Local customs in Honolulu, Hawaii
Travel tips > North America > United States > Honolulu > Local customs in Honolulu
- General travel tip
- City center
You will get a 'lei' - flower necklace as soon as you get off your airplane. You can also get some in parks or beaches. Do not reject it, it's very rude. Most leis are made of silk flowers, so don't worry about allergy.
If you befriend someone in Hawaii and get invited into his/her home, don't forget to remove your shoes before entering the house. It is an important local custom - and seems very logical to me. It is rudeness to leave your shoes on, but hopefully there will be a string of shoes at the actual door that will remind you.
Hope this will helped. Hawaiian people are amazing, by the way. :)
Anywhere and everywhere.
Paying some attention is entirely free.
Recent travel tips for Honolulu
- Sunset on the BeachSunset on the Beach is the kind of entertainment that should be offered in every city. It is fantastic, it's a free movie place on the beach. Films are shown on weekends, on an about 10 meters (30 feet) screen and they are good movies [...]D: n/a00
- Waikiki BeachThey say Paradise is lost. I think not, it is still there and is called Waikiki. This place is wonderful. You can do everything you can possibly imagine! The nature is perfect, the beaches, the waves and the small island nearby, I loved [...]D: n/a00
- Manoa FallsI don't know why so many visitors to Hawaii miss out on seeing the rainforest. Just ten minutes from Waikiki you can find a great trail that leads to a gorgeous waterfall. Manoa Falls trail is free, well maintained, and gorgeous. [...]D: 2.4mi00
- The Willows in HonoluluTh Willows is a great experience, it is an essence of Hawaiian mentality. The style is mostly local as much of the food was Hawaiian specialties, but there were a lot of Asian and other kinds of food. The Willows is much like a buffet, [...]D: 0.8mi10
- Pearl HarbourPearl Harbour is an absolute must see in Honolulu. First you arrive to the Visitor Center and from there boats take you to the actual memorial. Visitor Center is also amazing, there are a lot of things to see from pictures to the objects of [...]D: n/a00
Things about Honolulu you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
San Diego, Costa Rica
Beaches are naturally free and they are very good in San Diego. Some of them are especially beautiful. I would very much recommend La Jolla and...
General: Free and cheap things in San Diego
While in Friedrichshafen, don't miss out on visiting the Promenade. It's basically the street that's right by the Lake Constance. There are a ton...
Sightseeing: Friedrichshafen Promenade
For all you beach lovers out there, this is a must when in Croatia. Considered to be the best beach in Croatia because of shape, it is a peninsula...
Beaches : Zlatni Rat
I think exploring Amsterdam by bike (or scooter) that you can rent from Amsterbike is a much more fun easy. Though going on foot has its charm,...
Public Transportation: Amsterbike
Glimpse of Mountain biking tour in Nepal Nepal is the world's number one adventure playground for mountain bikers. Through mountain biking trip is...
Outdoors Activities: Biking trip to Nepal
Tacking taxis isnt so expensive, so use them to get from A to B.
General: Taxi's are cheap
If you are at Pamukkale you should visit the well known Limestone terraces near the town. In earlier times you could even take a bath there, but...
Outdoors Activities: Limestone terraces
Saint Paul, Minnesota
It was a good idea to combine gardens with the zoo and recreation parks, that way you had everything 'under one roof' to say that. And the...
Family & Fun: Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
One of the main entertainment joints in Tulsa is Cain's Ballroom, which has grown from a garage into a well-known and favorite among locals...
Night Life & Entertainment: Cain's Ballroom
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The Reunification palace is a presidential palace. This palace consists of about 100 rooms where each room is beautiful crafted with nice...
Sightseeing: Reunification Palace