The Superstition Mountain, Phoenix, Arizona
Travel tips > North America > United States > Phoenix > The Superstition Mountain
- Outdoors Activities travel tip
- City center
Several tribes have different myths about the mountain, according to the Pima and Apache beliefs, the mountain is the home of evil spirits that make the loud rumbling noise that is coming from the mountain. The Pima Indians do not cross the mountain.
There are several modern legends about the gold of the Aztecs, a lost gold mine and other sources of wealth in the mountain.
The mountain itself is very beautiful and picturesque. You can climb it and admire the Indian petroglyphs (drawings on the stone). There are very many and they depict scenes from the life of the Indian tribes, it's fascinating. You can easily visit from there the nearby ghost towns and Western museums.
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Recent travel tips for Phoenix
- Frank & Alberts in PhoenixFrank & Alberts is a place where you eat delicious food presented with creativity and care. The dishes we ordered looked so good on the plates we were reluctant to eat them :) But we still did and they were delicious. The place has a good [...]D: 15mi00
- Phoenix Art MuseumThis Museum is truly amazing. There are so many things to see, the museum focusing on several subjects ranging from art to history. We took part on the South Wing Overview guided tour which presented us contemporary paintings and modern [...]D: 12.3mi00
- The Phoenix Children's MuseumThis is the most amazing children's museum we've been at. My children just couldn't get enough of it. There are so many interactive things to do for them and all those great, innovative ideas give you ideas too. The Noodle Forest, with [...]D: 11.1mi00
- The Royal Palms Resort & Spa in PhoenixIt's no wonder they call it 'royal', because that is the way we felt during our stay in that amazing hotel: like royalty. The staff was really great, paying attention to our needs and making our stay at the hotel as pleasant as they could. [...]D: 13.6mi00
- The Desert Botanical Garden in PhoenixThis is maybe the best place to visit in Phoenix. It has almost everything that can be of interest to birdwatchers, contemporary art lovers, wildlife-research maniacs or culture oriented people. For me, the most amazing attractions were [...]D: 10.6mi00
Things about Phoenix you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
If you want to return home from your trip to Rio de Janeiro laden with presents for your family and friends, the stuff you can find at La Vereda...
Shopping: La Vereda Arts and Crafts Boutique
Take yourself time, if want to get from point A to B with public transport. Transportation is very good, but there are always huge distances...
Public Transportation: About how to get from A to B in the german capital city
While in Friedrichshafen, don't miss out on visiting the Promenade. It's basically the street that's right by the Lake Constance. There are a ton...
Sightseeing: Friedrichshafen Promenade
The Cathedral is the third largest church and the absolute largest Gothic Church in the world. Its construction was completed in around 1500 and...
History & Culture: Catedral
Travel in Nuuk is rather difficult since there are only 4 taxis and you need some strong political influence to get a cab. The taxis cots a flat...
General: How to travel in Nuuk, a big tip
There is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy...
Sightseeing: Icon workshop in Kalambaka
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
If like to go to the beaches of Lima, you should be always careful. For an tourist it would be good, not to go to the beaches away from Lima more...
Outdoors Activities: Beaches at Lima
It is definitely a must if you are in the area. The museum and the city zoo are together, it's a perfect family program as well. The Skansen...
Outdoors Activities: Skansen open-air museum
The nicest place in Napa, I dare say. It's a French restaurant, as its name suggests and has an incredibly good cuisine. Everything is simply...