The Joe Lewis Arena in Detroit, Michigan
Travel tips > North America > United States > Detroit > The Joe Lewis Arena in Detroit
- Sports & Wellness travel tip
- City center
The arena was built in between 1977-1979 and was named after a heavyweight and boxer champion who grew up in the city, Joe Louis. After its opening the arena was called the ‘Joe Louis Warehouse’ but after Marian and Mike Ilitch bought the team in 1982 the building got a new look with fresh, hockey-style design. The whole arena, especially in high season, when the games or other championships are on, is a magnificent sight and an interesting attraction to see.
600 Civic Center Dr, Detroit, MI 48226, USA
Recent travel tips for Detroit
- A fountain on Belle IsleAs a big island on the Detroit River, Belle Isle has been a heavenly getaway for people who are in the middle of the city’s busy everyday life. Many see it like an oasis in the middle of a metropolitan area and are happy to finish [...]D: 2.7mi00
- Knightsbridge Antique MallThis store is one of the best places to buy antiques, souvenirs or collectibles. The staff is really friendly, they are willing to help in any way they can, and you don’t have that bad felling that you’re annoying them. For those who [...]D: 23.6mi00
- Cultural city tour in DetroitChoosing the Cultural Center tour of Preservation Wayne was a great choice for me, because this way I was able to get a bigger picture of Detroit’s cultural heritage. It is wise to arrive early and dress properly because due to space [...]D: 2.3mi00
- Motown Historical Museum in DetroitThe most amazing historical museum regarding music I’ve ever seen and experienced. The first thing our guide showed us was Berry Gordy’s house with its surrounding rooms which later was transformed into the Museum. We were explained how [...]D: 3.7mi00
- Merriot - Great place to stay in DetroitIt may be one of the most expensive hotels, but Detroit Marriot Renaissance Center is the best place where you can stay in an air-conditioned room on a hot summer day and enjoy a breathtaking view of the town. This was my first thought as [...]D: 0.8mi00
Things about Detroit you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
After eating Costa Rican food for days, you might want to change it up and head down to Jungle Love. This is one of the best restaurants in Costa...
Food: Jungle Love
Right in the heart of Hamburg's Saint Paul district lies the Reeperbahn Street, the center of the German city's nightlife. There are clubs and...
Night Life & Entertainment: Reeperbahn Street is Hamburg
If you´re interested in ancient greek culture, you shouldn´t miss the ancient city of Argos, with it´s theater, cut in the rocks and the agora.
General: The ancient city
This is a great park in the center of Athens there is a fun Park that lets you get away from the chaotic city for a while. It's good to know that...
Outdoors Activities: City Park
The best time to of the year for booking a Myanmar tours specially for an Irrawaddy cruise holiday would be during the cool and dry season when the...
Outdoors Activities: Best Time for Irrawaddy Cruise experience
According to the legend, the pagoda is 2500 years old. But archaeologists say the it was built btw. the 6th and 10th century AD. Whatever the truth...
History & Culture: Shwedagon Pagoda
Beverly Hills, California
Well, everybody knows Rodeo Drive because of Richard Gere and Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Rodeo Drive is really what is depicted in the movies,...
Shopping: Rodeo Drive
Home a wide variety of modernist and art deco collections, the Vance Kirkland Museum is a unique museum. The decoration the arrangement of the...
History & Culture: Vance Kirkland Museum
For me this bookstore is Heaven on Earth!! I always loved to read while eating a snack or drink a cup of hot chocolate and to find a place that...
Shopping: Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe
When you think of cathedrals images of beautiful, baroque or Renaissance buildings come into your mind, like the dome of Notre Dame. The Cathedral...
Sightseeing: The Cathedral of Christ the Light