Alamo Square, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Alamo Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
One especially beautiful view is towards Steiner street, with the famous houses, the 'painted ladies'. They are also called the Victorian houses, but only because of the age they were built in, not because of the style.
You van see pictures on these beautifully designed houses (painted spades shape, hearts or bottles) that used to indicate that the houses were places for gambling, taverns or brothels. Nice! :)
Don't miss the Shoe Garden on Alamo Square. Go prepared, bring an old shoe, put some earth and a plant and put add the plant on the shoe to the collection of the garden. ;) It's a lot of fun.
Both the watching and the planting are free.
All day, but the best is in daylight.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- Stow LakeHidden within Golden Gate Park is a lake and a mountainous island. Stow Lake which has deep San Francisco history is a great spot for a picnic or an afternoon stroll. The lake offers quiet scenery and abundant wildlife. The [...]D: 9.5mi00
- City Beer StoreHere is a great news for beer lovers in San Francisco. City Beer Store is a fabulous little place with an extremely wide selection of beers. It is not easy to chose from the more than 300 types of beers, but you can take your time, you [...]D: 9mi00
- Dolores Park Movie NightOn Thursday night’s throughout the summer, there is a free movie shown in Dolores Park. Don’t expect your typical quiet theater atmosphere. It’s more like a party at Dolores Park. There are no assigned seats and [...]D: 8mi00
- BacarCan you imagine 1400 kinds of wine in one place? I couldn't, but there it is. Very nice place indeed, not only because of its wide collection of the best wines. The decoration and furniture is also very stylish and elegant, you will be [...]D: 9.3mi00
- Fly in Business Class Together & Save 50% Asiana Business...Asia comprises of some of the largest global cities of the world. Prominent names in the list include Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul and Manila and so on. Innumerable global travelers visit these Asian cities from various parts of the [...]D: n/a00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The New Sofia Pub Crawl is the night walk around Sofia’s hidden and unique bars. This event is not for those looking for loud and smoky rooms;...
Night Life & Entertainment: The New Sofia Pub Crawl
Brewery restaurant Teerenpeli is a great place for drink in Lahti. They brew their on beer and cider. Teerenpeli is also one of the...
Food: Teerenpeli - Best place for a pint
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
If you go to Dublin, be prepared that the weather is not a certain thing there - it's the same in the whole country. An Irish saying tells that 'if...
General: The weather
The Kilkenny Castle was built in the 12th century. It is definitely a must see, if you are in the area. It was renovated in the 19th century and...
History & Culture: Kilkenny Castle
Touring or just exploring the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden could easily take up your whole day. It is a fun, entertaining and educational...
Family & Fun: Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
A museum dedicated to Native Americans, their culture, life, future and art. It has some interactive exhibitions, where kids can take home useful...
History & Culture: Heard Museum in Phoenix
This garden is a must see for anyone who's visiting Portland, especially of you have a fondness for roses. It is the oldest official,...
Outdoors Activities: International Rose Test Garden
Saint Louis, Missouri
There are so many amenities and facilities that are located in the heart of Saint Louis, in Forest Park that a whole day would not be enough to see...
Outdoors Activities: Forest Park
What can I say? Chamonix it's great, from the center of the town you can see the heights peak in Eastern Europe, Mont Blanc 4807m. There are many,...
Outdoors Activities: The capital of climbing