Full Moon festival in Hoi An, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hoi An > Full Moon festival in Hoi An
- General travel tip
- City center
Firstly, adjust your expectation if you’re thinking along the lines of Thailand luxury tours as this is a destination with so many Full moon parties, Vietnam isn’t all the same thing as Thailand. In Hoi An, the ful moon festival is about showcasing the town’s heritage and culture. Full moon festivals are held on the 14th day of every lunar month which gives travelers at least 12 chances every year. It’s worth checking with local source as to the actual date in a particular month, as I’ve found that dates are sometimes vary.
On the festival night, the Hoi An old town is close to all motorized vehicles at 6pm, regular electric street lighting is turned off, and the lanterns are lit, in the other hand, the full moon festival is a time for Vietnamese to honor their ancestors. Altars bedecked with flowers, fruits, food, candles and incense are set up at the front of many shops and homes. In exchange for this worship, ancestors will hopefully bestow good luck on their families.
Alongside the Thu Bon River are many sellers of floating paper lanterns, these lanterns are folded from colored paper and have a small candle in a square of polystyrene n the base. Competition for sales are fierce, so, tourists are also negotiation hard to buy lanterns, plus the services of two tiny, but skilled women to row tourists our in boats onto the river to float our lanterns downstream.
Besides the Full Moon festival in Hoi An, this ancient centrally located town in Vietnam is one of the must see destinations for anyone who is keen to visit anything from their holiday in Vietnam, it is stunningly beautiful, but also somewhat nervy experience, hundreds of paper lanterns to be lit, in a combustible wooden boat, out in the darkness of the river. Plus, every time you pass under one of the footbridges crossing the river, you had to out your head between your knees to avoid being hit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Vietnam
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- Organizing a Laos vacation from HanoiLaos is a destination that should not be missed when someone planning an Indochina holiday, this lush, green and wonderfully preserved destination is home to some of the most beautiful towns in Asia, one could enjoy a week or longer stay in [...]D: n/a00
- Ben Thanh MarketBen Thanh Market is located just opposite of the round-about of the bus interchange. This market sells almost anything and everything and the best part of it is it is really cheap to get those items. Items such as shirts, shoes, pants, [...]D: 2mi00
- Vietnam holidayVietnam holiday, Online book holidays in Vietnam: http://www.vietnamholiday.us [...]D: 1.7mi00
- Comibie a Cambodia tour packages with LaosIf you have decided to choose a Cambodia tour packages during the Christmas and New Year holiday then you must book well in a head of time to get the best possible quote for any kind of traveling style that you are opting for, nowadays [...]D: 1.1mi00
Things about Hoi An you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
Day 01: Leave Dhaka by domestic flight for Jessore in the morning. On arrival at Jessore Airport our representative will receive and transfer you...
Sightseeing: World largest Mangrove Forest Sundarbans Forest Trips
Vancouver, British Columbia
Enjoying a meal in a relaxing atmosphere, and with a breathtaking view of the False Creek Marina is everything one could wish for when in Vancouver...
Food: The Hurricane Grill
If you go there by car, leave it on one of the parking lots connected to public transports, because the inner city is heavily traffic crowded.
General: Use park and ride spots
If you are at the central square of the city you will see a place labeled 'Langos'. Langos is the name of a kind of pancake which can be served...
General: Eating in Szentendre
Bangladesh cheap package tour -2010-2011 Bangladesh Expeditions (Specialist in River Cruises & Eco-Adventure) There isn't a better or more...
Sightseeing: Tour operator of bangladesh
Icelanders love their coffee. In fact, they enjoy it so much that Iceland is ranked fourth in the world for its coffee habit. It's guessed that...
Food: Where to Eat and Drink in Reykjavik ?
This is the main sight to visit in Casablanca, it is the biggest mosque in Morocco and the 5th largest in the world. You can see the mosque from...
Sightseeing: Hassan II Mosque
Treks Himalaya Pvt. Ltd. an indoor outdoor trekking and tours operative company takes you that further way to guarantee you has an unforgettable...
Outdoors Activities: Treks Himalaya Pvt. Ltd.
The main street of the city is the most beautiful main street I have seen in Transsylvania. The buildings are constructed from the 16th to the...
Sightseeing: Main street of Sibiu
Frank & Alberts is a place where you eat delicious food presented with creativity and care. The dishes we ordered looked so good on the plates we...
Food: Frank & Alberts in Phoenix