A fountain on Belle Isle, Detroit, Michigan
Travel tips > North America > United States > Detroit > A fountain on Belle Isle
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
Many see it like an oasis in the middle of a metropolitan area and are happy to finish work and spend a few hours in the green, huge park, near a fountain, or walking or playing golf, perhaps going swimming on the beach.
The Isle’s main attraction is the Anna Whitecomb Conservatory, designed by Albert Kahn, which has a huge orchid collection and an amazing variety of plants. To me, however, the Scott fountain was the biggest ‘attraction’, mainly because of its history.
In the early 1900s, Detroit’s most eccentric bachelor died leaving behind a testament which shocked the whole city. The will stated that a fountain should be built on Belle Isle and next to the fountain a life-size bronze statue of himself. In order for his will to be carried out he left $500.000 to the city of Detroit which they couldn’t easily avoid. The man was James Scott and the fountain was eventually named after him. Though it has an interesting history, the fountain is truly a beautiful sight to see.
Belle Isle Park, Detroit, MI 48207, USA
Daily from 10am to 5pm.
How to get there:
East of downtown along Jefferson Ave.
Recent travel tips for Detroit
- Greektown - A Bit of Europe in DetroitI was so amazed when I went to see the famous Greektown district in downtown Detroit last summer. I would have never thought a district such as this could survive for so long. It is said that there were Germans who first established the [...]D: 1.1mi10
- Detroit Princess RiverboatThe view of the city and the river from the deck of the Detroit Princess Riverboat is beautiful and breathtaking. During the 2.5 hour trip, you can relax, eat, listen to live music and enjoy the view. What’s best that you are not obliged [...]D: 0.7mi00
- The Joe Lewis Arena in DetroitThis huge arena is just on the banks of the Detroit River and until now has hosted the Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings 11 times. It is the home of the town’s hockey team they are very proud of, and additionally the area around the [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Henry Ford Museum in DetroitThis museum a like a fantasy land. It is full of historical and scientific exhibitions and you don’t even know which one to go see. My first trip was to Greenfield Village which takes you back in time and offers a great tour of [...]D: 10.8mi00
- Knightsbridge Antique MallThis store is one of the best places to buy antiques, souvenirs or collectibles. The staff is really friendly, they are willing to help in any way they can, and you don’t have that bad felling that you’re annoying them. For those who [...]D: 23.6mi00
Things about Detroit you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are at Sion, you should try to visit the ancient roman building remnants, that are mainly covered by private buildings. You should also go...
Sightseeing: Roman building remnants
The best time to enjoy the fantastic beaches of the city is from December to March. Its starts raining April onwards making the sea rough.
Sightseeing: Best time to travel
The theater of the Phoenix has truly lived up to its reputation, rising from the ashes and becoming one of the prestigious opera houses in Venice....
History & Culture: Teatro La Fenice
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul's 4th largest park in the northern part of the city, Dream Forest has become a major attraction to visitors. We were so lucky that we...
Sightseeing: Seoul Dream Forest
If you are around, take yourself at least time for one day, to watch the ancient city weith it´s temple ruins and houses. But you should be there...
History & Culture: Mayan temples
Las Pinas, Philippines
MARBLES resto bar, billiards and ktv located along Alabang Zapote road has been one of Las Pinas' pioneer gimmick spots with its 11 pool tables,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar, Billiards,KTV and Live Bands
Saint Petersburg, Russia
If you are an art afficionado, you should definitely take a look at what's under the roof of the Pushkinskaya center, a place where art...
History & Culture: The Pushkinskaya 10 Art Center
Singapore City, Singapore
This place is the place to go for those who would like to go for a treasure hunt, for all types of items, as the saying “one’s man...
Shopping: Thieves Flea Market @ Sungei Road, Singapore
I have never seen a house from which only the pillars remained after it burned down. When I saw the mansion in rural Lauderdale County I was amazed...
History & Culture: Forks of Cypress, a Mysterious Plantation
Presque Isle, Maine
Maine is known as the best place for getting lobsters. Buying hard shell lobsters, in contrast to soft shell, gives you more meat for your dollar.