Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Travel tips > Europe > Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
There was some scandal, because only the Great Haram Mosque had six minarets, but the sultan solved the problem: he sent his architect to add one more minaret to the Haram Mosque. Smart guy!
The mosque got it's unofficial name (Blue Mosque) for the 20,000 blue tiles that decorate the high ceiling in the inside of it. It is a breathtaking view how the shiny tiles wave across the ceiling forming flowers, trees and other shapes.
There are also 260 windows on the mosque with beautiful (although not original) stained glass. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Daily from 9am to 6pm, except for the praying times, half an hour five times per day.
Recent travel tips for Istanbul
- The Blue MosqueNamed after Sultan Ahmed, who made it to be built between 1607 and 1617, the Blue Mosque is a symbol of grandeur, harmony and beauty. It is a sight that would make you miss out on a lot, if not visited. Try to go and see the building in the [...]D: 0.9mi10
- Istanbul Museum of Modern ArtYou get a glimpse in the 20th century Turkish artists viewpoints, life when you visit this amazing Istanbul Museum of Modern Art. The many interesting exhibitions just draw you closer and make you use you imagination when deciphering what [...]D: n/a00
- One Nation Travel TurkeyWe thought that for the first time it would be great not to organize our trips in a foreign city ourselves, so we booked in advance for a 6-Day Istanbul Package with One Nation Travel Turkey agency. We were picked from the airport on our [...]D: 0.7mi11
- Istanbul Archeology MuseumChristian and pagan, ancient and newer artifacts are gathered at the world's largest museum, at the Istanbul Archeology Museum. As Turkey's first museum, opened in 1891, many objects, artifacts, and artworks have been gathered to be [...]D: n/a00
- Byzantine HippodromeOriginally the home of sports games in the Byzantine period, the Hippodrome has been later converted into a park. It is open to the public all day long and is quite close to other major attractions such as the Ayasofya, the Blue Mosque or [...]D: 0.9mi00
Things about Istanbul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
When you are in Füssen, then you can go to a big castle called 'Schloss Schwanstein'.
General: Schloss Schwanstein
In stuttgart, there is ab very big and interessting museum. The 'Mercedes-Benz Museum'. There you can see very old or new mercedes. You can also...
This is one of the typical windmills found in Northern Germany as well as all over Holland, Denmark and generally all of the Northern German states...
Sightseeing: Wrixum Wind Mill
There is a wonderful view from Sacromonte over the city. You can find an abbey on the top of the mountain, beautiful 17th century building. What...
Outdoors Activities: Sacromonte
Athens is extremely hot, so make sure that you always have enough to drink with you. Especially when you are climbing up to the Parthenon.
History & Culture: Bring water with you to the Parthenon
If you intend to go there, check the availability of buses and train, together with it´s schedules. Otherwise it happens, like at a lot of other...
Public Transportation: If you don't want to get lost
Indroda Park is quite an old park on the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar Highway spread in over 400 hectares on the bank of river Sabarmati. It is...
Outdoors Activities: Indroda Park
Kanyakumari is the south most tip of india- Tour around Kanyakumari is a unique and wonderfull experince to the tourist. Most tourist attractive...
Sightseeing: Triveni Sungam
El Djem, Tunisia
You should really take a look at the ancient roman amphitheater in the town center. Prices are moderate.
General: Ancient roman amphiteater
Washington, District Of Columbia
Redesigned from a rowhouse the Eighteenth Street Lounge is a great place to relax. Though not the fanciest place in DC it does look luxurious and...
Night Life & Entertainment: Eighteenth Street Lounge