Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Travel tips > Europe > Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
There was some scandal, because only the Great Haram Mosque had six minarets, but the sultan solved the problem: he sent his architect to add one more minaret to the Haram Mosque. Smart guy!
The mosque got it's unofficial name (Blue Mosque) for the 20,000 blue tiles that decorate the high ceiling in the inside of it. It is a breathtaking view how the shiny tiles wave across the ceiling forming flowers, trees and other shapes.
There are also 260 windows on the mosque with beautiful (although not original) stained glass. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Daily from 9am to 6pm, except for the praying times, half an hour five times per day.
Recent travel tips for Istanbul
- Topkapi PalaceUsed as the main residence for the Sultan Mehmet II, the Topkapi Palace now is such a major tourist attraction that it is almost very crowded. There are very many people, you have to queue to buy your ticket and sometimes you don't get [...]D: 0.8mi50
- Basilica CisternJust across the street from the Blue Mosque, the Basilica Cistern is a mysterious underground place that you shouldn't miss. There are very many columns lighted from under with reddish lamps, giving the whole place a bit of Gothic and [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Istanbul Museum of Modern ArtYou get a glimpse in the 20th century Turkish artists viewpoints, life when you visit this amazing Istanbul Museum of Modern Art. The many interesting exhibitions just draw you closer and make you use you imagination when deciphering what [...]D: n/a00
- Hagia SophiaIf you are at Istanbul, you should visit the Hagia Sophia. Nowadays it´s a moslemic Moschee, but it was built as a christian church, representing the most important place for orthodoxy christs at Byzanz. [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Imbat RestaurantLocated on the rooftop of the Orient Express hotel, this Imbat Restaurant is delight. Not just because of its view of the city and the Bosporus, which is absolutely gorgeous, but their Turkish cuisine is just delicious. We had the lamb [...]D: 0.6mi01
Things about Istanbul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Do you want to eat cheap in Bielefeld? Then visit the university's restaurant. A menu costs from 3-4,50 Euro. You should use the student's mansa,...
Food: Eating Cheap in Bielefeld
If you go there by car, leave it on one of the parking lots connected to public transports, because the inner city is heavily traffic crowded.
General: Use park and ride spots
You really should try the fish meals at Galway, always fresh from the sea.
General: The well known fishermen city
Johor Baharu, Malaysia
This Restaurant Nilla is a very famous among the locals and even among tourists as this restaurant is known for its banana-lead food. Many regard...
Food: Restaurant Nilla
The Hague, Netherlands
Restaurant The Hague: Welcome Restaurant Alexander You are looking for a restaurant in The Hague, welcome at Restaurant Alexander in the...
Food: Restaurant Alexander in The Hague
If you are at Cuzco, you should definietly visit Machu Picchu, the ancient Inka fort on top of the mountain. A huge part of the houses are...
History & Culture: The ancient Inka castle on the mountain near Aguas Calientes
The Park of Rose is the most beautiful park from Timisoara, which was founded in 1891. There you can see very many different species of flowers.
Family & Fun: Roses park
Food is excellent and they have the best prices in town during happy hour, many things for $1. Unbeatable. Staff is also great, the environment...
Food: Applebee's Neighborhood Bar and Grille
This Museum is truly amazing. There are so many things to see, the museum focusing on several subjects ranging from art to history. We took part...
History & Culture: Phoenix Art Museum
We spent such a nice few hours in one of Toledo's finest diners, the Rockwell's Restaurant. Famous for their amazingly light and tasty...
Food: Rockwell's Restaurant