Full Moon festival in Hoi An, Vietnam
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hoi An > Full Moon festival in Hoi An
- General travel tip
- City center
Firstly, adjust your expectation if you’re thinking along the lines of Thailand luxury tours as this is a destination with so many Full moon parties, Vietnam isn’t all the same thing as Thailand. In Hoi An, the ful moon festival is about showcasing the town’s heritage and culture. Full moon festivals are held on the 14th day of every lunar month which gives travelers at least 12 chances every year. It’s worth checking with local source as to the actual date in a particular month, as I’ve found that dates are sometimes vary.
On the festival night, the Hoi An old town is close to all motorized vehicles at 6pm, regular electric street lighting is turned off, and the lanterns are lit, in the other hand, the full moon festival is a time for Vietnamese to honor their ancestors. Altars bedecked with flowers, fruits, food, candles and incense are set up at the front of many shops and homes. In exchange for this worship, ancestors will hopefully bestow good luck on their families.
Alongside the Thu Bon River are many sellers of floating paper lanterns, these lanterns are folded from colored paper and have a small candle in a square of polystyrene n the base. Competition for sales are fierce, so, tourists are also negotiation hard to buy lanterns, plus the services of two tiny, but skilled women to row tourists our in boats onto the river to float our lanterns downstream.
Besides the Full Moon festival in Hoi An, this ancient centrally located town in Vietnam is one of the must see destinations for anyone who is keen to visit anything from their holiday in Vietnam, it is stunningly beautiful, but also somewhat nervy experience, hundreds of paper lanterns to be lit, in a combustible wooden boat, out in the darkness of the river. Plus, every time you pass under one of the footbridges crossing the river, you had to out your head between your knees to avoid being hit.
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Vietnam
- Luxury Ho Chi Minh City-Hanoi Tour 10 Days/9 NightsDay 1: Arrive Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam You arrive Tan Son Nhat (Saigon) International Airport. Transfer from Airport to Ho Chi Minh City at any time then transfer to hotel in Ho Chi Minh City for check in. Free for leisure. Overnight in Ho [...]D: 28.7mi00
- Hanoi Old Quarter & Three star hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter.Sunshine Suites Hotel Hanoi is located at 52 Ma May Street, in the heart of Hanoi Capital. Strategically located at one of the busiest street of the Hanoi Old Quarter, just 2 minute walking to the famous Hoan Kiem Lake and many famous [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Motorbike holiday to VietnamIf you are keen on to spend a holiday to Vietnam a bit different from usual itineraries that almost everyone follow it then there’s something about the open road and motorbikes and there’s a little bit more something about motorbike [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Travel GuideVietnam travel guide http://www.nhomphuot.com/tag/phuot [...]D: 507.9mi00
- Vietnam Travel Companies-Custom Vietnam Travel CompanyFirst of all, Custom Vietnam Travel would like to express our deep gratitude to you for visiting our web site and our online services!We are a Professional Tour Operator and tourist services provider in Indochina [...]D: 1.4mi00
Things about Hoi An you may be interested inBe the first who requests a site listing for this page.
More travel tips you might be interested in
A 3-storey blue haveli where Great Mahatma Gandhi was born is converted into a Museum now. The aura of the place makes you feel undoubtedly...
History & Culture: Kirti Mandir
Also at Sorrent you can catch some nice views to the sea. But don't look at the harbour area.
General: Taking some photos
The city is too hot. most of the places have good air conditioning but walking 10 minutes outside in summer is a torture.
General: Too hot
Johor Baharu, Malaysia
This Restaurant Nilla is a very famous among the locals and even among tourists as this restaurant is known for its banana-lead food. Many regard...
Food: Restaurant Nilla
Las Pinas, Philippines
MARBLES resto bar, billiards and ktv located along Alabang Zapote road has been one of Las Pinas' pioneer gimmick spots with its 11 pool tables,...
Night Life & Entertainment: Bar, Billiards,KTV and Live Bands
It is definitely a must if you are in the area. The museum and the city zoo are together, it's a perfect family program as well. The Skansen...
Outdoors Activities: Skansen open-air museum
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Visit Mesilla! The Gadsden Purchase, which annexed Mesilla to the United States from Mexico and established the current international borders of...
General: Gadsden Purchase and Mesilla Plaza
Ponce Inlet, Florida
Dining on deck with dolphins jumping up and down beside you is really a unique experience. We were so lucky to get a glimpse of them playing in the...
Food: Down The Hatch Restaurant
People may not much about these fruits, especially the ones that grow in these parts of the country. The California Citrus Park's main goal...
Sightseeing: California Citrus Park
Hanoi Bac Mai, Vietnam
Top places to visit on your Myanmar Tour Packages # 1: Experience an exciting and really different cruising through the Ayeyarwady River in...
Sightseeing: Top destinations to see in Myanmar