Local customs in Honolulu, Hawaii
Travel tips > North America > United States > Honolulu > Local customs in Honolulu
- General travel tip
- City center
You will get a 'lei' - flower necklace as soon as you get off your airplane. You can also get some in parks or beaches. Do not reject it, it's very rude. Most leis are made of silk flowers, so don't worry about allergy.
If you befriend someone in Hawaii and get invited into his/her home, don't forget to remove your shoes before entering the house. It is an important local custom - and seems very logical to me. It is rudeness to leave your shoes on, but hopefully there will be a string of shoes at the actual door that will remind you.
Hope this will helped. Hawaiian people are amazing, by the way. :)
Anywhere and everywhere.
Paying some attention is entirely free.
Recent travel tips for Honolulu
- The Willows in HonoluluTh Willows is a great experience, it is an essence of Hawaiian mentality. The style is mostly local as much of the food was Hawaiian specialties, but there were a lot of Asian and other kinds of food. The Willows is much like a buffet, [...]D: 0.8mi10
- Indigo RestaurantIndigo is located between Chinatown and Downtown Honolulu. Their food, officially 'Modern Asian Cuisine', is just amazing. All thanks for Chef Glenn Chu. I think the man is an artist. The place is a little posh, but only a little. Their [...]D: 3.1mi00
- The Bus in HonoluluThe means of public transportation in Honolulu and the whole island is The Bus. There are some 80 Bus routes only for the Honolulu area, including Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. A lot of people use it and it's really very good, one of the [...]D: n/a00
- Pearl HarbourPearl Harbour is an absolute must see in Honolulu. First you arrive to the Visitor Center and from there boats take you to the actual memorial. Visitor Center is also amazing, there are a lot of things to see from pictures to the objects of [...]D: n/a00
- Zanzabar NightclubGreat night spot in Waikiki, it's the best place to go when you are in Honolulu, especially on Friday nights. There is always great music, wonderful cocktails and the best staff I ever met in a nightclub. They also have a VIP room for [...]D: n/a10
Things about Honolulu you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
When going to this place make sure you stay at a 4star,you will enjoy your holiday better.
On my 1st trip to Quito, I got incredibly sick. First I thought it was food poisoning but it was suggested I had altitude sickness. We flew from...
General: Beware of Altitude sickness
The Royal Palace used to be the residence of the Spanish kings and queens. Now it is only used for official ceremonies and when foreign diplomats...
History & Culture: Royal Palace
Dont let yourself be torned in a restaurant by these guys, standing in front of restaurants. If you start to talk to them, you wont be able to get...
General: Dont talk to guys standing in front of restaurants
If your plan a unique and a bit different holiday in South-East of Asia then look no further as Myanmar is your choice for this year, the stunning...
General: Myanmar tours with river cruise holiday
Small does not necessary mean boring. Covasna proves this theory. When I say this, among many things, I think about the nightlife here. Even if...
Night Life & Entertainment: Covasna's only disco (but it's worth a lot)
If you visit Oradea in spring (espacially in April) you should take a walk in the museum's park. There are some magnolia trees which are in bloom...
Outdoors Activities: Magnolia trees in the musem's park
The Park of Rose is the most beautiful park from Timisoara, which was founded in 1891. There you can see very many different species of flowers.
Family & Fun: Roses park
Hi, so there is a river that goes right near the city of Poltava, Ukraine. Our summers are really, really hot, so many people get out of the city....
Beaches : Things to do in Poltava in summer
New York, New York
Agora Gallery, established 1984, is a fine art gallery dedicated to the promotion of national and international artists, providing quality and...
History & Culture: Agora Gallery