Museum of Asian Art, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Museum of Asian Art
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The museum has more than 17, 000 objects, from religious statues, objects for rituals and so on. More than 2,500 of the objects are displayed on the second and third floor of the building, the exhibitions are divided into seven sections according to the geographical area they present. There is China, Korea, Japan, Himalayan and Tibetan Buddhist World, Southeast Asia, South Asia ans Persian World sections.
You can see and photograph here the world's oldest Chinese Buddha statue, from 338 AD. It is made of gilded bronze and it's very beautiful. Also, there are things like the demonstration of a Chinese or Japanese tea ceremony, really great.
It is allowed to make photos, with small cameras, so you can take some amazing pictures.
200 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA
Students and children $7
Closed on Monday.
From Tuesday to Sunday 10am to 5pm, except for Thursday, when it's 10am to 9pm.
How to get there:
With streetcar, get down at the Civic Center station.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- Alcatraz IslandProbably one of the most famous jails in the world and home to many myths and movies, this used to be a high security federal prison in 1934. Originally the Island was home to many pelicans and for that reason it was called "Isla de los [...]D: 11mi10
- BixLike Art Deco? Definitely this is the place for you. It's like you are back in the America of the 1930s. There is live Jazz music that remind us to the great old days. The decoration is very nice and stylish, there are paintings on the [...]D: 10.5mi00
- Stow LakeHidden within Golden Gate Park is a lake and a mountainous island. Stow Lake which has deep San Francisco history is a great spot for a picnic or an afternoon stroll. The lake offers quiet scenery and abundant wildlife. The [...]D: 9.5mi00
- DeLessioThe most delicious cake I've ever tasted was here in San Francisco in a little pastry shop on Market Street: DeLessio. At first I didn't even find the bakery, it so hidden, but already as I stepped in I was overwhelmed with the sweet, fresh [...]D: 8.8mi00
- Balmy Street MuralsLocated in the heart of the latino district of San Francisco is a little gem of a street where the houses are painted with latin-american centric murals. These murals, which are painted on the garages, each have some sort of meaning and [...]D: 7.4mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
This is Heaven from time immemorial. Welcome to Hangzhou China.
History & Culture: Living in Hangzhou China
It´s an open air museum from stone age and bronze age times (4.000 to 850 BC). You can see there a lot of historic and authentic reconstructed...
History & Culture: Museum of neolithic settlement
Who doesnt know these little plastic stones and who didnt play with Lego? I think nobody. If you are on your vacation with your family in Denmark...
Family & Fun: Legoland
There is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy...
Sightseeing: Icon workshop in Kalambaka
Visit the local fortress, reinforced under the venetians and still preserved in a good way.
For anyone on this site that is interested in coming to Jamaica for vacation I would first suggest that you not spend the ridiculous amount for...
General: Paradise Jamaica
This is the main sight to visit in Casablanca, it is the biggest mosque in Morocco and the 5th largest in the world. You can see the mosque from...
Sightseeing: Hassan II Mosque
Lilla Torg is Malmo's nicest square. It is part of the old downtown and there are a lot of great pubs and restaurants there. All the buildings...
Night Life & Entertainment: Lilla Torg
Port-of-spain, Trinidad And Tobago
Woodford Square is one of the nicest place to visit it.
General: Woodford Square
Nice place in th winter, if you want to go skiing, without paying so much money like at Ischgl.
Outdoors Activities: Skiing in Schruns