Saigon Notre Dame Basilica, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Ho Chi Minh City > Saigon Notre Dame Basilica
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral was built by the French colonists between 1863 and 1880. The name Notre-Dame Cathedral was given after Bishop Pham Van Thien held a ceremony to install the statue of Peaceful Notre Dame, made with granite from Rome, in 1959. In 1962, Vatican anointed it as Saigon Chief Cathedral conferred it basilique. Since this time, this cathedral is called Saigon Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica.
What to see for Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral
The design of the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral has a great influence from French civilization. At the time of construction this Basilica was the most beautiful cathedral ever built in the all French colonies. All the materials such as the red bricks for the facade was imported from France, by the way the two bell towers each with the height of 61 m and 6 bronze bells have just been added in 1895.
How to get to Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral?
No need to be worry about how to find the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, if you dont know where to go just show it to the xe om( motor bike taxi) or ask a loca and they definitely point you the direction.
08;00 to 17;00
How to get there:
Taxi, motor bike taxi, and Cyclo
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Ho Chi Minh City
- Oil Paintings in Ho Chi Minh CityIf you are interested to buy beautiful oil-paintings as souvenirs to take back home then a great place to visit would be along the backpacker’s area in De Tham and Pham Ngu Lao streets, in District 1. This place has beautiful hand [...]D: 0.7mi00
- What women must experience in SaigonIf you are already living in Ho Chi Minh City, or traveling to Vietnam for the audacious woman traveler, this city holds many finds and experience you will not find anywhere else in Asia, however, Vietnam itself cherish you with all sort of [...]D: n/a00
- Sightseeing Ho Chi Minh on motorbikeMotorbikes are the most common type of vehicle that you will be able to see on the roads of Ho Chi Minh City. There will be many motorcyclists on the roads and you would most certainly be approached by some of them to ask if you are [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Vietnam Highlight Tour 12DaysVietnam Highlight Tour 12Days Highlights Ho Chi Minh City: City tour including entry to the War Remnants Museum & Cu Chi Tunnels. Mekong Delta: Take an excursion to Mekong Delta, with a boat trip on the Mekong River to visit Cat Be [...]D: 5.7mi00
- Cu Chi – Mekong Delta Combined (Full Day Trip)Cu Chi – Mekong Delta Combined (Full Day Trip) [...]D: 4.4mi00
Things about Ho Chi Minh City you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
I guess whoever has not yet seen any real tides you should go to the North Sea located North of Germany. I visited the small island Foehr last week...
Outdoors Activities: Walking on the Wattenmeer
If you happen to be tired of Italian cuisine (which I cannot imagine), chose Casa dei Ciliegi, they have great - let's say - international cuisine....
Food: Casa dei Ciliegi
Las Pinas, Philippines
MARBLES resto bar, billiards and ktv located along Alabang Zapote road has been one of Las Pinas' pioneer gimmick spots with its 11 pool tables,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar, Billiards,KTV and Live Bands
If you want to see one of the oldest churches of cristianity, then you should visit the church of the holy Petrus at Antakya. This place is about...
History & Culture: Petrus Grotto at Antakya
Being more than just a zoo with animals like roadrunners, desert cottontail, vultures, reptiles and many other birds, the California Living Museum...
Family & Fun: California Living Museum
Buena Park, California
This is the Halloween event of the well known theme park, Knott's Berry Farm. You should really see it. It offers everything you would expect...
Family & Fun: Great Halloween Program at Knott's Scary Farm
At the east side of the city, a small hill with a lot of entertaining venues, Mount Adams is a must. Full of architecturally interesting and...
Sightseeing: Mount Adams
Zuma Beach is just great. Though, you have to get there early if you want to get a parking place, traffic is killing sometimes. Zuma by the way...
Beaches : Zuma Beach
Ike's Food and Cocktails is a nice, all-American restaurant with a twist. The place looks like something straight out of a 40's movie, with long,...
Food: Ike's Food and Cocktails
Take a walk on the main street of Zakopane in the winter - it's just simple beautiful! Everything is covered with snow, there are a lot of street...
Sightseeing: Visit it on the winter