Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Travel tips > Europe > Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
There was some scandal, because only the Great Haram Mosque had six minarets, but the sultan solved the problem: he sent his architect to add one more minaret to the Haram Mosque. Smart guy!
The mosque got it's unofficial name (Blue Mosque) for the 20,000 blue tiles that decorate the high ceiling in the inside of it. It is a breathtaking view how the shiny tiles wave across the ceiling forming flowers, trees and other shapes.
There are also 260 windows on the mosque with beautiful (although not original) stained glass. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Daily from 9am to 6pm, except for the praying times, half an hour five times per day.
Recent travel tips for Istanbul
- Istanbul Turkish Night Dinner ShowTURKISH NIGHT Dinner folk and belly dance show (Traditional music - dance evening - Istanbul) you will be picked up from your hotel and will transfer you to the showand at end of the show we will transfer you back to your hotel. Midnight [...]D: 1.7mi00
- Topkapi PalaceUsed as the main residence for the Sultan Mehmet II, the Topkapi Palace now is such a major tourist attraction that it is almost very crowded. There are very many people, you have to queue to buy your ticket and sometimes you don't get [...]D: 0.8mi50
- The Blue MosqueNamed after Sultan Ahmed, who made it to be built between 1607 and 1617, the Blue Mosque is a symbol of grandeur, harmony and beauty. It is a sight that would make you miss out on a lot, if not visited. Try to go and see the building in the [...]D: 0.9mi10
- Egyptian BazaarFull of color and smell, the Egyptian Bazaar is like spice gem in a small street. There so many spices, nuts, seeds, dried fruits to choose from, you can get lost in them. Though we saw very few locals, the place was flooded with visitors [...]D: n/a00
- Aloran RestaurantWe just loved the food and the service at the Aloran Restaurant. Though a bit pricey, and we had quite a trouble finding the place for starters, but aside from that, the food, the atmosphere was worth it. At least for us. When we went [...]D: 0.4mi00
Things about Istanbul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Located on the northern part of Lhasa is the residence of the Dalai Lama, the leader of the Buddhist religion. The Palace is also a World Heritage...
History & Culture: Potala Palace
Kressbronn Am Bodensee, Germany
Wenn man in der Nähe des Bodensees ist und in der Gegend von Kressbronn, dann sollte man zum entspannen ins dortige Strandbad am Bodensee gehen....
General: Strandbad am Bodensee
If you go to Ruffenhofen, you should have your own car, because public transport is very weak there.
Public Transportation: Use your car
The town of Zamora was founded by the Romans and is located one hour north of Salamanca and one hour west of Portugal. The city is famous for the...
Sightseeing: The town of Zamora
London, United Kingdom
The Downton Abbey set areas are few minutes drive from London. Explorers can pick their own particular Downton Abbey experience. Independently...
General: Downton Abbey Tours
Hello Bacarra, get a stop over at Bacarra on your way to Pagudpud. It is worth visiting. It's historical belltower is outstanding, the tallest in...
General: Historical belltower Co-ca river sandy beach of Natba
Nice, quiet, more like a living wonder.
General: Living wonder
The main street of the city is the most beautiful main street I have seen in Transsylvania. The buildings are constructed from the 16th to the...
Sightseeing: Main street of Sibiu
For me this bookstore is Heaven on Earth!! I always loved to read while eating a snack or drink a cup of hot chocolate and to find a place that...
Shopping: Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe
Taking a short walk from the Old City to Penn’s Landing on Friday night can result in an amazing ending of a day. There are FREE concerts to...
Night Life & Entertainment: Free concerts on Penn’s Landing