Matthias Church, Budapest, Hungary
Travel tips > Europe > Hungary > Budapest > Matthias Church
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It's building style is a mixed one because of the changes that were made on it throughout the centuries. It was even converted into a mosque when the Turkish occupied the city. Its walls were whitewashed and texts from the Koran were painted on it.
It is beautifully renovated now, even some of the medieval frescoes were found under the whitewash.
Its rose windows are my favorite, but the whole place is so grandiose. No wonder, Hungarian kings were crowned here for centuries.
The admission is very cheap, so you definitely have visit this place if you are in Budapest.
Adults 2 Euro
Students/Seniors 1,5 Euro
(The currency in Hungary is Forint)
Monday-Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday: 1pm - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Budapest
- Cruise on DanubeThis cruise is lasts 1,5 hour. During the cruise more of the main sights can be seen (Parliament, Caste district, Gellért Hill, Palace of Arts, National Theatre etc.) Traditional dishes, drinks and music can be enjoyed during the cruise. [...]D: 0.6mi00
- Memento ParkIt is a very bizarre place, a unique collection of Communist memories. You would see there giant Engels, Marx and Stalins and also memorials of the Communist Martyrs. As far as I know, this is the only museum of this kind in the world, so [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Synagogue and Jewish MuseumThe Great Synagogue is the largest in Europe. It is situated in Erzsebet Town, and built in Byzantine-Moorish style with beautiful arches and windows. The interior of the building is also wonderful and huge. My favorite was the ceiling, [...]D: 0.8mi00
- The Hungarian ParliamentThe Parliament of Hungary is one of the most beautiful parliaments in Europe so don't miss to visit it if you are in Budapest. The entrance is not very cheap, it is 20$ per person, but it really worth it. For that you get a 1.5 hour guided [...]D: 1mi00
- Budapest zooBudapest has a great zoo. The entrance fee is pretty cheap and you can see diverse animals there. I suggest you to visit it if you travel to Budapest. [...]D: 0.4mi00
Things about Budapest you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ski Dubai is located inside Mall of the Emirates. When I was there I was just amazed about how they had managed to build this thing inside a mall,...
Family & Fun: Ski Dubai
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
There are many beautiful and well preserved Victorian houses in Charlottetown, but most of them are private property and people live in them so you...
History & Culture: Beaconsfield Historic House
The Museum der Westküste is a fantastic little museum that you would have never expected on a little island like Föhr. The relatively new...
History & Culture: Museum der Westüste
If you want to feel party, go to Alicante during the time of the 'Hogueras de San Juan' at the 24th of june. A lot of exceptional sculptures are...
General: There you should go!
In Roubaix there is a “must see” sight called La Piscine (The swimming pool). It is in fact a museum (Museum of Art and Industry) opened after...
Sightseeing: La Piscine - A museum on top of a swimming pool
If you are interested in history and you like old castles, don't miss the Castle of Eger. It is very well maintained, it has a museum, a torture...
History & Culture: The Castle of Eger
New Delhi, India
Rajasthan - the land of exquisite monuments, picturesque lakes, blossoming gardens and it is one of the most admired tourism destination of the...
General: Monuments, forts, palaces and lakes in Rajasthan
This website has events in the area and things to do that are not amusement park or theme park related. Great if you're not the roller coaster type!
Family & Fun: Travel Resource
Sightseeing and eating at local restaurants are the first things you do when you travel to a foreign country/city. And with the City Taste Tours...
Sightseeing: City Taste Tours
Santa Ana, California
One of the best burgers in town you will find only at In-N-Out Burger joint which is highly popular among the locals. I've been there on a...
Food: In-N-Out Burger