The Rotunda, Thessaloniki, Greece
Travel tips > Europe > Greece > Thessaloniki > The Rotunda
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It is the oldest building in Thessaloniki, built in the 4th century AD by the persecutor (of Christians) Roman emperor, Galerius.
It is a round building with a minaret attached to it - a very nice one, I would recommend you to climb the stairs, the view is amazing from there.
In the interior there are beautiful Byzantine mosaics, or at least it's remainings. Once it features the Second Coming of Christ. The larger parts which remained intact by the earthquakes of the centuries look wonderful. There are also frescoes and other pictures on the walls, some from the later ages.
The garden is also rich in Jewish and Byzantine artifacts, these also worth a visit with a camera!
Ayios Yioryos Sq.
Every day from 8:30 to 15:00.
Recent travel tips for Greece
- Cheap supermarket near ParaliaIf you want to buy some food but you don't want to pay as much as you would have to in Paralia, I suggest you to try that small supermarket we used to deal at. We found it by mistake when we drove back from Katerini to Paralia. It is [...]D: n/a00
- Sleep inside the cavesSleep inside the caves if you get a chance, it's awesome to go asleep with the water right below you :) Don't get caught though [...]D: n/a10
- If you don't want to get lostIf you intend to go there, check the availability of buses and train, together with it´s schedules. Otherwise it happens, like at a lot of other small Greek villages, that you´re stuck in the 'desert'. [...]D: 24.4mi00
- Dont talk to guys standing in front of restaurantsDont let yourself be torned in a restaurant by these guys, standing in front of restaurants. If you start to talk to them, you wont be able to get rid of them again. Just take yourself a look at the restaurant you want to go to. [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Check the bus and train schedulesIf you want to go to Dhelfoi, and you´ve got no car, check the bus and train schedules, otherwise you can suddenly be stuck for hours in the middle of nowhere! [...]D: n/a00
Things about Thessaloniki you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Take a look at the new roman museum, located at the edge of Rheinbrohl. It shows history also for children, who are able to touch certain things or...
Sightseeing: Roman museum
If you want to make an funny shortsightseeing through the town, take the monorail of Wuppertal. The first Monorail of germany. There can also...
General: The monorail of Wuppertal
If you are at Avignon, take a look at the medieval pope's palace. It's huge and directly in the center of the city. You can get guided tours for a...
Sightseeing: The medieval pope's palace
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
New Delhi, India
There is truly no place like home, but at Rama Inn, it is our aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible.
Sightseeing: Hotel Rama Inn
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nom banh chok Also called 'Khmer noodles,' the nom banh chok is a popular breakfast. It consists of rice noodles topped with tender green beans,...
General: Guide to Cambodian bizarre foods
Mexico City, Mexico
Templo Mayor is an Aztec temple built in the 14th century for the worship of the Aztec god of war and that of the water. It was discovered in the...
History & Culture: Templo Mayor
Baile Felix, Romania
One of the main points of atractions in Baile Felix is the Nenuphar Lake wich is a natural reservation and wich hosts 3 species of nenuphars.
General: Nenuphar Lake - Lotus
Brukenthal Museum was founded by Joseph Bruckenthal, the governor of the city during the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The museum has more buildings,...
History & Culture: Brukenthal Museum
If you want to see Orlando's rich history and culture, check out Florida Cultural Tours in Orlando. They pick you up in the I-Drive area and they...
General: Travel tip