Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- The Northern of Vietnam(1945–1976)The Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV) (Vietnamese: Việt Nam Dân chủ Cộng hòa), was a communist state that ruled the northern half of Vietnam from 1954 until 1976 following the Geneva Conference and laid claim to all of Vietnam [...]D: n/a00
- VIETNAM FAMILY VACATIONS 11 DAYSDAY 1: ARRIVE HO CHI MINH CITY On arrival at Ho Chi Minh's Tan Son Nhat International airport, you will be greeted by our guide and transferred to your hotel in town. Overnight in HCMC. ORVERNIGHT : HO CHI MINH MEALS : DAY 2: HO CHI MINH [...]D: n/a00
- Amazing Mekong waterways in 10 DaysDAY 1: ARRIVAL SAIGON (D) You will be welcomed at HCMC Airport and then embark on a city tour of the former Saigon, including The Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Cathedral and the Old Post Office, the War Remnants Museum, Giac Lam Pagoda, [...]D: 1.1mi00
- Best way to from Noi bai airport to Hanoi centerVietnam Sunshine Travel is specializing in package and customized tours, cruise tours, hotel booking... for travelers to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We are licensed as an International Tour Operator Company (License No: 01-005/TCDL-GP [...]D: 0.3mi00
- Comibie a Cambodia tour packages with LaosIf you have decided to choose a Cambodia tour packages during the Christmas and New Year holiday then you must book well in a head of time to get the best possible quote for any kind of traveling style that you are opting for, nowadays [...]D: 1.1mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Goa, Burkina Faso
About to turn 30? Well, there's no reason to panic. In fact, you should enjoy the new stage of your life. However, there are some things one must...
General: 7 Must Visit Destinations Before You Turn 30
If you like walking, travel along the trace of the old roman waterpipe, nearly 100km long. You can enjoy a nice nature and see the leftovers of...
General: The roman waterpipe
You really should try the fish meals at Galway, always fresh from the sea.
General: The well known fishermen city
Muckross Estate is something you must see if you are in Killarney, although it is out of the city, some 2-3 miles from the city center. Take a tour...
History & Culture: Muckross Estate
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The whole street look like the a shopping paradise, though you have to be aware, that many of the products are fake or brought into the country...
Shopping: Petaling Street
Trekeffect is an online tool that help you plan your trips.Trekeffect lets you discover new destinations, know what to do in those destinations and...
General: Plan Your Trip With Trekeffect
We were pleasantly surprised by the good quality of food in the Sahara Mediterranean Cuisine the last time we went to Lexington. They really use...
Food: Sahara Mediterranean Cuisine
Being a Harley Davidson motorcycle shop, the House of Harley you will find only merchandise that has this brand-name on it. However, even if you...
Shopping: House of Harley
Go place, see and absorb the culture as if it was your own
Presque Isle, Maine
Maine is known as the best place for getting lobsters. Buying hard shell lobsters, in contrast to soft shell, gives you more meat for your dollar.