Walking Tour: Amsterdam in World War II, Netherlands
Travel tips > Europe > Netherlands > Amsterdam > Walking Tour: Amsterdam in World War II
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
Focusing on the happening during World War II and afterward the Holocaust, we learned quite many things about the persecution of the Jews, the 'Winter Hunger' during 1944-45, and many other facts that we either didn't know about or we weren't very informed about.
It definitely was an educational few hours and we were glad to have taken the tour, because we glimpsed into Amsterdam's background that is not so easily recognizable. It was much better than roaming the rooms of a museum. :)
Looiersgracht 31, 1016 VR Amsterdam, The Netherlands
17 EUR for adults and 10 EUR for children older than 12 (tour not advisable for the younger ones).
How to get there:
Get to the Prinsengracht and Leliegracht street corners not much far from the Anne Frank Museum.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Amsterdam
- Roundtrip on the 'Grachten'If you are at Amsterdam, a boattrip on the so called Grachten is must do. In Amsterdam the net of the Grachten, netherland for canals, is about 80 kilometers long. You can enjoy the Grachten and the old housess along it on a relaxing ride [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Van Gogh MuseumThough a little bit expensive, the Van Gogh Museum is an artistic jewel among all the naturalistic or historic museums that can be found in Amsterdam. There are more than 200 paintings and about 5-600 drawings of the famous Dutch artist to [...]D: 1.5mi00
- TropenmuseumWe've been to quite many museum during our travels but the Tropenmuseum is something entirely different from the 'traditional' ones. The museum has such a variety of exhibitions that you feel like you were in some kind of magic [...]D: 1.6mi00
- St. Nicolaas Boat Club of AmsterdamEstablished around 1997 by two Dutchmen, the St. Nicolaas Boat Club is a small, non-profit organization that gives its heart and soul to its boats and their history. Because they are not professionals, you can't contact them online, [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Wetlands SafariThe tour we took with Wetlands Safari was a fun and interesting opportunity to explore the side of Amsterdam that is not so accessible when you're on your own, unless you are VERY adventurous.It was a great thing we went down the river [...]D: n/a00
Things about Amsterdam you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It might be bizarre to recommend a cemetery as a sight, but it's my best place in the whole city. A lot of Argentina's famous and wealthy people...
History & Culture: Recoleta Cemetery
Bat Dat Royal is a nice little Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant near the city center of Freiburg. They have a pretty good buffet and at night they...
Food: Bat Dat Royal China-Vietnam Restaurant
One great place to go for breakfast in Ravensburg is the new Babiole. It's located in the city center and most people know it by now. The place is...
Getting to Skopje and sightseeing the city!
General: Skopje trip
Karachi Lines, Pakistan
Enjoy residing at luxurious hotels in Islamabad & hotels in Karachi with Trekkso - One of the best travel and tour operators of pakistan.
General: Hotels in Karachi
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
No thing important i like go best place
General: Man or mr
It is definitely a must if you are in the area. The museum and the city zoo are together, it's a perfect family program as well. The Skansen...
Outdoors Activities: Skansen open-air museum
Clark Quay is a vibrant place in Singapore. There are alot of bars, pubs, clubs, eateries, restaurants and even a shopping mall. This place comes...
Night Life & Entertainment: Clark Quay entertainment
Manhattan Beach, California
I have only been at this place at night, so I am not able to tell you whether it’s good during the day. The Irish bar offers some nice selection...
Night Life & Entertainment: Hennessey's Tavern
Full of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings, the Dixon Gallery and Gardens is a great, peaceful get-away for those you would like to...
Sightseeing: Dixon Gallery and Gardens