Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Travel tips > Europe > Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet - The Blue Mosque
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
There was some scandal, because only the Great Haram Mosque had six minarets, but the sultan solved the problem: he sent his architect to add one more minaret to the Haram Mosque. Smart guy!
The mosque got it's unofficial name (Blue Mosque) for the 20,000 blue tiles that decorate the high ceiling in the inside of it. It is a breathtaking view how the shiny tiles wave across the ceiling forming flowers, trees and other shapes.
There are also 260 windows on the mosque with beautiful (although not original) stained glass. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Daily from 9am to 6pm, except for the praying times, half an hour five times per day.
Recent travel tips for Istanbul
- Hagia SophiaIf you are at Istanbul, you should visit the Hagia Sophia. Nowadays it´s a moslemic Moschee, but it was built as a christian church, representing the most important place for orthodoxy christs at Byzanz. [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Basilica CisternJust across the street from the Blue Mosque, the Basilica Cistern is a mysterious underground place that you shouldn't miss. There are very many columns lighted from under with reddish lamps, giving the whole place a bit of Gothic and [...]D: 0.9mi00
- Istanbul Turkish Night Dinner ShowTURKISH NIGHT Dinner folk and belly dance show (Traditional music - dance evening - Istanbul) you will be picked up from your hotel and will transfer you to the showand at end of the show we will transfer you back to your hotel. Midnight [...]D: 1.7mi00
- Istanbul Archeology MuseumChristian and pagan, ancient and newer artifacts are gathered at the world's largest museum, at the Istanbul Archeology Museum. As Turkey's first museum, opened in 1891, many objects, artifacts, and artworks have been gathered to be [...]D: n/a00
- Daily Istanbul ToursOne of the highlight of our stay in Istanbul was the trip we made with the Daily Istanbul Tours. We booked for a day trip, Istanbul Two Continents Tour, which was only 65 EUR each but what we received for it was well worth the money. We [...]D: 1mi20
Things about Istanbul you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Perfect timing. Budget car rentals are often available just after peak holiday season. If you can plan your road trip away from holidays, car...
General: How to choose the perfect car rental
Apart from the great architectural heritage the city has, the Mughalai cuisine is something that one should never miss. The famous Kababs(made of...
Food: Travel tip
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Ocho Rios ( www.ocho-rios-jamaica.com ) has some of the most diverse tourist attractions. You have Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Cove, Blue Hole (this...
General: Ocho Rios Attractions
Getting to Skopje and sightseeing the city!
General: Skopje trip
The main street of the city is the most beautiful main street I have seen in Transsylvania. The buildings are constructed from the 16th to the...
Sightseeing: Main street of Sibiu
Singapore City, Singapore
This is a burger for those strict veggie eaters out there. I have not tried some myself, because me and veggies are far apart. But a close friend...
Food: The Burger for the Vegan
If you like to go shopping or watching the old souk of Hammamet, take yourself a taxi. Busses arent reliable and a Taxi isnt much expensive. While...
General: Toursit location
Hi, so there is a river that goes right near the city of Poltava, Ukraine. Our summers are really, really hot, so many people get out of the city....
Beaches : Things to do in Poltava in summer
Charlotte, North Carolina
For some brand or souvenir shopping we went to the SouthPark Mall, because we figured we could everything in one place so we wouldn't have to...
Shopping: SouthPark Mall
A really fun and entertaining location in Toledo, where kids can have the time of their lives, even in winter. The Toledo Zoo has a load of...
Family & Fun: Toledo Zoo