Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Top destination with luxury aspect in VietnamVietnam is home to some of the most unique natural and historical sites one could expect to visit, explore the scenic Halong and emerge you through the magnificent beauty by the thousands of lush green limestone karst, this is a place [...]D: n/a00
- 18 Days Explore Vietnam and Famous BeachesTour description: This trip will give you a chance to relax and admire Vietnamese beautiful nature with visits to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, Hue, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Cat Ba Island, Hai Phong, Phan Thiet, Quy Nhon, Mui [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam Highlight ToursWe at World Mate Travel and Trading ( International Tour Operator Licence: No 01-282 /2010/TCDL-GP LHQT)have spent many years establishing our travel business in Indochina and have built a good and reliable team who are suitably qualified, [...]D: n/a00
- Adventures in CambodiaCambodia tour packages could be divided into few different category of vacation suit for different traveling style, an adventure geek will find Cambodia and or Laos together a great combination for a thrilling holiday, history buffs, will [...]D: n/a00
- Classic Vietnam Sightseeing Tour 10 Days 9 NightsDay 1: Arrival Hanoi Vietnam Today you’ll land in Hanoi. Warmly welcome by Tour Guide & Car Driver at airport then transfer to Hanoi Downtown, a city of lakes, shaded boulevards, public parks, and the capital of Vietnam. Check into your [...]D: 0.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Are so many things/programs to do in this nature park. If you like nature and walking trips, I wound recommanded this place for you and I think one...
Family & Fun: Nature park thun
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
Most of you have seen this frog before, either on TV or in a zoo, but the best place to find them is in Tortugero, Costa Rica. This rain forest in...
Sightseeing: Red Eye Tree Frogs
If you are at Cologne and you are interested in history, but you also want to go on a walk, you should visit the remnants of the roman auqeduct of...
History & Culture: The roman auqeduct
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Pedro Sánchez (On the way to Miches): If you are headed to Miches in the Dominican Republic, take time to stop off in Pedro Sanchez, a rural...
Outdoors Activities: Pedro Sanchez
There is a icon workshop in this little city. For groups there is a presentation how an icon is made. And there is also the possibility to buy...
Sightseeing: Icon workshop in Kalambaka
If you want to visit the wonderful and peaceful island of Schinoussa(Greece)the Blue Star Ferries have two direct lines, one on Sunday and the...
Public Transportation: Travel to Schinoussa
Street markets along Christ church is a great place to get place to buy handicrafts and souvenirs. Many of these handicrafts are handmade...
Shopping: Street markets near Christ Church
Pasir Gudang, Malaysia
Driving into Johor Bahru via the Pasir Gudang Higway would be a great way to experience Malaysia as this highway is the only main highway...
General: Pasir Gudang Highway
Near the cave just about a 1 mile you can find a great place for camping, with grass and a little brook
General: A little camping
New York, New York
Chicago is one of the best musicals of all times. It is the 12th year of its hit and it's still a great success. I personally loved it and the...
Night Life & Entertainment: Chicago the Musical