Jerusalem History, Israel
Situated high among the Judean Mountain, Jerusalem has been one of the most wonderful cities in the world. It presents an exclusive combination of spiritual sanctity, intriguing cultures and amazing history. Being the holy site for Jewish, Christian as well as Muslim religions, it plays a significant role in the world’s history. Two major Jewish temples have been built in this city, it has been the city in which Jesus was killed and resurrected and it is the city from where Mohammad had made his rise to heaven.
The history of Jerusalem stretches back 5000 years.
· Around 2500 BC, the city had been inhabited by the Canaanites.
· It was captured by King David in the 1000 BC and was made capital of the kingdom. After that, King Solomon made the first temple to host the Ark of Covenant.
· Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylonia, led his military army into the city of Jerusalem and captured it during 597 BC. He deported a large number of Jews and also razed this city to ground.
· In 537 BC, Cyrus of Persia allowed the Jews to rebuild the temple and return to the city.
· The city was occupied by Persia until 333 BC after which Alexander added the city of Palestine to his empire. He also introduced the Greek ideals and culture and forced Hellenism upon the Jewish people.
· In 167 BC, the Jewish people rose up behind Mattathias and fought for liberation. 3 years later, the Maccabees eliberated the city from Greeks and the temple was purified. This celebration led to the Chanukah Holiday.
· IN 63 BC, the Romans invaded the city and set up a local dynasty for ruling Palestine. It was during the kingdom of Pontius Pilate, the roman governor, that Jesus Christ was executed in the city.
· A main Jewish revolt led to the ruin of second temple during 70 AD and once again, the Jewish people were banished from the city. The city then continued to grow under Byzantine and Roman rule and it developed as a main centre for Christian pilgrimage. Later, the Muslims captured the city until 1517 when it came under the Ottoman Empire.
· The British captured the city during 1917 and in 1948, it was divided into Israel and Jordan.
· During a 6-day war in 1967, the Jordanian people were pushed eastwards and the city got untied under the rule of Israel.
At present, it has become a bustling and diverse city and most of the government offices and Israeli parliament house are present here.
Things about Jerusalem you may be interested in1 1 1 157
1ac The server cannot find the requested page:
17 brokerage.linkadage.com a2 /engine.php?LinkUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.travelgrove.com%2Ftravel-guides%2FIsrael%2FJerusalem-History-c862853.html&Key=48SK-M2A6-H4EM&OpenInNewWindow=1 (port 2 80 73 )
Read our members' reviews about Jerusalem
No reviews have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.
Read our members' travel tips about Jerusalem
No travel tips have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.