Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Travel tips > North America > United States > Philadelphia > Eastern State Penitentiary
- Family & Fun travel tip
- City center
As we moved forward, prisoners, guards with malformed, scarred, really scary faces jumped out on us. There were also some ugly looking statue-like creations which looked so real when our flashlights lighted them. Things happened so unexpectedly, that even if you proposed to yourself that all this isn’t real, and you shouldn’t be scared, it just run through all your determination. What really made the adventure so real was that the whole building was exactly as it had been a few years after when it was closed. Nothing was changed.
And the decaying walls, furniture, the smells, the sounds, all these contributed to the creepiness of the whole place. I may visit the Penitentiary again at Halloween just to see if it is as scary as it was the first time, now that I know what I’m throwing myself into.
2027 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA
Prices vary on days and ticket types.
Daily in the daytime and at night until 11pm.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Philadelphia
- The Betsy Ross HouseBetsy Ross is a true American icon, because according to its descendants, she was the one who sew the first national flag of the United States. The oral history states that George Washington, Robert Morris and George Ross visited Betsy in [...]D: 1.3mi00
- Reading Terminal Market in PhiladelphiaA market hall that has everything that you might be looking for: shops, cafeterias, diners, market stalls, everything. If you stay in Philadelphia for more than a few days, and are quite close to the Reading Terminal Market, than I suggest [...]D: 0.6mi00
- The Independence Hall of PennsylvaniaA historical landmark, the Independence Hall is a building to see. It has been an important location for US citizens, being the place where the Declaration of Independence has been signed and where the Constitution of the United States has [...]D: 1.2mi00
- Free Library Festival in PhiladelphiaThough not just for booklovers, this festival is organized on a weekend in late spring. The most amazing thing about the Library Festival is that it’s absolutely free. For a whole 2 days, the Library hosts this festival for all ages. [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Copacabanana Restaurant in PhiladelphiaEstablished almost 30 years ago, the Copacabanana Restaurant grew out of a small pub with a small kitchen into an iconic restaurant which is famous for its fresh lime Margaritas and gourmet burgers. The staff in the pub is friendly and fun, [...]D: 1.2mi00
Things about Philadelphia you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
This is Heaven from time immemorial. Welcome to Hangzhou China.
History & Culture: Living in Hangzhou China
The two museums are in the same building, one of the most impressive Renaissance mansions in Lyon built at the beginning of the 16the century. ...
History & Culture: Historical Museum and Puppet Museum
This is one of the best places in Naples if you want to check out some real napolitan Pizza. The napolitan Pizza is famous for being a bit thicker...
Food: Pizzeria Starita
The Hague, Netherlands
Restaurant The Hague: Welcome Restaurant Alexander You are looking for a restaurant in The Hague, welcome at Restaurant Alexander in the...
Food: Restaurant Alexander in The Hague
In south Taipei, just at the end of the Musha Line MTR, a cable car way brings you up the Maokong Mountain. The view from the cart is breathtaking...
Outdoors Activities: Maokong Mountain
Boston's most beautiful church, in my opinion is the Trinity Church. The Romanesque style building was consacrated in 1877 and is one of...
History & Culture: Trinity Church Boston
Kansas City, Missouri
Located at Liberty Memorial, the National World War I Museum is the only facility in the world that features exhibits and collection of artifacts...
History & Culture: National World War I Museum
A traditional and highly popular diner amongst locals, Whitt's Barbecue is a simple, down-to-earth and welcoming restaurant that has the best...
Food: Whitt's Barbecue
This place has everything to have the greatest relaxation time ever. It has pool, spa, golf and tennis club. We spent the last day of our holiday...
General: JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix
A beautiful little restaurant that features Southwestern cuisine, the Cafe Terra Cotta is located on Sunrise Drive and is a local favorite in...
Food: Café Terra Cotta