Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon, Myanmar
Travel tips > Asia > Myanmar > Yangon > Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon
- General travel tip
- City center
Yangon in the late afternoon is mostly free from cars and motorbikes, with only buses and three-wheel taxis making their journey through the burning hot streets. The sidewalks bustle with souvenir shops, clothing store, bookshops and home appliance shops and vendors selling betel and tobacco to locals.
Sightseeing in Yangon
The first stop of is at the most famous Pagoda in town, there are a lot of tourist visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda. The grandiose Pagoda boasts a 325 ft zedi, adorned with 27 metric tons of gold leaf and thousands of diamonds and other precious gems. It is believed to enshrine eight hairs of the Gautama Buddha.
Legend has it that a stupa has existed on Singuttara Hill for 2600 years, ever since two merchant brothers, Tapussa and Ballika, met the Buddha, He gave them eight of his hair to take back to Myanmar, a land ruled over by king Okkalapa which enshrined the hairs in a temple of gold. This temple then was enclosed within a temple of silver, then one of tin, then copper, then lead, then marble and finally, one of Plain iron-brick. Archaeological finding suggest that the original stupa was built by the Mon people sometime between the 6th and 10th centuries.
The following day we set off early to Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock Pagoda. Located in the small town of Kyaiktiyo in the Mon state, the Pagoda lies 160km from Yangon. Standing 1100 KM above sea level, a steep road requiring a 4-wheel drive winds up to the base, most Myanmar tour packages are designed to travel the remaining4.5 km to the top by foot. For the elderly and infirm, a special service of palanquin bearers will take them up to the peak. This Pagoda is a spectacular sight. Resting on the edge of the cliff is a huge golden boulder and a small stupa five and half meters high is perched on top. The entire marvel of Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, or Golden rock, is 24.4 meters high.
From some vantage points it looks as if the rick will fall at any moment. According to legend, a single hair of the Buddha holds this great gilded boulder in place.
En-route back to Yangon, visit Bago city. Lying around 80km north of Yangon, this was the ancient capital of Mon kingdom during the 13 century, Bago, today is the capital of Bago division, for tourists wishing to have a glimpse of Myanmar’s traditional life, Bago is an ideal place to visit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Yangon
- Top beaches in Myanmar for a perfect holidayTop Islands to spend a quality Myanmar luxury holiday Kyun Phi Lar known as Pilar by Burmese and is a very beautiful island located in the center of Mergui Archipelago. This white and long sandy beaches island is an ideal place to spend [...]D: n/a00
- Myanmar tours with river cruise holidayIf your plan a unique and a bit different holiday in South-East of Asia then look no further as Myanmar is your choice for this year, the stunning temples, charming beauty and welcoming people with naïve life style is what Myanmar is all [...]D: n/a00
- Thing you should know when plan your Myanmar TripFrom the first step of preparing your trip to Myanmar to the time you are travelling inside this beautiful country, there happens some stages that your preparation may go wrong.To assist you with better preparation, Myanmar Tours Asia would [...]D: 1.6mi00
- Best visiting attractions in MyanmarYangon is the former capital of Myanmar which boasts a distintive beauty with pagoda, river, old colonial buildings and scenic lakes. To enjoy totally Yangon, you should spend from 2 days to 4 days visitig the major sites and the [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Shwedagon PagodaAccording to the legend, the pagoda is 2500 years old. But archaeologists say the it was built btw. the 6th and 10th century AD. Whatever the truth is, the Pagoda is wonderful. There are four entrances, the Southern one is guarded by [...]D: 1.6mi00
Things about Yangon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The building s the mortuary temple of the first known female pharaoh, Hatshepsut, who reigned in the 15th century BC. She was one of the most...
History & Culture: Hatshepsut Temple
This castle has a very long and even more interesting history. It was built by King Alfonso XI in 1328 not fat from the old Moorish fortress having...
History & Culture: Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos
We are ground handling agent handling hotels car rental guides/Escort arrival /Departute assistance in Agra india E-mail...
General: Taj mahal
Get special offers & discounts on online hotel bookings at Elegant Holidays & Tours, We provide bookings on all luxury hotels in India & across the...
General: Luxury Hotels in India
When I arrived in Milano I visited Castello Sforzesco but I didn't had enought time to visit 'Il Domo di Milano' and that's a thing that I regret,...
History & Culture: Castello Sforzesco, Milan
The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk are world heritage sites since 1997.This wonderful group of buildings is a reminder of the more than 10,000...
General: The 19 windmills of Kinderdijk
El Paso, Texas
I would say this restaurant is one of the best in whole El Paso. The Crave Kitchen and Bar has not only great service but excellent food too. If I...
Food: Crave Kitchen and Bar
La Jolla, California
Westfield Shoppingtown UTC with its fantastically beautiful promenade operates more than 160 selected stores. There are, for example, Abercrombie &...
Shopping: Westfield hoppingtown UTC
Rochester, New York
Put dryer sheets in your luggage to keep it fresh and maouse free!!
General: Dryer sheets
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Vietnam, a south-east Asian country with great location and heart beaten tourist attraction that is hard to miss. Vietnam is known for lots of...
General: Luxury vacation in Vietnam's Nha Trang