Pangkor Island, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Travel tips > Asia > Malaysia > Kuala Lumpur > Pangkor Island
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
The Dutch were invited to the tin rich state of Perak as a deterrent to the ambitious Ayudha ruler and Thai invasion. They remained in Pangkor Island (Pulau Pangkor) until the threat from the Thais diminished whereupon Perak once more asserted its independence. The Dutch monopolised the tin industry until the arrival of the British. During their tenure on this island and due to the opposition by the locals, a fort was built by the Dutch 1670, at the entrance of Tiger Rock. With the arrival of the British in 1800 the island was renamed to Pulau Kera (Monkey Island) . This was due to the abundance of monkeys on the island. The islanders opposed this name. The British were pressured by the village Headman Penghulu Mohd. Noordin b. Mastan to rename it Pulau Aman (Peaceful Island). It was named Pangkor soon after. One famous treaty signed on Pangkor Island (Pulau Pangkor), known as The Pangkor Treaty was signed in 1874 between Sir Andrew Clark, principle Perak chiefts & Chinese headmen agreed on the acceptance of the 1st British Resident.
Recent travel tips for Kuala Lumpur
- Moussandra Mediterranean food.Moussandra Mediterranean and Tapas Restaurant is a great place that sells authentic Greek, Spanish and Italian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur. This is a great place to dine in should you want to try great Greek, Spanish and Italian food here in [...]D: 2.1mi00
- Petronas Twin TowersWith a height of 1483 feet and 88 stories, the Petronas Twin Towers is one of the tallest buildings in the world. An air-bridge connects the towers between the 41st and 42nd floor. You are allowed to go up the air-bridge in daytime, except [...]D: n/a00
- National Mosque (Masjid Negara)Malaysia's most prominent building, the National Mosque was built in 1965 and embodies modern and Islamic art. The admission to the mosque is free, though you have to be dressed appropriately. Because I'm a woman I had to cover my [...]D: 1.6mi00
- Restoran Kim Lian Kee (Hokkien Noodle)This restaurant known as the Restoran Kim Lian Kee is very famous in Kuala Lumpur not just among the locals but also tourists from tourists around the world. This is because it is believed to sell one of the best Hokkien noodle. Hokkien [...]D: 1.5mi00
- Yut Kee RestaurantThe pork rolls were the most delicious in the Yut Kee Restaurant the one afternoon we explored the backstreets of Kuala Lumpur and came upon this small 'coffeehouse' that is managed by the third generation now. They offer fantastic [...]D: 0.7mi00
Things about Kuala Lumpur you may be interested in
Kuala Lumpur Sights· Petronas Twin Towers -along Kuala Lumpur City Center or KLCC. At the heart of the business area, the twin glass towers give you a dizzying image and architectural achievement. The Petronas Twin Towers, truly stunning when lighted at night, were the tallest buildings in the world until the Taipei 101 Tower was built in 2004. These towers stand roughly 1,500 feet tall with its 88 stories. A [...]
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are traveling close to this city, take a break and visit the abbey here. You can go in only with guided tours which are organized only twice...
General: The abbey in Melk
The building of the Step Pyramid of Djoser was a very important moment in the Egyptian Architecture for it was the first stone pyramid built in...
History & Culture: Pyramid of Djoser
Sign up for free guest lists at all the nigh clubs in Valencia while contributing to charity at https://xceed.me/events/valencia
Night Life & Entertainment: Free entry to night clubs
Verne was born in Nantes and the Museum was opened for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his birth. It's a great place for everyone who...
History & Culture: Jules Verne Museum
London, United Kingdom
If you are in London and want to look around, don't take tourist buses. They are expensive, 29 Pounds, and if you stay downstairs, you can't see a...
Public Transportation: Don't take the buses
Boca Raton, Florida
Town Center: Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Macy's.
Shopping: BEST SHOPPING
Charleston, West Virginia
For a peaceful but also an entertaining retreat from the city, Cato Park is the best place to go. It not only includes picnic areas but a huge golf...
Outdoors Activities: A Walk in Cato Park
Fort Collins, Colorado
Really good coffee: Moxie Java on Harmony. Not the best location, but great flavor and friendly baristas.
Food: My favorite coffee
When you are in Bergün, then you can go ski-drive. There is beautiful weather.
If you want to go skiing for a day in Austria, use the city as a starting point to go to the different skiing areas.
General: Skiing for a day