Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- The Partition of VietnamThe Partition of Vietnam The Partition of Vietnam was the establishment of the 17th parallel as the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone in 1954, splitting Vietnam into halves after the First Indochina War. The Geneva Conference was held [...]D: n/a00
- Central Golf Coast Vacation in Vietnam 6 daysDay 1: Arrive in Danang (D) Upon arrival at Danang, you will be greeted by our guide who will begin by escorting you on a tour of the city, including the Cham Museum where you can find out more about this ancient but advanced civilization. [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Highlight ToursWe at World Mate Travel and Trading ( International Tour Operator Licence: No 01-282 /2010/TCDL-GP LHQT)have spent many years establishing our travel business in Indochina and have built a good and reliable team who are suitably qualified, [...]D: n/a00
- Group travel packages to Vietnam by LuxuryTravelVietnam.comLuxury Travel Vietnam Travelers rave about Vietnam 's incredibly friendly people, unique 54 traditions, beautiful landscape and countryside. Vietnam has established its reputation as a unique and genuine Southeast Asian experience. And now, [...]D: n/a00
- Booking luxury holiday to Vietnam for Lunar New Year 2016Luxury Holiday makers heading to Vietnam towards the start of February may find their stay at the luxury resorts coincides with the Traditional Lunar New Year called TET holiday in Vietnamese lunar calendar. The New Year event, which is [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The Burj Al Arab is supposed to be the most expensive hotel in the world. When I went there I told the guard that I was in Dubai for a travel...
Sightseeing: Burj Al Arab
This small museum is worth a look, if you are in the city center of Weingarten. It contains the history of the Alamannen, a tribe living in that...
History & Culture: The Alamannen museum
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
The Wailing Wall or Western Wall is a world famous site of Jerusalem. This is the last remaining wall of Herod's Temple destroyed by the Romans. ...
Sightseeing: The Wailing Wall
Hey, don't forget to buy some of the traditional hand made puppets and jaipuri quilts from the town. The area near Hawa Mahal has a lot of shops...
Shopping: The Hawa Mahal shops
Essaouria is a beach town in south east morocco. Every city in Morocco has a Medina, which means old town. The entire medina is surrounded by a...
Sightseeing: Gates of Essaouira
Mamaia is one of the best points of atraction on the Black Sea Beach on the Romanian teritory. The principal point of atraction in Mamaia is the...
General: Aqua Magic, Mamaia
Beverly Hills, California
Well, everybody knows Rodeo Drive because of Richard Gere and Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Rodeo Drive is really what is depicted in the movies,...
Shopping: Rodeo Drive
Buena Park, California
Knott's Berry Farm is a great distraction for a family or a group of friends. There are so many things to do there! They have a fiesta village...
Family & Fun: Knott's Berry Farm
Even in a small town like Riverside you can find a place which is the entertainment highlight of the city. The Gourmet Detective is definitely a...
Night Life & Entertainment: The Gourmet Detective