El Capitolio in Havana, Cuba
Travel tips > Caribbean > Cuba > Havana > El Capitolio in Havana
- General travel tip
- City center
An interesting thing about the building is that inside the main hall, embedded in the floor is a replica of a 24/25-karat diamond. What makes this stone such a valuable piece is that every road that drives out of Havana is measured in distance from this diamond. Pretty amazing! :)
From the entryway you get to the Salon de los Pasos Perdidos ( which means Room of the Lost Steps) which got its name from the room's unusual acoustics. In the middle of the 'salon' stands a 17m tall bronze statue of a Roman Goddess, covered with golden leaves, representing the Statue of the Republic. You shouldn't miss visiting this amazing building!
Prado, Havana, Cuba
Admission fee is around $3
Between 09:00am and 08:00pm
Recent travel tips for Havana
- La Guarida Restaurant in HavanaWe saw the La Guarida restaurant featuring in the Oscar nominated movie “Strawberry and Chocolate” and when we visited Havana, we had to go there and see it for ourselves. The restaurant is located on the third of a building which [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Ernest Hemingway Museum in HavanaTo see how one of America's greatest writer lived and worked, you should definitely visit his house which was turned into a museum. The Ernest Hemingway Museum looks pretty much the same as int the time Hemingway lived there. Full of [...]D: 6.1mi00
- The Old Havana (Habana Vieja)As a legendary city, founded in 1519, the Old Havana is a glorious place to see if you travel to Cuba. The city's architecture is full of various styles of colonial, art-deco and eclectic and thus provides an amazing insight into it's [...]D: n/a00
- Plaza de la Revolucion in HavanaOne of the world's largest squares, the Plaza de la Revolucion is not so grand at first sight, being an enormous concrete place with no shade at all. On second glance we notice the notable buildings surrounding the square, such as the Jose [...]D: 1.9mi00
- El Malecon Beach in HavanaVisiting Havana is not worth without strolling along the 7km long beach that so much part of Havana. Here you can experience the everyday life of common people, watch families with their children, playing in the sands, or lovers strolling [...]D: n/a00
Things about Havana you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
This is Heaven from time immemorial. Welcome to Hangzhou China.
History & Culture: Living in Hangzhou China
However, if you can, avoid Frankfurt and go to Munich. :)
General: Avoid it and go to Munich
The Angio d'Or, ot Golden Angel is a very nice little place with acceptable prices. The atmosphere is very intimate and I was told that the...
Food: Angiol d'Or
You should really take yourself time for at least one day or better a whole weekend.
General: Visiting the ancient roman city
Johor Baharu, Malaysia
This restaurant is a great place to try the various local cusines and dishes of Malaysia. A tip here is if you are interested to try the local...
Food: Restoran Mustika Zamzam
Ghorepani Trek is a wonderful opportunity to witness the beauty of the Annapurna region with a shorter trek. The trip starts just north of the city...
Family & Fun: Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek (Nepal Annapurna Area)
The inner city of Sighisoara (Schassburg in German and Segesvar in Hungarian)is wonderful. The city has all the traits of the Saxon architecture as...
History & Culture: The Inner City
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
We explored and experienced the real wild side of Florida when we booked a tour for the Everglades in the Sawgrass Park. The private tour included...
Outdoors Activities: Sawgrass Recreation Park in Fort Lauderdale
Las Vegas, Nevada
Flying across Las Vegas at night is something everybody should experience. It's not cheap, but reasonably priced. We did a night flight called...
General: Helicopter Tour
Santa Barbara, California
Great thing to check out while in Santa Barbara would be the beaches. Every beach is wonderful but I really recommend Butterfly Beach. Stunningly...
Outdoors Activities: Things to do in Santa Barbara