The catacombs, Rome, Italy
Travel tips > Europe > Italy > Rome > The catacombs
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
They are named after the Deacon St. Callixtus. From the beginning of the 3rd Century he was entrusted by Pope Zephyrinus with the administration of the cemetery, so were the catacombs of St.. Callixtus the official burial place of the Church of Rome.
Above ground are two small basilicas. In the 'Eastern Tricora' may have been the Holy. Pope Zephyrinus and the young 'martyr of the Eucharist, the Holy Tarcisius (patron saint of altar boys) buried.
The underground cemetery is composed of several regions. The oldest nucleus (2. Century). Are the crypts of Lucina and the so-called region of the Popes and St. Cecilia.
LE CATACOMBE DI SAN CALLISTO
Via Appia Antica, 110/126 - 00179 ROMA - Italy
Tel. 0039 - 06 - 513 01 51
Fax 0039 - 06 - 513 01 567
Adults: 8 €, reduced: 5 €
9.00 - 11.00 / 14.00 - 15.30 Uhr.
How to get there:
From the Stazione Termini (main station)
Metro A (direction Anagnina) or from the square by bus 714 (direction Palazzo Sport) to the Piazza di San Giovanni (St. John Lateran). Then take bus 218 to stop 'Fosse Ardeatine - Catacombs.' The entrance to the catacombs is then), just opposite (No. 2 on the plan.
Metro B (direction Laurentina) to Halttestelle 'Circo Massimo'. Then take bus 118 (direction Lagonegro) to the 2nd Stop by the Church of Quo Vadis (No. 4) on the plan.
* From the Pyramid of Caius Cestius (Metro B Piramide - Ostiense station) and Bus 118 as before.
Recent travel tips for Rome
- TrastevereTrastevere offers a lot of beauty and life. This is the old town of Rome, if one can really call it that. It should be called the "really old" town. Anyhow, the place is a student's favorite hangout. It's packed with bars, coffee shops and [...]D: 1mi00
- Die Sehenswürdigkeiten von RomIhr müsst unbedingt das Coloseum, Forum Romanum, Palatin, Panthion, Peters Dom und das Vatikanische Museum anschauen. [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Fonatana di TreviFontana di Trevi is one of the most beautiful fountains in the world. It must be! Obviously quite different from spectacular modern fountains this is a place of history and beauty. The fountain stands 25.9 meters (85 feet) high and is 19 [...]D: 0.1mi00
- My favourite restaurantYou should go to the 'ristorante da fratellis', located near the 'via nationale'. [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Tutto PizzaWenn ihr in Rom seid und gute Pizza bestellen wollt, dann bestellt Pizza bei Tutto Pizza. Dort ist die Pizza super. [...]D: n/a10
Things about Rome you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you want to see a really special place, you have to come to Bata Shoes Museum. The museum displays the shoes ollection of the Bata family with...
History & Culture: Bata Shoe Museum
I WAS THERE 5 YEARS AGO, THE PEOPLE IS VERY FRIENDLY, THEY MAKE YOU PART OF THEIR FAMILY, IS SO HARD TO FORGET PEOPLE LIKE THEM
General: FRIENDLY PEOPLE
Paris City Passport is a very useful little booklet. It contains coupons that give you a discount to more than thirty places including museums,...
General: Paris City Passport
If you don't want to stay in Volos city try the seaside village of Amaliapolis - about 50km from Volos. It is really beautiful and has fantastic...
Beaches : Places to stay in Amaliapolis
The Kilkenny Castle was built in the 12th century. It is definitely a must see, if you are in the area. It was renovated in the 19th century and...
History & Culture: Kilkenny Castle
So it's that time of the year again when you've packed your bags and are raring to go and find yourself heading to God's Own Country – Kerala...
Beaches : Some Must-Do Activities On Your Trip To Kerala
In the center of the town there is a beautiful church, the 'Szent Mihaly Templom' and in front of it lies the prize-winner statue of one of the...
History & Culture: The St. Michael church and the Mathias statue
Hello! I'd really like to tell you about my recent trip to the Chernobyl zone. This place is sadly known for one of the most tragic events in the...
History & Culture: Chernobyl Trips
A historically significant and architecturally beautiful place whith lots of rooms and thousands of plants showcasing flowers, and other fauna from...
Sightseeing: Krohn Conservatory
Las Vegas, Nevada
One of my favorite places to see while in Las Vegas is the Bellagio Fountains in front of the well known Hotel. It's truly awesome, and maybe the...
Sightseeing: Bellagio Fountain