The Rotunda, Thessaloniki, Greece
Travel tips > Europe > Greece > Thessaloniki > The Rotunda
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It is the oldest building in Thessaloniki, built in the 4th century AD by the persecutor (of Christians) Roman emperor, Galerius.
It is a round building with a minaret attached to it - a very nice one, I would recommend you to climb the stairs, the view is amazing from there.
In the interior there are beautiful Byzantine mosaics, or at least it's remainings. Once it features the Second Coming of Christ. The larger parts which remained intact by the earthquakes of the centuries look wonderful. There are also frescoes and other pictures on the walls, some from the later ages.
The garden is also rich in Jewish and Byzantine artifacts, these also worth a visit with a camera!
Ayios Yioryos Sq.
Every day from 8:30 to 15:00.
Recent travel tips for Greece
- Sleep inside the cavesSleep inside the caves if you get a chance, it's awesome to go asleep with the water right below you :) Don't get caught though [...]D: n/a10
- TravelingIf you are at this city, and you plan to go in the south, check the actual time schedules of the train and bus, if you want to use it. [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Icon workshop in KalambakaThere is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy icons or other souvenirs here. [...]D: n/a00
- Litochoro - a place you should see!If you go to the Olymp mountain you have to stop here! This is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen! On one side you see the sea on the other the mountains... it's amazing. There is a church in the city center which worth [...]D: 0.3mi10
- FortressVisit the local fortress, reinforced under the venetians and still preserved in a good way. [...]D: 0.5mi00
Things about Thessaloniki you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The view from Belfort Tower over this marvelous medieval city is something you don't want to miss. The 366 steps of this 83 meters tower are worth...
Sightseeing: Belfort Tower (Belfry of Bruges)
When going to this place make sure you stay at a 4star,you will enjoy your holiday better.
If you want to spend the night at a cool location in Augsburg, where good music is played, you have to visit the 'Mahagoni Bar'. There is even a...
Night Life & Entertainment: Mahagoni Bar
Great for a day trip starting from Dresden
History & Culture: Medieval Silver Mining Town
If you spend some time in Barcelona, you can take a one day trip to the nearby Montserrat Shrine. The monastery is one of the most popular sites...
Outdoors Activities: Montserrat Shrine
The all-inclusive Rajasthan Tours are a vast option for those travelers who not only crave to trip spectacular places but as well learn the history...
History & Culture: Remarkable Rajasthan Tours with Majestic Stay at Jaipur Hotels
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Ocho Rios ( www.ocho-rios-jamaica.com ) has some of the most diverse tourist attractions. You have Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Cove, Blue Hole (this...
General: Ocho Rios Attractions
If you arrive in Zalau you should visit Sfanta Vineri Cathedral wich is the 3rd largest cathedral in the Estern Europe.
General: Sfanta Vineri Cathedral
Serangoon Garden Estate, Singapore
Time in a bottle is one of the many bars that is located along Serangoon garden estate. It is a very popular bar among the locals and among the...
Night Life & Entertainment: Time in a bottle (Bar)
At preferred-limousine.com, get the wonderful experience of Transportation Services with our top-quality Private Car Service & Town Car Service in...
Public Transportation: Preferred Limousine