Belem, Lisbon, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Lisbon > Belem
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan, Bartolomeo Diaz or vasco da Gama.
The style of the building is very interesting, it looks like a bastion on the seacoast but is very decorated. There are Moorish elements, arched windows and balconies, the statue of a rhinoceros, motives like a spherical astrolabe and the sign of the Order of Christ.
Did I mention that the statues of the 30 persons celebrated here are carved marching up on the stairs of the tower? It looks very nice.
Avenida da India, Belem
Recent travel tips for Lisbon
- Eduardo VII Park in LisbonIn 1903 the British monarch, Edward VII visited Lisbon, on a reassurance of the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, and after his visit, the park (originally called Liberty Park) has been renamed after the monarch. The place comprises at least 26 [...]D: 0.2mi00
- The Feira da Ladra in LisbonThis flea market in Alfama the historic, old part of Lisbon, has a history dating back to the 13th century. To those who like bargaining and collecting some nice Portuguese 'treasures' than the feira da ladra is the perfect place. [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Casa do Alentejo in LisbonNo one would say that this shabby, old building is actually a small palace and hides a beautiful, rich interior with decorations, and furniture showing the luxury of the aristocratic life in the past centuries. When we went to the San [...]D: 0.6mi00
- The Belem TowerD: 3.1mi00
- Fatima near LisbonThough it is a bit far from the city (about 88 miles to the North), it is a place which is worth a visit, even if you're not a pilgrim or a devoted Christian. Fatima is the worshiping place of the Virgin Mary, where millions of [...]D: n/a00
Things about Lisbon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Day 01: Leave Dhaka by domestic flight for Jessore in the morning. On arrival at Jessore Airport our representative will receive and transfer you...
Sightseeing: World largest Mangrove Forest Sundarbans Forest Trips
The best way to visit Bruges is ... on foot. Of course, I recommend also to take a boat through the superb canals, but rather than that only on...
General: The best way to visit Brugges
If you are at Sion, you should try to visit the ancient roman building remnants, that are mainly covered by private buildings. You should also go...
Sightseeing: Roman building remnants
The Kilkenny Castle was built in the 12th century. It is definitely a must see, if you are in the area. It was renovated in the 19th century and...
History & Culture: Kilkenny Castle
Monforte D'alba, Italy
Some parts of the estate are as old as 1600, it is really a nice place, you can see how an Italian estate looked like hundred years ago. The...
Food: Azienda agricola Fantino Alessandro e Gian Natale
Many travelers combine Indochina destinations to have a great mixture of culture, relaxation, beauty and uniqueness altogether in one region....
General: Visit Golden Pagodas around Yangon
Atlantic City, New Jersey
One of the most famous casinos of Atlantic City, the Trump Taj Mahal, named both after the multi-millionaire Donald Trump and the famous Taj Mahal...
Night Life & Entertainment: Trump Taj Mahal Casino
Fort Collins, Colorado
Really good coffee: Moxie Java on Harmony. Not the best location, but great flavor and friendly baristas.
Food: My favorite coffee
Santa Cruz, California
The Mystery Spot is probably one of the weirdest man-made places you can see anywhere on earth. If you've seen any of those surrealist paintings of...
Sightseeing: The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Though not looking much from the outside, don't get deterred by that, because once you get inside and taste their food you will forget where you...
Food: Zest in Virginia Beach