Alamo Square, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Alamo Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
One especially beautiful view is towards Steiner street, with the famous houses, the 'painted ladies'. They are also called the Victorian houses, but only because of the age they were built in, not because of the style.
You van see pictures on these beautifully designed houses (painted spades shape, hearts or bottles) that used to indicate that the houses were places for gambling, taverns or brothels. Nice! :)
Don't miss the Shoe Garden on Alamo Square. Go prepared, bring an old shoe, put some earth and a plant and put add the plant on the shoe to the collection of the garden. ;) It's a lot of fun.
Both the watching and the planting are free.
All day, but the best is in daylight.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- San Francisco Marriot Fisherman' s Wharf HotelBecause this hotel is near the piers and the Golden Gate Bridge (one of the famous sights in San Francisco), the price is a little expensive. I picked the regular room with pleasure purpose, and it cost $169 per night. It is pretty [...]D: 11.1mi02
- Coit TowerThe most amazing sight I've ever seen. The Coit Tower, built in 1933 in memory of an eccentric rich lady, Lillie Hitchcock Coit (who left all her money to this tower) and the brave firemen of the city, is a tall white marble tower which [...]D: 10.9mi00
- Cafe Du SoleilThe best thing is that you can sit on the terrace and enjoy both the sun and one of the best places for a breakfast. They have good coffee and delicious cakes. You can stay on the sun and have your breakfast and also have a break from [...]D: 8.8mi00
- City Beer StoreHere is a great news for beer lovers in San Francisco. City Beer Store is a fabulous little place with an extremely wide selection of beers. It is not easy to chose from the more than 300 types of beers, but you can take your time, you [...]D: 9mi00
- Alcatraz IslandProbably one of the most famous jails in the world and home to many myths and movies, this used to be a high security federal prison in 1934. Originally the Island was home to many pelicans and for that reason it was called "Isla de los [...]D: 11mi10
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Good food, live music, fantastic view - this place is just perfect to spend the perfect evening, listening live music, have the best swiss food...
Food: hotel Restaurant Alpha-Thun
This incredible little town is located on the edge of Basque Country at the entry point to the region of La Rioja. The unique thing about this town...
Sightseeing: Town of Laguardia
There are more than 200 vehicles exposed in this wonderful museum. It is ran by a pocketful of car collectors and displays vehicles from 1908 to...
History & Culture: Automobile Museum
Travel in Nuuk is rather difficult since there are only 4 taxis and you need some strong political influence to get a cab. The taxis cots a flat...
General: How to travel in Nuuk, a big tip
Mali Ston, Croatia
The second longest wall still standing in Europe (about 5 km and 3 miles long) after Hadrian's Wall between Scotland and England. The wall goes...
Sightseeing: Ston Wall
The Hague, Netherlands
Restaurant The Hague: Welcome Restaurant Alexander You are looking for a restaurant in The Hague, welcome at Restaurant Alexander in the...
Food: Restaurant Alexander in The Hague
In the cave the temperature is about 7 Celsius, wear tick clothes
General: Wear tick clothes
If you like to go shopping or watching the old souk of Hammamet, take yourself a taxi. Busses arent reliable and a Taxi isnt much expensive. While...
General: Toursit location
Saint Louis, Missouri
Anyone who loves beer should go to one of the Anheuser Busch Brewery Tour. There is a complimentary tour, which is shorter and free, plus free beer...
Family & Fun: Anheuser Busch Brewery Tour
What can I say? Chamonix it's great, from the center of the town you can see the heights peak in Eastern Europe, Mont Blanc 4807m. There are many,...
Outdoors Activities: The capital of climbing