The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- Tram 28 of LisbonTraveling with the local transportation of a city is always fun and gives you a feeling of being part of the city, like a local. That was the reason we hopped on the Tram 28 which goes up and down the narrow streets of Lisbon, giving a [...]D: n/a00
- Holiday Inn Lisbon ContinentalWe didn't spend much time in the hotel, we were roaming the streets all day long, exploring various areas, but while we DID spend time inside, everything was perfect. We were really pleased with the service provided. Our room was clean and [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Casa do Alentejo in LisbonNo one would say that this shabby, old building is actually a small palace and hides a beautiful, rich interior with decorations, and furniture showing the luxury of the aristocratic life in the past centuries. When we went to the San [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Trip to CascaisCascais is like a royal resort, full of different sights, and most notably, various, beautiful beaches. Though the ocean was a bit cold, we still had to dip in a bit, but it was good to lay under the sun a while, away from the bustling city [...]D: n/a00
- Sintra Moorish CastleSintra is located a few miles to the west from Lisbon. It is a beautiful place with a rich history. The most notable aspect of the small village is its castle, high up the mountain, built by the Moors after the 8th century. Sintra also [...]D: 13.9mi00
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
New Norfolk, Australia
Norfolk Island is the best place to live, to travel and to relax. It is a beautiful island with sandy beaches, high mountains covered with tall...
General: Heaven on earth
Great for a day trip starting from Dresden
History & Culture: Medieval Silver Mining Town
The Marienplatz is the center of the city and it's always nice to walk around, grab coffee or go shopping. There are lots of people on Saturdays...
Outdoors Activities: Marienplatz
If you want to spend a chilled night with good, cheap beer, you have to visit the 'Schinderhannes'. It´s a good atmosphere and you receive an good...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar with nice beer garden
Good nightlife there, because of the university. Visit one of the local student pubs.
Night Life & Entertainment: Nightlife in Wurzburg
The Klein Helgoland on the small island of Foehr is named after maybe one of Germany's smallest islands (Helgoland). The place is really cozy...
Food: Cakes at Cafe Klein Helgoland
Islands shouldn't be missed for a Croatian experience. Some information about Island Rab at http://www.rabholidays.com
General: Islands of the Adriatic sea
According to the legend, the pagoda is 2500 years old. But archaeologists say the it was built btw. the 6th and 10th century AD. Whatever the truth...
History & Culture: Shwedagon Pagoda
Kansas City, Missouri
Located at Liberty Memorial, the National World War I Museum is the only facility in the world that features exhibits and collection of artifacts...
History & Culture: National World War I Museum
Rochester, New York
Put dryer sheets in your luggage to keep it fresh and maouse free!!
General: Dryer sheets