Walking Tour: Amsterdam in World War II, Netherlands
Travel tips > Europe > Netherlands > Amsterdam > Walking Tour: Amsterdam in World War II
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
Focusing on the happening during World War II and afterward the Holocaust, we learned quite many things about the persecution of the Jews, the 'Winter Hunger' during 1944-45, and many other facts that we either didn't know about or we weren't very informed about.
It definitely was an educational few hours and we were glad to have taken the tour, because we glimpsed into Amsterdam's background that is not so easily recognizable. It was much better than roaming the rooms of a museum. :)
Looiersgracht 31, 1016 VR Amsterdam, The Netherlands
17 EUR for adults and 10 EUR for children older than 12 (tour not advisable for the younger ones).
How to get there:
Get to the Prinsengracht and Leliegracht street corners not much far from the Anne Frank Museum.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Jewel CruisesWhen we went to dinner in one of the Amstredam Jewel Cruises, we didn't thought we would enjoy ourselves so much. Though we found the dinner packages a bit expensive, especially that the simple Dinner Cruise didn't include [...]D: 0.5mi00
- West Church in AmsterdamThe West Church (Westerkerk) is one the highest buildings in Amsterdam and one of the few that allows visitors to climb its top. The view is quite beautiful from up the tower, though can't see very far to the sea. The inside of the [...]D: 0.5mi00
- Taxi service in AmsterdamMany visitors arriving at Schiphol Airport might get a bad first impression of the country, because of unfriendly taxi drivers that might also overcharge. I use taxis a lot when I travel to and from the airport and I can give you this tip: [...]D: n/a00
- Countryside Bike ToursWe chose the countryside bike tour because we were staying downtown Amsterdam and we could explore the city and its attractions in our own time, but we couldn't have gotten to the countryside. So we met our guide at the departure point, [...]D: 1mi00
- Randy Roy Redlight ToursAmsterdam's Red Light District is an attraction to everyone who visits the city. Though it might prove more fun for the male party, women have also much fun during the 1 and a half hour walk. At least I had! :) The guide was really [...]D: 0.2mi00
Things about Amsterdam you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The City Hall was built in its present form by Jules Hardouin-Mansart in the year 1700. Check the gardens inside. No public access inside the...
Sightseeing: Hotel de Ville
The Rotunda is also known by the name of Agios Giorgos. It was first a Roman mausoleum, then a Christian church and later a mosque, quite a history...
History & Culture: The Rotunda
If you are at Plitvice you should definitely take a look at the lakes of Plitvice. They are gorgeous and also famous through the german Winnetou...
Outdoors Activities: Famous Lakes, also known from the old Winnetou films
This was the first Christian abbey and monastery in Hungary at the very beginning of the 13th century. The building is beautiful, the monks are...
History & Culture: Benedictan Archabbey
If you are exactly in the center of the city, you will see a narrow street with stairs between two buildings. On the wall near the street is a sign...
Food: Eating 'Langos' in the center of the city
Near the cave just about a 1 mile you can find a great place for camping, with grass and a little brook
General: A little camping
The main street of the city is the most beautiful main street I have seen in Transsylvania. The buildings are constructed from the 16th to the...
Sightseeing: Main street of Sibiu
Even if you can't stay in this amazingly beautiful hotel because you're on a budget, you should still go and take a look at it, or have a...
Sightseeing: The Driskill
Located on the Cherry Street district, the Hideaway Pizza offers quite delicious dishes to its customers. Most of the toppings are extremely tasty...
Food: Hideaway Pizza
Hong Kong, China
It is one of the best places I've eaten at while I was in Hong Kong. The whole place has a nice kind of buzz to it, with waitresses pushing food...
Food: City Hall Maxim’s Place, Best Restaurant in Hong Kong