Munich Sights and Landmarks Guide, Germany
Although Munich, Germany is a dense city, you can effortlessly spend some days walking around its architectural treasures, relaxing surroundings and museums. It is always a pleasure to walk around the old town of Altstadt - its splendid avenues and airy squares which remind you of the glorious Bavaria's dominion.
When it comes to entertainment, Munich provides a brew of city style and laid-back southern feel of Gemutlichkeit, meaning a hale and hearty combination of amusement. It offers everything from the simple beer gardens and refurbished clubs to top-notch opera, traditional music and ultramodern theater.
Besides the world-famous Oktoberfest and the Hofbrauhaus, Munich gives so much more. It has been among Europe's highly affluent and posh cities since it was founded by Henry the Lion in 1158. From 1806, the city has been Bavaria’s capital and a significant hub of media, high-powered manufacturing such as BMW and media. It is the home of first-class art museums, vigorous cultural sight, lively nightlife and extravagant attractions such as the Oktoberfest.
Its famous landmarks include:
· The Frauenkirche Church with twin towers
· The Munich Marienplatz, Odeonsplatz with the Theatinerkirche and the Munich Residence loaded with museums.
· The Marienplatz, which is often pictured by tourists who are in Munich. This is the city’s historical plaza.
· Munich’s neo-Gothic New Town Hall shows the Munich Glockenspiel - among the biggest carillons all over Europe.
· Visit the Nymphenburg Palace. The huge baroque palace which served as summer home to Bavarian monarchs.
· The Munich’s Botanical Garden in Nymphenburg Castle is also a must see for tourists.
· Munich Hofbrauhaus is the home of the world's very prominent beer hall, it was already opened way back in 1644, living up to its reputation for grand beer, customary food and lovely music. It is open seven days a week and it is among the widely known and highly visited sites in Munich. It is a place that can really make the natives very proud of Munich.
· The Odeonsplatz. Located on the right, into the Hofgarten. This is a beautiful playground in Munich boosting with fine beer gardens along with a kid's place to play around.
· Englischer Garten. Take a stroll along this pretty park that stretches for more than 5km down the Isar River in the city. It is also among the main destinations in Munich.
· Berchtesgaden National Park. Because the city of Munich is only a few 1.5 hours away from Germany’s Bavarian Alps, you can likewise make short day trips all the way from the city. Better yet, spend several days in the nice mountains. It is just ideal for all of your outdoor activities. In the winter time, it also gives you exceptional ski resorts which are not very far from the city.
· Neuschwanstein Castle. This renowned edifice is just one and a half hours from the city. If you are planning a day trip in Munich, never forget to come to Fussen. It is the pleasant small town just around Neuschwanstein Castle.
So visit Munich, Germany now and have fun!
Things about Munich you may be interested in
Read our members' reviews about Munich
- Short visit in Munich
review by asterix posted more then 30 days ago
We just spent about one and half day in Munich to visit the best places in the city and to see how is life in a such a big city. The city is really beautiful but for me is really agglomerated. We just spent about 3 hours to find the street where Dan's friend work to have a good place to park the...
- Visit at Glyptothek in Munich
review by Wazling posted more then 30 days ago
If you are interested in history you should visit the "Glypthothek" at the Königsplatz in Munich. A lot of ancient sculptures from greek and roman history can be found there. Some really exceptional statues, like the "Sleeping Faun" or the statues of the temple of...
- Munich is best in the summer
review by travelgrove-editor posted more then 30 days ago
Population: Aprox. 80Mio Major Airports: * Franfurt (FRA) * Munich (MUC) * Berlin * Hamburg When to Go: Typically the months of May-September are good to visit as the temperatures are not too cold. In the summer it's usually quite hot outside, but never humid so...
Read our members' travel tips about Munich
travel tip by tibi posted more then 30 days ago
The Olympiaturn (Olympic Tower) is located in the Olympiapark. It's 291m tall and offers a great view over the city. While you are there, you should definitely walk around in the Olympiapark as well and enjoy the nice architecture...
- Olympiapark Munich
travel tip by marius_f posted more then 30 days ago
One of the most interesting sights to see if the Olympiapark. It's not only a park where you walk around, but you can visit the fantastic buildings of the 1972 summer games. They look like spider webs covering this area.Also, I...
- Visiting the Allianz Arena
travel tip by norfolkjon posted more then 30 days ago
While in Munich, you should go see a soccer match at the Allianz Arena. You may also want to just go there and visit without seeing a match. The structure is one of the most amazing sports arenas in the world and should not disappoint...
Members Who Have Been to Munich
Community Galleries About Munich
- faredepot.com$786Thy Turkish AirlinesInbound
New York, NY (JFK) → Munich, DE (MUC)
12/11/2015 01:40 pmOutbound
Munich, DE (MUC) → New York, NY (JFK)
12/20/2015 07:20 am
- flightnetwork.com$810Thy Turkish AirlinesInbound
Chicago, IL (ORD) → Munich, DE (MUC)
10/12/2015 10:40 pmOutbound
Munich, DE (MUC) → Chicago, IL (ORD)
10/22/2015 06:55 pm
Montreal, QC (YUL) → Munich, DE (MUC)
07/13/2016 08:55 pmOutbound
Munich, DE (MUC) → Montreal, QC (YUL)
07/23/2016 04:05 pm