Montserrat Shrine, Barcelona, Spain
Travel tips > Europe > Spain > Barcelona > Montserrat Shrine
- Outdoors Activities travel tip
- City center
According to the legend, the statue was carved by St.Lucas in about 50 AD. later it was hidden from the Moors and discovered in the 9th century in miraculous circumstances.
The monastery is almost on the top of the 1300 m high mountain, and the view from there is breathtaking. Besides that the buildings are beautifully decorated ant it's huge. The Black Madonna is a wooden statue of the Virgin with the child Jesus.
You should also listen to the Escolania, one of the oldest boy's choir in Europa that dates back to the 13th century. They sing every day at 13pm the Salve Regina and the hymn of the monastery.
How to get there:
Go with train from Barcelona, with the Ferrocarrils de a Generalitat de Catalunya, there are 12 trains per day leaving from Placa d'Espagna. The cable way to the monastery is included into the price, which is 12 Euros roundtrip.
Recent travel tips for Barcelona
- BaumaThe only good thing I can tell about Bauma is that they have good jazz. The rest is a little strange. Some things are impossibly overpriced, like the beer and the snacks. You pay the same money for a 33 cl bottle and a 25 cl glass of [...]D: 0.8mi00
- Barcelona itineraryA good way to discover the city it is to do a theme itinerary, in this page http://www.world-rt.com/travel/theme-barcelona.php there are 12 different itineraries, all written by a local guy, that we can choose, very interesting [...]D: 0.4mi00
- Top places to visit in BarcelonaTop places to visit in Barcelona as I see it: - Parc Güell - Ramblas - Sagrada Familia - Beaches – all of them, Port Olimpic included! - Cathedral and Born quarter - Encants vells - old traditional market near Glories square You [...]D: 0.2mi00
- Monument a ColonThe Monument a Colon was built in 1888 for the Universal Exhibition. As its name suggests, the monument was raised to commemorate the discovery of America and the discoverer, Christopher Columbus. It is located right at the end of las [...]D: 0.2mi10
- Nou CampThe home of FC Barcelona who play in La Liga (1st Division). Try to catch a football game here in this stadium of nearly 80,000, even if you're not a football fan. While visiting Barcelona, you owe it to yourself to experience their [...]D: 2.5mi00
Things about Barcelona you may be interested in
More travel tips you might be interested in
Good food, live music, fantastic view - this place is just perfect to spend the perfect evening, listening live music, have the best swiss food...
Food: hotel Restaurant Alpha-Thun
Check your holiday acommodation 100%, if you rent a holiday house.
General: Holiday house
If you want to reach other cities from there, go to the main bus station in the city center, directly adjacent to the harbour.
Public Transportation: Reaching other cities from Gythion
A general guideline when shopping in Batam – YOU BARGAIN, even at shopping malls, you BARGAIN! That’s a tip! Other than that, Batam is...
Shopping: Shopping Tips in Batam
Akihabara is the well known part of Tokyo, where you can get electronic articles for a cheap price.It´s cheap, because all the things are used,...
Shopping: Electronic articles
Though a little bit expensive, the Van Gogh Museum is an artistic jewel among all the naturalistic or historic museums that can be found in...
History & Culture: Van Gogh Museum
It is good idea to have a rubber boat with you
General: Lake Dragan good to know
Lilla Torg is Malmo's nicest square. It is part of the old downtown and there are a lot of great pubs and restaurants there. All the buildings...
Night Life & Entertainment: Lilla Torg
I think a trip to Pittsburgh is not complete without a visit to the Cathedral of Learning. From far it looks like a skyscraper, an immensely tall...
History & Culture: Cathedral of Learning
Nice place in th winter, if you want to go skiing, without paying so much money like at Ischgl.
Outdoors Activities: Skiing in Schruns