Belem, Lisbon, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Lisbon > Belem
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan, Bartolomeo Diaz or vasco da Gama.
The style of the building is very interesting, it looks like a bastion on the seacoast but is very decorated. There are Moorish elements, arched windows and balconies, the statue of a rhinoceros, motives like a spherical astrolabe and the sign of the Order of Christ.
Did I mention that the statues of the 30 persons celebrated here are carved marching up on the stairs of the tower? It looks very nice.
Avenida da India, Belem
Recent travel tips for Lisbon
- The Feira da Ladra in LisbonThis flea market in Alfama the historic, old part of Lisbon, has a history dating back to the 13th century. To those who like bargaining and collecting some nice Portuguese 'treasures' than the feira da ladra is the perfect place. [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Sintra Moorish CastleSintra is located a few miles to the west from Lisbon. It is a beautiful place with a rich history. The most notable aspect of the small village is its castle, high up the mountain, built by the Moors after the 8th century. Sintra also [...]D: 13.9mi00
- Clube de Fado Restaurant in LisbonThis Fado restaurant is typically Portuguese in every aspect: its architecture, its atmosphere, its food, everything. From the first moment we stepped inside the restaurant we felt as if we'd went into a local pub or something. Live [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Casa do Alentejo in LisbonNo one would say that this shabby, old building is actually a small palace and hides a beautiful, rich interior with decorations, and furniture showing the luxury of the aristocratic life in the past centuries. When we went to the San [...]D: 0.6mi00
- The Monastery of St. JeromeThe monastery, that has been built 500 years ago, is one of the most amazing sights in Portugal. Its unique architecture, its white 'clean' stone exterior and beautiful interior, not to mention that the famous Portuguese explorer is [...]D: 3.5mi00
Things about Lisbon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Do you want to eat cheap in Bielefeld? Then visit the university's restaurant. A menu costs from 3-4,50 Euro. You should use the student's mansa,...
Food: Eating Cheap in Bielefeld
The Mehlsack tower is the symbol of Ravensburg. It's a 50m tall tower that was apparently built by the people of Ravensburg so that they could...
This castle has a very long and even more interesting history. It was built by King Alfonso XI in 1328 not fat from the old Moorish fortress having...
History & Culture: Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos
Verne was born in Nantes and the Museum was opened for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his birth. It's a great place for everyone who...
History & Culture: Jules Verne Museum
If you are at Heraklion, visit the archaeoligical museum. There you can see famous findings, also the bull´s head called Monitaurus and the Snakes...
History & Culture: Archaeological museum of Iraklio
They have great Italian food and good jazz all the time. They have a TV and you can freely read newspapers and magazines. Altogether it's a rather...
Night Life & Entertainment: Caffè Megara
Saint Petersburg, Russia
The Russian Museum is a must see when you're visiting Saint Petersburg. They have a huge collection of art, mainly paintings and sculptures, by...
History & Culture: Russian Museum
History, culture, religion, battles and people; this is what Fort Caroline National Memorial is all about. In the heart of the Timucuan Preserve,...
History & Culture: Fort Caroline National Memorial
Las Vegas, Nevada
Binion's Horseshoe is one of the classics in Vegas. This Casino is located in the old city center. It's a fun place and you get a little bit of the...
Night Life & Entertainment: Binion's Horseshoe
Sacramento's finest restaurant which leaves with a longing to return, The Kitchen conquered not only the locals but its visiting customers too....
Food: The Kitchen