Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon, Myanmar
Travel tips > Asia > Myanmar > Yangon > Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon
- General travel tip
- City center
Yangon in the late afternoon is mostly free from cars and motorbikes, with only buses and three-wheel taxis making their journey through the burning hot streets. The sidewalks bustle with souvenir shops, clothing store, bookshops and home appliance shops and vendors selling betel and tobacco to locals.
Sightseeing in Yangon
The first stop of is at the most famous Pagoda in town, there are a lot of tourist visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda. The grandiose Pagoda boasts a 325 ft zedi, adorned with 27 metric tons of gold leaf and thousands of diamonds and other precious gems. It is believed to enshrine eight hairs of the Gautama Buddha.
Legend has it that a stupa has existed on Singuttara Hill for 2600 years, ever since two merchant brothers, Tapussa and Ballika, met the Buddha, He gave them eight of his hair to take back to Myanmar, a land ruled over by king Okkalapa which enshrined the hairs in a temple of gold. This temple then was enclosed within a temple of silver, then one of tin, then copper, then lead, then marble and finally, one of Plain iron-brick. Archaeological finding suggest that the original stupa was built by the Mon people sometime between the 6th and 10th centuries.
The following day we set off early to Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock Pagoda. Located in the small town of Kyaiktiyo in the Mon state, the Pagoda lies 160km from Yangon. Standing 1100 KM above sea level, a steep road requiring a 4-wheel drive winds up to the base, most Myanmar tour packages are designed to travel the remaining4.5 km to the top by foot. For the elderly and infirm, a special service of palanquin bearers will take them up to the peak. This Pagoda is a spectacular sight. Resting on the edge of the cliff is a huge golden boulder and a small stupa five and half meters high is perched on top. The entire marvel of Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, or Golden rock, is 24.4 meters high.
From some vantage points it looks as if the rick will fall at any moment. According to legend, a single hair of the Buddha holds this great gilded boulder in place.
En-route back to Yangon, visit Bago city. Lying around 80km north of Yangon, this was the ancient capital of Mon kingdom during the 13 century, Bago, today is the capital of Bago division, for tourists wishing to have a glimpse of Myanmar’s traditional life, Bago is an ideal place to visit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Yangon
- Top beaches in Myanmar for a perfect holidayTop Islands to spend a quality Myanmar luxury holiday Kyun Phi Lar known as Pilar by Burmese and is a very beautiful island located in the center of Mergui Archipelago. This white and long sandy beaches island is an ideal place to spend [...]D: n/a00
- Myanmar tours with river cruise holidayIf your plan a unique and a bit different holiday in South-East of Asia then look no further as Myanmar is your choice for this year, the stunning temples, charming beauty and welcoming people with naïve life style is what Myanmar is all [...]D: n/a00
- Shwedagon PagodaAccording to the legend, the pagoda is 2500 years old. But archaeologists say the it was built btw. the 6th and 10th century AD. Whatever the truth is, the Pagoda is wonderful. There are four entrances, the Southern one is guarded by [...]D: 1.6mi00
- Thing you should know when plan your Myanmar TripFrom the first step of preparing your trip to Myanmar to the time you are travelling inside this beautiful country, there happens some stages that your preparation may go wrong.To assist you with better preparation, Myanmar Tours Asia would [...]D: 1.6mi00
- Best visiting attractions in MyanmarYangon is the former capital of Myanmar which boasts a distintive beauty with pagoda, river, old colonial buildings and scenic lakes. To enjoy totally Yangon, you should spend from 2 days to 4 days visitig the major sites and the [...]D: 0.7mi00
Things about Yangon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
While in Friedrichshafen, don't miss out on visiting the Promenade. It's basically the street that's right by the Lake Constance. There are a ton...
Sightseeing: Friedrichshafen Promenade
In Ulm there is a big shop for furniture called 'IKEA'. You can find there basically everything you would need. If you know IKEA, especially if...
General: IKEA - shop for furniture
If you want to feel party, go to Alicante during the time of the 'Hogueras de San Juan' at the 24th of june. A lot of exceptional sculptures are...
General: There you should go!
Oxford, United Kingdom
Sightseeing buses may seem as a waste of time and money, but in the case of towns like Oxford I would say that they are the perfect choice. Oxford...
History & Culture: Sightseeing in Oxford with the bus
Mali Ston, Croatia
The second longest wall still standing in Europe (about 5 km and 3 miles long) after Hadrian's Wall between Scotland and England. The wall goes...
Sightseeing: Ston Wall
If you like swimming or just sun-bathing on the beach, go and spend a few days at the Balaton. If you like to party all night long with great DJs...
General: The Balaton lake and Siofok
It was a trip to the Entertainment Capital of the World; excitement was at its heights. It was not a bachelor party, neither a hush-hush...
Family & Fun: Reveling at Vegas – Getting Attracted to Distractions
Johor Baharu, Malaysia
This Restaurant Nilla is a very famous among the locals and even among tourists as this restaurant is known for its banana-lead food. Many regard...
Food: Restaurant Nilla
Buffalo, New York
You get transported back in time during the tour of the Wilcox Mansion, the place where Theodore Roosevelt's short and improvised inauguration...
Sightseeing: Wilcox Mansion
Zuma Beach is just great. Though, you have to get there early if you want to get a parking place, traffic is killing sometimes. Zuma by the way...
Beaches : Zuma Beach