Alamo Square, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Alamo Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
One especially beautiful view is towards Steiner street, with the famous houses, the 'painted ladies'. They are also called the Victorian houses, but only because of the age they were built in, not because of the style.
You van see pictures on these beautifully designed houses (painted spades shape, hearts or bottles) that used to indicate that the houses were places for gambling, taverns or brothels. Nice! :)
Don't miss the Shoe Garden on Alamo Square. Go prepared, bring an old shoe, put some earth and a plant and put add the plant on the shoe to the collection of the garden. ;) It's a lot of fun.
Both the watching and the planting are free.
All day, but the best is in daylight.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- Golden Gate BridgeWell, I guess this is something pretty obvious, but then I guess it's a valid tip. Go visit the Golden gate bridge. Try to come during the late afternoon and maybe wait for sunset, that will make some awesome pictures. [...]D: 12.5mi00
- Stow LakeHidden within Golden Gate Park is a lake and a mountainous island. Stow Lake which has deep San Francisco history is a great spot for a picnic or an afternoon stroll. The lake offers quiet scenery and abundant wildlife. The [...]D: 9.5mi00
- Fly in Business Class Together & Save 50% Asiana Business...Asia comprises of some of the largest global cities of the world. Prominent names in the list include Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul and Manila and so on. Innumerable global travelers visit these Asian cities from various parts of the [...]D: n/a00
- Coit TowerThe most amazing sight I've ever seen. The Coit Tower, built in 1933 in memory of an eccentric rich lady, Lillie Hitchcock Coit (who left all her money to this tower) and the brave firemen of the city, is a tall white marble tower which [...]D: 10.9mi00
- Balmy Street MuralsLocated in the heart of the latino district of San Francisco is a little gem of a street where the houses are painted with latin-american centric murals. These murals, which are painted on the garages, each have some sort of meaning and [...]D: 7.4mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The Royal Palace used to be the residence of the Spanish kings and queens. Now it is only used for official ceremonies and when foreign diplomats...
History & Culture: Royal Palace
Muckross Estate is something you must see if you are in Killarney, although it is out of the city, some 2-3 miles from the city center. Take a tour...
History & Culture: Muckross Estate
Want something that combines traditionalism and modernism? Why don’t you try a local pizza? The best traditional pizza (ok, I admit, the only one...
Food: Local Pizza (so tasty)
Hi, Phuket is a very beautiful country. It has a number of beautiful places to visit.The atmosphere here is very healthy. Here you can a find all...
Sightseeing: Reasonable price transfer service in and around thailand
The Zilker Botanical Garden is an amazing place in the city, it has also been called "the jewel in the heart of Austin" and with reason,...
Sightseeing: Zilker Botanical Garden
Kids love zoos so it was understandable that we would visit the zoo in Cleveland too. We had a great time. Though reasonably big, you get a pretty...
Family & Fun: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
For a little bit of Asian feeling and some Thai food you should definitely visit the Green Papaya Restaurant in North Jacksonville. They serve...
Food: Green Papaya Restaurant
Zuma Beach is just great. Though, you have to get there early if you want to get a parking place, traffic is killing sometimes. Zuma by the way...
Beaches : Zuma Beach
Though called old town, Scottsdale's Old Town is actually not so old, only a bit more than 50, and still when you walk down the streets you feel...
Sightseeing: Scottsdale Old Town and Art District near Phoenix
The Maize at The Pumpkin Patch is a giant maze of corn, open only during the autumn season. This park takes the form of a 5-acre field of corn...
Outdoors Activities: The Maize at The Pumpkin Patch