The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- The Belem TowerD: 3.1mi00
- The Gulbenkian MuseumThis museum, though not a big one, hosts first-class exhibitions from various Eastern cultures, like Egypt, Mesopotamia, India even Japan and China, and some collections of French furniture and paintings among other interesting artifacts. [...]D: 1.1mi01
- Holiday Inn Lisbon ContinentalWe didn't spend much time in the hotel, we were roaming the streets all day long, exploring various areas, but while we DID spend time inside, everything was perfect. We were really pleased with the service provided. Our room was clean and [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Clube de Fado Restaurant in LisbonThis Fado restaurant is typically Portuguese in every aspect: its architecture, its atmosphere, its food, everything. From the first moment we stepped inside the restaurant we felt as if we'd went into a local pub or something. Live [...]D: 1.5mi00
- The Alfama in LisbonThis part of the city is special in many ways. First, it is one the most oldest parts of Lisbon, being first inhabited by Visigoths in the 5th century then turned into an upper-class area by the Moors later on. However, many earthquakes [...]D: n/a00
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are looking for a beach vacation, Cairns isnt the right place, because there´s no beach close to the city, neither you can walk there. But...
Outdoors Activities: No beach vacations
Located on the northern part of Lhasa is the residence of the Dalai Lama, the leader of the Buddhist religion. The Palace is also a World Heritage...
History & Culture: Potala Palace
The Museum der Westküste is a fantastic little museum that you would have never expected on a little island like Föhr. The relatively new...
History & Culture: Museum der Westüste
Hello to all, the Association organizes travel in Natura & Avventura desertakakus,Travel is the best way to discover desert. We are a small...
General: Natura & Avventura
Boulogne-sur-mer is connected with major european cities by train. From Lille it takes approximately 2 hours by train (Ter - Transport express...
General: From Lille to Boulogne-sur-mer
Seoul, South Korea
One of the national landmarks of the city, the Gyeongbokgung Palace is a very old building , home of the royal families of Korea. The whole palace...
History & Culture: Gyeongbokgung Palace
The Park of Rose is the most beautiful park from Timisoara, which was founded in 1891. There you can see very many different species of flowers.
Family & Fun: Roses park
Bangkok, Thailand is probably one of the most exotic and the hustling bustling capital cities in the world further than the Asia itself. Travelers...
Sightseeing: How to spend 24 hours in Bangkok, Thailand
Fort Collins, Colorado
Really good coffee: Moxie Java on Harmony. Not the best location, but great flavor and friendly baristas.
Food: My favorite coffee
Zuma Beach is just great. Though, you have to get there early if you want to get a parking place, traffic is killing sometimes. Zuma by the way...
Beaches : Zuma Beach