The catacombs, Rome, Italy
Travel tips > Europe > Italy > Rome > The catacombs
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
They are named after the Deacon St. Callixtus. From the beginning of the 3rd Century he was entrusted by Pope Zephyrinus with the administration of the cemetery, so were the catacombs of St.. Callixtus the official burial place of the Church of Rome.
Above ground are two small basilicas. In the 'Eastern Tricora' may have been the Holy. Pope Zephyrinus and the young 'martyr of the Eucharist, the Holy Tarcisius (patron saint of altar boys) buried.
The underground cemetery is composed of several regions. The oldest nucleus (2. Century). Are the crypts of Lucina and the so-called region of the Popes and St. Cecilia.
LE CATACOMBE DI SAN CALLISTO
Via Appia Antica, 110/126 - 00179 ROMA - Italy
Tel. 0039 - 06 - 513 01 51
Fax 0039 - 06 - 513 01 567
Adults: 8 €, reduced: 5 €
9.00 - 11.00 / 14.00 - 15.30 Uhr.
How to get there:
From the Stazione Termini (main station)
Metro A (direction Anagnina) or from the square by bus 714 (direction Palazzo Sport) to the Piazza di San Giovanni (St. John Lateran). Then take bus 218 to stop 'Fosse Ardeatine - Catacombs.' The entrance to the catacombs is then), just opposite (No. 2 on the plan.
Metro B (direction Laurentina) to Halttestelle 'Circo Massimo'. Then take bus 118 (direction Lagonegro) to the 2nd Stop by the Church of Quo Vadis (No. 4) on the plan.
* From the Pyramid of Caius Cestius (Metro B Piramide - Ostiense station) and Bus 118 as before.
Recent travel tips for Rome
- PantheonPantheon: When in Rome, you must see the Pantheon. It's probably one of the most fascinating buildings in the City. The Pantheon was built 27 BC by the son-in-law of Augustus an for me it truly shows the lost beauty of ancient Rome the most [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Wine tastingGreat wine tasting in the center of Rome. This place is great for all of you foodies or wine lovers. You'll be able to eat some appetizers and taste a few typical Italian wines. Included will be: -Three glasses of wine -Sample cheeses [...]D: 0.9mi00
- The ancient ColosseumIf you plan to visit the Colosseum in the tourist season, go there in the morning. That has got two reasons: 1. A lot of tourists gruops come there by bus and train, what makes you waiting for entrance for a very long time. 2. In the noon [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Sistine Chapel - Cappella SistinaI think the Sistine Chapel (called Cappella Sistina in Italian) must have seen when you're travelling to Rome, by taking a tour in the Vatican Museum. The denomination comes from the name of the pope Sixtus the IV., who commissioned the [...]D: n/a00
- Case RomaneCase Romane or Case Romane del Celio is one of the best preserved Roman villas that can be visited today. It is located close to the Circus Maximus and can be reached by foot. The villa which was built in the third century A.D. was [...]D: n/a00
Things about Rome you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
When going to this place make sure you stay at a 4star,you will enjoy your holiday better.
This 5 star restaurant is the best restaurant in Toledo. The restaurant is located in one of the old arab houses from the 17th century. Locum in...
Food: Restaurant Locum
If you want to reach other cities from there, go to the main bus station in the city center, directly adjacent to the harbour.
Public Transportation: Reaching other cities from Gythion
If you want to have a little beach break, just stop there and camp in the woods near the beach! Go there by train or car.
Outdoors Activities: Beach Break
If you want to visit the wonderful and peaceful island of Schinoussa(Greece)the Blue Star Ferries have two direct lines, one on Sunday and the...
Public Transportation: Travel to Schinoussa
Lodging: Harding Hotel, Jury's Inn Christ Church Food: Queen of Tarts on Cows Lane for excellent breakfast or lunch
Food: Lodging and food in Dublin
The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia, was built in 1447 from an ancient votive chapel, within a single day. This should give saefty...
General: The Basilica of Santa Maria della Misericordia
Essaouria is a beach town in south east morocco. Every city in Morocco has a Medina, which means old town. The entire medina is surrounded by a...
Sightseeing: Gates of Essaouira
Huahine, French Polynesia
Tahiti is famous for growing great vanilla. Be sure to take a tour of Huahine and visit the vanilla farms where you can buy fresh vanilla beans to...
History & Culture: Vanilla Farms in Huahine
Clear Creek makes eau de vie out of the most delicious fruits in Oregon, and in addition to this alcoholic delight, they also distill brandy,...
Sightseeing: Clear Creek Distillery