Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Mexico City, Mexico
Travel tips > Central America > Mexico > Mexico City > Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to an Aztec peasant on the place where the Basilica is today. The Virgin left the image of herself on the peasant's cloak and this cloak is displayed in the Basilica and it really does look remarkable. They say that scientists didn't find an explanation to the phenomenon yet.
There is also a nice museum of Catholic relics in the back part of the Church. Some of the items are as old as the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire.
Plaza de las Américas 1
The Basilica is free, the museum costs about $0,4 (5 pesos).
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Mexico City
- Rotonda de los Hombres IlustresThe meeting place for many famous Mexicans, politicians, artists, philanthropist is the Rotonda de los Hombres Ilustres - a cemetery. I was quite amazed by the number of members of Mexican elite. The tombstones are put in two large [...]D: n/a01
- Templo MayorTemplo Mayor is an Aztec temple built in the 14th century for the worship of the Aztec god of war and that of the water. It was discovered in the late 1970s in the heart of Mexico City. The temple once was a huge pyramid. On the top of [...]D: 8.7mi00
- Plaza de las Tres CulturasThree cultures meet at this beautiful square, the Plaza de los Tres Culturas. One, Mexican, is represented by the modern buildings that surround most of the square and dominate the view. Spanish culture is represented by the Church of [...]D: n/a00
- UNAM Sculpture GardenIf you want to spend a calm and nice afternoon far from the noises of the city, UNAM Sculpture Garden is the best. It's on the campus of the Autonom University of Mexico and it's a lot of fun. I loved the modern sculptures, the [...]D: 13.6mi00
- National Palace in Mexico CityThis building really earned the name National Palace as it has been the residence of Mexico's monarch or president for over 300 years. Hernan Cortez was the first to live here and it was a presidential residence until not long ago. [...]D: 8.8mi00
Things about Mexico City you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The shopping street called the 'Zeil' offers you all you can buy.
General: Shopping in the city center
Henley On Thames, United Kingdom
Make sure you have a whole day for the amazing River and Rowing Museum if you are in Henley on Themes or in the area. It is very large and has many...
Outdoors Activities: For the Whole Family
Newyork, United Kingdom
Well, it’s amazing. The miracle has been done. Well done.
If you are in Athens and you have a little time, go to the Parliament and watch the guard change. This happens in every hour if I remember well.
Family & Fun: Guard change attraction at the Parliament
If you intend to go there, check the availability of buses and train, together with it´s schedules. Otherwise it happens, like at a lot of other...
Public Transportation: If you don't want to get lost
Casino Royale Goa, India's largest casino vessel is the hallmark of sophistication and grandeur. Floating on the tranquil Mandovi River in Goa, it...
General: Casino Royale Goa
Visit the museum of ancient roman relicts and the roman baths in the city center.
General: The museum of ancient roman relicts
Near the cave just about a 1 mile you can find a great place for camping, with grass and a little brook
General: A little camping
If you like to go shopping or watching the old souk of Hammamet, take yourself a taxi. Busses arent reliable and a Taxi isnt much expensive. While...
General: Toursit location
Santa Ana, California
One of the highlight and maybe the most interesting museum in Santa Ana would be the Lyon Air Museum on Ike Jones Road just beside the John Wayne...
History & Culture: Lyon Air Museum