Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Mexico City, Mexico
Travel tips > Central America > Mexico > Mexico City > Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to an Aztec peasant on the place where the Basilica is today. The Virgin left the image of herself on the peasant's cloak and this cloak is displayed in the Basilica and it really does look remarkable. They say that scientists didn't find an explanation to the phenomenon yet.
There is also a nice museum of Catholic relics in the back part of the Church. Some of the items are as old as the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire.
Plaza de las Américas 1
The Basilica is free, the museum costs about $0,4 (5 pesos).
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Mexico City
- XochimilcoAbout 25 km South of the center of Mexico City you will find Xochimilco. It is a canal system with large and colorfully decorated boats floating on the water. The boats are for fun and not for transport primarily. You can get on a boat and [...]D: 1433.9mi00
- Templo MayorTemplo Mayor is an Aztec temple built in the 14th century for the worship of the Aztec god of war and that of the water. It was discovered in the late 1970s in the heart of Mexico City. The temple once was a huge pyramid. On the top of [...]D: 8.7mi00
- Templo Mayor and Museo del Templo MayorThere are so many mementos of the Aztec culture in Mexico City but perhaps one of the greatest of them is Templo Mayor and the Museo del Templo Mayor. The first was the greatest temple of the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan, the second one is [...]D: 8.6mi10
- Frida Kahlo MuseumFrida Kahlo was genius and a great woman. This Frida Kahlo Museum is a great memento of her life and art. She was born is this house and later lived here with her husband, Diego Rivera. The movie about her life, Frida was mostly filmed in [...]D: 12.3mi00
- La Pata NegraThe city's best club I've been to was La Pata Negra. It's a real cool place with a huge dance floor on the second story and a great bar on the first. There are many renown guest DJs all the time and the music is varied. [...]D: 8.3mi00
Things about Mexico City you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Day 01: Leave Dhaka by domestic flight for Jessore in the morning. On arrival at Jessore Airport our representative will receive and transfer you...
Sightseeing: World largest Mangrove Forest Sundarbans Forest Trips
Are so many things/programs to do in this nature park. If you like nature and walking trips, I wound recommanded this place for you and I think one...
Family & Fun: Nature park thun
The Monument a Colon was built in 1888 for the Universal Exhibition. As its name suggests, the monument was raised to commemorate the discovery of...
Sightseeing: Monument a Colon
As you may know, Orleans was the hometown of Joan of Arc, the heroine of France. She changed the outcome of the Hundred Years War in the favour of...
Family & Fun: Joan of Arc Day
Oxford, United Kingdom
Know how to ride a push bike, as thats what everyone does!
If you love the art on metal, this is the best place to get astonished with some fabulous metal work. Museum of Kutch basically represent the...
History & Culture: Museum of Kutch
Street markets along Christ church is a great place to get place to buy handicrafts and souvenirs. Many of these handicrafts are handmade...
Shopping: Street markets near Christ Church
Islamabad Gharbi, Pakistan
Enjoy residing at luxurious hotels in Islamabad with Trekkso - One of the best travel and tour operators of Pakistan. To know more visit http://www...
General: Hotels in Islamabad
There is no lack of museums in Singapore, which is not surprising at all, considering the rich culture and history of the city. The Asian...
History & Culture: Asian Civilisations Museum
With no advanced reservation (except for groups larger than 10), the Belmont Mansion can be toured every day until 4pm. It takes only about an hour...
Sightseeing: Belmont Mansion