travelgrove travel forums

Forum

Sarong?

Forum > Dos and Donts  
posted by anonymous on 18 Oct 2004
Sarong?
what exactly is it and when do you use it? how about swimming in the rivers or at the waterfalls in laos: do local people accept bikini or better swimming suit? we don't want to offend them!

travelgrove-editor
travelgrove-editor responded to Sarong? on 18 Oct 2004
I was in Laos about 1 1/2 years ago. Whereever you go, you need to respect the people and their culture. Why? For two reasons. Your are visiting their country! Secondly, people are simply very very nice to you around the world if you show respect for their culture. So if you want to have fun there, make sure you stick to that philosophy.

To your Questions:
A Sarong looks like a towel or sheet. It's usually used after taking your bath. Many places still use it as regular clothes.

As Far as the swimming in rivers go. You may go ahead and do that. I went swimming in several waterfalls in Laos.

Keep in mind. Whether it's guys or girls, people all over South East Asia reject nudity in public. A bikini should be ok, but please don't make it an extremely tight cut.
My friend who lived there for 6 months was always wearing a Bikini so I assume that was ok. But then again, it always depends on how you present yourself. And also, I believe we weren't seen by many people at the waterfall, maybe just a few tourists and some other friends who were with us.

BTW, the same counts for the guys. Always wear a T-Shirt, no matter how hot it is. Showing skin is not exactly what you want to do there :)

Have fun in Laos,

It's beautiful

martha331
martha331 responded to Sarong? on 26 Mar 2006
Good topic! Very useful :)

jlovelace
jlovelace responded to Sarong? on 24 Apr 2009
A sarong can be used for many different things. I found this sarong site. http://www.1worldsarongs.com

Here are the top ten (ok top eleven) most popular sarong uses:
1. Sexy Skirt
2. Quick Bathing Suit Cover-up
3. Dress Toga
4. Curtains
5. Shawl / Scarf
6. Wall Art
7. Table / Seat / Couch Cover
8. Beach Blanket
9. Turban
10. Fabric to Make Clothing
11. Your choice!

ultimatetravel
ultimatetravel responded to Sarong? on 15 May 2009
Here in the Philippines, sarong is used to cover up a woman's body especially when strolling around the beach shorelines, it can even be converted into a dress and wrap around the neck, or a skirt wrap around the waist.

Philippines is kinda a conservative country but with a gist of liberation, you can wear bikini etc here, we are already atuned to people wearing bikinis etc especially foreigners.

Brilliant1987
Brilliant1987 responded to Sarong? on 29 Jun 2011
Hello,Beach Sarongs are the classic clothes and can reflect the women' particular beauty.we export diverse beach sarongs,hat ,sunglasses,and like this decorations .Our price is definitely reasonable,if you are interested in these stuff,let us know.A quiet click under your finger will give you a surprise and change your boring lives. Our website:www.lpisb.com email:2005@x-fee.com

simplelife
simplelife responded to Sarong? on 8 Jul 2011
I have a beautiful Italy Muslin (chiffon touch) beach wrap. like the above friends said i can wrap it into a dress, skirt, swimsuit cover-up,use as a shawl, curtain, table-cloth, wall tapestry, scarf,etc.
This wrap is made of Italy muslin, which is designed and made very well. The sarong's surface is very smooth and soft. This scarf is one of your good accessories for warmness and decoration. You can wear it according to your favorites. And this sarong is also a very great present for your friend or dear family! Please click on the pictures to see its details more clearly! You will find this sarong more exquisite! i bought if from here: www.lpisb.com.low price but worth to have one.hehe.

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

IPhone owners need to turn off data-push option

Recent Topics in Dos and Donts Travel Forum

Replies Views Last Post
cucvht Vietnam - Do and Don't
by cucvht on 24 Nov 11 (inside Dos and Donts) Vietnamese society has a fair amount of public etiquette. The following are some of the more common points:
. Avoid public displays of affection with a…
4 152 Aladam888
29 Aug 12 >>
linabu How to make friends when traveling alone
by linabu on 22 Jul 11 (inside Dos and Donts) These are good tips to make when friends when you travel alone
http://rumbum.com/2138-how-to-make-friends-when-traveling-alone
4 128 Aladam888
30 Aug 12 >>
abeth HOW TO TRAVEL ALONE
by abeth on 23 Nov 10 (inside Dos and Donts) I AM A MILD STROKE PATIENT AND I WANT TO TRAVEL TO SAN FRANCISCO ALONE IS IT OKEY FOR TO BE ALONE AND I JUST…
1 104 erato
24 Nov 10 >>
Tenedrearsesy It is for every www.travelgrove.com habitants!!!
by Tenedrearsesy on 19 Mar 09 (inside Dos and Donts) Hi all This is my favorite site for travelers :)
1 1120 ultimatetravel
16 May 09 >>
MadSuh IPhone owners need to turn off data-push option
by MadSuh on 12 Dec 08 (inside Dos and Donts) Make sure when you travel overseas, you turn off your Data Push option. While other phones force you to call in to check your voice…
0 1748 MadSuh
12 Dec 08 >>
Other topics from Anonymous Replies Views Last Post
* road 13 VTE- LP
by Anonymous on 17 Oct 04 (inside Lao People's Republic) has anybody the latest news about security on this trip? some foreign affair ministries say don't do it others say it is ok now. it's…
1 1435 windykaty
17 Oct 04 >>
* guesthouse at nong khiaw
by Anonymous on 10 Oct 04 (inside Lao People's Republic) any recommendations on where to sleep in nong khiaw? if possible with private bathroom.
and one more question: how long does it take and how…
1 1100 Sistazzione
13 Oct 04 >>
* accomodation at luang namtha
by Anonymous on 17 Oct 04 (inside Lao People's Republic) any other nice accommodation besides the boatlanding? with private bathroom, clean, quiet, bungalow. budget is possible up to $20. thanks
2 1418 travelgrove-editor
17 Oct 04 >>
* vientiane accomodation
by Anonymous on 17 Oct 04 (inside Vientiane) did anybody stay or hear about these two guesthouses: 1) Vayakorn guesthouse and 2) mali namphu guesthouse. we are looking for a nice QUIET guesthouse/…
3 1369 Wazling
12 May 09 >>
* muang ngoi neua to luang namtha
by Anonymous on 17 Oct 04 (inside Lao People's Republic) how many hours does it take and which would be the "fastest" way? can i rent a private vehicle once i get to oudomxai if…
2 1551 MadSuh
8 Jun 11 >>
Recent activity from anonymous
started the topic road 13 VTE- LP
has anybody the latest news about security on this trip? some foreign affair ministries say don't do it others say it is ok now. it's…
started the topic muang ngoi neua to luang namtha
how many hours does it take and which would be the "fastest" way? can i rent a private vehicle once i get to oudomxai if…
started the topic vientiane accomodation
did anybody stay or hear about these two guesthouses: 1) Vayakorn guesthouse and 2) mali namphu guesthouse. we are looking for a nice QUIET guesthouse/…
started the topic accomodation at luang namtha
any other nice accommodation besides the boatlanding? with private bathroom, clean, quiet, bungalow. budget is possible up to $20. thanks
started the topic guesthouse at nong khiaw
any recommendations on where to sleep in nong khiaw? if possible with private bathroom.
and one more question: how long does it take and how…
Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals
  • Meet other travelers
      Welcome to Travelgrove  register  tell a friend  bookmark it