The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976), Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)
- General travel tip
- City center
During World War II, Vietnam was a French colony under Japanese occupation. Soon after Japan surrendered in 1945, the DRV was proclaimed in Hanoi. Viet Minh leader Hồ Chí Minh became head of the government while former emperor Bảo Đại became 'supreme advisor.' France accepted Hồ's government in March 1946, but at the same time set up a puppet government for the South in Saigon. Non-communist figures were ousted from the DRV on October 30th and fled to the South. In November, the French reoccupied Hanoi and the French Indochina War followed. Bảo Đại became head of the Saigon government in 1949, which was then renamed the State of Vietnam. Following the Geneva Accords of 1954, Vietnam was partitioned at the 17th parallel. The DRV became the government of North Vietnam while the State of Vietnam retained control in the South.
The Geneva Accords provided that nationwide elections would be held in 1956. Although France and the Vietminh had agreed to this provision, it was rejected by the State of Vietnam government. During the Vietnam War (1955–75), North Vietnam fought against the military of the Republic of Vietnam government and its anti-communist allies. At one point, the U.S. had 600,000 troops in the South. The war ended with the total victory of the North Vietnamese forces. The two halves of Vietnam (the North and the South) were united into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976.
China and the Soviet Union feuded with each other over their influence in North Vietnam, as both wanted to make the country their satellite state.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Make the Most of Your Hanoi City Day Trip with www...“Buffalo Tours takes you to a fully guided day tour to Hanoi city and makes you enjoy the selected highlights that this beautiful and charismatic city has to offer.” Explore major highlights that Vietnam Hanoi city tour has [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Hanoi - Halong Overnight On BoatHanoi - Halong Overnight On Boat (05 Days 04 Nights) Day 01: Hanoi Arrival Dinner On arrival at Noi Bai airport, you are met and transferred to Hanoi – Vietnam’s capital, is a stylish and gracious city that retain an [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Early Lê dynasty (980-1009)The Early Lê dynasty (Vietnamese: Nhà Tiền Lê) was a dynasty that ruled Vietnam after the Đinh Dynasty and before the Lý Dynasty. They ruled for a total of three generations and was known for repelling the Song invasion. *Lê Đại [...]D: 7.4mi00
- Best Market from Can Cau to Bac Ha 4 days/ 3nightsDay 1 : Hanoi -Laocai ( night train ) Pick up at your hotel and taxi take you to Hanoi Railway Station for the night train at at 9:30 PM to get to Laocai Station. Sleep on the train. Day 2 : Arrival Laocai - Bacha - Cancau market [...]D: n/a00
- Marguerite Junk Halong BayMarguerite Junks Halong bay belong to Tonkin Cruise Company! They have 4 Marguerite Junks : Marguerite Junk 01 built in 2009 , Marguerite Junk 02 built in 2011 and Marguerite Garden built in 2012. Marguerite Junks are Superior Cruises in [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The inner city consits mostly out of medieval buildings, so it´s worth a visit!
General: Medieval buildings in the inner city
Brewery restaurant Teerenpeli is a great place for drink in Lahti. They brew their on beer and cider. Teerenpeli is also one of the...
Food: Teerenpeli - Best place for a pint
While visiting Calais you must see the amazing white cliffs of Dover, visible even from Calais when the wheather is clear. The cliffs started to...
General: The white cliffs of Dover
For me this bookstore is Heaven on Earth!! I always loved to read while eating a snack or drink a cup of hot chocolate and to find a place that...
Shopping: Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe
The nicest place in Napa, I dare say. It's a French restaurant, as its name suggests and has an incredibly good cuisine. Everything is simply...
New Orleans, Louisiana
The Cabildo used to be the seat o the colonial government in Louisiana some centuries ago, but today it is quite an interesting museum, especially...
History & Culture: The Cabildo in New Orleans
Presque Isle, Maine
Maine is known as the best place for getting lobsters. Buying hard shell lobsters, in contrast to soft shell, gives you more meat for your dollar.
Nickerson is a nice place, perfect example of an urban bar with beer, pool table and a nice patio. Their prices are good and the staff is friendly,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Nickerson Street Saloon
Washington, District Of Columbia
Smithsonian Museums have the largest collection in the world of different areas of culture. 13 out of the 18 Smithsonian Museums are in Washington....
History & Culture: Smithsonian Museums
Are you interested on horse riding? Check 'Reiterhof Weissenhof'. It's ideal for kids, they offer lessons for kids and adults. It's ideal during a...
General: Horse Riding in Radstadt