travelgrove travel forums

Forum

How do you plan?

Forum > Itinerary Discussion  
will161
posted by will161 on 5 Apr 2012
How do you plan?
I'm trying to break down the process of how people plan their trips and holidays.

A lot of people I have spoken to say that they often change their mind and end up doing something different to what they originally planned. Is that the case? If so, what makes you change your mind? Pictures or stories of other places to try? Friends? The cost or last minute deals you come across?

If you wanted to research a holiday, is there only Google and TripAdvisor that offer you the best info? If you want inspiration, where do you go? How do you send the info to friends/family you are traveling with? A long email?

Any insights would be much appreciated! Sorry for all the questions!

norfolkjon
norfolkjon responded to How do you plan? on 6 Apr 2012
Sometimes I do change my mind about certain details - not the whole plan. This can have more causes, financial (I find a cheaper airline), practical (hotel closer to city center) or similar things.

tibi
tibi responded to How do you plan? on 8 Apr 2012
When I choose a destination, I check everything about it on the Internet, area, hotel I want to stay in, nearby attractions, restaurants etc. Yes, Tripadvisor is a good start usually, but I prefer to use multiple sources.

Jackie
Jackie responded to How do you plan? on 10 Apr 2012
I would usually plan a lot before a vacation, but then stick to that plan. I do a lot of research about the place we go as well as before booking a flight, hotel or car. We check a lot of websites before we book anything.
When traveling in a group - usually family or close friends, we discuss details on the phone and in person to avoid any misunderstandings. 
Hope this helped your planning of a travel planning. :)

nadya1
nadya1 responded to How do you plan? on 16 Apr 2012
I always have a alternative if i think this plan can be change. First i plan the where i want to go then discuss to whom i want to involved. Accordingly to finalize the but always with some alternative.

regalsedan550
regalsedan550 responded to How do you plan? on 17 Apr 2012
before thailand, holidays revolved around romantic breaks in different locations. then around theme park or beach for kids. then no kids, and around scuba diving, warm water. since living here, and diving is mediocre at best, have plenty of time to research the country, whether local forums, or google. google being essential, as offering different opinions from different sources. accommodation reviews from booking sites, sawadee and forums are good to have. teakdoor is a good reference site for things in thailand, as many post trip reports.

fairly independent and experienced, so only ask on forums if really stuck and need info. take 2 long holidays a year here, school breaks, and check out what festivals are going on, then plan around beach and weather. historical sites and thai history. can even search shopping expos, and on ticketmaster mailing list for upcoming show. EC was excellent, and gave me a chance to check out a new area, nonthaburi.

usually go on the fly, self drive and do a certain area, north / west border, the northeast. or straight to bkk, then along the gulf coast toward phuket. if conditions good, don't make it phuket, if so so, end up in phuket.

always something new or i haven't seen in bkk. as i change and the kid gets older now, we pick different venues and activities.

used to stick with plans fairly good, fly or drive to destination, stay there, short outing, then return. now retired, take it slow and more thorough holidays of any area i'm in. especially here, it a pretty small country, and a lot is 'same same but different' do find some interesting things at times, others, it's just R & R and food....LOL

a77isonbay
a77isonbay responded to How do you plan? on 23 Apr 2012
our last couple of vacation destinations were decided by brides who were getting married. So we planned our vacation around the area where the wedding took place.

Elisa
Elisa responded to How do you plan? on 14 Aug 2012
This tool can help you when planning your trip: way-away.com
3 easy steps!

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

ten reasons to visit Cameroon Help for independent travellers! Plan your trip easier and faster!

Recent Topics in Itinerary Discussion Travel Forum

Replies Views Last Post
Elisa Help for independent travellers! Plan your trip easier and faster!
by Elisa on 11 Jul 12 (inside Itinerary Discussion) Are you an independent traveller? Do you like travelling by your own or with friends/couple/family but not with an agency? We have something in common…
3 9 Elisa
14 Aug 12 >>
globalbushtour ten reasons to visit Cameroon
by globalbushtour on 18 Aug 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) 1. Its enormous scenic diversity(sea side, mangroves, jungle, mountains, highlands and desert).
2. Its secuity(Cameroon is a politically stable country since many decades with a warm…
0 74 globalbushtour
18 Aug 11 >>
sweety distance
by sweety on 23 Mar 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) How far is Kingston from Trelawny, and driving how long it takes. Thank you!
1 594 zlori
24 Mar 11 >>
marlyn Do we need a visa if i travel to singapore and taiwan
by marlyn on 21 Mar 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) And if i travel to singapore and then going to taipei taiwan for tourist what documents do we need and how much is the fare…
1 825 zangazanga
8 Jun 11 >>
jdwhite9 New Orleans to Iasi
by jdwhite9 on 21 Mar 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) What routing from the US would get me the best fare, even if I need to take a 12 hour, or less, train trip?
1 499 tylerd
8 Jun 11 >>
Fikrtedam About Assab
by Fikrtedam on 9 Mar 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) Is there tourist infrastructure in Assab? What about bank, power, and other services? What are tourist attraction areas? and the like.
1 505 jonssmith2
3 Feb 12 >>
Karen615 travel by boat
by Karen615 on 19 Feb 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) I am looking for travel arrangements for my father 78 and I - he needs to have oxygen bottles and traveling with an air line…
0 530 Karen615
19 Feb 11 >>
zxcv9998 asahikawa ramen mura
by zxcv9998 on 30 Jan 11 (inside Itinerary Discussion) how to get to asahikawa ramen mura from a JR Asahikawa?
0 347 zxcv9998
30 Jan 11 >>
carmencita I'm looking for a multiple destination flight
by carmencita on 21 Aug 08 (inside Itinerary Discussion) I'm looking for a multiple destination flight : depatring :SCL/aug. 15/ to NYC-Departing NYC /Aug. 22/ to MIA - departing from MIA to SCL/ Aug.27…
1 313 zlorii
25 Aug 08 >>
harrypotter Cheaper to fly or train/boat from London to Cairo?
by harrypotter on 21 Aug 08 (inside Itinerary Discussion) Does anyone know if it would be cheaper to fly from London to Cairo or to take a train and boat combo? Any suggestions who…
1 297 lindamura
8 Jun 11 >>
Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals
  • Meet other travelers
      Welcome to Travelgrove  register  tell a friend  bookmark it