Local customs in Honolulu, Hawaii
Travel tips > North America > United States > Honolulu > Local customs in Honolulu
- General travel tip
- City center
You will get a 'lei' - flower necklace as soon as you get off your airplane. You can also get some in parks or beaches. Do not reject it, it's very rude. Most leis are made of silk flowers, so don't worry about allergy.
If you befriend someone in Hawaii and get invited into his/her home, don't forget to remove your shoes before entering the house. It is an important local custom - and seems very logical to me. It is rudeness to leave your shoes on, but hopefully there will be a string of shoes at the actual door that will remind you.
Hope this will helped. Hawaiian people are amazing, by the way. :)
Anywhere and everywhere.
Paying some attention is entirely free.
Recent travel tips for Honolulu
- The Willows in HonoluluTh Willows is a great experience, it is an essence of Hawaiian mentality. The style is mostly local as much of the food was Hawaiian specialties, but there were a lot of Asian and other kinds of food. The Willows is much like a buffet, [...]D: 0.8mi10
- The Bus in HonoluluThe means of public transportation in Honolulu and the whole island is The Bus. There are some 80 Bus routes only for the Honolulu area, including Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. A lot of people use it and it's really very good, one of the [...]D: n/a00
- Arnold's in HonoluluArnold's is a very sweet campy tiki bar on Saratoga road across the street from a post office. The bar is small, but there are great things in it from good, some of the best, cocktails to live blues, country and rock music in the evenings. [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Waikiki BeachThey say Paradise is lost. I think not, it is still there and is called Waikiki. This place is wonderful. You can do everything you can possibly imagine! The nature is perfect, the beaches, the waves and the small island nearby, I loved [...]D: n/a00
- Iolani Palace in HonoluluIolani Palace is one of the landmarks of Hawaii. Built in 1882, the palace is the only place in the whole USA that was the residence of a reigning monarch. Hawaii's last two royal rulers, King David Kalakaua and his sister and successor, [...]D: 5.1mi00
Things about Honolulu you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
It´s a nice small village, that has got a well equipped museum, showing roman history, as well as old-timer cars and modern history. If you are...
General: A nice village
While in Bali you must visit the monkey temple in Uluwatu. You get an awesome view from the high cliffs where the temple sits and the temple itself...
History & Culture: Uluwatu - Monkey Temple
The National Park is huge and beautiful. It is right next to the city, so you can easily reach it wherever in Killarney you would be. The Park...
Outdoors Activities: Killarney National Park
The city is too hot. most of the places have good air conditioning but walking 10 minutes outside in summer is a torture.
General: Too hot
Welcome to MyCebuRealEstate your wealth of information on Cebu Real Estate and Philippine Real Estate. Having a hard time finding the perfect...
General: Cebu Real Estate - Cebu House - Philippine Real Estate
If you arrive in Zalau you should visit Sfanta Vineri Cathedral wich is the 3rd largest cathedral in the Estern Europe.
General: Sfanta Vineri Cathedral
It is located on the Cathedral Square. It was constructed by an Italian architect in the 1510s. For centuries the Cathedral gave home to the...
Sightseeing: Cathedral of the Archangel
Open for almost 20 years now, the major entertainment and sports venue, the Honda Center in Anaheim hosts hockey games, ice-skating competitions...
Sports & Wellness : Honda Center in Anaheim
Beer fanatics would love this place, because Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse has a wide variety of beers to choose from, more than 40. Plus a...
Food: Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse
Santa Ana, California
Dedicated to arts and crafts of indigenous people throughout the world, the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art is a beautiful and educational venue for...
History & Culture: Bowers Museum of Cultural Art