Local customs in Honolulu, Hawaii
Travel tips > North America > United States > Honolulu > Local customs in Honolulu
- General travel tip
- City center
You will get a 'lei' - flower necklace as soon as you get off your airplane. You can also get some in parks or beaches. Do not reject it, it's very rude. Most leis are made of silk flowers, so don't worry about allergy.
If you befriend someone in Hawaii and get invited into his/her home, don't forget to remove your shoes before entering the house. It is an important local custom - and seems very logical to me. It is rudeness to leave your shoes on, but hopefully there will be a string of shoes at the actual door that will remind you.
Hope this will helped. Hawaiian people are amazing, by the way. :)
Anywhere and everywhere.
Paying some attention is entirely free.
Recent travel tips for Honolulu
- Waikiki BeachThey say Paradise is lost. I think not, it is still there and is called Waikiki. This place is wonderful. You can do everything you can possibly imagine! The nature is perfect, the beaches, the waves and the small island nearby, I loved [...]D: n/a00
- Manoa FallsI don't know why so many visitors to Hawaii miss out on seeing the rainforest. Just ten minutes from Waikiki you can find a great trail that leads to a gorgeous waterfall. Manoa Falls trail is free, well maintained, and gorgeous. [...]D: 2.4mi00
- Iolani Palace in HonoluluIolani Palace is one of the landmarks of Hawaii. Built in 1882, the palace is the only place in the whole USA that was the residence of a reigning monarch. Hawaii's last two royal rulers, King David Kalakaua and his sister and successor, [...]D: 5.1mi00
- Aloha TowerAloha Tower is mostly known for being a shopping center with many restaurants of all kinds. However, it is more than that. It is a 10 story building constructed in 1926 in the very heart of Honolulu. The Tower itself is beautiful and the [...]D: 3.1mi00
- The Bus in HonoluluThe means of public transportation in Honolulu and the whole island is The Bus. There are some 80 Bus routes only for the Honolulu area, including Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. A lot of people use it and it's really very good, one of the [...]D: n/a00
Things about Honolulu you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There is no man on the earth who would not find the tango one of the most beautiful dances in the world. To see is in Argentina, one of its homes...
Night Life & Entertainment: Tango Show in El Viejo Almacen
If you are aorund Bregenz at the time of july/august and if you like theater plays, you have definitely to visit the theater festival of Bregenz....
Night Life & Entertainment: Theater festival at the lake of Constance
San Diego, Costa Rica
Beaches are naturally free and they are very good in San Diego. Some of them are especially beautiful. I would very much recommend La Jolla and...
General: Free and cheap things in San Diego
If you want to feel party, go to Alicante during the time of the 'Hogueras de San Juan' at the 24th of june. A lot of exceptional sculptures are...
General: There you should go!
The Cathedral is the third largest church and the absolute largest Gothic Church in the world. Its construction was completed in around 1500 and...
History & Culture: Catedral
If you are at Nimes, and you are interested in looking at roman history, you should visit several places. The amphitheater, from the end of the 1st...
History & Culture: Ancient Nemausus in the modern city area
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hi I travel to Tel Aviv several times a year and I have found that renting an apartment for short term is much cheaper than renting a hotel room...
General: Recommendation for accommodation in Tel Aviv
The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia, was built in 1447 from an ancient votive chapel, within a single day. This should give saefty...
General: The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia
Don't forget to document each of your travel. Always bring your cameras or videocam for photos and video of your trip.
General: Los Angeles
If you are looking for luxury travel in Switzerland, then pureswizerland is the right place for you. With Pureswitzerland, you will get luxury and...
Sports & Wellness : Best Luxury travel Switzerland