Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Vietnam Cooking Tour By Greentrailtourism.comDetail Itinerary Day 1 : Arrival Ha Noi (D) Arrive at Noi Bai Airport and coach transfer to hotel. Take a cyclo, the Vietnamese version of the rickshaw to Indochine Restaurant for an introduction to Vietnamese food. Set in a beautifully [...]D: n/a10
- Top 3 luxury destination with luxury holiday makersHanoi: A capital city of Vietnam with population of about seven millions with a glorious history dating back to over thousands years ago attracts visitors from everywhere; there are a lot of things to see while in Hanoi and no vacation is [...]D: n/a00
- 18 Days Explore Vietnam and Famous BeachesTour description: This trip will give you a chance to relax and admire Vietnamese beautiful nature with visits to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, Hue, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Cat Ba Island, Hai Phong, Phan Thiet, Quy Nhon, Mui [...]D: n/a00
- Tob things to do in Hanoi Old QuarterOld quarter of Hanoi This is what you must visit, a series of connected and very small streets packed with scooters, Buddhist temples and pagodas and it is a short walk away from beautiful Hoan Kiem lake, the soul of the city, the top [...]D: n/a00
- All inclusive holiday to VietnamThere is no doubt that a luxury holiday to Vietnam has been promoted very well, there are several good tour operators that offering unbeatable packages and all inclusive tours and vacation packages to anyone with any kind of traveling style [...]D: 0.6mi00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Oxford, United Kingdom
Sightseeing buses may seem as a waste of time and money, but in the case of towns like Oxford I would say that they are the perfect choice. Oxford...
History & Culture: Sightseeing in Oxford with the bus
This was the first Christian abbey and monastery in Hungary at the very beginning of the 13th century. The building is beautiful, the monks are...
History & Culture: Benedictan Archabbey
There is a new hotel in Tiruchirappali called " Grand Gardenia " Ph: 91 9585644000 email; email@example.com I've had good...
General: New hotel in Tiruchirappalli
Monforte D'alba, Italy
Some parts of the estate are as old as 1600, it is really a nice place, you can see how an Italian estate looked like hundred years ago. The...
Food: Azienda agricola Fantino Alessandro e Gian Natale
If you plan to visit the Colosseum in the tourist season, go there in the morning. That has got two reasons: 1. A lot of tourists gruops come...
History & Culture: The ancient Colosseum
The Hague, Netherlands
Restaurant The Hague: Welcome Restaurant Alexander You are looking for a restaurant in The Hague, welcome at Restaurant Alexander in the...
Food: Restaurant Alexander in The Hague
El Paso, Texas
Just as any other city, El Paso has every kind of operator with what you can move around in and out of the city. The El Paso Local Transportation...
Public Transportation: El Paso Local Transportation
If you visit the island of Oahu in Hawaii, make sure that you take a day to spend at Lani Kai beach. It is the most amazing beach i have been to....
General: Best Beaches Ever
Hanoi Bac Mai, Vietnam
Top places to visit on your Myanmar Tour Packages # 1: Experience an exciting and really different cruising through the Ayeyarwady River in...
Sightseeing: Top destinations to see in Myanmar
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Ninh Binh: Particularly Trang An within an hour distance from Hanoi near the southern margin of the Red river delta, the Trang An landscape complex...
General: Holiday to less traveled road in Vietnam