Matthias Church, Budapest, Hungary
Travel tips > Europe > Hungary > Budapest > Matthias Church
- History & Culture travel tip
- City center
It's building style is a mixed one because of the changes that were made on it throughout the centuries. It was even converted into a mosque when the Turkish occupied the city. Its walls were whitewashed and texts from the Koran were painted on it.
It is beautifully renovated now, even some of the medieval frescoes were found under the whitewash.
Its rose windows are my favorite, but the whole place is so grandiose. No wonder, Hungarian kings were crowned here for centuries.
The admission is very cheap, so you definitely have visit this place if you are in Budapest.
Adults 2 Euro
Students/Seniors 1,5 Euro
(The currency in Hungary is Forint)
Monday-Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday: 1pm - 5pm
Recent travel tips for Budapest
- Dinner & Cruise1,5 hour long cruise on the Danube with live Hungarian music. During the sightseeing traditional dishes & drinks are served for guests. The main sights are the Parliament, Chain Bridge, Gellert Hill and Royal Castle. [...]D: 0.6mi00
- State Opera HouseThis is something you really shouldn't miss. The building of the State Opera House in Budapest is one of the most beautiful ones in the city. The shows are not very expensive and of a very good quality with great performances. There are [...]D: 1mi00
- Free Budapest Walking ToursCome along on the daily Free Budapest Walking Tour at 10.30 a.m, which is an informative and entertaining general walking tour around the best sites Pest and Buda offers. If you are interested in the Communism with its undercover stories [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Wall climbing in BudapestThere are several cheap opportunities for wall climbing in Budapest. In Summer it's almost like a hot sauna in an expensive spa ... [...]D: n/a00
- House of TerrorIt's the most realistic, accurate and also depressing museum I've ever seen about communism and nazism. Th building itself was the headquarter of the hyngarian political police in during the fcism and also during the comunism. With a lot of [...]D: 1.4mi00
Things about Budapest you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
The Fastnacht(or in 'bärndütsch' fasnacht) is one of the bigest event in this muliticultural country, irrespectively of different...
Night Life & Entertainment: 'Fastnacht'
Checkpoint Charlie was a watchtower from where they controlled the area of the Berlin Wall that divided West and East Berlin so that nobody can...
History & Culture: Checkpoint Charlie Museum
The Alhambra is definitely a must see. It is the most beautiful of all Granada's great buildings and other Arabic memories. The Alhambra is...
History & Culture: The Alhambra
In Roubaix there is a “must see” sight called La Piscine (The swimming pool). It is in fact a museum (Museum of Art and Industry) opened after...
Sightseeing: La Piscine - A museum on top of a swimming pool
Don't go to the so called 'Rion' beach, it´s just real touristic crap.
Outdoors Activities: Rion beach
If you like literature, Writers Museum is something you should definitely see. Here you can have a taste of the immense literary past the city has....
History & Culture: Dublin Writers Museum
Huahine, French Polynesia
Tahiti is famous for growing great vanilla. Be sure to take a tour of Huahine and visit the vanilla farms where you can buy fresh vanilla beans to...
History & Culture: Vanilla Farms in Huahine
Dakar Bango, Senegal
Needs someone to trust ,write me with id(Bintaphdesmond@yahoo.com.sg)
History & Culture: Trusted one
Ponce Inlet, Florida
Dining on deck with dolphins jumping up and down beside you is really a unique experience. We were so lucky to get a glimpse of them playing in the...
Food: Down The Hatch Restaurant
A nice way to see parts of Portland is to board a vintage trolley, a service running from the first Sunday of March until the last Sunday before...
Public Transportation: Portland Vintage Trolleys