travelgrove travel forums

Forum

European Cruises Anyone?

Forum > Cruises  
Tudi
posted by Tudi on 22 May 2009
European Cruises Anyone?
I've been dying to go on a cruise for the past years, ever since my cousin got a job on a trans-atlantic cruiser and he keeps telling me these great stories. Thing is, I've looked at the prices and I'd rather try out a closer-to-home cruise. Anyone that has any experience with European cruises? Any good destinations and companies that you've dealt with and were left satisfied that you got your money's worth?

lifecruiser
lifecruiser responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 22 May 2009
Generally I've found the prices too expensive, except if going when not high season, but then on the other hand bad weather can occur.... and I'm seasick very easily so...

The only ones you can get really cheap, seem to be the short ones between Sweden - Finland or Estonia.

iluveurope
iluveurope responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 28 May 2009
I love cruising, 8 and counting. I went on my first Med cruise in 2006 and again in 2008. I have another one planned for May 12, 2010 to the Baltics.

Tudi
Tudi responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 28 May 2009
Mmm, a Mediteraneea cruise sounds really tempting. What were the locations you cruised between iluveurope?

Closest I came to a mediteraneea cruise was this spring, when I took a short trip to Venice and got there by boat :P You could hardly call that a boat ride, it was more like a taxi trip back and forth, but still, it whet my appetite for sea travel and sparked the salty sea dog spirit in me for some future waterbound adventures. Arrr.

iluveurope
iluveurope responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 29 May 2009
The cruise in 2006 we went to Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Venice, Sicily, Barcelona, Cannes and Florence.

The one in 2008 we went to Rome, Naples, Marmaris, Izmir, Istanbul, Athens, Katakolon and Florence.

Our cruise next year goes to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk and Oslo.

lifecruiser
lifecruiser responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 29 May 2009
Is it mostly time to enjoy at the cruise ship or is it really time enough in each port?

I've always get the feeling that I would want to see more of the places, so therefor I haven't booked any other cruises - yet.

iluveurope
iluveurope responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 29 May 2009
You normally spend 1 day in each port and might be able to see 1 or 2 sights, unless the ship is in port for 2 days as it is in Venice, Rome and St. Petersburg. I like waking up in a new port each day, but there is not enough time to savor each location. I use a cruise as a sounding board to see if I like the cities I am visiting and then go back on a land vacation.

Tudi
Tudi responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 2 Jun 2009
"Our cruise next year goes to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk and Oslo."

Wow, that's a powerful trip. I've only been to Oslo of the places you're going to visit and it's an incredibly city, although I fount it atypical for a capital.

My parents also visited St. Petersburg recently and they said it was one of the most memorable towns they've seen in their lives.

Usually when I think of a cruise, I think sun, calm sea, exotic destinations, but now that you've mentioned your future trip, a fjord-cruise doesn't sound too bad either :)

Lucila110
Lucila110 responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 4 Aug 2009
Mediterranean trip could be nice, but i also find more fascinating the Scandinavian part of Europe.
If you stop also in Copenhagen,I can give you some tips what you shouldn't miss there and you can manage it in short time: Cristiana Town,Little Mermaid, Tivoli Garden

for more look here:
http://www.denmark.net/denmark-guide/places/copenhagen.html
http://www.denmark.net/blogs/denmark/layover-copenhagen-now-what-266950.html

Enjoy your trip

iluveurope
iluveurope responded to European Cruises Anyone? on 4 Aug 2009
Lucila110, thank you very much, that is very helpful.

This topic was posted more than 2 months ago. If you have a similar question to this one, please start a new topic.

