles visitors its unique blend of oriental lifestyle, French colonial architecture, tree-lined boulevards and peaceful lakes. Still retaining a charming air from its colonial [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Festival Hue, National Tourism Year to coincide in 2012Festival Hue, National Tourism Year to coincide in 2012 Festival HueNext year's Festival Hue will coincide with the National Tourism Year to be held across the north-central coastal region, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Motobike Hue City Tour, Hue Moto Tour, Hue to Hoian Moto...WELCOME TO HUE MOTOBIKE RIDER TEAM VIETNAM TRIP FINDER Come and enjoy fully local professional Hue Motocycle Rider Service, with an vocational rider team, good local guide communicate by English, We serve Hue Moto Tour, [...]D: 6.2mi00
- The Partition of VietnamThe Partition of Vietnam The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War. The Geneva Conference was held [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
This is not a very big zoo, but a very nice one. They take really good care of the animals and try to make their places as natural like as possible...
Outdoors Activities: Zoological Gardens
If you are in the south of germany, close to the village of Herbertingen, you should visit the open air museum called Heuneburg. It´s the place of...
Outdoors Activities: Open air museum
IF you are around at christmas, you should visit that chsitmas market at the city. It´s really famous and you can enjoy shopping, drinking a cup...
Shopping: Christkindlmarkt in the inner city
This is Antoni Gaudi's finest creation. It's an epic church topped with 4 spires ascending to the heavens. Despite still being under...
Sightseeing: La Sagrada Familia
It is a devotion of the holy Maria. It ranges from the so called 'Palmsonntag' till the end of 'Ostersonntag'. All over the city there are...
History & Culture: Semana Sant in der Stadt Sevilla
The city is nice in the center. You can go shopping everywhere, also on the local markets. If you don't know where to go, just go to the tourist...
Shopping: Shopping in city
If you are close, you should take a look at the impressing Castel at Carcassone. It also offers a great view over the city.
History & Culture: Catharian castle
You really shouldn´t miss the area of the ancient Corinthos with the remnants of the temple of Apollo and the great agora of the city.
General: The temple of Apollo
Alberta is a nice Canadian province to require a road trip. the general public head W from city to metropolis so work their thanks to opaque gem...
General: The Ultimate Alberta Road Trip
Though it may be more interesting for students, the University of Tulsa Campus can be just as 'entertaining' or adults as your youngsters...
Sightseeing: University of Tulsa Campus