Museum of Asian Art, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Museum of Asian Art
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The museum has more than 17, 000 objects, from religious statues, objects for rituals and so on. More than 2,500 of the objects are displayed on the second and third floor of the building, the exhibitions are divided into seven sections according to the geographical area they present. There is China, Korea, Japan, Himalayan and Tibetan Buddhist World, Southeast Asia, South Asia ans Persian World sections.
You can see and photograph here the world's oldest Chinese Buddha statue, from 338 AD. It is made of gilded bronze and it's very beautiful. Also, there are things like the demonstration of a Chinese or Japanese tea ceremony, really great.
It is allowed to make photos, with small cameras, so you can take some amazing pictures.
200 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA
Students and children $7
Closed on Monday.
From Tuesday to Sunday 10am to 5pm, except for Thursday, when it's 10am to 9pm.
How to get there:
With streetcar, get down at the Civic Center station.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- San Francisco Marriot Fisherman' s Wharf HotelBecause this hotel is near the piers and the Golden Gate Bridge (one of the famous sights in San Francisco), the price is a little expensive. I picked the regular room with pleasure purpose, and it cost $169 per night. It is pretty [...]D: 11.1mi02
- Adolph Gasser CameraGreat place for emergencies, if you are a tourist. They have all kinds of cameras and all you need for them. Best thing, you can also rent cameras from them and they have cleaning services for your actual camera and stuff. Very useful [...]D: 9.8mi00
- Sutro BathsSutro Baths is at the north west corner of the city next to the Cliff House. The baths, which are now ruins, was a popular swimming pool that opened in the 1800's which burned down in the 1960's. What is left is a beautiful building [...]D: 10.8mi00
- California Wine MerchantI recommend to sit by the window, the view to Chestnut street is very nice. California Wine Merchant is not a very special place, but it is cozy and pleasant for a drink with your friends. You will fine good wine and great service if [...]D: 10.9mi00
- De Young Museum in San FranciscoA truly amazing location to visit, the De Young Museum led me to a path of illogical, free thinking. Full of impressionist artworks such as painting, sculptures and other interesting works of contemporary American, African and [...]D: 9.4mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Prague, Czech Republic
There are quite many old churches in Prague, but Bethlehem Chapel is unique among them. This is the chapel where, in the early 15th century Jan Hus...
History & Culture: Bethlehem Chapel
Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
(_) (_) /_ _______/
Outdoors Activities: Rostyslav
If you are looking for good cooking ingredients or for a fine whiskey or Liqueurs , you should go to the shop 'Vom Fass'. There you get fine olive...
Food: Fine whiskey, Liqueurs and vinegar & oils
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Pedro Sánchez (On the way to Miches): If you are headed to Miches in the Dominican Republic, take time to stop off in Pedro Sanchez, a rural...
Outdoors Activities: Pedro Sanchez
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
Choose your favorite holiday destination across the world and book your tour with us as we offer very exciting deals on all holiday or travel...
General: Cheap Holiday Packages
It's Italian name is Battisero Paleocristiano and it is a early Christian Baptistery from the 4th century. Archaeologists say that most probably...
History & Culture: Milan Baptistery
Monforte D'alba, Italy
Some parts of the estate are as old as 1600, it is really a nice place, you can see how an Italian estate looked like hundred years ago. The...
Food: Azienda agricola Fantino Alessandro e Gian Natale
Kids love zoos so it was understandable that we would visit the zoo in Cleveland too. We had a great time. Though reasonably big, you get a pretty...
Family & Fun: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
If you are into aviation or just flying, than the Prima Air and Space Museum is your heaven on earth. They have more than 300 airplanes on display,...
History & Culture: Pima Air and Space Museum