The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- The Monastery of St. JeromeThe monastery, that has been built 500 years ago, is one of the most amazing sights in Portugal. Its unique architecture, its white 'clean' stone exterior and beautiful interior, not to mention that the famous Portuguese explorer is [...]D: 3.5mi00
- The Belem TowerD: 3.1mi00
- BelemThis bastion and tower are some kind of a symbol of the whole city. It is 50 m high and commemorates those Portuguese people who took part in the great discoveries throughout the history. It celebrates explorers like Prince Henry the [...]D: 3.6mi00
- Fatima near LisbonThough it is a bit far from the city (about 88 miles to the North), it is a place which is worth a visit, even if you're not a pilgrim or a devoted Christian. Fatima is the worshiping place of the Virgin Mary, where millions of [...]D: n/a00
- Bikeiberia Rentals & TourBike Rentals & Bike Tours [...]D: 1.3mi20
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
It´s a nice small village, that has got a well equipped museum, showing roman history, as well as old-timer cars and modern history. If you are...
General: A nice village
Great for a day trip starting from Dresden
History & Culture: Medieval Silver Mining Town
This was the first Christian abbey and monastery in Hungary at the very beginning of the 13th century. The building is beautiful, the monks are...
History & Culture: Benedictan Archabbey
Kanyakumari is the south most tip of india- Tour around Kanyakumari is a unique and wonderfull experince to the tourist. Most tourist attractive...
Sightseeing: Triveni Sungam
So it's that time of the year again when you've packed your bags and are raring to go and find yourself heading to God's Own Country – Kerala...
Beaches : Some Must-Do Activities On Your Trip To Kerala
There is a new hotel in Tiruchirappali called " Grand Gardenia " Ph: 91 9585644000 email; firstname.lastname@example.org I've had good...
General: New hotel in Tiruchirappalli
Petra is now one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is a fabulous place from the Eastern tales, simply breathtaking. The old city was...
History & Culture: The Ancient City
Islamabad Gharbi, Pakistan
Enjoy residing at luxurious hotels in Islamabad with Trekkso - One of the best travel and tour operators of Pakistan. To know more visit http://www...
General: Hotels in Islamabad
If you are at Pamukkale you should visit the well known Limestone terraces near the town. In earlier times you could even take a bath there, but...
Outdoors Activities: Limestone terraces
This amazing big bar is the greatest place to go dancing or just having fun for a night. The Cowboy Lounge has at least 3 bars and amazing dance...
Night Life & Entertainment: Cowboy Lounge