The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Top 3 luxury destination with luxury holiday makersHanoi: A capital city of Vietnam with population of about seven millions with a glorious history dating back to over thousands years ago attracts visitors from everywhere; there are a lot of things to see while in Hanoi and no vacation is [...]D: n/a00
- Halong Bay ToursHalong Bay Vietnam is recognized as the famous World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1994 and the New 7 Wonders of Nature voted by the tourists over the world in 2012. Founded in 2006, Amazing Halong Bay becomes one of the best halong bay [...]D: n/a00
- Tips to cure seasickness for travelers- Before sailing, do not eat greasy food or acid as orange juice, grapefruit juice ... because these foods are hard to digest. But it should not to let yourself starve. Both A full and an empty stomach will make you uncomfortable. - Drink [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Vietnam visa approval voucher | Vietnameseprivatetours.comWhy should i apply for a Vietnamese Visa approval voucher? Hassle-free ? Online Application and process, no passport send-off, or embassy referral Convenience ? Applicable Only for Air traveling to Vietnam Fastest Approval ? Maximum 48 [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Tour of Vietnam Highlighting the Culture, Cuisine &...Outlined Itinerary An unique 16-Day Tour of Vietnam highlighting the Culture, Cuisine & Scenery of this fascinating country including a journey on the Luxurious Victoria Express from the Bustling City of Hanoi to the mountainous [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
This is Heaven from time immemorial. Welcome to Hangzhou China.
History & Culture: Living in Hangzhou China
If you are at Cologne, you definitely should visit this museum, if you´re interested in history of ancient romans and similar epoch´s. It shows...
History & Culture: Roman germanic museum at the city center
If you are at Weingarten around the end of july and during august, you should visit the theater festival at the monastery of Weingarten. It exists...
History & Culture: Theater festival at the monastery of the city
Verne was born in Nantes and the Museum was opened for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his birth. It's a great place for everyone who...
History & Culture: Jules Verne Museum
Getting to Skopje and sightseeing the city!
General: Skopje trip
Dumaguete City, Philippines
If you happen to be in Dumaguete, you can also try visiting nearby Valencia and Siquijor. For more details you visit my blog :)http://deadtoenails...
Sightseeing: Valencia and Siquijor side trip
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
Visit Braila city ,Romania, an historical towm on the Danube, with a local guide -walking tour in Braila city -historical places,churches,main...
Sightseeing: Braila city tour/Braila walking tour
Visit Bratislava in November or December if you would like to see all the streets decorated, beautiful Christmas trees on the squares and of course...
Family & Fun: Christmas Market, Bratislava
For us women, there is nothing more relaxing and perfect than a day at the spa and shopping, and Mylinda Renay Salon, which is a spa and a boutique...
Sports & Wellness : Mylinda Renay Salon