Cebu Sights and Landmarks Guide, Philippines
There are different traces of the Spanish occupation left in the Cebu provinces. They became the first seat of Christianity, thus opening doors to tourist attractions brought about by their very rich cultural history. There are a lot of places to choose from when you want to tour the province. Take your time to travel through the page.
The remnants of the Spanish regime brought about structures in Cebu which continuously served as tourist spots in the region. Included in these remnants are:
· Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño. This sight was built in 1565 on the exact place where the body of the Sto. Niño was found. It was rebuilt in 1602 after it was destroyed by fire in 1568. It was later on rehabilitated in 1740. The structure is found in Cebu City.
· Image of Sto. Niño. The Image of Sto Niño is considered one of the oldest relics found in the province. It was found by the soldier Juan Camus in the burnt houses from the exploration of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Miraculously, the image was unscratched. Because of this intervention, Sto. Niño was considered the patron saint of the Cebuanos.
· Magellan’s Cross. As history told it, Magellan’s wooden cross was placed along the shores of Cebu where around 800 people were baptized. It is now found in Magallanes Street, enclosed in a kiosk-like structure in order to avoid possible destruction by the townspeople.
· Chapel of the Last Supper. This chapel is found in San Jose Parish, Mandaue City. This is a one of its kind relic that epitomizes the last supper Jesus had with its apostles. It is carved in a life-size image.
The cultural heritage of Cebu has too much to offer. This is the reason why memoirs and relics are maintained in various spots in the province. Their tradition and history is preserved in various museums which include:
· Southwestern University Museum. This is found in Urgello Private Road, Cebu City. It holds the collections of the galleon trade, including lifestyle and practices of the Cebuanos in the prehistoric times. It also exhibits the rarest trade wares from porcelain to beaded accessories.
· Fort San Pedro National Museum. Found in Cebu City, the museum holds artifacts which came from the Spanish Galleon known as San Diego.
· Casa Gorordo Museum. It is located in Lopez Jaena Street. It is the home of Padre Juan Gorordo known as the First bishop in the Philippines. The museum features relics, paintings, antique household furniture and other household items.
Other local attractions in the area include the Badian and Bantayan Islands, Mactan Island, Liloan Lighthouse, and the Lapu Lapu Monument. There are a lot more to see in Cebu once you get to the island.
Cebu is also famous for its Dinagat Festival which is held every August at Cordova to portray the town’s primary livelihood which is fishing. During this festival, Cordovans would showcase their talents to represent their traditional rituals.
Things about Cebu you may be interested in1 1 1 157
1ac The server cannot find the requested page:
17 brokerage.linkadage.com a2 /engine.php?LinkUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.travelgrove.com%2Ftravel-guides%2FPhilippines%2FCebu-Sights-c1485568.html&Key=48SK-M2A6-H4EM&OpenInNewWindow=1 (port 2 80 73 )
Read our members' reviews about Cebu
No reviews have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.
Read our members' travel tips about Cebu
No travel tips have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.
- cheapoair.com$568Multiple AirlinesInbound
Vancouver, BC (YVR) → Cebu, PH (CEB)
05/19/2021 01:20 pmOutbound
Cebu, PH (CEB) → Vancouver, BC (YVR)
06/01/2021 12:15 pm
- cheapoair.com$654Eva AirInbound
San Francisco, CA (SFO) → Cebu, PH (CEB)
05/12/2021 01:00 amOutbound
Cebu, PH (CEB) → San Francisco, CA (SFO)
05/26/2021 11:05 am
- cheapoair.com$736Eva AirInbound
Seattle, WA (SEA) → Cebu, PH (CEB)
04/21/2021 01:30 amOutbound
Cebu, PH (CEB) → Seattle, WA (SEA)
05/02/2021 11:05 am