The Rotunda, Thessaloniki, Greece
Travel tips > Europe > Greece > Thessaloniki > The Rotunda
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It is the oldest building in Thessaloniki, built in the 4th century AD by the persecutor (of Christians) Roman emperor, Galerius.
It is a round building with a minaret attached to it - a very nice one, I would recommend you to climb the stairs, the view is amazing from there.
In the interior there are beautiful Byzantine mosaics, or at least it's remainings. Once it features the Second Coming of Christ. The larger parts which remained intact by the earthquakes of the centuries look wonderful. There are also frescoes and other pictures on the walls, some from the later ages.
The garden is also rich in Jewish and Byzantine artifacts, these also worth a visit with a camera!
Ayios Yioryos Sq.
Every day from 8:30 to 15:00.
Recent travel tips for Greece
- The temple of ApolloYou really shouldn´t miss the area of the ancient Corinthos with the remnants of the temple of Apollo and the great agora of the city. [...]D: n/a00
- Insland of Santorini/ThiraIf you do something like island hoping or if you just make a stop during your travel to Crete at Santorini, you have got to climb up the hills and watch the landscape , especially the coastal cliff way from Fira to Oia. There are also [...]D: 177mi00
- Check the bus and train schedulesIf you want to go to Dhelfoi, and you´ve got no car, check the bus and train schedules, otherwise you can suddenly be stuck for hours in the middle of nowhere! [...]D: n/a00
- Dont talk to guys standing in front of restaurantsDont let yourself be torned in a restaurant by these guys, standing in front of restaurants. If you start to talk to them, you wont be able to get rid of them again. Just take yourself a look at the restaurant you want to go to. [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Reaching other cities from GythionIf you want to reach other cities from there, go to the main bus station in the city center, directly adjacent to the harbour. [...]D: 0.3mi00
Things about Thessaloniki you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Vancouver, British Columbia
Definitely the best sushi restaurant in the city. Though the whole place doesn't look so modern, the food is just excellent. We had some...
Food: Samurai Sushi House in Vancouver
I WAS THERE 5 YEARS AGO, THE PEOPLE IS VERY FRIENDLY, THEY MAKE YOU PART OF THEIR FAMILY, IS SO HARD TO FORGET PEOPLE LIKE THEM
General: FRIENDLY PEOPLE
Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
(_) (_) /_ _______/
Outdoors Activities: Rostyslav
Every year from 6th of july till 14th of july. There the patron of Pamplona is carried throught the streets on a procession. Also interesting but...
Outdoors Activities: Feria di San fermin
A new shopping mall, called Forum, opened close to the city center. It's a place where you really can spend a whole day :) And if you get bored,...
Shopping: The Forum and the Debrecen Plaza malls
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
Las Pinas, Philippines
MARBLES resto bar, billiards and ktv located along Alabang Zapote road has been one of Las Pinas' pioneer gimmick spots with its 11 pool tables,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar, Billiards,KTV and Live Bands
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
I am a good man with fear of God in life .
History & Culture: Be good to others
Manhattan Beach, California
When you're in Manhattan Beach, make sure you go down to the pier and walk all the way to Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach and back. It's just a...
General: Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach