The catacombs, Rome, Italy
Travel tips > Europe > Italy > Rome > The catacombs
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
They are named after the Deacon St. Callixtus. From the beginning of the 3rd Century he was entrusted by Pope Zephyrinus with the administration of the cemetery, so were the catacombs of St.. Callixtus the official burial place of the Church of Rome.
Above ground are two small basilicas. In the 'Eastern Tricora' may have been the Holy. Pope Zephyrinus and the young 'martyr of the Eucharist, the Holy Tarcisius (patron saint of altar boys) buried.
The underground cemetery is composed of several regions. The oldest nucleus (2. Century). Are the crypts of Lucina and the so-called region of the Popes and St. Cecilia.
LE CATACOMBE DI SAN CALLISTO
Via Appia Antica, 110/126 - 00179 ROMA - Italy
Tel. 0039 - 06 - 513 01 51
Fax 0039 - 06 - 513 01 567
Adults: 8 €, reduced: 5 €
9.00 - 11.00 / 14.00 - 15.30 Uhr.
How to get there:
From the Stazione Termini (main station)
Metro A (direction Anagnina) or from the square by bus 714 (direction Palazzo Sport) to the Piazza di San Giovanni (St. John Lateran). Then take bus 218 to stop 'Fosse Ardeatine - Catacombs.' The entrance to the catacombs is then), just opposite (No. 2 on the plan.
Metro B (direction Laurentina) to Halttestelle 'Circo Massimo'. Then take bus 118 (direction Lagonegro) to the 2nd Stop by the Church of Quo Vadis (No. 4) on the plan.
* From the Pyramid of Caius Cestius (Metro B Piramide - Ostiense station) and Bus 118 as before.
Recent travel tips for Rome
- Fonatana di TreviFontana di Trevi is one of the most beautiful fountains in the world. It must be! Obviously quite different from spectacular modern fountains this is a place of history and beauty. The fountain stands 25.9 meters (85 feet) high and is 19 [...]D: 0.1mi00
- Case RomaneCase Romane or Case Romane del Celio is one of the best preserved Roman villas that can be visited today. It is located close to the Circus Maximus and can be reached by foot. The villa which was built in the third century A.D. was [...]D: n/a00
- ColosseumColosseum: While most guides will tell you to visit the Colosseum, I would recommend a nice stroll around it. The impressive part is the outside. If you really want to go inside, you should go early in the morning so you don't have to wait [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Shopping at Via Veneto and Via CondottiVia Veneto as well as Via Condotti are the most exclusive places to shop in Rome. They are both connected to the Spanish stairs and are really wonderful if you have really deep pockets. For people on a budget I would try the Corso which is [...]D: 15.1mi10
- TrastevereTrastevere offers a lot of beauty and life. This is the old town of Rome, if one can really call it that. It should be called the "really old" town. Anyhow, the place is a student's favorite hangout. It's packed with bars, coffee shops and [...]D: 1mi00
Things about Rome you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Overnight Village Home Trip -- Explore Bangladesh On the first day you will go to the village from Dhaka at around 08:00 by reserved car/coach....
Sightseeing: Home stay trip at Dhaka
One of the world's largest squares, the Plaza de la Revolucion is not so grand at first sight, being an enormous concrete place with no shade at...
History & Culture: Plaza de la Revolucion in Havana
If you are at Potsdam, you really should visit Sanssouci, the big palace and garden area, built by Friedrich the great, the prussian king...
General: The Sanssouci palace
If you want to make an funny shortsightseeing through the town, take the monorail of Wuppertal. The first Monorail of germany. There can also...
General: The monorail of Wuppertal
Reading, United Kingdom
Reading is a great place to do your shopping. There are two big malls very close to each other. One of them is The Oracle, which is a huge mall...
Shopping: Shopping Centres
When I arrived in Milano I visited Castello Sforzesco but I didn't had enought time to visit 'Il Domo di Milano' and that's a thing that I regret,...
History & Culture: Castello Sforzesco, Milan
Monforte D'alba, Italy
Some parts of the estate are as old as 1600, it is really a nice place, you can see how an Italian estate looked like hundred years ago. The...
Food: Azienda agricola Fantino Alessandro e Gian Natale
Located at the city limits of Aurora and very close to Denver, Cherry Creek State Park is perfect for a day out or for camping. The whole area is...
Outdoors Activities: Cherry Creek State Park
Corpus Christi, Texas
Maybe not the most elegant of dining places but once you try the poblano soup you will be dreaming of returning to the Nuevo Cafe. I don't know...
Food: Nuevo Cafe
Fort Worth, Texas
A very informative and really interesting tour about money, money-printing and currency in the US. The Bureau of Engraving has another location...
History & Culture: Bureau of Engraving