Alamo Square, San Francisco, California
Travel tips > North America > United States > San Francisco > Alamo Square
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
One especially beautiful view is towards Steiner street, with the famous houses, the 'painted ladies'. They are also called the Victorian houses, but only because of the age they were built in, not because of the style.
You van see pictures on these beautifully designed houses (painted spades shape, hearts or bottles) that used to indicate that the houses were places for gambling, taverns or brothels. Nice! :)
Don't miss the Shoe Garden on Alamo Square. Go prepared, bring an old shoe, put some earth and a plant and put add the plant on the shoe to the collection of the garden. ;) It's a lot of fun.
Both the watching and the planting are free.
All day, but the best is in daylight.
Recent travel tips for San Francisco
- De Young Museum in San FranciscoA truly amazing location to visit, the De Young Museum led me to a path of illogical, free thinking. Full of impressionist artworks such as painting, sculptures and other interesting works of contemporary American, African and [...]D: 9.4mi00
- Anchor Steam BrewerySan Francisco's one and only Brewery offers two free tours and tasting daily. With history dating back to the late 1800's Anchor Brewery is one of San Francisco's least known landmarks. They offer great tours which fill up weeks if not [...]D: 8.3mi00
- Balmy Street MuralsLocated in the heart of the latino district of San Francisco is a little gem of a street where the houses are painted with latin-american centric murals. These murals, which are painted on the garages, each have some sort of meaning and [...]D: 7.4mi00
- Museum of Asian ArtThis museum is amazing, you simply cannot miss it. It was first opened when a factory owner from Chicago gave his Asian art collection to San Francisco to open a museum with it. The museum has more than 17, 000 objects, from religious [...]D: 9.3mi00
- BacarCan you imagine 1400 kinds of wine in one place? I couldn't, but there it is. Very nice place indeed, not only because of its wide collection of the best wines. The decoration and furniture is also very stylish and elegant, you will be [...]D: 9.3mi00
Things about San Francisco you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Are you looking for a trip that offers you a chance to get off the beaten track in Northern Vietnam. In addition to that, it is still able to...
General: Off the beaten track Travel by Custom Vietnam Travel
Prague, Czech Republic
The most important and well known church in the Czech Republic, St. Vitus Cathedral dominates the skyline of Prague. It is located on the 3rd...
History & Culture: St. Vitus Cathedral
If you want to enjoy a beer within a quaint atmosphere, you should go to the Schinderhannes. This bar has got also a beer garden, that´s nice in...
Night Life & Entertainment: The Schinderhannes
If you are at Lyon, you shoould visit the roman museum. It´is well done regarding the museums exhibiton and it also has got an open air area....
History & Culture: Local roman museum
The Rotunda is also known by the name of Agios Giorgos. It was first a Roman mausoleum, then a Christian church and later a mosque, quite a history...
History & Culture: The Rotunda
We provide cheap airline flight tickets at best prices.
Outdoors Activities: Cheap air flights
DAYDREAM LAGUNA RESORT Luxury Riverside Accommodation and Teppanyaki Restaurant • Indulge your senses and escape from the everyday stresses...
General: Daydream Laguna Resort
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yeah right... not much history in Las Vegas. But then if you are looking at Vegas history, the only place really is old town Las Vegas. It's not...
History & Culture: History in Vegas?
Going to visit family n friends in paradise!
General: Family n friends
Hanoi Bac Mai, Vietnam
Top places to visit on your Myanmar Tour Packages # 1: Experience an exciting and really different cruising through the Ayeyarwady River in...
Sightseeing: Top destinations to see in Myanmar