Best cruise deals Seasickness

Recent Topics in Cruises Travel Forum

Replies Views Last Post
anhsonparadise Award-Winning Museum in Halong Bay
by anhsonparadise on 30 May 14 (inside Cruises) After being awarded the title of ‘construction of the year 2013’ by the Vietnam Urban Development and Planning Association, the Quang Ninh Provincial Library and…
1 10 Tiffany01
3 Jun 14 >>
thaodp89 Tips when booking a cruise tour in Halong Bay
by thaodp89 on 6 Jul 12 (inside Cruises) Hi guys! After the sunk boat accident in Halong bay, safe travel to Halong is the best problems of tourists when visit here. And now…
3 81 Sophia
14 Aug 12 >>
* Cruise to Caribbean island
by Anonymous on 30 May 12 (inside Cruises) Late June - August is the best time for Cruising to Caribbean island. You can make a plan to cruise to Caribbean island to up…
3 17 Malika
6 Jun 12 >>
* Cruise Deals
by Anonymous on 26 Apr 12 (inside Cruises) How nice it is to go anywhere and explore and discover the hidden treasures of the earth.Experience and enjoy the latest cool deals in cruises.
3 26 sunnybeach
10 May 12 >>
james34 Looking for a cruise
by james34 on 9 Mar 12 (inside Cruises) Can you please help me find a cruise from the port of charleston around april 13th
6 29 frivgames
25 Apr 12 >>
worldwide Mega Yachts charter: what you can look forward to
by worldwide on 23 May 11 (inside Cruises) Mega yachts made their presence felt, in the recent past due to an array of affluent businessmen as well as traders who initiated the process…
1 174 Malika
7 Jun 11 >>
cabinlust single traveling
by cabinlust on 16 Mar 11 (inside Cruises) last year i had a great cruise booked by expedia and was able to get a single room for a lesser price than double occupancy.…
1 140 danpop
8 Jun 11 >>
blackangel_66 Travel protection on cruises
by blackangel_66 on 16 Oct 09 (inside Cruises) What does a travel protection of a cruise cover? Is it worth to buy one when I go on a cruise vacation?
4 578 jadera
21 Jul 11 >>
zsoldicsa Smoking on a cruise ship
by zsoldicsa on 28 Sep 09 (inside Cruises) I would like to know if I can smoke on the ship during my cruise or what is the policy for smokers on cruise ships?
1 536 zangazanga
28 Sep 09 >>
erato Tuxedo to my cruise
by erato on 10 Sep 09 (inside Cruises) Will we need to get a tuxedo and evening dress with us to our cruise?
1 521 blackangel_66
10 Sep 09 >>
Other topics from Tudi Replies Views Last Post
Tudi Seaside Travel - Noise Versus Chill
by Tudi on 22 May 09 (inside Romania) Ever since me and my friend were kids, we've made it a habit to visit the Romanian sea side every summer. Until a couple of…
1 383 lifecruiser
22 May 09 >>
Tudi Where on Earth? - Awesome Travel Game
by Tudi on 2 Jun 09 (inside General Talk) I just stumbled upon this cool travel-related game made by Koko Digital called "Where on Earth?". It's similar to TravelIQ:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/kokodigital/where-on-earth
The only problem is that being…
0 286 Tudi
2 Jun 09 >>
Recent activity from Tudi
Tudi added a new post in the topic Travel Misfortunes
Lol Dan, they always pick on us :P
At least they were polite enough to ask if they could frisk you first :)
I just remembered another…
Tudi added a new post in the topic How to make it better?
I've noticed that sometimes the "last post by " thing doesn't get updated. So for example, I replied to a post, but instead of showing…
Tudi added a new post in the topic Hedgehog :)
Hahah, so I guess he was angry in the last picture there, because he was all curled up. Did you call him fat or something,…
Tudi added a new post in the topic Remember your first ride in an airplane?
Oh, are we also counting "I can't remember but I know I was there" type of flights Lifecruiser? Because if so, I flew from Cluj-Napoca…
Tudi added a new post in the topic International cocktail party
Bit of delay, but we got something going on here Lifecruiser:
http://travelgrove.com/blog/travel-tips/best-summer-cocktails/
I can also tell you how I got smashed on cocktails and write a post…
Some stuff

you can do on the forum

• Share travel experiences
  • Create your own profile
  • Write travel journals
  • Upload travel pictures
  • Save travel deals
  • Meet other travelers
      Welcome to Travelgrove  register  tell a friend  bookmark it