A quick stop and great food in Surat, Thailand
We left Railay Beach trying to go to Koh Tao. It would take a lot longer than we expected but we made the most of it. We took a pick up truck to the main bus station of Krabi and then left for Surathani. We found a nice little hotel and checked in took a shower and then took off for the markets. We did plan to go directly to Ko Tao but because the Speed Boats leave in the morning this was impossible. We only arrived in Surat Thani around 3pm so we could have taken the night boat at 11pm … scary! Anyhow, we visited a very nice night market with a ton of exotic food, fruits, clothes etc. We stopped first to have some Kao Kha Moo, basically cooked pork knuckles on rice, very nice. I usually cook that stuff too and it’s nice to compare and see how much better it is when you get the real thing. We also had some nice Pad Thai (Fried Noodles with Seafood) and Chicken Satay which was also nice. We tried some cooked peanuts, some weird coconut omelets and finally a typically Thai pancake with banana and chocolate.
We finished our feast with some pineapple and some durian of course. We went back to our room and played for about two hours and then went to bed.
A tiring and yet fulfilling day. After days of tourism we finally felt like finally we had arrived to a real Thai place, with the spirit that I was used to when I lived here. Things have changed a lot in Thailand since I left and I really enjoyed the experience.
Things about Surat you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
1. Aug 18, 2007 Arriving back to Bangkok (Bangkok) ( 13)
2. Aug 19, 2007 A little more of Bangkok (Bangkok) ( 31)
3. Aug 20, 2007 Still in Bangkok (Bangkok) ( 31)
4. Aug 21, 2007 Adventures in Ao Nang (Muang Krabi) ( 7)
5. Aug 22, 2007 Railay Beach - Nice Place (Ban Khlong Yang) ( 63)
6. Aug 23, 2007 The best beaches and islands of Thailand (Krabi) ( 87)
7. Aug 24, 2007 A quick stop and great food in Surat (Surat) ( 11)
8. Aug 25, 2007 Koh Tao - My favorite Thai island (Ko Phangan) ( 72)
9. Sep 4, 2007 From Koh Tao via Chumpon to Bangkok (Bangkok) ( 52)
10. Sep 5, 2007 Back again in Bangkok (Bangkok) ( 185)
11. Sep 9, 2007 Traveling to Siem Reap, Cambodia (Siem Reap)
12. Sep 10, 2007 Siem Reap, like in the tales (Siem Reap) ( 71)
13. Sep 12, 2007 Experiencing Angkor Wat (Puok) ( 204)
14. Sep 13, 2007 Great days in Phnom Penh (Phnom Penh) ( 81)
15. Sep 14, 2007 Adventurous vacation in Sianoukville (Sihanoukville) ( 39)
Start from beginning | 1 - 15 Journal overview
Recommended Thanya Buri Guide
· City pillar shrine It represents 4 gabled pavilions wherein statues and pillars of Gods Vishnu and Narai are kept. This place has beautiful enshrined in the image of Buddha. Devotees across the globe travel this place in order to offer prayers to Gods. · Wat Hong Pathummawat: this temple is situated on the western bank of river Chao Phraya. This was built by the immigrants of mon in the year. There is fish sanctuary opposite this temple that draws large number of tourists every year. · Wat Chinwararam: this ancient temple was originally called as Wat Makham Tai and is situated on the western bank of the stream Chao... Read more »
Recent reviews for Surat
A little more of Bangkok - Aug 22, 2007, by MadSuh
I didn't do a whole lot yesterday except walking around a lot. I met an interesting scotish guy who lives in Japan. We had a nice chat over dinner and then he was off to the airport. I love the fact that when you are traveling around in... Read more »
The amazing Bangkok - Dec 15, 2008, by MadSuh
One of the best places to visit. Bangkok is cultural, diverse, interesting, amazing, friendly, and really lots of fun. Make sure you stay away from the bad places though... There are beautiful sights for those who want to admire the Thai... Read more »
Back again in Bangkok - Sep 10, 2007, by MadSuh
Arriving in Bangkok felt really good, especially because our VIP 24 seat bus ride didn’t really turn out that great. I could barely sleep because we were sitting in the back and the road was quite bumpy. Anyhow, we got to our hotel... Read more »
Alle über Bangkok - Jun 27, 2009, by mary
Wo liegt Bagkok? Bangkok ist die große Hauptstadt Thailands und heißt Übersetzt „Die Stadt der Engel“. Ca. 6.859 Millionen Einwohner wohnen dort. Die Jahresdurchschnittstemperatur beträgt ca. 28, 4 Grad... Read more »
Still in Bangkok - Aug 24, 2007, by MadSuh
So I picked up my Irina and Maria at the airport and then we headed for the first culture shock. I guess we did stop at our hotel first, where we took a quick nap. I also had to run back to my old hotel where I had left my airplane tickets... Read more »
More reviews you might be interested in
Beijing reviews - China
Bird’s Nest, which is also known as the National Stadium, is one of the finest Olympics architecture. Located at the southern part of the...
About Bird's Nest Stadion, Beijing
Kilronan reviews - Ireland
The Aaron Islands consist of three separate Islands. The biggest one you should really visit. There's a smaller town at the ferry stop, where you...
Exeptional landscape in Kilronan
Sorrento reviews - Italy
Nice little city, at least when you are in the area next to the sea. Usually it's the point where a lot of tourist go to, because the cruise lines...
What to eat in Sorrento
Gilau reviews - Romania
Gilau is a tiny but really beautiful city, near Cluj Napoca. Don't miss out to visit the lake Gilau, it is amazing. If you happen to have a fishing...
Nice fishing lake in Gilau, Romania
Racatau reviews - Romania
If you wanna have a little rest in the wildness of the nature, Racatau is for you. Great forester place, with many weekend houses for rent. It is...
Back to the nature in Rucatau, Romania
Sovata reviews - Romania
The previous day we arrived to Sovata. This little city is famous because it has some very salted lakes. Two of them are opened for the people who...
Last station: Sovata and the Bear Lake
Austin reviews - Texas
Austin is a city of the Texas that possesses countless dazzling features, exciting sites to see and background to look. It is community as to...
Things to see in Austin
Las Palmas reviews - Puerto Rico
Palmas Del Mar can easily bring to you a corner of paradise. This place found in Puerto Rico is one of the most exclusive, luxurious and...
Beaches and great food in Palmas Del Mar
New York reviews - New York
New York has been a top destination for decades and it still holds the record of being one of the most visited cities in America. The amount of...
The best getaways in New York
Page reviews - Arizona
After we visited Antelope Canyon at noon, we ate something at this Mexcian place, which was really nice. Strange how we simply cannot get this sort...
Our Lake Powell trip