Why do you need to Vietnam?, Hanoi
Travel tips > Asia > Vietnam > Hanoi > Why do you need to Vietnam?
- General travel tip
- City center
Let’s admit it, when it comes to travel, Vietnam gets a bit of a bad rep. Before coming here all I heard were stories of travel scams, robberies, aggressive touts, and warnings that I’d be treated like a walking dollar sign. I was beginning to wonder whether I even wanted to spend a full month in this country, but 31 days later as my Vietnamese visa is about to expire, I am sad to leave Vietnam behind.
I’ll admit I’m relatively new to Southeast Asia, and have only covered three countries in the past three months, but Vietnam has left the strongest impression on me by far.
So what makes Vietnam so special?
1. The People
The people are warm, kind, and love to laugh and smile. It is in this country where I have met some of the most caring locals.
When I was sick in Hoi An, it was the woman who runs the Green Moss restaurant who took it upon herself to get me all better. She prepared ginger tea with honey for me, gifted me with a mint balm to rub on my neck and my chest, urged me to wear a scarf to bed, and then checked up on me daily whenever she saw me cycling around town or eating at her restaurant.
In Vietnam people have helped me when I looked lost, locals I met on a train have offered to show me around their hometowns (for free! Further proof that I’m not just a walking ATM), and business owners have been courteous to me even when I didn’t eat at their restaurant or didn’t take their tour.
2. The Food
Vietnam has been an explosion of flavors! Most dinners Sam and I have eaten in this country have been silent because we’ve both been gorging on local delicacies like the food in front of our plates is about to disappear. We’ve been known to order four different dishes in one go because there’s just so much new food to sample.
Whether I was learning to cook Vietnamese food in a dim lit kitchen with no ventilation (picture beads of sweat running down my back and hopefully not onto my food), or enjoying a meal at a local farm in the outskirts of Hoi An, the food was spectacular.
Some of my favourite dishes in this country have been bánh xèo (a rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts) and fresh spring rolls. Fresh, flavourful, healthy, filling – what else do you need in a meal?
3. The Options
Then there is the diversity that comes with travelling in such a big country. I can guarantee that Vietnam will not bore you with its possibilities!
Want to travel down the banks of the Mekong Delta and experience the chaos of vendors at work in a floating market? Do you want to get lost in Saigon’s back alleys as you go in search of the best pho? How about getting clothes custom made in Hoi An? Or can I interest you with a cruise of Ha Long Bay where you’ll be waking up to jagged karst mountains outside your boat? You could also spend your time in Hanoi drinking bia hoi at a little street side bar equipped with plastic children’s furniture? Or if you’re feeling a bit more culturally inclined, go for a hill trek in Sapa where you can do a home stay with the ethnic tribes that call this place home?
If any of this sounds interesting, then you need to come to Vietnam already!
3rd Floor, My Dinh plaza buiding, Hanoi, Vietnam
How to get there:
By plane, car
On the web:
Recent travel tips for Hanoi
- Adventures in CambodiaCambodia tour packages could be divided into few different category of vacation suit for different traveling style, an adventure geek will find Cambodia and or Laos together a great combination for a thrilling holiday, history buffs, will [...]D: n/a00
- Experience a magical mix of beaches, post colonial,Unesco...16 Days trip to Vietnam by Luxury Travel Vietnam Outlined tour program: Day 1: Arrival Hanoi (D) Day 2: Hanoi (B/L) Day 3: Half Day City Hanoi with visit artist and dine in style, (B/D) Day 4: Hanoi - Halong Bay Natural World Heritage [...]D: 1.1mi00
- 18 Days Explore Vietnam and Famous BeachesTour description: This trip will give you a chance to relax and admire Vietnamese beautiful nature with visits to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, Hue, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, Cat Ba Island, Hai Phong, Phan Thiet, Quy Nhon, Mui [...]D: n/a00
- Vietnam tour packagesHanoi Sky Travel has now become one of the best tour operator in Vietnam and has successfully helped thousands of travelers realize their dream of traveling to Vietnam.HST provides customers with abundantly and detailed destination [...]D: 0.5mi00
- How to book ast minute all inclusive Vietnam packages toursIf you are looking into some great information on a last minute Vietnam packages tours you may think of a holiday that is more flexible so you just book it a way as this kind of last minute holiday packages are on offer for limited time, of [...]D: n/a00
Things about Hanoi you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Brief Introduction of Yangshuo: Yangshuo is famous for its picturesque landscape and the hopping West Street. Here you must be absorbed in the...
Sightseeing: Different Li River in Different Seasons.
When any of us think about the Galapagos we usually think of huge tortoises and Charles Darwin the man who created the idea of evolution. The...
Sightseeing: Charles Darwin Station
The city was occupied and reconquered many times. This is why the city has a 4,5 km coastwall protection. You can see it wherever you go is...
History & Culture: Walls, lookouts and gateways
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hi I travel to Tel Aviv several times a year and I have found that renting an apartment for short term is much cheaper than renting a hotel room...
General: Recommendation for accommodation in Tel Aviv
Getting to Skopje and sightseeing the city!
General: Skopje trip
Pasir Gudang, Malaysia
Driving into Johor Bahru via the Pasir Gudang Higway would be a great way to experience Malaysia as this highway is the only main highway...
General: Pasir Gudang Highway
In the cave the temperature is about 7 Celsius, wear tick clothes
General: Wear tick clothes
Serangoon Garden Estate, Singapore
BZB is a bar located along serangoon garden estate. This is frequented by many of the regulars as well as many groups of people who like to chill...
Night Life & Entertainment: BZB (Bar)
Balboa Island, California
Go down there to visit family and friends. if you don't have any, in the area, I would go for a walk to see the cute houses and drink some coffee....
Family & Fun: Visit family and friends
Even though you might not be a real railroad fan, the California State Railroad Museum is still a place that you can easily visit without getting...
History & Culture: California State Railroad Museum