The catacombs, Rome, Italy
Travel tips > Europe > Italy > Rome > The catacombs
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
They are named after the Deacon St. Callixtus. From the beginning of the 3rd Century he was entrusted by Pope Zephyrinus with the administration of the cemetery, so were the catacombs of St.. Callixtus the official burial place of the Church of Rome.
Above ground are two small basilicas. In the 'Eastern Tricora' may have been the Holy. Pope Zephyrinus and the young 'martyr of the Eucharist, the Holy Tarcisius (patron saint of altar boys) buried.
The underground cemetery is composed of several regions. The oldest nucleus (2. Century). Are the crypts of Lucina and the so-called region of the Popes and St. Cecilia.
LE CATACOMBE DI SAN CALLISTO
Via Appia Antica, 110/126 - 00179 ROMA - Italy
Tel. 0039 - 06 - 513 01 51
Fax 0039 - 06 - 513 01 567
Adults: 8 €, reduced: 5 €
9.00 - 11.00 / 14.00 - 15.30 Uhr.
How to get there:
From the Stazione Termini (main station)
Metro A (direction Anagnina) or from the square by bus 714 (direction Palazzo Sport) to the Piazza di San Giovanni (St. John Lateran). Then take bus 218 to stop 'Fosse Ardeatine - Catacombs.' The entrance to the catacombs is then), just opposite (No. 2 on the plan.
Metro B (direction Laurentina) to Halttestelle 'Circo Massimo'. Then take bus 118 (direction Lagonegro) to the 2nd Stop by the Church of Quo Vadis (No. 4) on the plan.
* From the Pyramid of Caius Cestius (Metro B Piramide - Ostiense station) and Bus 118 as before.
Recent travel tips for Rome
- PantheonPantheon: When in Rome, you must see the Pantheon. It's probably one of the most fascinating buildings in the City. The Pantheon was built 27 BC by the son-in-law of Augustus an for me it truly shows the lost beauty of ancient Rome the most [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Pizza and Pasta and Fiori di ZuccaObviously, Pizza and Pasta are among the most wanted foods in Rome. I suggest Fiori di Zucca (Zucchini Flowers, which is a really cool dish. Basically, Zucchini Flowers stuffed with fish and then breaded and deep fried ;). Anyhow, make sure [...]D: n/a00
- Via Appia AnticaNear the catacombs of San Sebastiano and San Callisto in the south from the city center is the ancient old cobblestone street, the most famous road in the world. The Via Appia Antica connects Rome with the area of the Campagna. In ancient [...]D: 2.7mi00
- Catacombs of San SebastianoThe entrance to the Catacombs of San Sebastiano is located at the address Via Appia Antica. 136th. The church of San Sebastiano was built over these catacombs in the 4th Century. In 1632 this church got its present baroque outlook. In the [...]D: 3.4mi00
- Tutto PizzaWenn ihr in Rom seid und gute Pizza bestellen wollt, dann bestellt Pizza bei Tutto Pizza. Dort ist die Pizza super. [...]D: n/a10
Things about Rome you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
If you go to Augsburg, you should visit the roman museum, the arts museum and take a look at the so called 'Fuggersiedlung'. It was the first...
General: Visit the Museums and the Fuggersiedlung
In Langenargen there is a beautiful castle.
General: Visit the beautiful castle
Head to DC10 on Sunday, it's really good fun. Although be prepared for the long haul. It lasts from Sunday morning until 8am on Monday!
Night Life & Entertainment: Ibiza Holidays
Belfast, United Kingdom
The wall Murals of Belfast are the symbols of the city. They depict the division of the streets and neighborhoods according to political an...
Sightseeing: The famous Murals
Henley On Thames, United Kingdom
Make sure you have a whole day for the amazing River and Rowing Museum if you are in Henley on Themes or in the area. It is very large and has many...
Outdoors Activities: For the Whole Family
Whitsunday Islands situated Queensland Capital at Australia. Whitsunday Island can divide into four groups like Northern, Lindeman, The...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
It was a trip to the Entertainment Capital of the World; excitement was at its heights. It was not a bachelor party, neither a hush-hush...
Family & Fun: Reveling at Vegas – Getting Attracted to Distractions
When I arrived in Milano I visited Castello Sforzesco but I didn't had enought time to visit 'Il Domo di Milano' and that's a thing that I regret,...
History & Culture: Castello Sforzesco, Milan
VIVA VINO JAZZ CLUB. Cool Jazz, great wine and beer, not to mention top of the line tequilas, a visit to this CLUB is a must. Whether you choose to...
Night Life & Entertainment: Viva Vino Jazz Club
Buena Park, California
Knott's Berry Farm is a great distraction for a family or a group of friends. There are so many things to do there! They have a fiesta village...
Family & Fun: Knott's Berry Farm