travelgrove travel forums

Forum

Travel Misfortunes

Forum > Special Destinations  
erato
posted by erato on 1 Jun 2009
Travel Misfortunes
Do you have an embarrassing story that occurred during one of your travels? Its place is here! :D Do not hesitate to share it so that others could laugh on....not on, but with you! :P

Guinevere1988
Guinevere1988 responded to Travel Misfortunes on 2 Jun 2009
One of the funniest days I ever had was when I visited Stonehenge. I took the tour bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge with a few other tourists (8 Italian guys). During the drive there was an automobile accident on the road and the bus had to stop. The driver told us to take a walk to Stonehenge because the police will soon arrive and the road will be closed for about 4 hours. We asked how far Stonehenge is and he told that it is 2 miles away. He showed the direction and we got started.
We walked for about an hour in the mud when we found a sign reading “Stonehenge 2 miles”. We cursed for a few minutes then continued. After another hour we met with a father and his three or four year old son walking. They appeared from the middle of nowhere. We asked them how far Stonehenge is. They answered “2 miles”. After another hour and a half we reached Stonehenge.
It was the end of November so we were all cold and really pissed off. We paid the entry fee then noticed that it is wired and we can’t touch the stones. After a few minutes of watching it one of the Italians spoke up: “Collosseum is prettier”, he said. I started to laugh and learned my lesson for the day: No matter how far you are Stonehenge is always 2 miles away.

Wazling
Wazling responded to Travel Misfortunes on 2 Jun 2009
Once i was on holidays with some of my friends at Prag. We went there by train. On our way back, unfortunately we didnt know that, we stopped right after the border in germany. That was really great! We only had czech money and no cash machinem was there. So we had to sit in the sun for 3 hours, without being able to get something to drink... .
And the best thing was, when we got finally our next train, soccer fans on the way back from the game, crowded the train, so that we had to go for hours, crowded like fishes in a can.

Tudi
Tudi responded to Travel Misfortunes on 2 Jun 2009
Back when I visited the United States with my Dad (around 2002), we met another Romanian living in New York, a sort of acquaintance of our family. She asked us if we could take back some stuff to her family here in Romania, mainly some old clothes and stuff like that. We agreed to do it and she packed a bagfull of old stuff, underwear included.

At airport check things were really strict back then, following the September 11 attacks and being foreign, they had us open everything up so they can manually check our bags. Needless to say how embarassed we were when the security guy opened one of the bags and the stuffed underwear and bras starting flying around :(

danpop
danpop responded to Travel Misfortunes on 6 Jun 2009
Yap, twice, at the airport. I don't know why this is always happening to me. But if I am to make an "most embarrassing" top, one of the highest position will surely be the happening from the Charleroi airport, this month. I took again my watch, my phone, and of course my belt (and i'm not exactly mister fit) and placed them in a basket, and with confidence walk through the metal detector. And what do u know, beeep-beeeep. - Excuse me sir, can I frisk you? the policeman asked, like I had a choice. - Yes of course!. He frisked me for like 5 minutes, and like that wasn't enough, a lady from the police came: -Sir, can I check your bag? -Yes, I said this like nothing can go wrong. I have to took everything out. I had a box of pizza biscuits there, opened, the lady takes it out, looks strangely at it, inside it, and asks me: -What's this? - Food, I responded, visibly embarrassed! I really like that pizza biscuits. With everything taken from the bag (and I tell you there were a lot of stuff there, including my dirty shoes and an homemade flattened sandwich which really smelled bad), she said: -Thank you sir. I said: - You're welcome, but thinking ... Why me??? I took me another 5 minutes to put everything back in and to walk somehow embarrassed to the duty free shops.

Tudi
Tudi responded to Travel Misfortunes on 23 Jun 2009
Lol Dan, they always pick on us :P

At least they were polite enough to ask if they could frisk you first :)

I just remembered another embaressing/funny moment I had during a flight to Spain. I was flying from Madrid to Valencia, a relatively short flight, yet something went wrong at check-in and I was the only one left without a seat in the plane, despite paying for my ticket days in advance!

I had to sit in the stewardess' cabin for half an hour and they delayed the flight until they could find me a seat, lol. Everyone was looking at me like I was some trouble-maker, probably thinking to themselves I'm the cause of the delay, when in fact it was a screw-up on the airline's part. Oh well, at least I saw how it's like to be a stewardess! (Minus the raunchy remarks from passangers and peanut delivery jokes).

Wazling
Wazling responded to Travel Misfortunes on 23 Jun 2009
I´ve got a similar story like Tudy.
On 2007 we flew to Dublin for the european championship soccer match against Ireland.
At London Heathrow we had an stop for houres. Then, of course too "late" we rushed to our connection flight. We had to stand half an hour in the lane for being checked. When we were checked later, we had nearly to undress ourselves, the guy told us, that we cant take liquid things in our handbagagge with us. I had to run back, to get some of these plastic bags.
When we put everything in, suddenly all was fine.
As if that could have saved the airplaine before a bomb!
Bloody hysteria!

