The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- Trip to CascaisCascais is like a royal resort, full of different sights, and most notably, various, beautiful beaches. Though the ocean was a bit cold, we still had to dip in a bit, but it was good to lay under the sun a while, away from the bustling city [...]D: n/a00
- Bikeiberia Rentals & TourBike Rentals & Bike Tours [...]D: 1.3mi20
- BelemThis bastion and tower are some kind of a symbol of the whole city. It is 50 m high and commemorates those Portuguese people who took part in the great discoveries throughout the history. It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the [...]D: 3.6mi00
- Eduardo VII Park in LisbonIn 1903 the British monarch, Edward VII visited Lisbon, on a reassurance of the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, and after his visit, the park (originally called Liberty Park) has been renamed after the monarch. The place comprises at least 26 [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Holiday Inn Lisbon ContinentalWe didn't spend much time in the hotel, we were roaming the streets all day long, exploring various areas, but while we DID spend time inside, everything was perfect. We were really pleased with the service provided. Our room was clean and [...]D: 0.8mi00
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
The place is not really cheap, indeed, but you may mostly see businessmen there. I would recommend to try some of the cocktails -if you are not...
Night Life & Entertainment: Cafe-Bar M1
We are one of the top traveling agencies in Cameroon managed by a group of Directors and personelle who are well experienced and versed with...
If you like history and archaeology, you definitely should visit the Glyptothek at munich. There a lot fo antique statues, busts and temple parts...
History & Culture: Glyptothek
One can chose for traveling in Paris the ParisVisite Card which applies for Metro, bus, tram and regional SNCF trains. Also provides special offers...
General: ParisVisite Card
Manchester, United Kingdom
Never stops raining.
Yangon is the former capital of Myanmar which boasts a distintive beauty with pagoda, river, old colonial buildings and scenic lakes. To enjoy...
Outdoors Activities: Best visiting attractions in Myanmar
Avoid public transportation in Oradea, it's horrible!
General: Transportation in Oradea
Charlotte, North Carolina
The greatest family-friendly destination is definitely the US National Whitewater Center located a few miles from Charlotte. There are several...
History & Culture: US National Whitewater Center
New Orleans, Louisiana
Voodoo is an important part of New Orleans culture, and not only because it is still practiced by some, in the form of gris-gris and other spells,...
History & Culture: Historic Voodoo Museum in New Orleans
Don't bring a jacket here, EVER! You'll be sure to die from a heat stroke if you even consider it. Beware of the massive amounts of cursing around...