The Old University, Coimbra, Portugal
Travel tips > Europe > Portugal > Coimbra > The Old University
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
The Porta Ferrea, the Iron Gate leads to the beautiful courtyard. The whole thing looks from here like it might have looked in the Middle Ages. The yard has a terrace on one side, from where the view is amazing.
On the opposite side there is the Old University building with the Law Faculty and the Via Latina which is remarkable for once only Latin was allowed to be spoken here.
On the right side of this building there is the Observatorio, the Observatory and the University Church that was built in the second half of the 16th century and has a very hight and beautiful tower.
There is also a small museum here and a restaurant. The whole place is very nice and is perfect to spend some hours here wandering and enjoying the view.
Universidade de Coimbra
Largo da Porta Ferrea
2,5 Euro for adults.
Opened every day.
15 March to 30 September: 9am - 7pm
1 October to 14 March: 9am - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Portugal
- Holiday Inn Lisbon ContinentalWe didn't spend much time in the hotel, we were roaming the streets all day long, exploring various areas, but while we DID spend time inside, everything was perfect. We were really pleased with the service provided. Our room was clean and [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Tram 28 of LisbonTraveling with the local transportation of a city is always fun and gives you a feeling of being part of the city, like a local. That was the reason we hopped on the Tram 28 which goes up and down the narrow streets of Lisbon, giving a [...]D: n/a00
- The Gulbenkian MuseumThis museum, though not a big one, hosts first-class exhibitions from various Eastern cultures, like Egypt, Mesopotamia, India even Japan and China, and some collections of French furniture and paintings among other interesting artifacts. [...]D: 1.1mi01
- The Monastery of St. JeromeThe monastery, that has been built 500 years ago, is one of the most amazing sights in Portugal. Its unique architecture, its white 'clean' stone exterior and beautiful interior, not to mention that the famous Portuguese explorer is [...]D: 3.5mi00
- Trip to CascaisCascais is like a royal resort, full of different sights, and most notably, various, beautiful beaches. Though the ocean was a bit cold, we still had to dip in a bit, but it was good to lay under the sun a while, away from the bustling city [...]D: n/a00
Things about Coimbra you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
Guiyuang Si is the temple of the Original Tranquility, a very important Buddhist temple in China, located on the Cuiwei street. It was built in...
History & Culture: Guiyuan Si Monastery
If you are at Hamburg, go and visit the harbour area, especially the so called Speicherstadt. You can make boat rides through it and see the old...
History & Culture: Harbour part of the city
London, United Kingdom
The Millennium Bridge is just the perfect place for walking, I would say. It is a pedestrian bridge that links the Tate Modern Gallery with St...
Sightseeing: Millenium Bridge
If you are in Hajduszoboszlo don't miss out the aqua park. It is a great place, and it is not too expensive
Mexico City, Mexico
I think the ultimate Mexican experience I had part in was the Bazar del Sabado. It is a huge market with a lot of things from the fresh products of...
Shopping: Bazar del Sabado
The city is too hot. most of the places have good air conditioning but walking 10 minutes outside in summer is a torture.
General: Too hot
Anyone visiting Moscow will certainly need to go see the Red Square with the Kreml in the back. This is an amazing site simply because of it's...
Sightseeing: Red Square
Zuma Beach is just great. Though, you have to get there early if you want to get a parking place, traffic is killing sometimes. Zuma by the way...
Beaches : Zuma Beach
The Alabama State Capitol Building is the first thing that you should visit in Montgomery. The building has witnessed events such as the...
Sightseeing: Alabama State Capitol Building
Going to visit family n friends in paradise!
General: Family n friends