Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon, Myanmar
Travel tips > Asia > Myanmar > Yangon > Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon
- General travel tip
- City center
Yangon in the late afternoon is mostly free from cars and motorbikes, with only buses and three-wheel taxis making their journey through the burning hot streets. The sidewalks bustle with souvenir shops, clothing store, bookshops and home appliance shops and vendors selling betel and tobacco to locals.
Sightseeing in Yangon
The first stop of is at the most famous Pagoda in town, there are a lot of tourist visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda. The grandiose Pagoda boasts a 325 ft zedi, adorned with 27 metric tons of gold leaf and thousands of diamonds and other precious gems. It is believed to enshrine eight hairs of the Gautama Buddha.
Legend has it that a stupa has existed on Singuttara Hill for 2600 years, ever since two merchant brothers, Tapussa and Ballika, met the Buddha, He gave them eight of his hair to take back to Myanmar, a land ruled over by king Okkalapa which enshrined the hairs in a temple of gold. This temple then was enclosed within a temple of silver, then one of tin, then copper, then lead, then marble and finally, one of Plain iron-brick. Archaeological finding suggest that the original stupa was built by the Mon people sometime between the 6th and 10th centuries.
The following day we set off early to Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock Pagoda. Located in the small town of Kyaiktiyo in the Mon state, the Pagoda lies 160km from Yangon. Standing 1100 KM above sea level, a steep road requiring a 4-wheel drive winds up to the base, most Myanmar tour packages are designed to travel the remaining4.5 km to the top by foot. For the elderly and infirm, a special service of palanquin bearers will take them up to the peak. This Pagoda is a spectacular sight. Resting on the edge of the cliff is a huge golden boulder and a small stupa five and half meters high is perched on top. The entire marvel of Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, or Golden rock, is 24.4 meters high.
From some vantage points it looks as if the rick will fall at any moment. According to legend, a single hair of the Buddha holds this great gilded boulder in place.
En-route back to Yangon, visit Bago city. Lying around 80km north of Yangon, this was the ancient capital of Mon kingdom during the 13 century, Bago, today is the capital of Bago division, for tourists wishing to have a glimpse of Myanmar’s traditional life, Bago is an ideal place to visit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Yangon
- Top beaches in Myanmar for a perfect holidayTop Islands to spend a quality Myanmar luxury holiday Kyun Phi Lar known as Pilar by Burmese and is a very beautiful island located in the center of Mergui Archipelago. This white and long sandy beaches island is an ideal place to spend [...]D: n/a00
- Shwedagon PagodaAccording to the legend, the pagoda is 2500 years old. But archaeologists say the it was built btw. the 6th and 10th century AD. Whatever the truth is, the Pagoda is wonderful. There are four entrances, the Southern one is guarded by [...]D: 1.6mi00
- Myanmar tours with river cruise holidayIf your plan a unique and a bit different holiday in South-East of Asia then look no further as Myanmar is your choice for this year, the stunning temples, charming beauty and welcoming people with naïve life style is what Myanmar is all [...]D: n/a00
- Best visiting attractions in MyanmarYangon is the former capital of Myanmar which boasts a distintive beauty with pagoda, river, old colonial buildings and scenic lakes. To enjoy totally Yangon, you should spend from 2 days to 4 days visitig the major sites and the [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Thing you should know when plan your Myanmar TripFrom the first step of preparing your trip to Myanmar to the time you are travelling inside this beautiful country, there happens some stages that your preparation may go wrong.To assist you with better preparation, Myanmar Tours Asia would [...]D: 1.6mi00
Things about Yangon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you do something like island hoping or if you just make a stop during your travel to Crete at Santorini, you have got to climb up the hills and...
General: Insland of Santorini/Thira
Pookode Lake is a scenic freshwater lake in the Wayanad district in Kerala, South India. The lake is surrounded by forests, and boating is allowed....
Sightseeing: Pookode lake
In this area, called 'cinque terre', you can take wounderful walks in the nature. You can start in the coastal town Levanto and wander to for exte...
General: Cinque terre
Antony is the best place to eat in all Ostuni. It's run by the owner family and they really make you feel yourself at home all the time. Prices are...
If you like nature, horses and culture, you should try a ride with the Paso Peruano horses. You can enjoy the nature and the spirited horeses,...
Outdoors Activities: Paso Peruano
Quezon City, Philippines
La Loma in Quezon City is, they say, the oldest cockpit in the country. It is the place of the typical centuries-old sport on the Philippines, the...
Night Life & Entertainment: The La Loma Cockpit
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
Bakersfield has some entertaining venues on its sleeves and the very best of them all is - I think - Trout's Blackboard, which is a dance hall,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Trout's Blackboard
Born in a mountain area, the sea and its inhabitants always has been fascinating to me. So every time I visit a city I try to get in an Aquarium if...
Family & Fun: Baltimore National Aquarium
Nice place in th winter, if you want to go skiing, without paying so much money like at Ischgl.
Outdoors Activities: Skiing in Schruns