travelgrove Travel Guides

Calbayog Travel Guide, Philippines

The city of Calbayog is one of the many famous cities in the country of Philippines and is part of Samar Province. The city of Calbayog is the largest amongst all the cities in the eastern Visayas region.

The city of Calbayog stretches over an area of around 90300 hectares which is actually huge when compared to the complete area on which the province of Samar stretches. The area of expansion for the city of Calbayog is more than 16 percent of the total area in which the province of Samar is located. This is huge for some single city.

The city of Calbayog experiences many types of winds that encircle the city throughout the year. These currents are Cabunghan (which is the northeast wind that hits the city), Amihan (the northern wind), Dumagsa (the south eastern wind), Canaway (the north western wind), Timog (the southern wind), Salatan (another south western wind), and Habagat (the western wind).

The city of Calbayog is also called as Typhoon city due to the number of typhoons that regularly hit the city. Although only 5 percent of the total 300 typhoons that have hit the city of Calbayog in last 6 decades have caused any harm to the locals of the city. The months between February and May are dry for the city of Calbayog else during the rest of the year the city of Calbayog experiences appreciable rainfall. This heavy rainfall helps the farmers of this city to grow different kinds of crops without facing any real problems.

The city of Calbayog has been divided into 157 different barangays where this word barangays is the Filipino word a village or a district. This reflects that how huge the city of Calbayog. The division of the city into so many barangays has helped the officials to administer the city without facing any real problems.

The city of Calbayog largely depends on agriculture while a huge chunk of this land is forest also. Around 64 percent of the land is used for agricultural purposes while the rest 36 percent is forest area. Some of the major crops that are grown by the farmers of this city are abaca, copra, various kinds of vegetables, rice, root crops, corn, bamboo, fruits, and nipa of course.

Ask our travel experts a question about Calbayog

Things about Calbayog you may be interested in

Be the first who requests a site listing for this page.

Read our members' reviews about Calbayog

No reviews have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.

Read our members' travel tips about Calbayog

No travel tips have been added yet for this category. Be the first to add a new one.


Members Who Have Been to Calbayog

See who has been to Calbayog and ask them a question (membership required)
the best travel deals provided by TravelZoo...

Calbayog City Ratings

  • Ratingunrated
    City Rankunrated
  • History & Culture: not rated
  • Night Life & Entertainment: not rated
  • Family & Fun: not rated
  • Outdoors Activities: not rated
  • Food: not rated
  • Sightseeing: not rated
  • Shopping: not rated
  • Public Transportation: not rated
  • Must visit this place: not rated
ToolsBookmark and Share

Popular destinations

   Welcome to Travelgrove  register tell a friend bookmark it