Montserrat Shrine, Barcelona, Spain
Travel tips > Europe > Spain > Barcelona > Montserrat Shrine
- Outdoors Activities travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the statue was carved by St.Lucas in about 50 AD. later it was hidden from the Moors and discovered in the 9th century in miraculous circumstances.
The monastery is almost on the top of the 1300 m high mountain, and the view from there is breathtaking. Besides that the buildings are beautifully decorated ant it's huge. The Black Madonna is a wooden statue of the Virgin with the child Jesus.
You should also listen to the Escolania, one of the oldest boy's choir in Europa that dates back to the 13th century. They sing every day at 13pm the Salve Regina and the hymn of the monastery.
How to get there:
Go with train from Barcelona, with the Ferrocarrils de a Generalitat de Catalunya, there are 12 trains per day leaving from Placa d'Espagna. The cable way to the monastery is included into the price, which is 12 Euros roundtrip.
Recent travel tips for Barcelona
- La Sagrada FamiliaThis is Antoni Gaudi's finest creation. It's an epic church topped with 4 spires ascending to the heavens. Despite still being under construction, it's still very 'visit worthy'. Well, ask the 2+ million people that visit there per [...]D: 1.3mi00
- Las RamblasLas Ramblas is basically the Champs Elysees of Barcelona and even more. You can find here everything. It is about 2 km long and is lined with trees. Las Ramblas is split up into five sections. One for street artists, one for flower [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Barcelona Museum of Contemporary ArtsWhile visiting Barcelona one cannot miss the Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Arts. The building fits perfectly into the modern image of the city. The museum features the works of Spanish, Catalonian and international artists and has a [...]D: n/a00
- La PedreraMaybe it's enough if I say the name Antoni Gaudi. He was the architect of the building which gives home to many exhibitions and is a 'must see' of Barcelona. The building itself does not have one straight line, it's all like waves [...]D: 0.7mi00
- Casa Milá (La Pedrera)Casa Mila may sound more familiar to everyone by the name La Pedrera. It is Antoni Gaudi, the famous Spanish architect's most famous work. It is a beautiful building constructed of natural stone and having very interesting shapes - [...]D: 0.7mi10
Things about Barcelona you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
DHAKA CITY TOUR (HALF DAY) Normally this tour will be in the morning and will last 3-4 hours. On this tour our experienced guide will show you ...
General: Dhaka travel guide
This is one of the typical windmills found in Northern Germany as well as all over Holland, Denmark and generally all of the Northern German states...
Sightseeing: Wrixum Wind Mill
I find very interesting the Odense International Film Festival, I hope to have time to visit it soon. In case you want to know more about it: ...
History & Culture: The Odense International Film Festival
Newyork, United Kingdom
Well, it’s amazing. The miracle has been done. Well done.
When I've arrived in Torino I've visited 'il Palazzo Reale' .
General: Palazzo Reale, Turin
1°, 2° giorno: Tripoli, visita della città, dei souk, museo. Pernottamento in hotel 3/4 stelle. 3°: Tripoli - Leptis Magna - Gharyan: Visita...
General: Ghadames old medina
This burial ground is located in the south of Marrakesh and it is a beautiful example of the Arabic art and architecture. It is a burial place...
Sightseeing: The Saadian Tombs
Port-of-spain, Trinidad And Tobago
Woodford Square is one of the nicest place to visit it.
General: Woodford Square
Santa Ana, California
Nothing is better than after a long day of walking and exploring to sit down somewhere where the people are nice and have a good meal. We...
Food: Taco Adobe Grill
Santa Barbara, California
Great thing to check out while in Santa Barbara would be the beaches. Every beach is wonderful but I really recommend Butterfly Beach. Stunningly...
Outdoors Activities: Things to do in Santa Barbara