The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- Casa do Alentejo in LisbonNo one would say that this shabby, old building is actually a small palace and hides a beautiful, rich interior with decorations, and furniture showing the luxury of the aristocratic life in the past centuries. When we went to the San [...]D: 0.6mi00
- BelemThis bastion and tower are some kind of a symbol of the whole city. It is 50 m high and commemorates those Portuguese people who took part in the great discoveries throughout the history. It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the [...]D: 3.6mi00
- Sintra Moorish CastleSintra is located a few miles to the west from Lisbon. It is a beautiful place with a rich history. The most notable aspect of the small village is its castle, high up the mountain, built by the Moors after the 8th century. Sintra also [...]D: 13.9mi00
- Lotus chalets, Canal road, Migahajandura, Sooriyawewa,...Surroundings The eco-resort is surrounded by the following attractive places. While you are staying in the resort you can easily visit these places. Udawalawa National Park - 30 minutes drive Udawalawa Elephant Orphanage - 30 minutes [...]D: 5953.7mi20
- Tours to Lisbon, Porto, Algavre, Fatima and othersHttp://www.lisboasightseeing.com Lisbon tours. Porto tours. Portugal Travel Agency and Tour Operator. Lisbon tours to Porto, Algarve, Fatima with Portugal Tour Operators and Travel Agencies. Excursions by Lisbon and Porto tour guides. [...]D: n/a01
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
The view from Belfort Tower over this marvelous medieval city is something you don't want to miss. The 366 steps of this 83 meters tower are worth...
Sightseeing: Belfort Tower (Belfry of Bruges)
This is one of the typical windmills found in Northern Germany as well as all over Holland, Denmark and generally all of the Northern German states...
Sightseeing: Wrixum Wind Mill
You should really visit the valley with the grounds existing in several colours, done by nature.
Outdoors Activities: The valley
Travel in Nuuk is rather difficult since there are only 4 taxis and you need some strong political influence to get a cab. The taxis cots a flat...
General: How to travel in Nuuk, a big tip
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hi I travel to Tel Aviv several times a year and I have found that renting an apartment for short term is much cheaper than renting a hotel room...
General: Recommendation for accommodation in Tel Aviv
New Delhi, India
The India Gate is the national monument of India. It is one of the largest war memorials in India. Situated in the heart of New Delhi, India Gate...
History & Culture: India Gate
If you go to Tusnad don't miss to visit the Saint Anna lake. It is a bid cold but very beautiful!
Outdoors Activities: You must visit the St. Anna lake
If you visit the island of Oahu in Hawaii, make sure that you take a day to spend at Lani Kai beach. It is the most amazing beach i have been to....
General: Best Beaches Ever
Laguna Beach, California
Go to some of the restaurants by the beach. They are all really nice (I think many managed by gay people - maybe that's why :) ). Grab a coffee...
General: Restaurants by the beach - Dietrich's
Tables in a simple, yet inviting environment, with a tasteful decor, the Contigo Peru restaurant serves the best Peruvian food throughout the state...
Food: Contigo Peru