Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1, New Orleans, Louisiana
Travel tips > North America > United States > New Orleans > Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1
- General travel tip
- City center
Like in typical New Orleanean cemeteries, the graves are all built above the ground because the soil contains a lot o water. They look like small crypts, and depending on the fortune of the deceased's family, they can be large or small, richly decorated or simple.
Some famous residents of the city are buried here, including Marie Laveau, the voodoo queen of New Orleans. It can be dangerous for tourists to wander around the cemetery alone, so bring your friends along or join a tour.
Treme St, New Orleans, LA, USA
Recent travel tips for New Orleans
- Molly's pub in New OrleansIt's not that unusual to find an Irish pub in the French Quarter (and they have a tradition that goes way back to the times of the French colinists), but Molly's is one of the liveliest and most welcoming watering holes in the Vieux Carre. [...]D: 0.4mi00
- St. Louis CathedralSt. Louis is the oldest functioning cathedral in the US, but it doesn't look much like it used to in the 18th century, when it was built. It is a tall, slender structure painted in white, quite interesting as far as churches go. It is [...]D: 0.5mi00
- The Cabildo in New OrleansThe Cabildo used to be the seat o the colonial government in Louisiana some centuries ago, but today it is quite an interesting museum, especially for those who have an interest in history. The original building was destroyed during teh [...]D: 0.5mi00
- New Orleans SilversmithsIf you happen to be in need of some fancy jewelry in New Orleans, or if you just want to splurge on a souvenir, browse through the offer of New Orleans Silversmiths, a jeweler's shop which specializes in antique silverware, holloware, [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Preservation HallIt would be just plain wring to leave New Orleans without listening live to some real New Orleans jazz, and there's no better place for it then the Preservation Hall, a venue that's been functioning since 1961. The place opens and 8 PM [...]D: 0.4mi00
Things about New Orleans you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Prague, Czech Republic
Take a look at the Karls bridge and the city palace Hradschin. There the 30years war begun, when the people threw the officers of the emperor out...
General: Famous city of the Fenstersturz
Checkpoint Charlie was a watchtower from where they controlled the area of the Berlin Wall that divided West and East Berlin so that nobody can...
History & Culture: Checkpoint Charlie Museum
If you are in the south of germany, close to the village of Herbertingen, you should visit the open air museum called Heuneburg. It´s the place of...
Outdoors Activities: Open air museum
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hi I travel to Tel Aviv several times a year and I have found that renting an apartment for short term is much cheaper than renting a hotel room...
General: Recommendation for accommodation in Tel Aviv
The best time to visit Jaipur is during Sept-Oct or during the Feb-March months.
General: Best time to travel
Also at Sorrent you can catch some nice views to the sea. But don't look at the harbour area.
General: Taking some photos
The city is too hot. most of the places have good air conditioning but walking 10 minutes outside in summer is a torture.
General: Too hot
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Nightlife in Saint Petersburg is thriving, as expected from such a vibrant city. A2 Club is one of the best clubs in town if you ask me (and...
Night Life & Entertainment: A2 Club
Located at the top of a beautiful condo with huge glass windows surrounding the restaurant, the Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto is truly an elegant and...
Food: Monterey Bay Fish Grotto
If you like skiing, you should definitely go there. The glaciers at Hintertux offers you a wide variety of ski runs, for every state of skill. ...
Outdoors Activities: Skiing