Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Mexico City, Mexico
Travel tips > Central America > Mexico > Mexico City > Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to an Aztec peasant on the place where the Basilica is today. The Virgin left the image of herself on the peasant's cloak and this cloak is displayed in the Basilica and it really does look remarkable. They say that scientists didn't find an explanation to the phenomenon yet.
There is also a nice museum of Catholic relics in the back part of the Church. Some of the items are as old as the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire.
Plaza de las Américas 1
The Basilica is free, the museum costs about $0,4 (5 pesos).
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Mexico City
- Frida Kahlo MuseumFrida Kahlo was genius and a great woman. This Frida Kahlo Museum is a great memento of her life and art. She was born is this house and later lived here with her husband, Diego Rivera. The movie about her life, Frida was mostly filmed in [...]D: 12.3mi00
- Jorongo BarI have only spent three days in Mexico City, so I've asked around where to find the most authentic bar. I've decided to go to Jorongo Bar and I wasn't disappionted. There is great music provided by mariachi bands and their [...]D: 3.9mi00
- Zocalo in Mexico CityThe original center of a colonial Spanish city is called a Zocalo. It consists of a square with public buildings and the buildings of the local military. Mexico City's Zocalo is one of the largest in New Spain and its a top must see. [...]D: 18.8mi00
- Plaza de las Tres CulturasThree cultures meet at this beautiful square, the Plaza de los Tres Culturas. One, Mexican, is represented by the modern buildings that surround most of the square and dominate the view. Spanish culture is represented by the Church of [...]D: n/a00
- National Palace in Mexico CityThis building really earned the name National Palace as it has been the residence of Mexico's monarch or president for over 300 years. Hernan Cortez was the first to live here and it was a presidential residence until not long ago. [...]D: 8.8mi00
Things about Mexico City you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ski Dubai is located inside Mall of the Emirates. When I was there I was just amazed about how they had managed to build this thing inside a mall,...
Family & Fun: Ski Dubai
Forstau is ideal for families with small kids. There are some great skischools where you can left your kids from 10am till 3pm. They take care for...
Family & Fun: Ski Vacation with Kids
Tivoli Garden is the oldest of the amusement parks in the world, they say that Walt Disney got his idea of Disneyland from here. It is situated in...
General: Tivoli Gardens
Oxford, United Kingdom
The Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford has a great display of culturaland archeological items. Everything is categorized by topic, so it is easier for...
History & Culture: Pitt Rivers Museum
There is an amazing park in the center of the city, a park with palm trees and little bridges over a pretty watercourse. Don't miss it!
Family & Fun: Park in the heart of the city
Welcome to the Top trekking & hiking in Morocco Top Trekking In Morocco is one of the best specialists in travel and the discovery of Morocco. You...
Outdoors Activities: Trekking in morocco,travel adventrures tours,guided walking holdays,toubkal trek
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Don't miss the Taal lake, when you are in Tagaytay. You can book a tour to cross the lake to the Volcano Island. You can reach the top either...
General: Taal Lake
When you head into Izmir, you might wander why because it's not really a sight seeing place. But don't worry, if you head to the water and walk...
Sightseeing: The Big Statue of Attaturk
Hello! I'd really like to tell you about my recent trip to the Chernobyl zone. This place is sadly known for one of the most tragic events in the...
History & Culture: Chernobyl Trips
It was a new experience to go to a museum and take part at activities and ‘concerts’. I went with a group of friends to visit the museum...
Family & Fun: A visit at Detroit Institute of Art