The famous Murals, Belfast, United Kingdom
Travel tips > Europe > United Kingdom > Belfast > The famous Murals
- Sightseeing travel tip
- City center
They divide the city into republican and loyalist territories, or Irish and English, or Catholic and Protestant, as you like it, since the beginning of the period called The Troubles. They commemorate events and people and also are territory borders.
Not a long time ago it wasn't safe at all to just walk into the 'opposite' region, but now there is no such problem, especially for tourists.
You can go on foot and see them or you can also take one of the famous black cabs of Belfast and take a mural tour, it's not very cheap, but much more comfortable than walking.
All over Belfast.
Recent travel tips for United Kingdom
- Free ConcertsThere are some extraordinary organ concerts in Westminster Abbey on every Sunday afternoon from 17:45. They take approximately half an hour and the acoustic is amazing in the Abbey. There are various well-known artists who are playing and [...]D: 2.2mi00
- Eagle & Child pub in OxfordGo and see this very nice pub, the Eagle & Child in Oxford. If you like fantasy novels, you should visit it, because JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis used to come and drink here very often. They also have very good food. [...]D: 7.1mi10
- One day bus ticketIn my opinion, the best way to visit London, especially if you are there for only a few days is to buy a one day bus ticket. This is 3.80 pounds (in 2009) and the convenient is that you can try in this way the famous red buses. Going on the [...]D: n/a00
- The ‘Lotus Chalets' are built out of mud and timber &...Lotus chalets, Canal road, Migahajandura, Sooriyawewa, Sri Lanka. [...]D: 1.9mi10
- British MuseumIf you don't want or you don't have so much money to spend while visiting London, you should check out British Museum. Except exhibitions that are charged, the visit to the museum is free. The museum is opened daily, between 10 AM and 5:30 [...]D: 1.5mi00
Things about Belfast you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
In Shanghai, ancient temples nestled between high-rise buildings are not an uncommon sight. Jingan Temple, a Buddhist temple built in the 3rd...
History & Culture: Jingan Temple
During these two weeks we drove the total of 4.000 something km visiting four countries.
General: 14 Day Road Trip in Europe
They have great Italian food and good jazz all the time. They have a TV and you can freely read newspapers and magazines. Altogether it's a rather...
Night Life & Entertainment: Caffè Megara
I think the Sistine Chapel (called Cappella Sistina in Italian) must have seen when you're travelling to Rome, by taking a tour in the Vatican...
General: Sistine Chapel - Cappella Sistina
Also at Sorrent you can catch some nice views to the sea. But don't look at the harbour area.
General: Taking some photos
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
This Museum is a great place to know more about the Chinese origin in Johor Bahru. This would be the ideal place if you would like to know more...
History & Culture: Chinese Heritage Muesum
Hanoi, Papua New Guinea
Vietnam shares its borders with Laos, Cambodia and China. It presents wonderful opportunities to discover it’s natural and wonder tourist...
General: How to choose a Vietnam luxury tour?
The nicest place in Napa, I dare say. It's a French restaurant, as its name suggests and has an incredibly good cuisine. Everything is simply...
Raleigh, North Carolina
We went to see the oldest and the most famous house in Raleigh where the United State's 17th President, Andrew Johnson, was born. It is located...
History & Culture: Mordecai Historic Park
While in venice, make sure you walk a lot and watch people. Don't get stuck anywhere and buying stuff is not worth it. It is a cheap place but...
General: Walk a lot and watch people