A fountain on Belle Isle, Detroit, Michigan
Travel tips > North America > United States > Detroit > A fountain on Belle Isle
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
Many see it like an oasis in the middle of a metropolitan area and are happy to finish work and spend a few hours in the green, huge park, near a fountain, or walking or playing golf, perhaps going swimming on the beach.
The Isle’s main attraction is the Anna Whitecomb Conservatory, designed by Albert Kahn, which has a huge orchid collection and an amazing variety of plants. To me, however, the Scott fountain was the biggest ‘attraction’, mainly because of its history.
In the early 1900s, Detroit’s most eccentric bachelor died leaving behind a testament which shocked the whole city. The will stated that a fountain should be built on Belle Isle and next to the fountain a life-size bronze statue of himself. In order for his will to be carried out he left $500.000 to the city of Detroit which they couldn’t easily avoid. The man was James Scott and the fountain was eventually named after him. Though it has an interesting history, the fountain is truly a beautiful sight to see.
Belle Isle Park, Detroit, MI 48207, USA
Daily from 10am to 5pm.
How to get there:
East of downtown along Jefferson Ave.
Recent travel tips for Detroit
- Greektown - A Bit of Europe in DetroitI was so amazed when I went to see the famous Greektown district in downtown Detroit last summer. I would have never thought a district such as this could survive for so long. It is said that there were Germans who first established the [...]D: 1.1mi10
- The Joe Lewis Arena in DetroitThis huge arena is just on the banks of the Detroit River and until now has hosted the Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings 11 times. It is the home of the town’s hockey team they are very proud of, and additionally the area around the [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Hard Rock Cafe in DetroitI could easily say it was one of the worst nights of my life in a restaurant when I decided to go to Hard Rock Café with my friend. First, one of the employees shouted at me when I accidentally bumped into him. Then we were seated at [...]D: 1mi00
- Motown Historical Museum in DetroitThe most amazing historical museum regarding music I’ve ever seen and experienced. The first thing our guide showed us was Berry Gordy’s house with its surrounding rooms which later was transformed into the Museum. We were explained how [...]D: 3.7mi00
- Detroit Princess RiverboatThe view of the city and the river from the deck of the Detroit Princess Riverboat is beautiful and breathtaking. During the 2.5 hour trip, you can relax, eat, listen to live music and enjoy the view. What’s best that you are not obliged [...]D: 0.7mi00
Things about Detroit you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Forstau is ideal for families with small kids. There are some great skischools where you can left your kids from 10am till 3pm. They take care for...
Family & Fun: Ski Vacation with Kids
The Museum der Westküste is a fantastic little museum that you would have never expected on a little island like Föhr. The relatively new...
History & Culture: Museum der Westüste
Most German train stations have a little nasty little bar inside or right next to the station. For Stuttgart, which obviously has lots of...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar on top of the train station
If you are at Galway, should should take a boat to the Aron Islands. There are 3 islands and at least the main islands offers you a great landscape...
Outdoors Activities: Aron Islands
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
The infamous Tannery is the location where all leather is made in Morocco. There are Tanneries in many cities but the Fes Tannery is famous and you...
Atlantic City, New Jersey
You just cannot NOT love this amazing, hilarious and weird museum. So many strange exhibits, funny videos and logic-questioning displays are at the...
Family & Fun: Ripley's Museum
Though a cemetery might not seem like a great attraction you might want to visit on your holiday or business trip, the Lake View Cemetery can...
Sightseeing: Lake View Cemetery
Go place, see and absorb the culture as if it was your own
When you are in Bergün, then you can go ski-drive. There is beautiful weather.