Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Travel tips > Europe > Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
There was some scandal, because only the Great Haram Mosque had six minarets, but the sultan solved the problem: he sent his architect to add one more minaret to the Haram Mosque. Smart guy!
The mosque got it's unofficial name (Blue Mosque) for the 20,000 blue tiles that decorate the high ceiling in the inside of it. It is a breathtaking view how the shiny tiles wave across the ceiling forming flowers, trees and other shapes.
There are also 260 windows on the mosque with beautiful (although not original) stained glass. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Daily from 9am to 6pm, except for the praying times, half an hour five times per day.
Recent travel tips for Istanbul
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)One of the most beautiful architectural buildings, the Hagia Sophia, also known as Ayasofya, was originally built as a Christian (Byzantine) Church, but after the 16th century it has been converted into a mosque and nowadays serves as a [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Pasazade RestaurantFeaturing Ottoman cuisine with rich flavors the Pasazade Restaurant or terrace for that matter is a delight in its own. They absolutely delicious dishes with spicy ingredients and it just waters your mouth the minute you just look at your [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Aloran RestaurantWe just loved the food and the service at the Aloran Restaurant. Though a bit pricey, and we had quite a trouble finding the place for starters, but aside from that, the food, the atmosphere was worth it. At least for us. When we went [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Istanbul Turkish Night Dinner ShowTURKISH NIGHT Dinner folk and belly dance show (Traditional music - dance evening - Istanbul) you will be picked up from your hotel and will transfer you to the showand at end of the show we will transfer you back to your hotel. Midnight [...]D: 1.7mi00
- The Blue MosqueNamed after Sultan Ahmed, who made it to be built between 1607 and 1617, the Blue Mosque is a symbol of grandeur, harmony and beauty. It is a sight that would make you miss out on a lot, if not visited. Try to go and see the building in the [...]D: 0.9mi10
Things about Istanbul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
New Norfolk, Australia
Norfolk Island is the best place to live, to travel and to relax. It is a beautiful island with sandy beaches, high mountains covered with tall...
General: Heaven on earth
If you are holidaying on a budget but don’t want to compromise on quality, our Sydney hotel deal for tonight is perfect for you. Our hotels in...
General: Sydney Hotel Deals for Tonight
We are one of the top traveling agencies in Cameroon managed by a group of Directors and personelle who are well experienced and versed with...
The museum is dedicated to the history and art of wine. It is located in the Chartrons quarter, which was the traditional center of wine merchants....
History & Culture: Wine and Wine Trade Museum
The infamous Tannery is the location where all leather is made in Morocco. There are Tanneries in many cities but the Fes Tannery is famous and you...
I am a good man with fear of God in life .
History & Culture: Be good to others
The 32 floor Foshay Tower might not be very impressive when compared to mre modern sky-scrapers, but back when it was completed (in 1929), it was...
Sightseeing: Foshay Tower
The bar that is said to be the heart and soul of country music, Robert's Western World is an energetic entertaining place where you can dance,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Robert's Western World
If you like skiing, you should definitely go there. The glaciers at Hintertux offers you a wide variety of ski runs, for every state of skill. ...
Outdoors Activities: Skiing
Sankt Anton Am Arlberg, Austria
If you like skiing, you should definitely go there. The place, lying in the austrian alps, has got more than 85 lifts and about 280 kilometers of...
Outdoors Activities: Skiing