The Rotunda, Thessaloniki, Greece
Travel tips > Europe > Greece > Thessaloniki > The Rotunda
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It is the oldest building in Thessaloniki, built in the 4th century AD by the persecutor (of Christians) Roman emperor, Galerius.
It is a round building with a minaret attached to it - a very nice one, I would recommend you to climb the stairs, the view is amazing from there.
In the interior there are beautiful Byzantine mosaics, or at least it's remainings. Once it features the Second Coming of Christ. The larger parts which remained intact by the earthquakes of the centuries look wonderful. There are also frescoes and other pictures on the walls, some from the later ages.
The garden is also rich in Jewish and Byzantine artifacts, these also worth a visit with a camera!
Ayios Yioryos Sq.
Every day from 8:30 to 15:00.
Recent travel tips for Greece
- Guard change attraction at the ParliamentIf you are in Athens and you have a little time, go to the Parliament and watch the guard change. This happens in every hour if I remember well. [...]D: 0.3mi00
- TravelingIf you are at this city, and you plan to go in the south, check the actual time schedules of the train and bus, if you want to use it. [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Sleep inside the cavesSleep inside the caves if you get a chance, it's awesome to go asleep with the water right below you :) Don't get caught though [...]D: n/a10
- Reaching other cities from GythionIf you want to reach other cities from there, go to the main bus station in the city center, directly adjacent to the harbour. [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Rion beachDon't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap. [...]D: 0.7mi00
Things about Thessaloniki you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
In Ulm there is a big shop for furniture called 'IKEA'. You can find there basically everything you would need. If you know IKEA, especially if...
General: IKEA - shop for furniture
If you go to Ruffenhofen, you should have your own car, because public transport is very weak there.
Public Transportation: Use your car
Avebury, United Kingdom
This village, Avebury is located in Wiltshire, in southern England. Here you can find the largest neolithic stone circle in England constructed...
Outdoors Activities: Avebury Henge
Islands shouldn't be missed for a Croatian experience. Some information about Island Rab at http://www.rabholidays.com
General: Islands of the Adriatic sea
Near the river Pushpavati, there is an artistic legacy standing as Modhera Sun Temple. What carving, what detailing!!! The most amazing thing is...
General: Modhera Sun Temple
If you are around, take yourself at least time for one day, to watch the ancient city weith it´s temple ruins and houses. But you should be there...
History & Culture: Mayan temples
H sgfdshgdh gfsd gfdhgdh df sgh tg hhgfhdggd hggd gd
Food: Test dfs gdf gdfsgdfsg g fdsg
Lilla Torg is Malmo's nicest square. It is part of the old downtown and there are a lot of great pubs and restaurants there. All the buildings...
Night Life & Entertainment: Lilla Torg
Though it is a really small place with a long line always at its entrance, the wait sooo worth it, because you will never find a place where...
Food: La Bonne Soupe Cafe
Are you interested on horse riding? Check 'Reiterhof Weissenhof'. It's ideal for kids, they offer lessons for kids and adults. It's ideal during a...
General: Horse Riding in Radstadt