Belem, Lisbon, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Lisbon > Belem
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan, Bartolomeo Diaz or vasco da Gama.
The style of the building is very interesting, it looks like a bastion on the seacoast but is very decorated. There are Moorish elements, arched windows and balconies, the statue of a rhinoceros, motives like a spherical astrolabe and the sign of the Order of Christ.
Did I mention that the statues of the 30 persons celebrated here are carved marching up on the stairs of the tower? It looks very nice.
Avenida da India, Belem
Recent travel tips for Lisbon
- Eduardo VII Park in LisbonIn 1903 the British monarch, Edward VII visited Lisbon, on a reassurance of the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, and after his visit, the park (originally called Liberty Park) has been renamed after the monarch. The place comprises at least 26 [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Lotus chalets, Canal road, Migahajandura, Sooriyawewa,...Surroundings The eco-resort is surrounded by the following attractive places. While you are staying in the resort you can easily visit these places. Udawalawa National Park - 30 minutes drive Udawalawa Elephant Orphanage - 30 minutes [...]D: 5953.7mi20
- The Alfama in LisbonThis part of the city is special in many ways. First, it is one the most oldest parts of Lisbon, being first inhabited by Visigoths in the 5th century then turned into an upper-class area by the Moors later on. However, many earthquakes [...]D: n/a00
- Fatima near LisbonThough it is a bit far from the city (about 88 miles to the North), it is a place which is worth a visit, even if you're not a pilgrim or a devoted Christian. Fatima is the worshiping place of the Virgin Mary, where millions of [...]D: n/a00
- The Feira da Ladra in LisbonThis flea market in Alfama the historic, old part of Lisbon, has a history dating back to the 13th century. To those who like bargaining and collecting some nice Portuguese 'treasures' than the feira da ladra is the perfect place. [...]D: 1.5mi00
Things about Lisbon you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Shaolin means 'young forest' and the temple city was found in around 500 AD. These are the most well known Buddhist churches in the world, mainly...
History & Culture: Shaolin Temples in Henan
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
Most of you have seen this frog before, either on TV or in a zoo, but the best place to find them is in Tortugero, Costa Rica. This rain forest in...
Sightseeing: Red Eye Tree Frogs
Who doesnt know these little plastic stones and who didnt play with Lego? I think nobody. If you are on your vacation with your family in Denmark...
Family & Fun: Legoland
The building of the Step Pyramid of Djoser was a very important moment in the Egyptian Architecture for it was the first stone pyramid built in...
History & Culture: Pyramid of Djoser
In this area, called 'cinque terre', you can take wounderful walks in the nature. You can start in the coastal town Levanto and wander to for exte...
General: Cinque terre
When I've arrived in Torino I've visited 'il Palazzo Reale' .
General: Palazzo Reale, Turin
Keep local currency take loose clothes with you avoid skirts and mini skirts kinda dress
Food: Travel to pakistan
The Dining Room is one of the(if not the)top restaurants in Atlanta, and seeing as it is located within the Ritz Carlton, it's not exactly your...
Food: Dining Room in Atlanta
La Jolla, California
Westfield Shoppingtown UTC with its fantastically beautiful promenade operates more than 160 selected stores. There are, for example, Abercrombie &...
Shopping: Westfield hoppingtown UTC
For me this bookstore is Heaven on Earth!! I always loved to read while eating a snack or drink a cup of hot chocolate and to find a place that...
Shopping: Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe