The catacombs, Rome, Italy
Travel tips > Europe > Italy > Rome > The catacombs
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
They are named after the Deacon St. Callixtus. From the beginning of the 3rd Century he was entrusted by Pope Zephyrinus with the administration of the cemetery, so were the catacombs of St.. Callixtus the official burial place of the Church of Rome.
Above ground are two small basilicas. In the 'Eastern Tricora' may have been the Holy. Pope Zephyrinus and the young 'martyr of the Eucharist, the Holy Tarcisius (patron saint of altar boys) buried.
The underground cemetery is composed of several regions. The oldest nucleus (2. Century). Are the crypts of Lucina and the so-called region of the Popes and St. Cecilia.
LE CATACOMBE DI SAN CALLISTO
Via Appia Antica, 110/126 - 00179 ROMA - Italy
Tel. 0039 - 06 - 513 01 51
Fax 0039 - 06 - 513 01 567
Adults: 8 €, reduced: 5 €
9.00 - 11.00 / 14.00 - 15.30 Uhr.
How to get there:
From the Stazione Termini (main station)
Metro A (direction Anagnina) or from the square by bus 714 (direction Palazzo Sport) to the Piazza di San Giovanni (St. John Lateran). Then take bus 218 to stop 'Fosse Ardeatine - Catacombs.' The entrance to the catacombs is then), just opposite (No. 2 on the plan.
Metro B (direction Laurentina) to Halttestelle 'Circo Massimo'. Then take bus 118 (direction Lagonegro) to the 2nd Stop by the Church of Quo Vadis (No. 4) on the plan.
* From the Pyramid of Caius Cestius (Metro B Piramide - Ostiense station) and Bus 118 as before.
Recent travel tips for Rome
- Ostia Free Beach near RomeJust to get away from the city I think it's nice to visit Ostia and go to the beach. I know it's not the Bahamas, but it's still nice and relaxing and if you go during the week there are barely any people. Also if you go by car be sure that [...]D: n/a00
- Caffe Della PalmeCaffe Della Palme is really close to the Pantheon and actually located in the heart of Rome (Via de Pantheon I believe). It's the most amazing ice cream shop I ever came by, with amazing gelato and truly a must for any foodie :) [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Fonatana di TreviFontana di Trevi is one of the most beautiful fountains in the world. It must be! Obviously quite different from spectacular modern fountains this is a place of history and beauty. The fountain stands 25.9 meters (85 feet) high and is 19 [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Die Sehenswürdigkeiten von RomIhr müsst unbedingt das Coloseum, Forum Romanum, Palatin, Panthion, Peters Dom und das Vatikanische Museum anschauen. [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Saint Peter's Basilica, RomeIf you arrive to Rome you should not miss to visit the Saint Peter's Basilica wich is magnific regarding the architectural point of view. Under the Saint Peter's cathedral there are the shrines of all the Popes. [...]D: n/a00
Things about Rome you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you are aorund Bregenz at the time of july/august and if you like theater plays, you have definitely to visit the theater festival of Bregenz....
Night Life & Entertainment: Theater festival at the lake of Constance
Day 01: Leave Dhaka by domestic flight for Jessore in the morning. On arrival at Jessore Airport our representative will receive and transfer you...
Sightseeing: World largest Mangrove Forest Sundarbans Forest Trips
When going to this place make sure you stay at a 4star,you will enjoy your holiday better.
The Alhambra is definitely a must see. It is the most beautiful of all Granada's great buildings and other Arabic memories. The Alhambra is...
History & Culture: The Alhambra
Icelanders love their coffee. In fact, they enjoy it so much that Iceland is ranked fourth in the world for its coffee habit. It's guessed that...
Food: Where to Eat and Drink in Reykjavik ?
Pasir Gudang, Malaysia
Driving into Johor Bahru via the Pasir Gudang Higway would be a great way to experience Malaysia as this highway is the only main highway...
General: Pasir Gudang Highway
The Auschwitz-Birkenau camps are not far from Krakow and it's easy to get there with the minibus service, takes only one or maximum two hours. ...
History & Culture: Auschwitz-Birkenau
Also visit the historical center of Oradea with plenty of old monuments built at the begining of the 19th century. The architecture of the center...
General: The baroque historical center
Sometimes a little too crowded, the Daruma Japanese Restaurant is THE place to go to when you wan to eat something really delicious in a friendly...
Food: Daruma Japanese Restaurant
Overland Park, Kansas
Place Delicate clothing can be placed between two dry cleaner bags and then fold the item and pack. The garment will not have any fold creases and...
General: Place Delicate