Matthias Church, Budapest, Hungary
Travel tips > Europe > Hungary > Budapest > Matthias Church
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It's building style is a mixed one because of the changes that were made on it throughout the centuries. It was even converted into a mosque when the Turkish occupied the city. Its walls were whitewashed and texts from the Koran were painted on it.
It is beautifully renovated now, even some of the medieval frescoes were found under the whitewash.
Its rose windows are my favorite, but the whole place is so grandiose. No wonder, Hungarian kings were crowned here for centuries.
The admission is very cheap, so you definitely have visit this place if you are in Budapest.
Adults 2 Euro
Students/Seniors 1,5 Euro
(The currency in Hungary is Forint)
Monday-Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday: 1pm - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Budapest
- The Hungarian ParliamentThe Parliament of Hungary is one of the most beautiful parliaments in Europe so don't miss to visit it if you are in Budapest. The entrance is not very cheap, it is 20$ per person, but it really worth it. For that you get a 1.5 hour guided [...]D: 1mi00
- Budapest zooBudapest has a great zoo. The entrance fee is pretty cheap and you can see diverse animals there. I suggest you to visit it if you travel to Budapest. [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Free Budapest Walking ToursCome along on the daily Free Budapest Walking Tour at 10.30 a.m, which is an informative and entertaining general walking tour around the best sites Pest and Buda offers. If you are interested in the Communism with its undercover stories [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Gellért SpaThe Gellért Spa is the most prestigious thermal bath in Budapest. It has outdoor pool with artificial waves and thermal pools and saunas indoor. The thermal pool sections are separated. Massage & ticket reservation: firstname.lastname@example.org [...]D: 0.7mi00
- House of TerrorIt's the most realistic, accurate and also depressing museum I've ever seen about communism and nazism. Th building itself was the headquarter of the hyngarian political police in during the fcism and also during the comunism. With a lot of [...]D: 1.4mi00
Things about Budapest you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
We had so much fun in Casa del Popolo, that every time we go to Montreal we step by the pub and have a drink and a sandwich. They have an...
Night Life & Entertainment: Casa del Popolo in Montreal
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
After eating Costa Rican food for days, you might want to change it up and head down to Jungle Love. This is one of the best restaurants in Costa...
Food: Jungle Love
I find very interesting the Odense International Film Festival, I hope to have time to visit it soon. In case you want to know more about it: ...
History & Culture: The Odense International Film Festival
Rent a scooter in Paralia, and go to the mount Olymp, great experience!
General: My best tip: try out the scooter-traveling!
Visit the museum of ancient roman relicts and the roman baths in the city center.
General: The museum of ancient roman relicts
Alba Iulia, Romania
The Carolina Fortress of Alba Iulia is considered one of the seven wonders of Romania. It is a compelling group of buildings in very good state and...
History & Culture: Carolina Fortress
Arriving to Covasna from Sfantu Gheorghe is an easy task, the easiest way being by minibus. A transport company called Ecosil has 7-9 connections...
Public Transportation: From Sfantu Gheorghe to Covasna, by minibus
I was here as a kid but I remember that very close to this city (or maybe it was in the city...) is a place where you can see dolphin shows.
Family & Fun: Dolphin shows in Navodari
When you head into Izmir, you might wander why because it's not really a sight seeing place. But don't worry, if you head to the water and walk...
Sightseeing: The Big Statue of Attaturk
Known as the US' oldest brewing company, the Yuengling Brewery originates from Pottsville, Pennsylvania established by a German immigrant,...
History & Culture: Yuengling Brewery