Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Travel tips > North America > United States > Philadelphia > Eastern State Penitentiary
- Family & Fun travel tip
- City center
As we moved forward, prisoners, guards with malformed, scarred, really scary faces jumped out on us. There were also some ugly looking statue-like creations which looked so real when our flashlights lighted them. Things happened so unexpectedly, that even if you proposed to yourself that all this isn’t real, and you shouldn’t be scared, it just run through all your determination. What really made the adventure so real was that the whole building was exactly as it had been a few years after when it was closed. Nothing was changed.
And the decaying walls, furniture, the smells, the sounds, all these contributed to the creepiness of the whole place. I may visit the Penitentiary again at Halloween just to see if it is as scary as it was the first time, now that I know what I’m throwing myself into.
2027 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA
Prices vary on days and ticket types.
Daily in the daytime and at night until 11pm.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Philadelphia
- Free concerts on Penn’s LandingTaking a short walk from the Old City to Penn’s Landing on Friday night can result in an amazing ending of a day. There are FREE concerts to go to on the riverfront, and if you’re lucky, you might even see a band you like [...]D: 4227.2mi00
- Free Library Festival in PhiladelphiaThough not just for booklovers, this festival is organized on a weekend in late spring. The most amazing thing about the Library Festival is that it’s absolutely free. For a whole 2 days, the Library hosts this festival for all ages. [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Yards Brewing Company in PhiladelphiaThis brewpub, located in northern Philly, has been redesigned from a former ironworks factory and offers locally brewed beer for customers in a simply decorated, environmental friendly, wide-spaced room. An interesting fact about the Yards [...]D: 2mi00
- The Betsy Ross HouseBetsy Ross is a true American icon, because according to its descendants, she was the one who sew the first national flag of the United States. The oral history states that George Washington, Robert Morris and George Ross visited Betsy in [...]D: 1.3mi00
- Crown Plaza Philadelphia WestLocated between the suburbs and downtown Philadelphia, this Crown Plaza Hotel is a comfortable and quite affordable lodging with the necessary equipments for a great stay in Philly. The rooms were newly renovated, so they are not only [...]D: 4.6mi00
Things about Philadelphia you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Wiener Neustadt, Austria
They have great drinks not for too much and great company. Also they have the best music in the area, so yes, I can say it's the best club in the...
Night Life & Entertainment: Backstage
Austins Ferry, Australia
On a Luxury sailing cruises at Whitsundays private yacht charter, sailing charter with Real life enjoy reef walking, Whole, Golfing, Sundancer,...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
If you want to go shopping on a high level, go to Zurich. There´s much you can do there in that sense.
General: Shopping in the city center
The name of this late night eatery might sound like some kind of cheap fast food chain imported from America, but it is far from that. Bistro...
Food: Bistro Burger
Prague, Czech Republic
Maybe the most interesting example of modern architecture in Prague is the Dancing House (also called Fred and Ginger). It was constructed in 1996...
Sightseeing: Dancing House in Prague
Great for a day trip starting from Dresden
History & Culture: Medieval Silver Mining Town
If you are in the south of germany, close to the village of Herbertingen, you should visit the open air museum called Heuneburg. It´s the place of...
Outdoors Activities: Open air museum
If you like swimming or just sun-bathing on the beach, go and spend a few days at the Balaton. If you like to party all night long with great DJs...
General: The Balaton lake and Siofok
Nightlife in Bangalore is amazing....it has umpteen number of pubs, lounges, restaurants, motels and hotels....this is the place to be ...:)
Night Life & Entertainment: The Vidhan Soudha
Mexico City, Mexico
The original center of a colonial Spanish city is called a Zocalo. It consists of a square with public buildings and the buildings of the local...
Sightseeing: Zocalo in Mexico City