Melbourne Sights and Landmarks Guide, Australia
Melbourne, the biggest city in Australia, is a place where anyone can enjoy. People from all walks of life - young and old, seeking for fun or knowledge - will surely find a suitable spot in the city. The city takes pride in its historical, cultural, leisure and recreation sightsHistorical and Cultural Sights
Tourists can have a tour around the city and learn about the history and culture of Melbourne as well as Australia. It is gifted with scenic views where travelers could learn about what the city has to say. Here are some of the samples:· City Museum at Old Treasury. This building was constructed in 1857 with a neoclassical facade. The exhibits show tale of the city. One of the most renowned exhibits is “Making Melbourne” which describes the history of Melbourne. Another is “Built on Gold” which tells a story about the development of the city with the help of the gold rushes.
· National Gallery of Victoria. This recently built gallery has an anthology of international art which is considered the finest collection in the country. Some of the works displayed here are pieces by Bonnard, Monet, Rembrandt, and Delacroix.
· Melbourne Museum. This is the largest museum in Australia. The real skeleton of a blue whale will catch the eyes of any visitor. But there is more to that. The museum has an indoor rainforest, and a display of insect and butterfly collections-some of which are real-life. The museum also has interactive exhibits.
· Old Melbourne Gaol. This place was formerly a prison cell. The exhibits are collections of artifacts and death masks from the 19th century. These show the life in prison. Tours are done at night wherein profiles of some of its prisoners are recounted. The tour can be unnerving so children under 12 are not allowed.Leisure and Recreation Sights
Melbourne has a lot of sites where you can have fun and be entertained to your heart’s desire. With these options, you will truly have a fascinating time. Take a peek at some of this type of travel destinations.
· Melbourne Aquarium. This leisure site has three levels. It displays a Barrier Reef-style exhibit. It also has a large walk-through tank that is filled with large fish, manta rays and sharks.
· Queen Victoria Market. This is the largest open-air market in the Southern Hemisphere. It extends to quite a lot of blocks and has hundreds of stalls. Disregarding the crowd, people can have a feel of the ethnic blend of Melbourne.
· Melbourne Zoo. This is the oldest zoo in the world. It houses more than 3,000 animals. Animals are taken care of in natural environment and well-tended gardens instead of cages. The zoo has a butterfly house and free-flight aviary. It also has lowland gorilla exhibit and treetop orangutan exhibit.
Melbourne is a place raised by tradition and heritage. With these known facts in history, it has transcended to one of modern day’s important cities in the world. Have delight while you take a tour around this city.
Things about Melbourne you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
Read our members' reviews about Melbourne
No reviews have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.
Read our members' travel tips about Melbourne
No travel tips have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.
- flyfar.ca$890Japan AirlinesInbound
San Francisco, CA (SFO) → Melbourne, AU (MEL)
07/29/2020 01:50 pmOutbound
Melbourne, AU (MEL) → San Francisco, CA (SFO)
08/03/2020 12:05 am
- flyfar.ca$982All Nippon AirwaysInbound
New York, NY (JFK) → Melbourne, AU (MEL)
08/05/2020 06:15 pmOutbound
Melbourne, AU (MEL) → New York, NY (JFK)
08/20/2020 06:00 pm
- flyfar.ca$989Multiple AirlinesInbound
Oakland, CA (OAK) → Melbourne, AU (MEL)
08/01/2020 08:00 amOutbound
Melbourne, AU (MEL) → Oakland, CA (OAK)
08/07/2020 04:45 pm