Full Moon festival in Hoi An, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hoi An > Full Moon festival in Hoi An
- General travel tip
- City center
Firstly, adjust your expectation if you’re thinking along the lines of Thailand luxury tours as this is a destination with so many Full moon parties, Vietnam isn’t all the same thing as Thailand. In Hoi An, the ful moon festival is about showcasing the town’s heritage and culture. Full moon festivals are held on the 14th day of every lunar month which gives travelers at least 12 chances every year. It’s worth checking with local source as to the actual date in a particular month, as I’ve found that dates are sometimes vary.
On the festival night, the Hoi An old town is close to all motorized vehicles at 6pm, regular electric street lighting is turned off, and the lanterns are lit, in the other hand, the full moon festival is a time for Vietnamese to honor their ancestors. Altars bedecked with flowers, fruits, food, candles and incense are set up at the front of many shops and homes. In exchange for this worship, ancestors will hopefully bestow good luck on their families.
Alongside the Thu Bon River are many sellers of floating paper lanterns, these lanterns are folded from colored paper and have a small candle in a square of polystyrene n the base. Competition for sales are fierce, so, tourists are also negotiation hard to buy lanterns, plus the services of two tiny, but skilled women to row tourists our in boats onto the river to float our lanterns downstream.
Besides the Full Moon festival in Hoi An, this ancient centrally located town in Vietnam is one of the must see destinations for anyone who is keen to visit anything from their holiday in Vietnam, it is stunningly beautiful, but also somewhat nervy experience, hundreds of paper lanterns to be lit, in a combustible wooden boat, out in the darkness of the river. Plus, every time you pass under one of the footbridges crossing the river, you had to out your head between your knees to avoid being hit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Vietnam
- Vietnam Travel Companies-Custom Vietnam Travel CompanyFirst of all, Custom Vietnam Travel would like to express our deep gratitude to you for visiting our web site and our online services!We are a Professional Tour Operator and tourist services provider in Indochina [...]D: 1.4mi00
- Car rental in saigonIf you are a business man running a tight schedule where punctuality is critical or you are traveling on your vacation in Saigon (Hochiminh city) we are ''SATSCO Car Rental'' ready to serve timely, friendly and efficient. More Detail: http [...]D: 4.4mi00
- Experience a magical mix of beaches, post colonial,Unesco...16 Days trip to Vietnam by Luxury Travel Vietnam Outlined tour program: Day 1: Arrival Hanoi (D) Day 2: Hanoi (B/L) Day 3: Half Day City Hanoi with visit artist and dine in style, (B/D) Day 4: Hanoi - Halong Bay Natural World Heritage [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Hanoi - Halong Overnight On BoatHanoi - Halong Overnight On Boat (05 Days 04 Nights) Day 01: Hanoi Arrival Dinner On arrival at Noi Bai airport, you are met and transferred to Hanoi – Vietnam’s capital, is a stylish and gracious city that retain an [...]D: 2.3mi10
- Saigon Saigon BarSaigon Saigon bar is a great place to hang out with your friends after sigh seeing Ho Chi Minh City. The Bar is located in the Caravelle Hotel. It not only serves great chilled beer and other alcoholic drinks but from this bar you are able [...]D: 0.7mi10
Things about Hoi An you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
It's easy to recognize this museum from afar even if you haven't been there before: just look or the building that looks like an alien space ship. ...
Sightseeing: Contemporary Art Museum
Tarcoles, Costa Rica
Tarcoles means Crocodile in the native language of 1500 Costa Rica. The only reason to ever go to this town is to see the Crocodile Man Tour. The...
Outdoors Activities: Crocodile Man Tour
If you visit Blesle, don't miss the Antiquities Shop on the Rue de la Bonale. They have many nice things, objects for everyday use and decoration....
If you´re interested in ancient greek culture, you shouldn´t miss the ancient city of Argos, with it´s theater, cut in the rocks and the agora.
General: The ancient city
If you are exactly in the center of the city, you will see a narrow street with stairs between two buildings. On the wall near the street is a sign...
Food: Eating 'Langos' in the center of the city
Whitsunday Islands situated Queensland Capital at Australia. Whitsunday Island can divide into four groups like Northern, Lindeman, The...
Beaches : Whitsunday Yacht Charter
It was a trip to the Entertainment Capital of the World; excitement was at its heights. It was not a bachelor party, neither a hush-hush...
Family & Fun: Reveling at Vegas – Getting Attracted to Distractions
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
No thing important i like go best place
General: Man or mr
For me this bookstore is Heaven on Earth!! I always loved to read while eating a snack or drink a cup of hot chocolate and to find a place that...
Shopping: Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe
Hoedspruit, South Africa
Limpopo, African country must be one amongst the foremost stunning, however under-rated provinces within the country. Hoedspruit, a novel African...
History & Culture: The Hoedspruit Wildlife and Nature Lover's Guide