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

Merry Cemetery in Romania

Recent Topics in Special Destinations Travel Forum

Replies Views Last Post
Tifferny Which Places are Worth Visiting in Winter?
by Tifferny on 4 Dec 14 (inside Special Destinations) Dear friends,
I'm planning to visit somewhere this winter.
But I have no idea where to go.
Would you please give me some advice?
0 8 Tifferny
4 Dec 14 >>
BespokeD Hey Anyone knows about special travel destinations in india?
by BespokeD on 1 Sep 14 (inside Special Destinations) Hello,
I am planning to visit india in next year. Can anyone suggest me travel destinations in india,which I must visit?
Thanks in advance.
1 14 krisjones
6 Oct 14 >>
adianajones Weekend Off-Beat Destination
by adianajones on 17 Apr 14 (inside Special Destinations) Hello Guy's i want to name of weekend off-beat destination near Delhi with 300 to 400 km distance. So please tell me most visited places..
1 11 Tiffany01
4 Jun 14 >>
buddyrose Climb Kilimanjaro
by buddyrose on 12 Feb 14 (inside Special Destinations) Hi everyone!
I'm climbing Kilimanjaro with my friends and we're going up there with Tusker Trail guides. Anybody here climbed Kilimanjaro already? Would you like to…
1 15 mohammadkaisar
31 Mar 14 >>
williams Have you been to RhinoTouristCamp?
by williams on 6 Nov 13 (inside Special Destinations) Your holiday could be spend better if you visit wildlife camps. This rhino's camp gave me a unique and fantastic experience. I really enjoyed the…
5 13 Tenny
30 Dec 13 >>
holidayrentals Looking for a summer holiday in Cyprus. Where to stay?
by holidayrentals on 30 May 13 (inside Special Destinations) Hi, I’m looking for a fun-filled summer holiday in Cyprus. Could you suggest me the best places to stay at and enjoy the breathtaking sea…
2 17 victorbritts
19 Jul 13 >>
hiba did anyone here visit saint etienne france?
by hiba on 13 Aug 12 (inside Special Destinations) how was? is it worth the trip? what can you do there for fun? I'm traveling for a month and I'm worried it will be…
5 16 cristina
7 Sep 12 >>
egypttravelcc egypttravelcc
by egypttravelcc on 1 Aug 12 (inside Special Destinations) Enjoy an in-depth exploration of the archaeological treasures of Cairo, Alexandria, Upper Egypt, and Abu Simbel. Revel onboard a luxury Nile Cruise. Experience firsthand the…
2 5 Johan
14 Aug 12 >>
ercotravels How To find good travel destination in north india?
by ercotravels on 30 Apr 12 (inside Special Destinations) What are the best places to go on a vacation in Northern India?
3 31 athenalove
10 May 12 >>
sarasteini Iceland for All Seasons
by sarasteini on 29 Apr 12 (inside Special Destinations) Want to have a hassle-free travel plan when visiting Iceland? Iceland offers a great variety of Iceland Tour Packages via iceland-nordictravel.com. Iceland is a land…
5 13 cristina
25 May 12 >>
Other topics from erato Replies Views Last Post
erato English Breakfast vs. Continental Breakfast
by erato on 20 Apr 09 (inside Hotels) Could anyone tell me please what is the difference between English and Continental breakfast? Hotel rooms with Continental breakfast are much cheaper. Why is that…
6 3289 erato
23 Apr 09 >>
erato Seniors Home Exchange
by erato on 22 Apr 09 (inside Round the World Travel) I just found a site offering "straight vacation exchanges" for elder people (over 50). The base idea is to change your home with somebody else…
7 485 khalid2167
8 Jun 09 >>
erato Ski in Las Vegas?
by erato on 23 Apr 09 (inside Las Vegas) Can you really ski in Las Vegas? On which part of it? I just checked and saw there is currently 31 C degrees in Vegas.…
1 194 stef
24 Apr 09 >>
erato What one-way car rental means?
by erato on 29 Apr 09 (inside Car Rentals) Can anyone explain to me? Thanks.
6 1246 mikehenry
13 Apr 12 >>
erato Any word limit for articles in Travelgrove's contest?
by erato on 1 May 09 (inside Travelgrove Q and A) I'm just wondering seeing shorter articles (10 points) than some of my reviews (3 point). Is there any limit? Thanks.
2 441 zlori
16 Aug 11 >>
Recent activity from erato
erato added a new post in the topic need to have information for accommodation in borad beach
Hey,
Check out TripAdvisor reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g658842-d275621-Reviews-Phoenician_Resort_Broadbeach-Broadbeach_Gold_Coast_Queensland.html
Or run a search on Travelgrove and find reviews w/ prices at providers' sites.
erato added a new post in the topic Top 10 Canadian Beaches
Basin Head? PE Island is my dream destination because of the series Road to Avonlea. Do you happen to know, is Basin Head near the…
erato added a new post in the topic How to get the cheapest hotel deals?
Hi,
First of all, you should look here, on Travelgrove's hotel search, there are some pretty good rates here.
erato added a new post in the topic Hirtshals - Aalborg
@carolgreen616: I know there's train service too, but I could not find it online..
yet what I could find was a bus taking 1h 15m…
erato added a new post in the topic Finland falls out of love with EU
I'm not sure what's the point here.. (?) 
Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals
  • Meet other travelers
      Welcome to Travelgrove  register  tell a friend  bookmark it