Montserrat Shrine, Barcelona, Spain
Travel tips > Europe > Spain > Barcelona > Montserrat Shrine
- Outdoors Activities travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the statue was carved by St.Lucas in about 50 AD. later it was hidden from the Moors and discovered in the 9th century in miraculous circumstances.
The monastery is almost on the top of the 1300 m high mountain, and the view from there is breathtaking. Besides that the buildings are beautifully decorated ant it's huge. The Black Madonna is a wooden statue of the Virgin with the child Jesus.
You should also listen to the Escolania, one of the oldest boy's choir in Europa that dates back to the 13th century. They sing every day at 13pm the Salve Regina and the hymn of the monastery.
How to get there:
Go with train from Barcelona, with the Ferrocarrils de a Generalitat de Catalunya, there are 12 trains per day leaving from Placa d'Espagna. The cable way to the monastery is included into the price, which is 12 Euros roundtrip.
Recent travel tips for Barcelona
- Barcelona guideThe best that i can found to get local informations is http://www.world-rt.com/ written by a local guy, it helps a lot to plan our daily vacation [...]D: 0.2mi40
- CDLC (Carpe Diem Lounge Club)It is the best place for anyone who loves parties and beach atmosphere. There is an amazing garden on the beach with great cocktails and great music in the inside. You can also dance inside and there are nice lounges as well. The whole [...]D: 1.4mi00
- Top places to visit in BarcelonaTop places to visit in Barcelona as I see it: - Parc Güell - Ramblas - Sagrada Familia - Beaches – all of them, Port Olimpic included! - Cathedral and Born quarter - Encants vells - old traditional market near Glories square You [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Casa Milá (La Pedrera)Casa Mila may sound more familiar to everyone by the name La Pedrera. It is Antoni Gaudi, the famous Spanish architect's most famous work. It is a beautiful building constructed of natural stone and having very interesting shapes - [...]D: 0.7mi10
- La PedreraMaybe it's enough if I say the name Antoni Gaudi. He was the architect of the building which gives home to many exhibitions and is a 'must see' of Barcelona. The building itself does not have one straight line, it's all like waves [...]D: 0.7mi00
Things about Barcelona you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Take a look at the 'Zeppelin museum' in the city center, at the lake of constance. Afterwards you can enjoy the promenade at the lake.
General: Take a look what the city has got to offer
In der Nähe von Immenstaad gibt es einen schönen großen Abenteuerpark, wo man Klettert. Auch wenn man ein bisschen Höchenangst hat, ist es dort...
General: Nahe von Immenstaad
If you are at Heraklion, visit the archaeoligical museum. There you can see famous findings, also the bull´s head called Monitaurus and the Snakes...
History & Culture: Archaeological museum of Iraklio
Can someone tell me how cost to rent a scooter per day in paralia greece
1°, 2° giorno: Tripoli, visita della città, dei souk, museo. Pernottamento in hotel 3/4 stelle. 3°: Tripoli - Leptis Magna - Gharyan: Visita...
General: Ghadames old medina
This satay restaurant is very famous for serving authentic Malay food known as satays. Satays are meat usually chicken, beef or mutton that is...
Sightseeing: Capitol Satay Celup Restaurant
The inner city of Sighisoara (Schassburg in German and Segesvar in Hungarian)is wonderful. The city has all the traits of the Saxon architecture as...
History & Culture: The Inner City
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Maybe one of the most famous avenues in America (being constructed for the first time in 1870), the Atlantic City Boardwalk is both a relaxing and...
Sightseeing: Atlantic City Boardwalk
The Zilker Botanical Garden is an amazing place in the city, it has also been called "the jewel in the heart of Austin" and with reason,...
Sightseeing: Zilker Botanical Garden
Long Beach, California
Either for a date, a business meeting or just a friendly gathering, the Corks Away Wine Cruises are great regardless of your choice of...
Night Life & Entertainment: Corks Away Wine Cruises