Pangkor Island, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Travel tips > Asia > Malaysia > Kuala Lumpur > Pangkor Island
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The Dutch were invited to the tin rich state of Perak as a deterrent to the ambitious Ayudha ruler and Thai invasion. They remained in Pangkor Island (Pulau Pangkor) until the threat from the Thais diminished whereupon Perak once more asserted its independence. The Dutch monopolised the tin industry until the arrival of the British. During their tenure on this island and due to the opposition by the locals, a fort was built by the Dutch 1670, at the entrance of Tiger Rock. With the arrival of the British in 1800 the island was renamed to Pulau Kera (Monkey Island) . This was due to the abundance of monkeys on the island. The islanders opposed this name. The British were pressured by the village Headman Penghulu Mohd. Noordin b. Mastan to rename it Pulau Aman (Peaceful Island). It was named Pangkor soon after. One famous treaty signed on Pangkor Island (Pulau Pangkor), known as The Pangkor Treaty was signed in 1874 between Sir Andrew Clark, principle Perak chiefts & Chinese headmen agreed on the acceptance of the 1st British Resident.
Recent travel tips for Kuala Lumpur
- Petaling StreetThe whole street look like the a shopping paradise, though you have to be aware, that many of the products are fake or brought into the country illegally. In any case, Petaling Street has everything to offer from watches through [...]D: 2mi00
- Restoran Baru LeeThis restaurant is particularly well known for its fish paste. There are many kinds of dishes that are served in its fish paste. Some of these foods include steamed fish balls, fish cakes, fish noodle served in the fish paste. This is a [...]D: 1.8mi00
- Cosmo's World Theme ParkDivided into two areas, Cosmo's World Theme Park is the major attraction for visitors and locals with children. It has at least 14 rides featuring different themes and of course heights. They are highly popular among youngsters. [...]D: 1.8mi00
- Sri Mahamariamman TempleA beautifully ornate shrine in South-Indian style, the Sri Mahamariamman Temple is located in Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown and has a history of at least 130 years. At the entrance of the temple there is a big, wonderful gate-tower reaching [...]D: 4.5mi00
- Kuala Lumpur Central MarketFor souvenirs, artwork or crafts of local tradition you definitely have to go to the Central Market. Their shops range from the gifts and souvenirs to clothes and accessories to home decor. It is like a shopping wonderland where the [...]D: 1.4mi00
Things about Kuala Lumpur you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
When you think about China and gardens in the same sentence, the word that comes to mind is 'transquility'. But if that's what you...
Outdoors Activities: Yu Yuan Gardens in Shanghai
Visit the museum of the district of Koblenz. Showing you a wide variety in history.
Sightseeing: Local museum
This is one of the typical windmills found in Northern Germany as well as all over Holland, Denmark and generally all of the Northern German states...
Sightseeing: Wrixum Wind Mill
This 5 star restaurant is the best restaurant in Toledo. The restaurant is located in one of the old arab houses from the 17th century. Locum in...
Food: Restaurant Locum
If you intend to go there, check the availability of buses and train, together with it´s schedules. Otherwise it happens, like at a lot of other...
Public Transportation: If you don't want to get lost
Whitsunday Islands situated Queensland Capital at Australia. Whitsunday Island can divide into four groups like Northern, Lindeman, The...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia, was built in 1447 from an ancient votive chapel, within a single day. This should give saefty...
General: The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia
This museum a like a fantasy land. It is full of historical and scientific exhibitions and you don’t even know which one to go see. My first...
History & Culture: Henry Ford Museum in Detroit
Fort Collins, Colorado
Really good coffee: Moxie Java on Harmony. Not the best location, but great flavor and friendly baristas.
Food: My favorite coffee
San Francisco, California
Sutro Baths is at the north west corner of the city next to the Cliff House. The baths, which are now ruins, was a popular swimming pool that...
Outdoors Activities: Sutro Baths