Alamo Square, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Alamo Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
One especially beautiful view is towards Steiner street, with the famous houses, the 'painted ladies'. They are also called the Victorian houses, but only because of the age they were built in, not because of the style.
You van see pictures on these beautifully designed houses (painted spades shape, hearts or bottles) that used to indicate that the houses were places for gambling, taverns or brothels. Nice! :)
Don't miss the Shoe Garden on Alamo Square. Go prepared, bring an old shoe, put some earth and a plant and put add the plant on the shoe to the collection of the garden. ;) It's a lot of fun.
Both the watching and the planting are free.
All day, but the best is in daylight.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- Dosa (Fillmore)We made a reservation to a restaurant which serves South Indian food. I always wanted to try that out. It was a good idea to book a table in advance, because it was pretty crowded, being weekend and all. We got a table upstairs that [...]D: 9.8mi00
- Anchor Steam BrewerySan Francisco's one and only Brewery offers two free tours and tasting daily. With history dating back to the late 1800's Anchor Brewery is one of San Francisco's least known landmarks. They offer great tours which fill up weeks if not [...]D: 8.3mi00
- Lands EndLands End is a true San Francisco Gem. One of the beautiful trails hidden within the city. Follow this trail to the end, and take in spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Pacific Ocean. View the bridge from where only the [...]D: 11mi00
- City Beer StoreHere is a great news for beer lovers in San Francisco. City Beer Store is a fabulous little place with an extremely wide selection of beers. It is not easy to chose from the more than 300 types of beers, but you can take your time, you [...]D: 9mi00
- DeLessioThe most delicious cake I've ever tasted was here in San Francisco in a little pastry shop on Market Street: DeLessio. At first I didn't even find the bakery, it so hidden, but already as I stepped in I was overwhelmed with the sweet, fresh [...]D: 8.8mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The area around Huangpu river is where you can find several of the most interesting attractions in Shanghai. The Bund, as the waterfront is called,...
Sightseeing: The Bund
The city is nice in the center. You can go shopping everywhere, also on the local markets. If you don't know where to go, just go to the tourist...
Shopping: Shopping in city
Mali Ston, Croatia
The second longest wall still standing in Europe (about 5 km and 3 miles long) after Hadrian's Wall between Scotland and England. The wall goes...
Sightseeing: Ston Wall
India tour package fascinates anyone by offering so many enchanting destinations which are housed with several historical sites representing...
General: India Tour Travel || India Travel Tour
During these two weeks we drove the total of 4.000 something km visiting four countries.
General: 14 Day Road Trip in Europe
If you are around, take yourself at least time for one day, to watch the ancient city weith it´s temple ruins and houses. But you should be there...
History & Culture: Mayan temples
Don't forget to document each of your travel. Always bring your cameras or videocam for photos and video of your trip.
General: Los Angeles
Grand Canyon Village, Arizona
Bright Angel Trail is certainly the most famous of all trails at Grand Canyon. You’ll need a lot of time to do the whole trail. If you do the...
Outdoors Activities: Bright Angel Trail
Hermosa Beach, California
It’s always happening at this place, which happens to be one of my favorite hangouts near the beach. Most people probably know Hennessey's Tavern...
Food: Hennessey's Tavern
Fremont is a funky, hip little neighborhood in Seattle filled with great bars and restaurants. What lots of people don't know is that when you go...
General: The Fremont Troll