travelgrove travel forums

Forum

Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam

Forum > Asia > Vietnam  
seovnts
posted by seovnts on 13 Jun 2012
Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam
Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival, Vietnam, is held every year on the 9th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. It is one of the popular Vietnam festivals & events in Haiphong City. The preparations for this buffalo fighting festival however begin from the 5th and the 6th lunar month itself. The competing buffalos are selected and methodically trained months in advance of the Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival, Vietnam.
According to the norms of Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival, Vietnam, there should be six fighting buffalos between 4 and 5 years of age, who will participate in the final fight. The buffalos are chosen on the basis of good appearance, wide chest, big groin, long neck, and a bow shaped horn. The selected buffalos, after all the elimination rounds, are kept in separate cages separate from the common buffalos.
Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival in Vietnam begins with a colorful procession with an octet and a big procession chair, carried by six strong young men. The chosen buffalos, covered with red cloth and red band around their horns, are taken to the fighting ring by 12 young Vietnamese men, from each side dressed in red. The young men dance and wave flags as the two teams of troops take their positions in the fighting ground.
With all the excitement and anticipation building to fever pitch, the Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival begins with a riot of noise and color. With the release of the right signal a pair of buffalos is led into the fighting circle. With well practiced movements the buffalos rush into each other while the spectators shout and urge on the fighting buffaloes. The winning buffalo goes to the next round till the final winner emerges.
Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival, Vietnam, is a traditional festival of Vietnam attached to a Water God worshipping ceremony and the œHien Sinh custom to show marital spirit of the local people in Do Son, Haiphong.

stef
stef responded to Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam on 14 Jun 2012
Where exactly does this festival take place?

Elza
Elza responded to Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam on 16 Jun 2012
Hai Phong city is somewhere on the northern part of the country right? Somewhere on the coast...?

Johan
Johan responded to Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam on 20 Jun 2012
It reminds me of the bull fighting in Spain, interestingly similar...

Latika
Latika responded to Do Son Buffalo Fighting Festival Vietnam on 30 Jun 2012
This is an interesting festival of Vietnam. Huge of people participate here to enjoy bull fighting.

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

Why Vietnam? Top 10 tourist places in Vietnam

Recent Topics in Vietnam Travel Forum

Replies Views Last Post
kenguide Hotel recommendation for my upcoming Hanoi trip
by kenguide on 28 Aug 12 (inside Vietnam) Hi there!
I’m going to take a business trip to meet my partners in Hanoi. I need some help in finding some prestigious and high qualified…
4 18 Bluesky
12 Nov 12 >>
vstquanghiep Top 10 tourist places in Vietnam
by vstquanghiep on 23 Aug 12 (inside Vietnam) According to me, the top 10 places are
1 Once again, one of Seven Wonders of World, the place of dragon which is an awe…
4 103 jessicazones
19 Feb 13 >>
annathao81 Why Vietnam?
by annathao81 on 11 May 12 (inside Vietnam) 1. It's a new place. It's not touristy like in Thailand and many places you go, people go stunned by your appearance.
2. It's safe and…
5 34 annathao81
5 Feb 13 >>
seovnts Sightseeing in Vietnam
by seovnts on 26 Apr 12 (inside Vietnam) Captivating natural beauty, tranquil villages, serene lakes, ancient pagodas, beautiful lakes and what not, Vietnam is a place that bounds to attract tourists from all…
5 29 cristina
28 May 12 >>
Xuka Halong Bay in Vietnam
by Xuka on 31 Aug 11 (inside Vietnam) I had a chance to visit Halong Bay in Vietnam and Halong Bay is the best. It is one of world's natural wonders and is…
5 71 rambo
16 Apr 12 >>
vietnamstay Visa on arrival
by vietnamstay on 30 Aug 11 (inside Vietnam) HOW DO YOU GET VIETNAM VISA?
Visa on Arrival is most likely the easiest way to obtain your visa without having to chase down embassies, consulates…
1 39 juliamorvane
24 May 12 >>
annathao08 where to stay in hanoi with kid?
by annathao08 on 14 Aug 11 (inside Vietnam)
2 99 anhhao
6 Sep 11 >>
olardo Halong Bay – A Prime Destination on Vietnam Tour
by olardo on 18 Jul 11 (inside Vietnam) Halong Bay, one of the World Heritage Sites is a great scenic destination that has been attracting numerous tourists including celebrities over years. It is…
2 98 JWentworth
21 Jul 11 >>
hackermatrix Hot promotion at Diamond Bay Resort Nha Trang in Viet Nam
by hackermatrix on 14 Jul 11 (inside Vietnam) Special voucher at Diamond Bay Resort Nha Trang in Viet Nam

With $200/voucher included :
- 3 days 2 nights at Garden Deluxe room for 2…
0 46 hackermatrix
14 Jul 11 >>
jessica171 Coming to Vietnam and stop KITI Restaurant
by jessica171 on 13 May 10 (inside Vietnam) I have just come back home from Vietnam which is a small lovely country. I had travelled there for three weeks. I went to famous…
0 223 jessica171
13 May 10 >>
Other topics from seovnts Replies Views Last Post
seovnts Sightseeing in Vietnam
by seovnts on 26 Apr 12 (inside Vietnam) Captivating natural beauty, tranquil villages, serene lakes, ancient pagodas, beautiful lakes and what not, Vietnam is a place that bounds to attract tourists from all…
5 29 cristina
28 May 12 >>
Recent activity from seovnts
seovnts started the topic Sightseeing in Vietnam
Captivating natural beauty, tranquil villages, serene lakes, ancient pagodas, beautiful lakes and what not, Vietnam is a place that bounds to attract tourists from all…

Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals
  • Meet other travelers
      Welcome to Travelgrove  register  tell a friend  bookmark it