The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Hanoi Old Quarter & Three star hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter.Sunshine Suites Hotel Hanoi is located at 52 Ma May Street, in the heart of Hanoi Capital. Strategically located at one of the busiest street of the Hanoi Old Quarter, just 2 minute walking to the famous Hoan Kiem Lake and many famous [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Halong Bay Cruises, travel tipsHa Long Bay is in northern Vietnam, 170 km (105 mi) east of Hanoi. The bay is famous for its scenic ocean karst topography and is often included in lists of natural wonders of the world. This amazing seascape of virtually uninhabited [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)The Early Lê dynasty (Vietnamese: Nhà Tiền Lê) was a dynasty that ruled Vietnam after the Đinh Dynasty and before the Lý Dynasty. They ruled for a total of three generations and was known for repelling the Song invasion. *Lê Đại [...]D: 7.4mi00
- 18 Days Explore Vietnam and Famous BeachesTour description: This trip will give you a chance to relax and admire Vietnamese beautiful nature with visits to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, Hue, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Cat Ba Island, Hai Phong, Phan Thiet, Quy Nhon, Mui [...]D: n/a00
- Halong bay - Cat Ba - Monkey Island Resort 4 DaysDay 1: Hanoi – Ha long (Lunch, dinner) 08h00 AM: Depart for Halong in 3 hours and a half (you will have a short break of 30 minutes in Hai Duong province). 11h30 AM: Arrive Ha long bay, get on the Junk, your lunch will be in the [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Wiener Neustadt, Austria
They have great drinks not for too much and great company. Also they have the best music in the area, so yes, I can say it's the best club in the...
Night Life & Entertainment: Backstage
Before you would step inside, you will observe the great building from the inside. It is very modern and planned by the famous architect, Douglas...
History & Culture: Canadian War Museum
If you want to feel party, go to Alicante during the time of the 'Hogueras de San Juan' at the 24th of june. A lot of exceptional sculptures are...
General: There you should go!
Can someone tell me how cost to rent a scooter per day in paralia greece
A 3-storey blue haveli where Great Mahatma Gandhi was born is converted into a Museum now. The aura of the place makes you feel undoubtedly...
History & Culture: Kirti Mandir
Near the river Pushpavati, there is an artistic legacy standing as Modhera Sun Temple. What carving, what detailing!!! The most amazing thing is...
General: Modhera Sun Temple
This place is extremely wonderful... u cant believe your eyes when u visit this holy place due to its awesome tile works and colored glass!!! u can...
History & Culture: Nasir-al-mulk mosque
As a traveler if you decide to visit Romania and on your schedule you'll find some time to explore Bucharest, than take a moment and stop in the...
Sightseeing: Historical Center of Bucharest
After we ate at the Snow City Cafe one morning, we went there almost every day for breakfast. The food is so delicious you just have to return the...
Food: Snow City Cafe
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Visit Mesilla! The Gadsden Purchase, which annexed Mesilla to the United States from Mexico and established the current international borders of...
General: Gadsden Purchase and Mesilla Plaza