The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Hanoi - Halong Overnight On BoatHanoi - Halong Overnight On Boat (05 Days 04 Nights) Day 01: Hanoi Arrival Dinner On arrival at Noi Bai airport, you are met and transferred to Hanoi – Vietnam’s capital, is a stylish and gracious city that retain an [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Halong Bay ToursHalong Bay Vietnam is recognized as the famous World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1994 and the New 7 Wonders of Nature voted by the tourists over the world in 2012. Founded in 2006, Amazing Halong Bay becomes one of the best halong bay [...]D: n/a00
- Motobike Hue City Tour, Hue Moto Tour, Hue to Hoian Moto...WELCOME TO HUE MOTOBIKE RIDER TEAM VIETNAM TRIP FINDER Come and enjoy fully local professional Hue Motocycle Rider Service, with an vocational rider team, good local guide communicate by English, We serve Hue Moto Tour, [...]D: 6.2mi00
- Car rental in hanoiItinerary Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam since the 11th century dazzles visitors its unique blend of oriental lifestyle, French colonial architecture, tree-lined boulevards and peaceful lakes. Still retaining a charming air from its colonial [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Hanoi Old Quarter & Three star hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter.Sunshine Suites Hotel Hanoi is located at 52 Ma May Street, in the heart of Hanoi Capital. Strategically located at one of the busiest street of the Hanoi Old Quarter, just 2 minute walking to the famous Hoan Kiem Lake and many famous [...]D: 0.3mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Great for a day trip starting from Dresden
History & Culture: Medieval Silver Mining Town
It´s an open air museum from stone age and bronze age times (4.000 to 850 BC). You can see there a lot of historic and authentic reconstructed...
History & Culture: Museum of neolithic settlement
There is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy...
Sightseeing: Icon workshop in Kalambaka
Jammu is vey crowded during the months of october and April due to the holy Navratri season in India. To get good accommodations during these times...
General: Travel tip
The Catacombs of St.Callixtus (San Callisto) are among the largest and most important of Rome. They originated around the middle of the 2nd Century...
History & Culture: The catacombs
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
This Museum is a great place to know more about the Chinese origin in Johor Bahru. This would be the ideal place if you would like to know more...
History & Culture: Chinese Heritage Muesum
Is small homey restaurant that serves dishes that remind you of old times or your grandma's Sunday meals. The Moonshine Restaurant is a heaven...
Food: Moonshine Restaurant in Austin
This is only a water wall with water (alliteration here :P) flowing down the walls and steps of the building but it's spectacular. It might seems...
Sightseeing: Williams Water Wall
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Visit Mesilla! The Gadsden Purchase, which annexed Mesilla to the United States from Mexico and established the current international borders of...
General: Gadsden Purchase and Mesilla Plaza
While in venice, make sure you walk a lot and watch people. Don't get stuck anywhere and buying stuff is not worth it. It is a cheap place but...
General: Walk a lot and watch people