Museum of Asian Art, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Museum of Asian Art
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The museum has more than 17, 000 objects, from religious statues, objects for rituals and so on. More than 2,500 of the objects are displayed on the second and third floor of the building, the exhibitions are divided into seven sections according to the geographical area they present. There is China, Korea, Japan, Himalayan and Tibetan Buddhist World, Southeast Asia, South Asia ans Persian World sections.
You can see and photograph here the world's oldest Chinese Buddha statue, from 338 AD. It is made of gilded bronze and it's very beautiful. Also, there are things like the demonstration of a Chinese or Japanese tea ceremony, really great.
It is allowed to make photos, with small cameras, so you can take some amazing pictures.
200 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA
Students and children $7
Closed on Monday.
From Tuesday to Sunday 10am to 5pm, except for Thursday, when it's 10am to 9pm.
How to get there:
With streetcar, get down at the Civic Center station.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- DeLessioThe most delicious cake I've ever tasted was here in San Francisco in a little pastry shop on Market Street: DeLessio. At first I didn't even find the bakery, it so hidden, but already as I stepped in I was overwhelmed with the sweet, fresh [...]D: 8.8mi00
- Lands EndLands End is a true San Francisco Gem. One of the beautiful trails hidden within the city. Follow this trail to the end, and take in spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Pacific Ocean. View the bridge from where only the [...]D: 11mi00
- Sutro BathsSutro Baths is at the north west corner of the city next to the Cliff House. The baths, which are now ruins, was a popular swimming pool that opened in the 1800's which burned down in the 1960's. What is left is a beautiful building [...]D: 10.8mi00
- Cafe Du SoleilThe best thing is that you can sit on the terrace and enjoy both the sun and one of the best places for a breakfast. They have good coffee and delicious cakes. You can stay on the sun and have your breakfast and also have a break from [...]D: 8.8mi00
- Anchor Steam BrewerySan Francisco's one and only Brewery offers two free tours and tasting daily. With history dating back to the late 1800's Anchor Brewery is one of San Francisco's least known landmarks. They offer great tours which fill up weeks if not [...]D: 8.3mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Beijing Shi, China
[url=http://www.beijinglandscapes.com/huangshan-tour.html]Huangshan Tour [/url] [url=http://www.badaling-great-wall.com]Badaling Great Wall[/url]
General: Huangshan Tour
Shaolin means 'young forest' and the temple city was found in around 500 AD. These are the most well known Buddhist churches in the world, mainly...
History & Culture: Shaolin Temples in Henan
Do you want to eat cheap in Bielefeld? Then visit the university's restaurant. A menu costs from 3-4,50 Euro. You should use the student's mansa,...
Food: Eating Cheap in Bielefeld
Palma De Mallorca, Spain
Do, by no means miss pork leg and lamb leg here. It is exceptional how they make it, they say this region is the only place where you can find it...
Food: Asador Tierra Aranda
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Ocho Rios ( www.ocho-rios-jamaica.com ) has some of the most diverse tourist attractions. You have Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Cove, Blue Hole (this...
General: Ocho Rios Attractions
Essaouria is a beach town in south east morocco. Every city in Morocco has a Medina, which means old town. The entire medina is surrounded by a...
Sightseeing: Gates of Essaouira
The infamous Tannery is the location where all leather is made in Morocco. There are Tanneries in many cities but the Fes Tannery is famous and you...
Lilla Torg is Malmo's nicest square. It is part of the old downtown and there are a lot of great pubs and restaurants there. All the buildings...
Night Life & Entertainment: Lilla Torg
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Andersen Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum is one of the interesting museum's that traces the history of something that you...
History & Culture: International Balloon Museum
Built on the image of the Washington Capitol, this imposing marble building is home to the senate and a public museum. Free tours are provided...
History & Culture: California State Capitol Museum