Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Tob things to do in Hanoi Old QuarterOld quarter of Hanoi This is what you must visit, a series of connected and very small streets packed with scooters, Buddhist temples and pagodas and it is a short walk away from beautiful Hoan Kiem lake, the soul of the city, the top [...]D: n/a00
- VIETNAM FAMILY VACATIONS 11 DAYSDAY 1: ARRIVE HO CHI MINH CITY On arrival at Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International airport, you will be greeted by our guide and transferred to your hotel in town. Overnight in HCMC. ORVERNIGHT : HO CHI MINH MEALS : DAY 2: HO CHI MINH [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Travel Companies-Custom Vietnam Travel CompanyFirst of all, Custom Vietnam Travel would like to express our deep gratitude to you for visiting our web site and our online services!We are a Professional Tour Operator and tourist services provider in Indochina [...]D: 1.4mi00
- Choosing the best Halong bay toursTo fully discover the beautiful and natural attractions of Vietnam, a cruise on the scenic Halong Bay is truly an unforgettable experience. Almost all of the Vietnam packages tours are including a day or two to explore the Halong Bay, this [...]D: n/a00
- Must see destinations in MyanmarIf you are considering a Myanmar tour packages with your family and children and don’t know the exotic destinations to explore a country that has opened its door to the international travelers just a few years ago. Myanmar previously [...]D: 1.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Verne was born in Nantes and the Museum was opened for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his birth. It's a great place for everyone who...
History & Culture: Jules Verne Museum
Visiting Jerusalem don't miss the Via Dolorosa which is, according to the Christian tradition, the path that the messiah walked with his cross on...
General: Via Dolorosa Stations of the Cross
Petra is now one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. It is a fabulous place from the Eastern tales, simply breathtaking. The old city was...
History & Culture: The Ancient City
It is best to go to Polangui during the summer season. By doing so, you will be able to take advantage of the trip and enjoy it as well. The wet...
Outdoors Activities: Avoiding wet season by going during the summer season
Es gibt das ganze Jahr ueber einen grossen Zirkus und einen Rummel.
Family & Fun: Zirkus und Rummel
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Andersen Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum is one of the interesting museum's that traces the history of something that you...
History & Culture: International Balloon Museum
New Orleans, Louisiana
Lafitte's Blacksmith claims to be one of the oldest bars in the United States, and even if that's not accurate, this pub is pretty old anyway - it...
Night Life & Entertainment: Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar
This is the most amazing children's museum we've been at. My children just couldn't get enough of it. There are so many interactive things to do...
Family & Fun: The Phoenix Children's Museum
While in venice, make sure you walk a lot and watch people. Don't get stuck anywhere and buying stuff is not worth it. It is a cheap place but...
General: Walk a lot and watch people
Lake Powell is one of the best places you can visit if you're looking for some outdoors activities. To me a lake in the desert is simply amazing...
Outdoors Activities: Renting a Boat at Lake Powell